• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 6 - The Final Showdown - Olyphant & Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

phaze

whoa whoa whoa
2>6>2>2>2>2>2>1>4>3>5

Well you have the right season in the last place at least !

Did nobody not get Forest Gump vibes out of that scene?

Yeah, all I could think of.
Season 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6 - great.
Season 5 - good.

That's the only ranking or evaluation I feel like making.

Hate that nitpicky shit.

All in good fun.
2,3,6 - Great
4- Good
1,5 - Alright to middling.

That was incredible. That and "I've been to Mordor".

This season's writing is about the strongest in the show's history.

Yeah, it always had some great lines but not in such a great number and consistency.

Season 5 pulled it together pretty great for the last few episodes but it had no fucking clue what it was doing for it's middle half.

Meaningless over-the-top body counts are a pet peeve of mine in these shows and a sure sign of sloppy writing and S5 was a repeat offender. (Will Sasso trololololol)

Still, last few episodes wrapped up pretty well. There's half of a great season there. The Crowe family dynamic was wonderful.

Edit: Woah, didn't even see how this got started by someone spewing on this season. WTF? It's been masterful.

The first half of season one is still so weird, in the grand scheme of the show. When I recommend the show to people I always have to explain how it's going to seem like a CBS cop show for old people for the first six episodes or so, but it will get better.

That's something I love about Rachel and Tim. They seem just straight out of CBS or USA network bland casting, yet the show found a way to give them a hook without overselling them. Tim's been killing it this season.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That's something I love about Rachel and Tim. They seem just straight out of CBS or USA network bland casting, yet the show found a way to give them a hook without overselling them. Tim's been killing it this season.

Tim's been great this year. Rachel...not so much. Unfortunately.

Yeah, not so much this season :(

She took it like a boss but it sucks they felt like there was only enough plot left to set her up to fail.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Season 5 pulled it together pretty great for the last few episodes but it had no fucking clue what it was doing for it's middle half.

Meaningless over-the-top body counts are a pet peeve of mine in these shows and a sure sign of sloppy writing and S5 was a repeat offender. (Will Sasso trololololol)

Still, last few episodes wrapped up pretty well. There's half of a great season there. The Crowe family dynamic was wonderful.

Edit: Woah, didn't even see how this got started by someone spewing on this season. WTF? It's been masterful.

Yeah season 5 starts out ok, but the middle is mostly a drag. I think there was just too much time outside of Harlan and Kentucky, and the Crowes were lame (well, mostly Daryl imo). Once Daryl finds the money that Raylan gives to Kendall, the season really picks up for the last few. I think the interrogation scene with Raylan and Kendall was awesome, as was Raylan getting Kendall charged as an adult and Daryl's death. Danny's death was perfect too lol. I also liked the bit with Eric Roberts and the Harris brothers.

scabro

that one actor leaving the show in the middle of shooting season 5 really left them scrambling. it was still pretty enjoyable though, i find it almost impossible to dislike this show.

What the hell is Sepinwall even trying to get at, here
I rewatched the pilot:
My Thoughts
Tommy Bucks put a stick of dynamite in Raylan's partners mouth and lit the fuse. Which is what triggered the events. Boyd has Dynamite. Not saying that's going to happen, but it's a helluva set up...hmmmmm, there are a few other moments I could see happening (The Marshall's being pinned down by gun thugs and Raylan having to at Boyd alone, etc)

Alpende

The first half of season one is still so weird, in the grand scheme of the show. When I recommend the show to people I always have to explain how it's going to seem like a CBS cop show for old people for the first six episodes or so, but it will get better.

I actually stopped watching the show because of the first few episodes. After a couple of months I returned and powered trough them and have been enjoying the show so far.

Exodist

I actually don't remember much of season 1, just kinda remember it being a sort of procedural case of the week sorta thing. Like when they had that random episode about that dentist guy? I think that was season 1 anway. I still enjoyed the show but yeah it got much better fast.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
People always complain about the first season being procedural, which it kind of was, but it was still a lot better than most procedural shows are. Procedural in and of itself is not a negative thing, the term just kind of implies a pretty well-worn or cliched type of writing. The show is certainly way better after that, but I enjoyed it at that time anyway. Especially the dentist episode which was great.

Quidam

I'm sure it's been discussed in this thread already, but how annoyingly likely is it that Boone is gonna kill Raylan. Shows seem to love doing the "hero undone by character introduced very late in the show's run" trope recently

(I'm not saying I definitely think it'll happen, but it sure seems possible...)

I watched the first couple of episodes of season 1 On Demand. It was a Saturday night after the movie "A Perfect Getaway" premiered on HBO. After that finished, t was thinking, hey, doesn't that Tim guy have a TV show now? let me see if I can find a re-run? nope, let's see if Comcast does and they did, so I watched at least 2 or 3 that way and was hooked in.

MisterR

People always complain about the first season being procedural, which it kind of was, but it was still a lot better than most procedural shows are. Procedural in and of itself is not a negative thing, the term just kind of implies a pretty well-worn or cliched type of writing. The show is certainly way better after that, but I enjoyed it at that time anyway. Especially the dentist episode which was great.

I enjoyed the procedural episodes. They all felt very Elmore Leonard short story.

I felt they really established who Boyd and Raylan was and who Harlan (as a character, not just a setting) was...so really, I think it laid some important groundwork they were able to expand upon in all the subsequent seasons.

Good reason for that. Some of those episodes were adapted from his novels Pronto and Riding the Rap. Couple of pages about those here and here.

Fun bit of trivia: James LeGros was the first person to play Raylan Givens onscreen, in a TV-Movie (Showtime) adaptation of Pronto, opposite Peter Falk as Harry Arno.

scabro

Who did this? I'm drawing a blank on missing someone.

it was the haitian. I remember there was an interview where Yost said that having the actor suddenly not being available really messed up their plans and it took them a while to get back on track. Don't remember why he had to leave though,

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Fun bit of trivia: James LeGros was the first person to play Raylan Givens onscreen, in a TV-Movie (Showtime) adaptation of Pronto, opposite Peter Falk as Harry Arno.

I haven't seen that myself, but I do remember reading about that in relation to him playing Wade Messer on this. Pretty neat.

it was the haitian. I remember there was an interview where Yost said that having the actor suddenly not being available really messed up their plans and it took them a while to get back on track. Don't remember why he had to leave though,

He just didn't like where they were taking his character if I remember right.

I haven't seen that myself, but I do remember reading about that in relation to him playing Wade Messer on this. Pretty neat.

It's pretty hard to track down.

here's a picture, though.

pronto_james.jpg

I'm sure it's been discussed in this thread already, but how annoyingly likely is it that Boone is gonna kill Raylan. Shows seem to love doing the "hero undone by character introduced very late in the show's run" trope recently

(I'm not saying I definitely think it'll happen, but it sure seems possible...)

He's not going to die but even if he does, it'll be at Boyd's hands. I can't see it going any other way.

Matriox

Oh that makes sense. I was really pissed about that whole thing and now that explains everything.

Linius

Man, I'm so not ready to say goodbye to this show. And then to think that Mad Men ends only about 5 weeks after this. Sad times.

I'm glad the show is going out before it gets bad. Last season had sniffs of a sharp decline, but they stabilized well at the end of that season and throughout this one.

Top Bottom