• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience |OT|

I think that I have warmed up to Suit & Tie. The Jay-Z verse isn't that bad, either.

Years of distress, tears on the dress
Try to hide her face with some makeup sex

I actually love those two lines from Jay. So good and sounds so slick.

Pavaloo

Dunno m8s, these songs fly by faster than most 4 minute songs for me.
I feel the same way. I don't find any of these songs any less interesting than I did What Goes Around Comes Around when it comes to length.
This is awesome. Watch him groove
I think that I have warmed up to Suit & Tie. The Jay-Z verse isn't that bad, either.

Yeah it's a good verse. Fits the song, lyrically and the flow with the beat switchup, which the track benefits from cause you can't be high octane all the time. Jay didn't need to spit hard on this track. It's a solid Jay verse with a lot of sincerity in it.
No, only one person will ever have that title...
Now the old king is dead, long live the king.
edit: beaten.
JT has always gone for MJ comparisons too

overcast

Now I just want part 2.

Songs are perfectly good length. I would say pusher love is the one that goes on too long. And you can just skip that.

Now I just want part 2.

Songs are perfectly good length. I would say pusher love is the one that goes on too long. And you can just skip that.

Same and I think for me, Pusher Love would've been awesome if the outro shared some of the elements of Suit & Tie, because damn if don't love the sound of S&T as it evokes that 'jazz club' feeling (similar to the bud light commercial that uses S&T in it).

IMO (with no specific order within the tiers):

Tier One:
Pusha Love Girl
Strawberry Bubblegum
That Girl
Tunnel Vision

Tier Two:
Suit and Tie (would probably be Tier One if not the lead single and having not heard it every day since)
Let The Groove Get In (only song i have issue with length-wise. Could delete a min+ around the 2 min mark)
Mirrors
Dont Hold The Wall

Tier Three:
Spaceship Coupe
Blue Ocean Floor

Tiers One and Two are pretty damn close though

Korey

Anyone feel like they should've done one track with some dubstep influence? Would've elevated the album from an 8 to a 9 at least

Uh, should he balance some heavy metal in there as well?

If it can be done, I don't see why not. I mean, if Blue Ocean Floor can be inspired by Radiohead, there's probably some heavy metal track that could be worked in somehow.

...The beat alone for 'Don't Hold the Wall' goes from Indian music to an MJ-sounding track with a simple transition so again, if it can be done, why not go for it.

Servbot24

Banned
My point is that JT is going for class and dubstep is generally the opposite of that. Sure, it could be done... but why would you. It'd just be a completely bizarre thing to throw in there. Yes there are several influences on 20/20 but they all work within the logic of the album to achieve groove and smoothness, neither of which are dubstep strong points.

I'll let Timbo work his magic by making the music he wants, not forcing himself into generic confines for the hell of it.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but "let's throw a dubstep song in there, kids love that, right?" just sounds awful.

Pavaloo

My point is that JT is going for class and dubstep is generally the opposite of that. Sure, it could be done... but why would you. It'd just be a completely bizarre thing to throw in there. Yes there are several influences on 20/20 but they all work within the logic of the album to achieve groove and smoothness, neither of which are dubstep strong points.

I'll let Timbo work his magic by making the music he wants, not forcing himself into generic confines for the hell of it.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but "let's throw a dubstep song in there, kids love that, right?" just sounds awful.

You are not alone in this line of thought.

tribal24

Banned
IMO (with no specific order within the tiers):

Tier One:
Pusha Love Girl
Strawberry Bubblegum
That Girl
Tunnel Vision

Tier Two:
Suit and Tie (would probably be Tier One if not the lead single and having not heard it every day since)
Let The Groove Get In (only song i have issue with length-wise. Could delete a min+ around the 2 min mark)
Mirrors
Dont Hold The Wall

Tier Three:
Spaceship Coupe
Blue Ocean Floor

Tiers One and Two are pretty damn close though

pretty much my tier list!!!

I get what you're saying and agree with it, but I also wouldn't mind hearing something completely off the wall for Vol. 2 - even if it was for one track. I doubt that they'd throw in dubstep just because, but if Tim finds a way to incorporate it into a track that makes it work, I'm not going to immediately hate the song because of it.

