• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-on! Community |OT| Never Ending Talk About Never Ending Girl's Talk

Okies. tomorrow I'll make a writeup for 8.

Just for you.
image.php
And episode 9 while you're at it! :)
People are drawn to pretty pictures. Especially if they move!
Gotta agree with you again, Chet ;). You certainly do have good taste.
I have the best tastes that I know of.
BTW, can someone explain what the "hotel room" scene is in the movie that people were warning Christine Cabanos about?
This one.
Funny enough I remember reading something about the production staff of the movie trying to make the movie seem like something that would have happened in the manga. This scene is probably what they meant. lol

There are a lot of people who hate on k-on for no reason. Poor people can't see the light.
Worth noting that Kotoura-san is the best this season and Kotoura may be the most precious anime girl ever.

Oh, it looks pretty good!

1358481597751.jpg

Good (late) Morning K-ON Gaf. :D Feelings slightly betterz by the day. Amish and I played some awesome Castlevania, so you guys should join too. (hint hint)

I'll have that double dose review of 8 and 9 up today. won't be as long as the previous reviews, but expect the ricchan scale to be in effect! :p

Well, considering a bunch of people showed up last night after Kazzy posted that, I would say that this is correct.
Probably helps too that it was at the top of the page.
The K-ON! girls aren't real enough for him to creep on.
I'll have that double dose review of 8 and 9 up today. won't be as long as the previous reviews, but expect the ricchan scale to be in effect! :p
Length doesn't matter, as long as it's done!

Nafe

I'm busy admiring things of pure beauty. Nafe would truly appreciate this...

Nice. Haha, yeah, that's not just button mashing. The Vigoorian Flails are definitely a favorite of mine as well. I agree with the person who commented that it was nice that it wasn't just UT spamming. While high level play as far as Karma scores seems to be based around that, that was probably one part I wasn't a fan of. Things feels a bit dumbed down when playing like that so I preferred this type of style instead.

I also see as part of that video a link to the site iberiansngrealm. I used to visit there back before Ninja Gaiden II came out and remember some of the big names like Bigalski. There was a girl who posted videos there as well who was really good but I can't remember her name unfortunately. :(
It was nice that people just treated her like anybody else and talked strategies or asked for help and didn't respond with "A girl playing Ninja Gaiden!?" or "How can a girl be that good at this(type of) game!?" type of thing etc.

Around when Ninja Gaiden II came out the site made it so you had to be a member just to read the forums and that's when I slowly started visiting less because that kind of thing personally annoys me. I haven't been there for years now and it looks like the forums aren't even around anymore by the looks of things.

I also see that Razor's Edge is getting ported over to the Xbox 360 and PS3 so I guess that's one less reason to own a WiiU now. I'm not sure how I feel about them throwing in all these extra characters but having seen that trailer for Kasumi I have to admit she looks really awesome.

Depending how integrated the tablet is into Bayonetta 2's design or controls, I'm wondering if it too will just be more of a timed exclusive instead. They could also go the Ninja Gaiden II to Sigma route and change just enough of the game to say it's different to work around any exclusivity contracts they might have with Nintendo perhaps as well.

Uraizen

Banned
Nice. Haha, yeah, that's not just button mashing. The Vigoorian Flails are definitely a favorite of mine as well. I agree with the person who commented that it was nice that it wasn't just UT spamming. While high level play as far as Karma scores seems to be based around that, that was probably one part I wasn't a fan of. Things feels a bit dumbed down when playing like that so I preferred this type of style instead.

I also see as part of that video a link to the site iberiansngrealm. I used to visit there back before Ninja Gaiden II came out and remember some of the big names like Bigalski. There was a girl who posted videos there as well who was really good but I can't remember her name unfortunately. :(
It was nice that people just treated her like anybody else and talked strategies or asked for help and didn't respond with "A girl playing Ninja Gaiden!?" or "How can a girl be that good at this(type of) game!?" type of thing etc.

Around when Ninja Gaiden II came out the site made it so you had to be a member just to read the forums and that's when I slowly started visiting less because that kind of thing personally annoys me. I haven't been there for years now and it looks like the forums aren't even around anymore by the looks of things.

I also see that Razor's Edge is getting ported over to the Xbox 360 and PS3 so I guess that's one less reason to own a WiiU now. I'm not sure how I feel about them throwing in all these extra characters but having seen that trailer for Kasumi I have to admit she looks really awesome.

Depending how integrated the tablet is into Bayonetta 2's design or controls, I'm wondering if it too will just be more of a timed exclusive instead. They could also go the Ninja Gaiden II to Sigma route and change just enough of the game to say it's different to work around any exclusivity contracts they might have with Nintendo perhaps as well.

Ah yes, iberiansngrealm, I would go there to watch strategies on how to beat NG2 on harder difficulties. They were so much better than me! I don't think I'll ever reach that level of skill in NG in this lifetime. I can see why the site would be gone, though. It's about as dead as the franchise is at this point. =\

I think it's a universal understanding amongst certain communities that you get out of a game what you put into it. Girl or not, someone can become godlike at a game if they put forth the effort.

Razor's Edge is only $40 at amazon for 360/PS3, so I'll be picking it up. I don't expect it to be as good as NGB or NG2, but it may redeem itself a bit. We'll see whether or not they learned from their mistakes.

Not sure what will happen with Bayonetta 2, but we'll see.

Ah yes, iberiansngrealm, I would go there to watch strategies on how to beat NG2 on harder difficulties. They were so much better than me! I don't think I'll ever reach that level of skill in NG in this lifetime. I can see why the site would be gone, though. It's about as dead as the franchise is at this point. =\

I think it's a universal understanding amongst certain communities that you get out of a game what you put into it. Girl or not, someone can become godlike at a game if they put forth the effort.

Razor's Edge is only $40 at amazon for 360/PS3, so I'll be picking it up. I don't expect it to be as good as NGB or NG2, but it may redeem itself a bit. We'll see whether or not they learned from their mistakes.

Not sure what will happen with Bayonetta 2, but we'll see.

Kasumi on the Wii U is pretty sweet ;D (Ayane too, I guess. xD)

I can't beat a Ninja Gaiden game. ;_;

Beat the first one on NES a thousand years ago. yay!

image.php

Giggity. I approve, Chet. (and your IRC handle)

Madao

Bayonetta 2 will never be ported. it is being funded by Nintendo themselves. porting it is like porting a Metroid Prime to other consoles.

Zeroth

Oh my... NG3 is the easiest one, too. This is how I picture most people that play NG games without realizing it takes a modicum of effort to learn. Simple concepts such as i-frames and grabs seem to not exist to him.

Clearly NG3 is the best NG. There is no point in making an overly complex and obtuse skill ceiling like NG2, which relies so much on gameplay that fails to improve more important game elements such as story and characters.

Zeroth

Bayonetta 2 will never be ported. it is being funded by Nintendo themselves. porting it is like porting a Metroid Prime to other consoles.

Not quite. Metroid Prime is a game developed by a first party studio, whereas Platinum Games hasn't been bought by Nintendo
yet
, and their exclusivity is more contractual than anything.

It's entirely possible to see Bayonetta 2 on other consoles/PC, assuming their the game receives enough changes ("it's not the same content, it's not the same game") or the exclusivity contract expires (akin to Microsoft and Mass Effect 1), though I'm not counting on it.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Oh my... NG3 is the easiest one, too. This is how I picture most people that play NG games without realizing it takes a modicum of effort to learn. Simple concepts such as i-frames and grabs seem to not exist to him.

i-frames? Never heard of 'em. I tried grabs, they didn't work well for me as they just left me wide open. Doesn't matter now anyway, traded it in. I don't play games to frustrate myself.

Not quite. Metroid Prime is a game developed by a first party studio, whereas Platinum Games hasn't been bought by Nintendo
yet

It's entirely possible to see Bayonetta 2 on other consoles/PC, assuming their the game receives enough changes ("it's not the same content, it's not the same game") or the exclusivity contract expires (akin to Microsoft and Mass Effect 1), though I'm not counting on it.

There's a major difference between paying for exclusivity and funding the game's development.

Uraizen

Banned
i-frames? Never heard of 'em. I tried grabs, they didn't work well for me as they just left me wide open. Doesn't matter now anyway, traded it in. I don't play games to frustrate myself.

No, the enemies are the ones with grabs. I-frames are invulnerability frames, in other words, a certain period of time that you can't get hit or take damage.

RurouniZel

No, the enemies are the ones with grabs. I-frames are invulnerability frames, in other words, a certain period of time that you can't get hit or take damage.

Well, that explains why that didn't work for me. >>; Someone told me to throw enemies. They apparently lied to me. >>;

And while I consider myself to have good eye-sight half the time my eyes can't keep up with the action to notice things like specific frames where I'm invulnerable. Same reason I completely suck at fighting games.

