• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT4| Most Lurkers on GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niks

tumblr_mk1d1yC52Q1qm04jko1_1280.jpg

Taengstagram is the best thing that happened to kpop.

Agreed.
A Sooyoung or Yoona instagram would be great too.

Fafnir

Taengoo Instagram has taken over my thoughts, I even had another dream about her last night.

The question that has been bugging me is why did SM allow it? I really started to unhealthily think about it while grinding through traffic/work today. Here are my crazy assumptions and speculations:

1. Taeyeon is a company girl. In every working environment, management has that person that they go to as their "go to guy"/yes man. Besides being the oldest, it's probably been ingrained into her by management when she was made leader that she was responsible for the others. I'm sure most of the instructions that Soshi receives is filtered from the top through the managers. Taengoo is probably the only one that get's a 1on1 with top management or is part of meetings discussing Soshi future, and as a Korean girl she nods her head and says yes. She's pretty much the total package in terms of talent and beauty = SM's best long term investment. SM knows she is responsible and will not hurt Soshi doing something dumb and let her be the first to test the waters.

Here's the reasons why the others are not company girls (decision was made pre-debut):

Jessica/Tiffany - They are American. They are good to use for their English skills and if a opportunity arises in the States then they will use them, but at the end of the day SM is a Korean company.
TveNO.gif

Sunny - She's part of the head honcho line so her future is secure in SM, but also a problem because if she get's too much of a push there will always be a question of blood ties giving her the opportunity instead of her hard work. Plus her hair has been a mess for the past 2 years.
ESpiV.gif

Hyoyeon/Yuri - Lacks singing talent and speaking ability. Too 4D and clownish, but good for overall group morale. Enforcers in the clown group.
0iaWh.gif

Sooyoung - Revealed too much of an interest in getting married and having kids. Not a good long term investment. Also lacks singing talent and leader of the clown group.

Yoona - SM wants her to be the charismatic actress, but she's too much alligator Yoong. Also lacks singing talent which affects her confidence. Member of the clown group.
JRane.gif

Seohyun - Forever the maknae. Seobaby is too stubborn/strong willed and would argue against anything she is not comfortable doing and win the argument. Lacks variety talent but excels at everything else. SM is carefully grooming her to take over just in case Taengoo goes crazy.
94lrN.gif

2. Taeyeon is lonely/depressed. She takes being an idol a little too serious and as an introvert she probably harshly reflects on any little mistake she thinks she makes so that her wall is high. Even though she is an intro, she wants to share something about herself with someone that loves her. Who loves her unconditionally besides family? SONEs.

So far Soshi has been discouraged to use any social media other than their official site, UFO, and Starcall where the harshness of antis can be filtered. Sharing anything trivial takes too much effort and is not as instant as it is with Twitter or Instagram.

She wants to share a small piece of her every day life with SONEs, but is chained by SM and is unhappy about it. The managers report this up the chain of command and SM has to keep their top investment happy so they throw her a bone and let her have a Instagram account. What other top female SM artist uses a social networking app?
H2Jwxei.jpg

3. Taeyeon is currently not in a relationship. After the recent IU/Eunhyuk and Victoria/Changmin scandals, SM would have to be wary about this type of photo scandal. So why would they allow their top talent to use a photo sharing app? Because she's not currently in a relationship with anyone that could cause a photo faux pas. At least not a hetero one.
bOkkk.gif

4. SM don't give a damn. All of my points above is under the assumption that SM is a tyrant idol factory micro managed like CCM, which I really don't think it is at all. We know SM does not forbid the use of social media and Soshi probably all willingly decided not to use Twitter like they said. Most likely Taeyeon just told SM that she was going to make a Instagram account and SM was like, "ok just don't post any after sex photos with Fany".

The tl;dr reaction gif for most of you:
BHHSH6q.gif

dokish

Banned
I think the answer is rather simple: If you gonna expand how far SNSD can reach, why allow "inferior" members to have an account, instead of the leader?

Just imagine Hyoyeon with an account. Or Sooyoung. Everybody would ask "What about Tiffany?" ; "Why Jessica doesn't have one too?". Giving Taeyeon the opportunity, everybody is happy, nobody complains, and all fans's mouth are shut. If its Taeyeon its ok.

Niks

The question that has been bugging me is why did SM allow it?

Yeah, it is kinda weird. Timing is also weird. (they are not promoting). As I see it they are preparing for their english album promotions maybe? (instagram is aimed at international fans).
But if that is true why not a "group" account? She was pretty clear this was a Taeyeon only instagram. (not that fans are complaining).

Im not on instagram, how are the comments? Any haters or foul comments yet?

