• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT4| Most Lurkers on GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
There are a few subjects of discussion that crop up in this thread on a semi-regular basis, but it's always been hard to get a good idea of a general concensus (if there is one at all). Therefore:

Based K-Pop GAF Survey 2013

It's pretty short. Your responses will be very much appreciated and hopefully quite enlightening.

Does anyone know if there's going to be more to this show than just the occasional short clip?
Done.

ryan-ts

2PM sucks.

2pmheartbeatcbstage14.gif

roaSone

I liked all T-ara songs, good stuff. Soshi's non stop mix isn't bad when you listen to everything in a row without breaks. Gonna listen to IU's japanese stuff now.

giri

I have been hooked on this Girls Day remix off their album. Love the trance synths..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aaf1vp0zEXA

Nice remix, but nothing great. You do seem to love your Happy Hardcore tho.

And finally, which Jung is best Jung?
Jung Soo Yeon.
Jung Soo Jung.
I refuse to take a stance on this admittedly critical issue.

Umm

How can i answer that question when you don't even have Nicole as an option?

or more seriously, who da fuck are those two?

Fail survey.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Note how everyone Dice likes is at the bottom. TELLING.
For quality I'd currently rank them...

Kara, Sistar, BEG as solos
A Pink, Wonder Girls
Secret, Miss A, 4minute, Nine Muses, Orange Caramel, BEG as group
After School, Rainbow, Dal Shabet, Brave Girls, GLAM
SNSD, f(x), T-ara, Crayon Pop, Girl's Day, Hello Venus, D-Unit
Fiestar, Two X, Rania, Spica, Chocolat, etc.

Kara (*sniff*) and Rainbow are facing downgrades if they continue on their newer musical trajectories. Wonder Girls demonstrate musical maturity but are facing a downgrade for more complex reasons. A Pink is primed for an upgrade with their next release if it continues their path thus far. Secret, Miss A, and 4minute have had slow and steady improvement, so it is hard to figure if they will upgrade or not. For them it is all about attaining that extra refinement and connection in performances. Orange Caramel have held steady for a long time so I think they won't move much.

Brave Girls, Nine Muses, and GLAM could go to 2nd tier if they just release more good shit and keep being awesome as they have. Dal Shabet are great performers so they could jump one by releasing better stuff though their concept is restrictive. Crayon Pop is loveable but mostly just holds much potential right now. Girl's Day is lacking power on stage and I don't know where they would stand if they found it. Hello Venus mostly can't sing except for Ara who sounds more stage play style than pop, but they have charisma. D-Unit is awesome right now and I'm not sure how high they'll go if they continue to have releases and performances like this current mini.

f(x) is difficult to upgrade because their style is intentionally experimental, thus often not moving in the common ways, not as hype and mostly good for very specific moods. Their earlier things resonate with me better but Pinocchio and Electric Shock were perfectly viable. I feel like they lack the impact their labelmates have on stage. Like 4minute toward the end of a promotion run, their stuff is just hits much harder on the album. Plus I don't like Luna and they are holding Sulli hostage in frumpsville.

Bottom tier and groups placement in it has nothing to do with skill or if I have liked their songs or not. These groups simply have not found the x-factor that makes me think they could be something amazing or prominent in kpop history. Whatever it takes to connect and hold a place in the mind for me to remember them when they aren't promoting without a list telling me, they haven't got it.

I don't think Brave Girls have a chance of advancing simply because Brave Brothers will give Sistar his best songs.

Rania might advance because they seem to getting songs from outside of Korea so they aren't so reliant of the small pool of korean songwriter/producers.

Spica and Glam have the talent, but they really to get those hit songs to raise awareness.

For quality I'd currently rank them...

Kara, Sistar, BEG as solos
A Pink, Wonder Girls
Secret, Miss A, 4minute, Nine Muses, Orange Caramel, BEG as group
After School, Rainbow, Dal Shabet, Brave Girls, GLAM
SNSD, f(x), T-ara, Crayon Pop, Girl's Day, Hello Venus, D-Unit
Fiestar, Two X, Rania, Spica, Chocolat, etc.

Didnt even include 2ne1, my guess is you aren't a fan.

giri

...and its nice to have english lyrics that are good.

It is. And because they have a catalogue of them, they have an outside shot of doing decent in the USA in the second half of the year.

It's still really disappointing that they're bothering with the USA tho.

Dice

Didnt even include 2ne1, my guess is you aren't a fan.
Oh shit I totally forgot, haha

Uh, yeah I don't really listen to them. Even when they do good stuff, they always manage to fuck it up somehow (except this). Like for instance "I Love You" was alright until the completely obnoxious shit rhymes of the end refrain. Then of course CL's voice is a constant burden, and they also have the most inflated egos this side of Teen Top which really hurts everything they do ever. Blackjacks also like to make approaching anything the least bit related to them an utterly miserable experience, much like Sones.