Uraizen

Banned
Well, that explains why that didn't work for me. >>; Someone told me to throw enemies. They apparently lied to me. >>;

And while I consider myself to have good eye-sight half the time my eyes can't keep up with the action to notice things like specific frames where I'm invulnerable. Same reason I completely suck at fighting games.

Yes, yes they did.

It's not an eye-sight thing, you just know which moves have i-frames. For example, in DMC3 you're invulnerable during the start on your jump. I was able to dodge enemy attacks when I was screwing around just by jumping. You can also nullify exploding kunai in NG2 by dashing.

If you ever need help on these types of games, you can just ask me. Nafe is better than I am at these games, though. >.>'

Boo this person.

Kasumi on the Wii U is pretty sweet ;D (Ayane too, I guess. xD)

Beat the first one on NES a thousand years ago. yay!

image.php

Like the new Chet avitar too ;).

Never have finished a NG game, though I've never really tried either. Probably need more skillz.

Yes, yes they did.

It's not an eye-sight thing, you just know which moves have i-frames. For example, in DMC3 you're invulnerable during the start on your jump. I was able to dodge enemy attacks when I was screwing around just by jumping. You can also nullify exploding kunai in NG2 by dashing.

If you ever need help on these types of games, you can just ask me. Nafe is better than I am at these games, though. >.>'

Good stuff to know. Going to give DMC3 a go somewhat soonish.

Nafe

There were some that were definitely better than me but if I tried hard enough I think I could of matched them. There were the odd things that surprised me though. I remember Bigalski being somewhat surprised or excited about where if you jump near an enemy you can jump on their head and temporarily stun them, as far as helping with the individual encounter karma times I mean. Black had been out for awhile that I thought "you're only discovering this now? At your level?"

Watching one of the girls videos where she was playing the first level on master ninja it looked like she did an instant UT the one time. Paying more attention I noticed she hit that crow on the branch right at the beginning of the level and then just after in the encounter with the two ninja's in the hallway she hit Y and was close enough to the essence that the crow dropped that it got sucked up through the floor and being blue it was a double charge. Little tricks like that were kind of interesting.

At least they admitted as well that they maybe weren't as good as their videos would lead you to believe in that they maybe tried a hundred times and then finally the time they beat whatever or got something to work is the video they posted. I was like that in mission mode the one time facing
the double evil clone Ryu's.
I was getting beat pretty badly over and over and then the one time I was just in the zone and destroyed them with quite a bit of health left.

Some of the kind of "pro" type groups or known good players at least seem that way, unfortunately there are still quite a few other groups, of even good players, who still don't have that kind of attitude.

Ha. You guys need to stick with something easier like Demon or Dark Souls ;D

Although I prefer Dragon's Dogma <3

I'd really like to try all of these games. They look to be the kind I would like.

Ah, okay. All I really know about Bayonetta 2 is that it's in development and supposedly exclusive to the WiiU.

I didn't have sound on but wow...Pretty much agree with that one comment, you can block you know, this isn't Devil May Cry haha.

Do you remember playing an older platforming game for example and maybe getting hit by an enemy and your character would start blinking? Lot's of times in that scenario you have i-frames or frames of invincibility or invulnerability while you are blinking. People would maybe take advantage of that to get past said enemy or potentially an environmental hazard or something.

Another important thing in fighting games and action games like Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry is your cool down or recovery period after performing a move or combo. Ninja Gaiden pretty much operates in exploiting the enemy's recovery time and the AI exploiting yours. That's also where the idea of combo cancelling comes in. Instead of doing a finisher for your combo, you dodge or something instead which cancels your combo (hence the name) which then nullifies or significantly reduces the recovery time period and then you can follow up with another combo much quicker.

There can be game specific tricks as well. In Devil May Cry 3 enemies won't start an attack animation if they're off screen unlike in Ninja Gaiden. You have to be careful though because if the camera switches or spins so that you can see them,even for a split second, it could be enough such that they could start their animation and appear to attack you from off screen. Some players will thus take advantage of this and isolate an enemy and have the camera facing a corner or wall so the others in the room won't attack and take out all the enemies on more of a one by one type basis.

---

As far as hard games go, I don't mind them if they mostly seem fair or you can learn the mechanics and develop strategies. I quickly talked to Uraizen about this in a PM where I like Ninja Gaiden and shmups and such because they mostly seem fair in that you can see yourself getting better and learning the mechanics and things become easier. I mentioned it was pretty interesting how Ninja Gaiden will seem to throw all these impossible tasks at you, like facing two bosses at once, that eventually you overcome and by the time you get to the end that first seemingly really hard challenge you faced near the beginning seems so much easier now.

I don't like the idea of the artificial type difficulty where the AI will maybe controller read or skip frames of animation to do things quicker and just a lot of cheap tricks. I agree with you then that I won't bother with the games harder difficulty levels or just the game in general if that's what it's like even on it's normal difficulty level.

Yes, yes they did.

I remember when first facing the
evil clone Ryu's
on mission mode and seeing them roll into the one Ninpo where you shoot out a fire blast and timed right it would cancel it. I though "You can do that?!". I didn't get it the first try or two but got it to work after that. Then there's the back and forth you can get into with activating and canceling each others Ninpo. The AI ultimately wins of course because it can cast an infinite amount.

On Master Ninja and such though it is kind of annoying how your Ninpo pretty much becomes useless as an offensive weapon because all the enemies just seem to do this little ballerina twirl and that supposedly negates your attack. Not to mention a lot of your projectiles like the shuriken stars or arrows will just bounce off because of armor or their skin is too thick or something. It just limits your options and promotes more spamming of moves.

I couldn't find the K-On! gif I wanted so I went with Smile PreCure! instead.
For the eventual PreCure thread takeover haha ;p

I'd really like to try all of these games. They look to be the kind I would like.

Wow, super post! Very cool. Love your avatar btw. <3

Dragon's Dogma was my console game of 2012. Dark Arisen will be out in April with a thriving online Pawn community. Best fun I've had in a while. The souls games are great too but very tough learning curve, but rewarding play.

Uraizen

Banned
Good stuff to know. Going to give DMC3 a go somewhat soonish.

Excellent, as you should!

At least they admitted as well that they maybe weren't as good as their videos would lead you to believe in that they maybe tried a hundred times and then finally the time they beat whatever or got something to work is the video they posted. I was like that in mission mode the one time facing
the double evil clone Ryu's.
I was getting beat pretty badly over and over and then the one time I was just in the zone and destroyed them with quite a bit of health left.

I absolutely love little things like that. You know the devs probably placed that there on purpose, too.

I didn't have sound on but wow...Pretty much agree with that one comment, you can block you know, this isn't Devil May Cry haha.

Well, there was royal guard in DMC3, but I don't think that would matter to him given the level of skill demonstrated in that video.

I enjoyed them and we seem to have the same taste in action games or ones that share mechanics with them. They're not hard, but they can be enjoyable.

wall of awesome

I couldn't have said it better myself, I urge anybody who has even a modicum of interest in action games to read that.

I remember when first facing the
evil clone Ryu's
on mission mode and seeing them roll into the one Ninpo where you shoot out a fire blast and timed right it would cancel it. I though "You can do that?!". I didn't get it the first try or two but got it to work after that. Then there's the back and forth you can get into with activating and canceling each others Ninpo. The AI ultimately wins of course because it can cast an infinite amount.

On Master Ninja and such though it is kind of annoying how your Ninpo pretty much becomes useless as an offensive weapon because all the enemies just seem to do this little ballerina twirl and that supposedly negates your attack. Not to mention a lot of your projectiles like the shuriken stars or arrows will just bounce off because of armor or their skin is too thick or something. It just limits your options and promotes more spamming of moves.

Ah yes, I remember him. Getting into ninpo wars with him never ceases to be amusing. Like you said, it's not like ninpo matters on higher difficulties, so I fire them off on the off chance that the AI decides to get him by one. The fire wheel does have its uses on enemies that are like tanks, though. Smaller enemies will get knocked away, but it's pretty effective against bosses and the like. Projectiles seem to only be effective when the game requires you to use them to beat a boss or something along those lines.

I see you're not denying it!
I guess there's no point in denying the truth, though!

RurouniZel

Do you remember playing an older platforming game for example and maybe getting hit by an enemy and your character would start blinking? Lot's of times in that scenario you have i-frames or frames of invincibility or invulnerability while you are blinking. People would maybe take advantage of that to get past said enemy or potentially an environmental hazard or something.

Another important thing in fighting games and action games like Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry is your cool down or recovery period after performing a move or combo. Ninja Gaiden pretty much operates in exploiting the enemy's recovery time and the AI exploiting yours. That's also where the idea of combo cancelling comes in. Instead of doing a finisher for your combo, you dodge or something instead which cancels your combo (hence the name) which then nullifies or significantly reduces the recovery time period and then you can follow up with another combo much quicker.