Darkkn

Expanding social media reach into mainstream Western social networks makes a lot of sense especially if they are trying to still conquer US. Instagram is perfect for this, because it's easy to keep up some activity and while responding to comments is possible, is seen mostly optional, unlike Twitter, which is much more conversational(if done right).

It's pretty crazy and unfair tho if other members are not allowed to have social media presence. I could imagine especially Fany and Jessica being salty about this(being Westeners), because having a own brand and fanbase is important if the group activities start to dwindle down in the future and girls start to look for more individual careers.

Also Taengstagram is the bestest.

Edgeward

22 idol groups (70 idol stars in total) participated in a survey entitled ‘Best Idols’ by ‘Sports Donga‘ to cast their votes in five categories: Best Vocalist, Best Rapper, Best Dancer, Best Ulzzang (Best Visual), and Best Star Factor/Talent.

Best Vocalist

Male:

1. Junsu (JYJ) (25 votes)
2. Jonghyun (SHINee), Yoseob (7 votes each)
3. Hongki, Jun.K (3 votes each)

Female:

1. Hyorin (34 votes)
2. Taeyeon (16 votes)
3. Ailee (13 votes)
4. Baek Ye Rin (2 votes)
5. IU + 3 others [names not mentioned] (1 vote each)

Best Rapper

Male:

1. G-Dragon (33 votes)
2. Zico (18 votes)
3. T.O.P (8 votes)
4. Gary + 10 others (1 vote each)

Female:

1. CL (34 votes)
2. Miryo , LE (11 votes each)
3. Baby-J (3 votes)
4. Yubin + 6 others (1 vote each)

Best Dancer

Male:

1. Taeyang (37 votes)
2. Taemin, Eunhyuk, Jay Park (6 votes each)
3. Wooyoung (3votes)

Female:

1. Minzy (21 votes)
2. Hyoyeon (19 votes)
3. HyunA (8 votes)
4. Min (7 votes)
5. BoA (4 votes)

Best Ulzzang (Best Visual)

Male:

1. T.O.P (19 votes)
2. Nichkhun (8 votes)
3. Siwon, L (6 votes each)
4. Jaejoong, Minho (SHINee) (3votes each)

Female:

1. YoonA (16 votes)
2. Suzy (10 votes)
3. Krystal (7 votes)
4. Taeyeon (5 votes)
5. Sulli (4 votes)

Best Star Factor/Talent

Male:

1. Jo Kwon (24 votes)
2. G-Dragon, Kwanghee (16 votes each)
3. Taeyang, Shindong (3 votes each)

Female:

1. HyunA (13 votes)
2. CL (11 votes)
3. Minah, Min (8 votes each)
4. Yewon (6 votes)

http://www.allkpop.com/2013/03/idols-cast-their-votes-in-five-categories-to-determine-the-best-idols

Ashhong

pretty ugly

#gotem

I think the answer is rather simple: If you gonna expand how far SNSD can reach, why allow "inferior" members to have an account, instead of the leader?

Just imagine Hyoyeon with an account. Or Sooyoung. Everybody would ask "What about Tiffany?" ; "Why Jessica doesn't have one too?". Giving Taeyeon the opportunity, everybody is happy, nobody complains, and all fans's mouth are shut. If its Taeyeon its ok.

This is actually a good point. Having Taeyeon be the first/only one is a great move. Nobody would complain about that.

Good lord this thing is HEINOUS

For quality I'd currently rank them...

Kara, Sistar, BEG as solos
A Pink, Wonder Girls
Secret, Miss A, 4minute, Nine Muses, Orange Caramel, BEG as group
After School, Rainbow, Dal Shabet, Brave Girls, GLAM
SNSD, f(x), T-ara, Crayon Pop, Girl's Day, Hello Venus, D-Unit
Fiestar, Two X, Rania, Spica, Chocolat, etc.

Bye.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Making one of my rare visits. I only ever look at K-POP because I think Sunny is the hottest woman on the planet. I pulled this from a really old Hoot performance today.

i5zbHFG0xlFBw.gif

Y'all are crazy with that wild speculation. I like to see them more as people with lives than "idols." I dunno though.

luso

Fafnir, that's a big analysis.

Reasons Taeng instagram are probably a mix up of your hypothesis.

Normally the simpler explanation is the true one.
Taeyeon wanted, SM sceptical since their debut, but SM is now more open, there are SM's official accounts, other SM groups have them, we are in 2013, and there's the opportunity window for TY finally have what she wants for some time. And she discusses this matter, presenting arguments, and convinces SM (but for now, only for her). So much of the credits to Taeyeon.
This is what I want to believe, at least.

Or a more business oriented decision, SM wanted to happen and backed up by the members.
But I don't believe this second hypothesis, would be too cynical...

