• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience |OT|

Do the samples on Amazon MP3 do a bad job of selling the songs? I really enjoyed his last two albums but I'm not hearing much that I find exciting in the 30 second snippets.

Meier

appreciate the good production please

I definitely can appreciate that it's VERY slick but there really is no reason for these songs to be 7 and 8 minutes long. Nothing would be lost by chopping them in half or at least taking a significant amount from the end where it's just Justin hoo-hoo-hooing over a repetitive beat.

this is the ADD generation, songs must end in 2.5 minutes and fit into Kiss FM programming

Almost every song on the album would still be well beyond 2.5 minutes even when cut in half. They're just self-indulgent and it harms the quality of the album. It's boring.

Trigger

Do the samples on Amazon MP3 do a bad job of selling the songs? I really enjoyed his last two albums but I'm not hearing much that I find exciting in the 30 second snippets.

lol, given that some songs can last as long as 7 minutes I'm going to say no it doesn't do a good job. Use youtube or streaming sites to sample the album.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Mirrors video is meh. Strawberry Bubblegum video with Justin in it plz.

EDIT: Just got to the second half. Okay symbolism going on is pretty good, but I'm still meh on the video. Justin looks like DmC Vergil.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I like the long songs. I hate when albums have short ass tracks.

I would love a Frank Ocean album with tracks this long. Pyramids level ish.

Servbot24

Banned
Almost every song on the album would still be well beyond 2.5 minutes even when cut in half. They're just self-indulgent and it harms the quality of the album. It's boring.

Just split the interludes in audacity and pretend they're separate tracks then, gracious.

dvdjamm

#1 United States
#1 United Kingdom
#1 Australia
#1 Austria
#1 Azerbaijan
#1 Brunei Darussalam
#1 Canada
#1 Cyprus
#1 Czech Republic
#1 Denmark
#1 Estonia
#1 Germany
#1 Greece
#1 Hong Kong
#1 Hungary
#1 India
#1 Indonesia
#1 Ireland
#1 Israel
#1 Kenya
#1 Lebanon
#1 Lithuania
#1 Luxembourg
#1 Macau
#1 Malaysia
#1 Mozambique
#1 Netherlands
#1 Norway
#1 Philippines
#1 Poland
#1 Portugal
#1 Qatar
#1 Saudi Arabia
#1 Singapore
#1 Slovakia
#1 South Africa
#1 Switzerland
#1 Taiwan
#1 Thailand
#1 Turkey
#1 United Arab Emirates
#1 Vietnam

tumblr_mfgc3o5TRa1r81wtbo1_500.gif

Trey

Nothing on JT's album does the length justice like Pyramids, and I think 20/20 is a sublime album.

Chairhome

The songs never fucking end. It's a chore to listen to... this is his Be Here Now I guess. For me, I didn't mind the length of those tracks because at least they had some guitars.. this just bores me. Nearly every song should be 2-3 minutes shorter. Or more.

I might agree if the songs didn't almost become completely new songs by the second half. I love it.

Agreed. Especially for Strawberry Bubblegum as if the song were cut in half, the best part of the song (for me) would literally be lost if we were going by how some people want these songs shorter...

Pyramids was one of my favorite tracks of Channel Orange mostly due to the length.

Don't Hold the Wall and Let the Groove Get In are COMPLETELY lost on me. I can't even complete listening to them in their entirety.

Everything else, however, I am in love with.

Cudder

this album reminds me of a Pop version of Kanye's MBDTF with the crazy over the top production and long songs. Still love it though.

yo i said i was gonna leave this thread, because i don't like this boring album.

but i just gotta say...suit and tie is one of the best videos in recent memory. based fincher at work.

jay z probably watched it 30 times at home later since it's the closest he'll ever get to that rat pack thing he tries to have going on.

strobogo

Banned
I don't have a problem with long songs (UYI were full of 7+ plus songs), but not EVERY song needs to be that long. I mean, damn. Especially when there isn't a lot going on in the song. The production is pretty amazing, though.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Agree with the song length being hard to sit through sometimes. Has nothing to do with ADD... 6-8 minutes is a long ass time.

Different strokes for different folks though.

Nothing wrong with a long song, but most of the ones here are just needlessly so. It hurts the replayability of the album.

What Goes Around... Comes Around is a good example of a long song that never outstays its welcome.

IceCold

I don't have a problem with long songs (UYI were full of 7+ plus songs), but not EVERY song needs to be that long. I mean, damn. Especially when there isn't a lot going on in the song. The production is pretty amazing, though.

The beat is different in the intro/outro though. It's not like it's the same beat for the whole 8 minutes.

Koodo

Banned
Nothing wrong with a long song, but most of the ones here are just needlessly so. It hurts the replayability of the album.

What Goes Around... Comes Around is a good example of a long song that never outstays its welcome.
You didn't lie. That song keeps evolving and packs every second of its length with something substantial. It's a full song, whereas the tracks on 20/20 are actually normal-length songs with flaccid intros and outros, the latter being the most egregious as they tend to be dragged out with disposable ad libs.

Not a second of What Goes Around can be chopped. Whole minutes of many tracks on 20/20 can be outright deleted without detriment to the song.

Okay, so Cry me a River comes on the Radio, and I realize, I don't mind the guy. I'll have to try some samples and see if I like the new album too.

Fry

What song have you heard the most so far? (not counting S&T and Mirrors)

Mine is probably Don't Hold the Wall. Then Pusher Love Girl.

Top Bottom