There can be game specific tricks as well. In Devil May Cry 3 enemies won't start an attack animation if they're off screen unlike in Ninja Gaiden. You have to be careful though because if the camera switches or spins so that you can see them,even for a split second, it could be enough such that they could start their animation and appear to attack you from off screen. Some players will thus take advantage of this and isolate an enemy and have the camera facing a corner or wall so the others in the room won't attack and take out all the enemies on more of a one by one type basis.

---

As far as hard games go, I don't mind them if they mostly seem fair or you can learn the mechanics and develop strategies. I quickly talked to Uraizen about this in a PM where I like Ninja Gaiden and shmups and such because they mostly seem fair in that you can see yourself getting better and learning the mechanics and things become easier. I mentioned it was pretty interesting how Ninja Gaiden will seem to throw all these impossible tasks at you, like facing two bosses at once, that eventually you overcome and by the time you get to the end that first seemingly really hard challenge you faced near the beginning seems so much easier now.

I don't like the idea of the artificial type difficulty where the AI will maybe controller read or skip frames of animation to do things quicker and just a lot of cheap tricks. I agree with you then that I won't bother with the games harder difficulty levels or just the game in general if that's what it's like even on it's normal difficulty level.

I do remember those invulnerable bits in older games, but those were easy to spot because I was blinking or something. In modern games I guess I'm guess supposed to realize that certain frames of animation don't get attacked or things don't hit I guess... I dunno I'm just not great at action games to begin with, which is why if I play them I prefer 2D to 3D 'cause I can see what's going on. ;P

I've never gotten to a point where I ever feel like I gained a skill or that it gets easier as I go. Often times when I play a game like NG, if I get past a part it's because I got lucky and I can never seem to repeat it. After spending 26 of my 31 years playing games, I think it's safe for me to say it's just not something I'm naturally skilled at, and it would require more dedication than I'm willing to give. :/

Uraizen

Banned
I do remember those invulnerable bits in older games, but those were easy to spot because I was blinking or something. In modern games I guess I'm guess supposed to realize that certain frames of animation don't get attacked or things don't hit I guess... I dunno I'm just not great at action games to begin with, which is why if I play them I prefer 2D to 3D 'cause I can see what's going on. ;P

Trial and error.

Some games will tell you when you can use a move to dodge an attack, but it's not always 100% clear. There is some experimentation involved, but that can be said about a lot of genres. You can still get through normal on most of this games without realizing some of this stuff, but it's helpful nonetheless. These types of discoveries are usually made by players who put time into it and play the harder difficulties. You should see some of the stuff that came out from just the MGR demo, it's fantastic.

I've never gotten to a point where I ever feel like I gained a skill or that it gets easier as I go. Often times when I play a game like NG, if I get past a part it's because I got lucky and I can never seem to repeat it. After spending 26 of my 31 years playing games, I think it's safe for me to say it's just not something I'm naturally skilled at, and it would require more dedication than I'm willing to give. :/

Yeah... these games/genres aren't for everyone. Just being observant and utilizing your entire tool set can get you pretty far in these games, though. If you feel you just got lucky in a fight, then you're probably not learning anything from it which can make the game harder. Study enemy movement, learn your moveset inside and out from startup to recovery, understand your defensive options, know when to strike, etc. It's all a part of playing action games.

So much video game talk. It's almost like this is a video game forum...
er5q3.gif

Since I don't really know much about the games being discussed at the moment, I'll just say stuff I know. But don't let me stop you.

yet

This is SEGA we are talking about here. lol
image.php

Like the new Chet avitar too ;)
Thank you. Not sure if I like this one or not, but I can at least let this one ride out to the end of the month.
Ah, okay. All I really know about Bayonetta 2 is that it's in development and supposedly exclusive to the WiiU.
It's being produced by Nintendo.
MQXrB.gif

We now interrupt this game chat to bring you... other people's K-ON sketches!!

Forgive me if these are reposts, Fujishima Kosuke of Ah! My Goddess fame recently tweeted random sketches he did of K-ON characters.

There is a disturbing lack of Mugi-chan, but maybe he's just not gotten to her yet.

As for my doodle thing, I kinda missed the Valentine's Day window, but the characters I'm drawing love it up all year long! In a work-safe (as far as we know) fashion!! SO I CAN AFFORD TO ah screw it, I'll get it done tonight while studying for the Japanese quiz tomorrow morning.

Top Bottom