As a first spear into the english album, interaction to international and possible new fans platform is needed.
Official Facebook and Twitter exists but managed by SM/PR staff.
What about something personal for the whole group account? Something for all, or nine different accounts?
And is easier to control or manage any damage with only one account, at least for now. So, for the time being, one account is enough.

Twitter? So much shit happens with hacking and "hacked" accounts, a too much noise/hating medium for this purpose. Overused.
Facebook would be the same and also the dangers of sharing unwanted things, who follows who, etc.
Instagram? Is a new thing for an idol to have. Refreshing. An(y) instant picture is much valuable. So it's decided to be this.

For sure the girls were already eager, for a long time, to have something personal, as Taeyeon wrote.
Many of their idol friends (and non-idol) already had these kind of space to communicate.
I believe they had for sure word on this propose and decision was far from a one-way command from management.

Who should be the member? Here I think the choice would be limited to Taeyeon and Sooyoung.
Sooyoung has already some historic regarding fan interaction, a video made, and is (most of the times) responsible.
But Taeyeon is way more popular, is the forever leader and it was almost naturally that she's the chosen one.

JYP Entertainment liquidates U.S. based company ‘JYP Creative’

http://www.allkpop.com/2013/03/jyp-entertainment-liquidates-u-s-based-company-jyp-creative

JYP Entertainment said:
Currently, 2PM, miss A, and other agency artists are promoting more within Asia like the countries of Japan and China, rather than the U.S. There is no immediate plans for promotions in the U.S., so there is nothing that has changed because the American firm has been dissolved.

No mention of Wonder Girls show their priority for the company. I wonder if they'll launch a new girl group?

Chuckie

I'm sure I could find plenty of your ugly moments if your entire life was filmed.

:mad:

They made her look dumb as shit in that video anyway.

Oh plenty plentyyyy moments if you filmed me :p

Sunny just isn't what she used to be. She used to be really cute and hot....but these days not so much. I can understand why you like her.

What she has never been and never will be though, is the hottest woman on the planet ;)

GrizzNKev

Banned
Oh plenty plentyyyy moments if you filmed me :p

Sunny just isn't what she used to be. She used to be really cute and hot....but these days not so much. I can understand why you like her.

What she has never been and never will be though, is the hottest woman on the planet ;)

Whatever. I don't follow or keep up with this stuff. She will always be this to me:

images

tumblr_m9rygfCnqi1ryjokgo2_400.gif

tumblr_m2ijvuQHVO1rsg6jjo1_r1_500.gif

soonkyu%252520%2525285%252529.gif

No human is static. She hasn't been outdone by anything I've seen yet.

No No Eul

182A0B3E514866542DC27F

1538A43E5148665512173A

The SPAO(스파오) S/S 2013 Campaign -
SuperJunior &
Fx

There are a few subjects of discussion that crop up in this thread on a semi-regular basis, but it's always been hard to get a good idea of a general concensus (if there is one at all). Therefore:

Based K-Pop GAF Survey 2013

It's pretty short. Your responses will be very much appreciated and hopefully quite enlightening.

Thank you all for your responses. I'll probably keep the poll going for a few more days.

Umm

How can i answer that question when you don't even have Nicole as an option?

or more seriously, who da fuck are those two?

Fail survey.

I thought you might say that. If I ever do another survey, I'll make sure to include an equal opportunities Jung question. :p

Nine Muses stepping up the fanservice.

Kyungri & Minha self-cam: http://youtu.be/8yYi1FlXLe4
Hyuna self-cam: http://youtu.be/v0DlGfDjPDc

I wonder what Hyuna's talking about. It looks like she's about to cry.

For anyone else who, like me, was wondering where these images have come from: Girls’ Generation to Appear on ‘Jounetsu Tairiku’ in Japan.

Looking at the amount of English that Taeyeon's been using on Instagram makes me wonder just how many lessons they've all been having. Well... the seven that need English lessons anyway.

Suzy in full on WTF mode, plus a photo of some enthusiastic Vietnamese fans taken by Jia:

ramyeon

Looking at the amount of English that Taeyeon's been using on Instagram makes me wonder just how many lessons they've all been having. Well... the seven that need English lessons anyway.
The level of English she's using is really not uncommon for any Korean her age, especially written.

jokkir

Yeah, the more personal feel is what makes the picture. We get to see what she does out of the spot light and whatnot. I lik Lim and Min's Instagram too. It makes them seem like normal people than just celebrities.

JKTrix

She's pretty much the total package in terms of talent and beauty = SM's best long term investment.
This was a good post, but I wouldn't go quite that far here, especially since you posted this shortly after.
BoA's only 2 years older than Taeyeon and as far as 'SM's best long-term investment', it's 100% BoA. Within Soshi though, which may have been your true point, definitely tops. This doesn't have much to do with your reasoning, so do carry on.

The allowance of Taengstagram intrigues me. Totally thought it was fake at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom