• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-on! Community |OT| Never Ending Talk About Never Ending Girl's Talk

Metrotab

Banned
Azusa's main problem is/was that she was a straight man added to a group that, for the viewer, perceivably already had one in Mio. Her 'function' in the narrative only becomes more clear later on.

Metrotab

Banned
The real audience-surrogate is Jun!

In a way, yes, but I think the audience is already far too locked in with Yui as a main protagonist for people to take her perspective. She's more like the outsider, whose experiences provide an opportunity to compare just how wacky, and in a way, insular, the Keionbu's antics are.

Eh, I dunno, when I was watching K-On she always seemed like a "filler" character for me. If you have some insight as to why I should see her as more than just a filler character, please feel free to explain.

She's the 'normal' character, and also adds a layer of sarcasm that no one else in the series really provide. She makes the show self-aware, in a way.

Eh, I dunno, when I was watching K-On she always seemed like a "filler" character for me. If you have some insight as to why I should see her as more than just a filler character, please feel free to explain.

Azunyan's friends were there to warm the bench until the other members of the Keionbu graduated. Kakifly was probably planning ahead in case K-ON made it big for him.

Uraizen

Banned
She's the 'normal' character, and also adds a layer of sarcasm that no one else in the series really provide. She makes the show self-aware, in a way.

This is actually a pretty good description of her and her place in the show, but...

Azunyan's friends were there to warm the bench until the other members of the Keionbu graduated. Kakifly was probably planning ahead in case K-ON made it big for him.

I think this is the more likely scenario, which is what made me see her as a "filler" character.

This is actually a pretty good description of her and her place in the show, but...

I think this is the more likely scenario, which is what made me see her as a "filler" character.

In the manga you're basically right. She's basically there so that the club will go on afterwards.
The anime on the other hand made her stand out as the outside character looking in. She's pretty funny to boot.

Madao

boobgrabbing. something i have not done yet. *ahem*

in other news, i was this close to ordering a figurine but the shipping costs killed the chance since it basically doubled the price. i'll wait until i have a lot more disposable income (the Wii U on sight doesn't help)

boobgrabbing. something i have not done yet. *ahem*

in other news, i was this close to ordering a figurine but the shipping costs killed the chance since it basically doubled the price. i'll wait until i have a lot more disposable income (the Wii U on sight doesn't help)
May I ask what the figure was?

That's too bad.
Ypb8c.gif

Madao

They're soft. =3

Shipping doubled the price? Good god, how much was the figure?

it was just $13. it was the JuRitsu figure that's on special price this week at play-asia. the shipping was like $22 the cheapest option to my country. i was tempted by the offer and wanted to try buying something simple as a test.

shipping screws me over as usual. i have so many bizarre stories related to getting stuff that can't be sent easily to my country.

it was just $13. it was the JuRitsu figure that's on special price this week at play-asia. the shipping was like $22 the cheapest option to my country. i was tempted by the offer and wanted to try buying something simple as a test.

shipping screws me over as usual. i have so many bizarre stories related to getting stuff that can't be sent easily to my country.

Aw, that's too bad. It's a nice little figure.

Kazzy

K-ON!! - Episode 24

bARZ4.jpg

It's like the late Season one opening, all over again!

And there I was thinking Azusa was all stoic. After spending so long toiling over the big day, the big "G" has arrived, and it's fair to say she doesn't cope to well. Right from the beginning thud of the pillar (ouch! by the way!), it's clear her mind is elsewhere, not that she is the only one pining over her loss.

But lets get back to that, I thought we'd be seeing parents here, it's a graduation! But I guess that would be pulling the curtain back a little too much. And the ceremony itself is taken up by Yui idioting it up, as she hides Sawako's gift from her. I'd be more pre-occupied with the fact people were actually letting Yui graduate in the first place. Scary.

The graduation happens and Yui doesn't combust or anything, which is some sort of miracle. And now it comes, the glassy-eyes are out in force. Firstly Sawako gets hit, which leaves only one. To be fair to Azusa, she does her best, as she tries desperately to compose herself as she enters a full club room for the last time. It was really nice to see that her character development was acknowledged, because she is a vastly changed entity at this point. If I had to pin-point a specific moment here, it would when she cracks a wide-eyed smile at everyone, something the tsundere Azusa of old would have never dreamed about. Which makes it all the more sad when she can't quite pull through, with the diploma's acting as her trigger. And what's this? A new song? Everyone sings? Somebody pinch me, I must be dreaming. It's a nice song, and people continue to cry.
I remain strong by virtue of this not being the last numbered episode.

They pulled it out of the fryer with Azusa, they really did. I used to dislike her, easily the least favourite of the cast for me. I felt that inclusion was so egregious, because she offered nothing new to the dynamic, particularly as she initially shared so many similar traits with Mio. But to use that unremarkable personality and then to invert that by way of some well-judged character development, made for one of the most interesting aspects of the second-season, at least for me. The emotional-arc that she underwent never felt contrived or hackneyed, and it felt like you were watching someone struggling to cope with loss, without any real capacity to do so. It wasn't resolved quickly, and it was messy and complicated. It did what all the key moments in K-ON! have done, and that's to elicit genuine feelings from its characters.

Well played, KyoAni. So this is the end, but it's not really. Hm...

Kazzy

You're almost there! Are you starting to feel it? Good thing for you there's a movie to watch after this.

Well, doing these write-ups, I was listen to [URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkjH8bRBREE&playnext=1&list=PLTluIR9o5MQLYjkzVTr7Iq6JI3Iv_YtdZ&feature=results_video"]these[/URL] tracks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

K-ON!! - Episode 25

jns2c.jpg

Brought to you in Mugi-Vision™

I'm not aware of the release schedule for these episodes, but I'd be curious to know if these "extras" were devised as some sort of coping mechanism for the fans still in denial. Whatever, I'll take what I can get!

And we jump back in time, not that we couldn't tell that anyway, what with Yui's crappy (but somehow preferable) haircut, and Sawako reverting back to her former perverted self (but somehow worse). The plan is create a new recruitment video, because the old one was so crappy, or embarrassing, probably both. You've made that age-old narrative mistake, Mio, you need to destroy any incriminating evidence, don't keep it! All the film references in the first half are awesome, and these impressions could probably just consist of a few dozen of those alone.

iaULb.jpg

Wait, what? Do these scenes keep riffing on The Terminator theme? I don't care, I'm assuming it is. It's too perfect.

And this is why I like Jun, she cuts to the real-talk! You're still not going to let that go, huh? The new video gets made, more incriminating footage is filmed, and the light music club gets no love, not from a soul! Well, except tsundere megane student, which is a nice reference to the last episode. And the Mio fan club, which makes you wonder why they didn't get ringers in for the whole thing.

After all that they decide to bury away this video too. Wait, what?!

Jun...let it go!

Well, doing these write-ups, I was listen to [URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkjH8bRBREE&playnext=1&list=PLTluIR9o5MQLYjkzVTr7Iq6JI3Iv_YtdZ&feature=results_video"]these[/URL] tracks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

K-ON!! - Episode 25
Why would you do that to yourself?
6zq7i.gif

Apparently today is Aki Toyosaki's birthday. So, I present an audio clip of Satomi Sato giving her a present on her radio show.
Would have been even cuter if they were in character, but Aki just normally sounds like Yui anyways. lol

That will depend a lot on how well KyoAni's other shows do. If they feel the need to return to K-ON, it would likely be for financial reasons. Chuunibyou seems to be doing well for them though and I think KyoAni would prefer to work on properties they own outright rather than adapt someone else's property.

Chuunibyou is an adaptation too, even if half of the characters were made up for the show.

It's an adaptation of an LN someone submitted to their contest. So effectively they own it jointly with the original author.

In unrelated news, Dog Days' (Dash) somehow manages to even outdo the first season for sheer awesomeness and tail fluffiness.

Kazzy

That will depend a lot on how well KyoAni's other shows do. If they feel the need to return to K-ON, it would likely be for financial reasons. Chuunibyou seems to be doing well for them though and I think KyoAni would prefer to work on properties they own outright rather than adapt someone else's property.

I don't think it's so much that the material has to be their own, but rather, they are a studio who don't really allow themselves to stagnate. It may a skewed perspective, what with a lot of their adaptations being drawn from incomplete/ongoing franchises. But they continue to move forward, when many would probably be content drawing from the same well ad infinitum.

I would like more K-ON, but I have resigned myself to that being a distant pipe dream.

Kazzy

KyoAni, please, listen to the fans! There's still more material!

Also, I now understand the Yuri part of Yuru Yuri... what have I gotten myself into.

Seriously though, it's really not that pronounced, and it leans heavily on the comedy.

Mostly.

Uraizen

Banned
[IMGhttp://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9fmhtc1QQ1r2pvg2o1_500.gif[/IMG]

Seriously though, it's really not that pronounced, and it leans heavily on the comedy.

Mostly.

Oh, it's very heavy on it compared to what I usually watch. I find that I make this face at least once an episode:

PmD8J.jpg

It's still funny, though.

Kazzy

Oh, it's very heavy on it compared to what I usually watch. I find that I make this face at least once an episode:

It's still funny, though.

I was the same, and it's not something I watch shows for, so it must have been doing something right for me to watch both seasons. I mean, I shelved High School of the Dead after 2 episodes, because it was just too gracious with the fan-service.

Akari is the best.

tumblr_m8mbi3SSV01qj9smpo1_400.gif

Such an idiot!

Uraizen

Banned

Kazzy

This and Ayano.

You have certainly picked out the best characters. And if I remembering correctly, there is a couple of K-ON! references to be found in there.

Generally the show improves as it gets more self-referential. By the time you get to the first episode of season two, well, you'll be in for a nice surprise!

Anyway, back to K-ON!

Top Bottom