Servbot24

Banned
Tier One:
Pusher Love Girl
Suit & Tie
Don't Hold the Wall
Strawberry Bubblegum
Blue Ocean Floor

Tier Two:
Tunnel Vision
Spaceship Coupe
Mirrors

Tier Three:
That Girl
Let the Groove Get In

I get what you're saying and agree with it, but I also wouldn't mind hearing something completely off the wall for Vol. 2 - even if it was for one track. I doubt that they'd throw in dubstep just because, but if Tim finds a way to incorporate it into a track that makes it work, I'm not going to immediately hate the song because of it.

I definitely agree I want some unexpected production, I just don't want them to be like "well I guess this genre's popular, let's do it." Do something new. Leave dubstep for Bieber and Taylor Swift to ape.

For the record I'm well aware of "actually good" dubstep, and there's a little more potential there, but I still feel like it's characteristically too dark and desolate.

Milchjon

Tier One:
Mirrors
Tunnel Vision

Tier Two:
Don't Hold The Wall
Let The Groove Get In
The bonus tracks

Tier Three :
The rest

Tier Four:
Suit & Tie
Maybe Spaceship Coupe and That Girl

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Cohesiveness > forcing sounds into your album to meet some quota. I don't think there are any cases I can think of where the opposite is true, that'd correlate pretty highly with removing creative control for the artist.

Sorry, but 20/20 is probably better because it doesn't have pop/dance and pandering singles forced in. It's a gem in that respect. Honestly, listening to the album more and more, I think might actually prefer it to FS/LS because of the cohesiveness. The highs are not as high as the highest point of FS/LS, Losing My Way, but they're all still pretty good.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Solo Efforts Tier
Strawberry Bubblegum
Don't Hold The Wall
Mirrors

N'Sync Tier
Pusher Lover Girl
Tunnel Vision
Spaceship Coupe
Blue Ocean Floor

Mickey Mouse Club Tier
That Girl
Suit & Tie
Let The Groove Get In

Strawberry Bubblegum.....FLAC quality

:wow:
I don't get my album until Friday, don't tease ;(

Servbot24

Banned
Strawberry Bubblegum.....FLAC quality

:wow:

tears of joy

wipers.gif

cacophony

listening more this has gotten worse since the first listen, mainly cause most of the songs have pointless jams at the end. you gotta save that for the live show. mirrors & spaceship coupe are my favorites. mirrors is long but it actually progressives rather than just the beat looping for 3 minutes.

Servbot24

Banned
I'm going to wager that people annoyed at the track lengths never listen to much techno or dub? All about building and sustaining the groove; JT tracks aren't even long enough.

Pavaloo

One of my favourite Sufjan Stevens tracks is like 26 minutes long lol. I like evolving songs, I think the majority of lengthy tracks in 20/20 evolve nicely.

I'm not a huge fan of the track or the Jay section but

Stoute got gout from having the best of the best/
Is this what it's all about? I'm at the res.../
...taurant, my rant disturbing the guests/

Dat flow. I just wait for that and skip the rest.

Artemisia

Banned
so I'm wondering if the albums that target promotes sell well because target promotes them so well or if they sell well because they are in high demand and people want them.

Justin is set to sell more than 800k and he got Target promo, and Taylor sold more than a million with two albums, both promoted by target.

Korey

so I'm wondering if the albums that target promotes sell well because target promotes them so well or if they sell well because they are in high demand and people want them.

Justin is set to sell more than 800k and he got Target promo, and Taylor sold more than a million with two albums, both promoted by target.

I don't really get who are these people buying physical albums at a store

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I like having physical copies of stuff I really like. If I was rich I'd probably buy vinyls too because they look cool as fuck and I'm a fan of great artwork in general.

Mr. F

Banned
That Girl has really grown on me after repeat listens. Never was a huge JT fan before (or at least enough of a fan to own one of his albums) but 20/20 is pretty solid aside from a few missteps.

Top Bottom