So not Masquerade, then.

I was thinking of the english version of Just Go.

It is. And because they have a catalogue of them, they have an outside shot of doing decent in the USA in the second half of the year.

It's still really disappointing that they're bothering with the USA tho.

I don't see where else they could do additional promotions. They're a bit too 'sexy' for japan/china. Europe maybe?

giri

I was thinking of the english version of Just Go.

I don't see where else they could do additional promotions. They're a bit too 'sexy' for japan/china. Europe maybe?

They could easily promote in japan.

Afterschool have been promoting there for years, and they're not exactly... subdued.

But it's more... it's just going to be a waste of 6 months and could do harm to their rep a fair bit. Not a lot of groups promote in the USA for extended periods and come back unscathed.

Cuddler's obsession makes more sense to me than that one ^^^

Whilst i agree that the whole group is terrible, the less you comment the less stupid replies with sickly looking people in them you'll see.

dokish

Banned
I'm not the only one who enjoy Crayon Pop in here. Ignore at will, Way will find her way in the thread!

I don't like a ton of people and bands you guys post, and I never bitch about it (except that ogre from SNSD)

Selane

Hello Venus mostly can't sing except for Ara who sounds more stage play style than pop, but they have charisma.

I'm not sure why you say that, they're above average in vocals as a whole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xmmvK1-jWU

Yooyoung and Nara aren't singing live but the rest are. Ara is awesome, Lime always sounds good and can hit high notes surprisingly well for someone with a deep ass voice. Admittedly Alice's voice can be a little raw sounding on high notes but at least she hits them accurately. And I guess Yoonjo doesn't matter since she gets about two words per song. Anyway, I'd say 'half of them can sing' puts them above a lot of groups on that list.

Also, why don't you like Luna?

Dice

I'm not sure why you say that, they're above average in vocals as a whole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xmmvK1-jWU

Yooyoung and Nara aren't singing live but the rest are. Ara is awesome, Lime always sounds good and can hit high notes surprisingly well for someone with a deep ass voice. Admittedly Alice's voice can be a little raw sounding on high notes but at least she hits them accurately. And I guess Yoonjo doesn't matter since she gets about two words per song. Anyway, I'd say 'half of them can sing' puts them above a lot of groups on that list.
Lime and Alice both don't hit notes right. It's slight, not always painful, but there is a clear strain that is slightly off key. You can tell they don't know what they're doing from the striking lack of falsetto through most of their range. Yoonjo and Yooyoung are typical sing-ish idols who sound like most any teen girl who isn't tone deaf. Yooyoung kinda makes up for it with her cool sounding rap style. Nara is probably the worst "singer" in kpop, can't even talk in notes like Hara and Sohee. You simply do not hear her.

Don't get me wrong, I love them and fanboy the fuck out, but I gotta keep it real and their vocals are only good insofar as their songs demand little from them. They do (except Nara) know how to vocalize strongly enough to keep the energy up, but I'd say even Two X is above them in overall singing skill. Above average in vocals for their style of group (not the diva/r&b style, which are more proficient) would be Rainbow. Jisook, Jaekyung, Seungah, and Hyunyoung are all solid, No Eul and Yoonhye are average, and Woori is a top "idol style" rapper.

That isn't to say singing skill is everything. Obviously Kara and A Pink aren't made of all aces in the vocal department. However, when the total presentation just kind of overall lacks impact, as with Hello Venus, they become more important. That may sound a bit mean, but seriously, look at stages by Kara, Sistar, A Pink, GLAM, and even this latest song by D-Unit. Their performances are so much more impactful. I think if Hello Venus really mastered their own style, their impact and charm would be similar to Orange Caramel.

Also, why don't you like Luna?
Luna is just annoying AF for some reason, plus she likes to pull shit like this and cries when people don't think she's awesome.

giri

btw dokish, when you go to post large photos make sure you wrap them in QUOTE tags, so they get resized properly and don't dominate an entire page.

As for your other comment, i may not like cpoop and all related to them, but feel free to keep posting work safe images, no ones gonna be able to deny you that.

even if some of us would rather you didn't (due to differing tastes).

Tangeroo

122CEE40514A52B8090FFB

ijlpGj0de5U5T.jpg

ibk91fSf8nVKAp.jpg

Any Sayuri fans out there? She's not part of the kpop scene, but she's probably the biggest Koreaboo on tv there. She's best known for her regular role on Global Talk Show (Chitchat with Beautiful Women) and her current role as a variety show foodie.

Ym1r

ya Sayuri was really cute on Global Talk Show, good to see shes still around.

also dat crotch on the cover shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom