• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience |OT|

Crazyorloco

This is going to sound weird...

Love the album, but I wish there was a sad song on it. Something I could relate to emotionally. Something I could drink a beer to.

For me Justified and Futuresex/Lovesounds are better albums just because of that.

Milchjon

A few days and several listens later... it's crazy how much better FS/LS is.
I can't see myself listening to much more than Mirrors and Tunnel Vision a few weeks down the road. Maybe Don't Hold The Wall.

Trigger

This is going to sound weird...

Love the album, but I wish there was a sad song on it. Something I could relate to emotionally. Something I could drink a beer to.

For me Justified and Futuresex/Lovesounds are better albums just because of that.

I don't think that sounds weird. lol, I love a good melancholic song.

I can't wait for the Strawberry Bubblegum video.

You just *know* it will deliver.

edit: not gonna lie. got a bit misty-eyed watching that video.

edit2: and those boots in the second half? I must have a pair. This weekend.

I can't wait for the Strawberry Bubblegum video.

You just *know* it will deliver.

I, I cant deny the way you caught my eye
I mean something struck and refilled up the sky
And everything on you intoxicates
It's a mystery, I don't know why
I let you kick in my "Do not disturb" sign
But I guess your mouth emotion got me so high
And I could tell this pure just by the taste
And you kiss me

too good

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Wow this album is amazing.

I don't get the hate for "Let the Groove Get In". Even love that track.

There's really not much of a bad song on the entire album.

Booya

Neo Member
been only skimming through this thread..

Suit & Tie did not much for me. I was hoping it would bread some nice remixes i could at least spin at the club but hardly anything on that front. With that disapointment in mind i only started listening to mirrors and turned it off after it struck me as the obvious money making single on the album (which is prolly still is).

Now hate on pitchfork all you want, most of the time i will be behind you, but the ratings today made me at least listen to the whole album and just seeing the track lenght i was quite interested how it would turn out for a pop album to have such long songs.

I'm very positively suprised with what i've heared. Now the critique point with the production is not doing it for me personally. I love me some short sweet indie and pop tracks, don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the average 3,5 minute tracks. Still, there are two reasons here i dig the lenght: first, i really enjoyed frank ocean and i really dug his long ass single. JT now doing this will hopefully breed more interesting experiments in lenght in the pop world. Second I'm not one of those guys who hang on certain genres, I'm always looking to mix things up.
For example: If you spin only indierock records throughout the evening, most guests will be satisfied but it does not hurt to change up the pace and get a friend who spins deephouse to jump in from time to time throughout the night. This will result in very interesting bridges and reactions. Granted, not all positive, but most people enjoy it if thers a suprise.
This is how i feel about the album, I'm genuinly suprised for the most part. Let's not kid ourself, this is not AOTY here, but it's very decent and I would not have thought to like a timba production this much. Especially the extendedness of most songs adds to the enjoyment of the album to me. I'm a sucker for taking a song after it finishes and adding a 30% change and 30% runtime to it for the fadeout. This is what makes crowds in the club go wooh and this is what makes this album for me go woooh.

f0rk

been only skimming through this thread..

Suit & Tie did not much for me. I was hoping it would bread some nice remixes i could at least spin at the club but hardly anything on that front. With that disapointment in mind i only started listening to mirrors and turned it off after it struck me as the obvious money making single on the album (which is prolly still is).

Now hate on pitchfork all you want, most of the time i will be behind you, but the ratings today made me at least listen to the whole album and just seeing the track lenght i was quite interested how it would turn out for a pop album to have such long songs.

I'm very positively suprised with what i've heared. Now the critique point with the production is not doing it for me personally. I love me some short sweet indie and pop tracks, don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the average 3,5 minute tracks. Still, there are two reasons here i dig the lenght: first, i really enjoyed frank ocean and i really dug his long ass single. JT now doing this will hopefully breed more interesting experiments in lenght in the pop world. Second I'm not one of those guys who hang on certain genres, I'm always looking to mix things up.
For example: If you spin only indierock records throughout the evening, most guests will be satisfied but it does not hurt to change up the pace and get a friend who spins deephouse to jump in from time to time throughout the night. This will result in very interesting bridges and reactions. Granted, not all positive, but most people enjoy it if thers a suprise.
This is how i feel about the album, I'm genuinly suprised for the most part. Let's not kid ourself, this is not AOTY here, but it's very decent and I would not have thought to like a timba production this much. Especially the extendedness of most songs adds to the enjoyment of the album to me. I'm a sucker for taking a song after it finishes and adding a 30% change and 30% runtime to it for the fadeout. This is what makes crowds in the club go wooh and this is what makes this album for me go woooh.

Did you not listen to FutureSex/LoveSounds?

D23

just saw the mirrors video...

ooooooo
that was dope as hell especially the end when he dances in front of the mirrors

dat JT swaggg
dat coaaatt

i think i have a man crush

Kisaya

I literally held my breath throughout the whole Mirrors video waiting for Justin to show up.

<3333333333333333333333333 Loved it.

y2dvd

after listening S&T and Mirrors several times one after the other...

I like S&T more.... I am weird like that.

I'm with you brother. S&T > Mirror. Hell, I like Strawberry Bubblegum and That Girl more than Mirror. Yep!

S&T got me wanting to dress sharp. I rarely wear both but I got both decked out today. B-(

Artemisia

Banned
http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/rumormill.cgi

TOWERING TIMBERLAKE: With early retail reports coming in hot and heavy, we’re upping the previous 600k first-week estimate on Justin Timberlake’s The 20/20 Experience to north of 750k. Can it hit 800k? Now, wouldn’t that be something for a music biz desperately in need of a dial-moving smash? Credit a brilliant setup by RCA’s Peter Edge and Tom Corson, expert radio wrangling on the part of Joe Riccitelli and, last but not least, the massive appeal and considerable talent of J.T. his bad self. (3/20a)

i7vB3F4ybEFzw.gif

sphinx

the piano man
I wished other pop aritsts would watch and learn from JT.

.- don't do shit on a yearly basis, people will recognize and reward effort event if it takes time. Unless you are some damn talented artist, most likely every yearly album will be at least 50% boring filler. Just don't. instead wait 3 years and have albums with no filler, all-single material.
.- keep your style but don't repeat yourself, avoid redundancy.
.- invest the time and money, make it big, make it a guaranteed number one.
.- make it be about the music, not about your weird outfits, your scandals or your paparazzi crap no one cares about.
.- Be yourself. Don't hide behind some made-up stage persona that distracts from what should matter and isn't real to begin with.

I wished other pop aritsts would watch and learn from JT.

.- don't do shit on a yearly basis, people will recognize and reward effort event if it takes time. Unless you are some damn talented artist, most likely every yearly album will be at least 50% boring filler. Just don't. instead wait 3 years and have albums with no filler, all-single material.
.- keep your style but don't repeat yourself, avoid redundancy.
.- invest the time and money, make it big, make it a guaranteed number one.
.- make it be about the music, not about your weird outfits, your scandals or your paparazzi crap no one cares about.
.- Be yourself. Don't hide behind some made-up stage persona that distracts from what should matter and isn't real to begin with.

Fair points (though I disagree that JT has done all of them) except the guaranteed #1. There is no such thing no matter how amazing the music is. Great albums have, do, and will continue to flop no matter how well they are handled.

The nature of the business.

Loooove every song on this album. Standout tracks: Pusher Love Girl (such a great opening song), Mirrors, Blue Ocean Floor. Hoping he reaches an infinity bajillion in sales first week--well deserving of it.

Meier

The songs never fucking end. It's a chore to listen to... this is his Be Here Now I guess. For me, I didn't mind the length of those tracks because at least they had some guitars.. this just bores me. Nearly every song should be 2-3 minutes shorter. Or more.

reKon

Banned
The songs never fucking end. It's a chore to listen to... this is his Be Here Now I guess. For me, I didn't mind the length of those tracks because at least they had some guitars.. this just bores me. Nearly every song should be 2-3 minutes shorter. Or more.

appreciate the good production please

Top Bottom