• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days |OT|

Daigoro

i beat the game on the default difficulty over the weeked. also played some arcade and multiplayer online.

i liked it. it kept me playing and ill go back for some more. unfortunately had to turn steadcam on. the effect was cool, but headache inducing. needed to be toned down a bit.

too bad people only play Fragile Alliance online. the other modes sound iteresting as well. id like to try them out.

that IGN postmortem was pretty good. just read through.

the game was certainly worth $20. there was a lot to like about it i think.

UrbanRats

I am seriously astonished by how much detail they put into the levels, they are so FULL of stuff and detailed and beautiful.. there's never a point where you look outside a window and go "ugh, ok, i wasn't supposed to look here".
And, at the same time, they literally throw all this work from the window, since you pretty much run and gun for ALL the game without a stop, never a change in pace, neve a clever gameplay idea.

Seriously, the art direction and Shanghai are something so fucking beautiful in this game, and they just spit on it with such a weak gamedesign.
The characters are wasted, too, some of the dialogues are funny and K&L are two dudes you love to hate, too bad the terrible pacing doesn't let you dwell into the story.
Meh, this waste is really annoying to me, cause even if they nail the next one, it'll probably be another setting, probably a more boring one (US? Or even worst, a warzone?).

In K&L1 you go through a lot of places, but they are rendered really bad, they felt really generic, while in Dog Days, they perfectly depicted the modern Shanghai feel.

Bebpo

Banned
Just played through this over 3 sessions on PC.

Game looked amazing amazing amazing. At times it was the closest to real I've seen a game get. The post-processing visual style was a great decision to go with. Turned what could have been a generic unimpressive looking game into a game that looks nothing like anything else on the market.

The gameplay was alright. I liked a lot of the setpieces and found the whole thing to be really intense. I think I would've liked it more in coop because the AI is useless, but eh, I survived.

I actually think the AI enemies are too smart which is a complaint I have. They're always hiding and the second you aim at them they hide back. Doesn't give you much time like most cover shooters. Feels more realistic but can be annoying.

I'm kind of sad this game got destroyed by the reviews because imo it's a great cover shooter just like 50 Cent BoTS is a great cover shooter. They both have great pacing, cool sequences, and solid gameplay. I understand that K&L2 is not worth $60 or even $40 because it's a short game, but if you ignore the cost of the game and just judge games by their quality of the content, I think it was a total success and gave a fresh take on the cover shooter genre with it's setting and visual style.

That being said, SE needs to figure out a way to sell the K&L series. It's a great franchise imo, but the games are short. I'm glad they are, because I feel at 3-4 hour campaigns they emulate 2-3 hour criminal action movies. They're fast paced and the story moves quickly from start to finish. But at the same time you can't sell a 3-4 hour game for $40. I'd like to see SE & IO Interactive take the franchise in a new direction and do Kane & Lynch "episodes" on XBLA/PSN where each episode would be a 2 hour with some replayability stuff story arc and they'd sell it for $10 and then every 6 months have a new K&L ep. These games are great popcorn experiences, but I think anything beyond $10-20 for them is asking too much.

And the
chopper part
was wowww. Shooting up fully rendered and detailed rooms as you go by was just incredible looking. One of the best sequences of its kind imo.

Daigoro

i saw you playing. im glad you enjoyed it enough. hope it didnt cost you too much.

id love to pick it up for 5 or less on PC one day to check it out. might go an play the 360 version a bit more right now.

anyone want to play co-op?

I echo'd Bebpo's statements when I played on PC from the November sale. Co-op was quite fun on hard, only died a few times for lame reasons.

mildewproduction

My friend and I just picked this up for $14 a pop. Pretty fun co-op. We always play on the hardest difficulty so we get more time out of the game.

This is frustrating at times, but we still have a lot of fun. What's the point in running through a game in 4 hours on Easy?

BPK

Getting this tomorrow for $15 (it's value really dropped quickly!). Looking forward to it since I really enjoyed the demo. At that price the length doesn't bother me.

Pandemic

According to the STEAM forums, it's not even worth the $5, it's that bad.

Can anyone give me feedback on the game, even though it's reached #3 on the top sellers list for STEAM.

John

it's a samey shooter that looks awesomely shitty and with desperate, hideous, scarcely competent protagonists that yell a lot. i love it.

Massa

Pandemic said:

Can anyone give me feedback on the game, even though it's reached #3 on the top sellers list for STEAM.

The game is very repetitive. It's room after room of doing the exact same thing with no breaks in between.

The game also feels a bit like whack-a-mole. Enemies hide behind cover, as do you... and you just wait until one of them pops out to shoot them. You don't have a lot of freedom to flank the enemies, and they're not too smart either. They don't die very easily so it can get even more monotonous. I played the game on normal, in hindsight I'd recommend playing it on Easy. It's not like the game would be less challenging, you'd just spend less time sitting behind cover.

On the positive side I like how the guns feel, and the environments you go through are simply amazing. They did a really good job of recreating Shanghai, which is a very interesting location to begin with.

The characters and story are more interesting than the average game, but in the end it feels like a waste of potential. It's okay, I guess.

For $5 I can recommend this.

Pandemic said:

Nothing pretentious about the game or characters. Just a short and snappy ultra-violent romp with great presentation and some interesting multiplayer components. Best served with campaign co-op.

I bought both Dead Men and Dog Days this morning, plowed through Dead Men in an evening and am working my way through Dog Days. I'd say both are worth the 5$, the leap in the aesthetic and presentation from Dead Men to Dog Days is pretty staggering.

Forsete

I never got the demo to work on my PC. :/ CTD after the intro videos, or maybe it was even before that.

I wonder if they ever patched this since lots of people were having issues?

Anyway, completed the game on PS3 and I riked it. Very fun in co-op.

LQX

Finally got around to finishing my steam copy. I'm kind of surprised it got so much hate. I loved the visual style and think it ranks up there in looks. Gun battles were great and the helicopter part was amazing. I especially like that fact enemies did not infinitely respawn.

That said the ending or its abruptness was let down. They could have added a bit more finality to it but it makes me look forward to part 3. Online is pretty much dead but had a lot of fun with single player though I would have loved to play co-op. Definitely worth the $5 and doesn't deserve much of the hate I see it getting.

O.DOGG

Well, I bought the game full price, and it was a bit of a letdown. I still enjoyed it but not as much as I would have had I paid five bucks for it :) I think it's a solid game for what it was. I hope we get more Kane and Lynch at some point.

They should have sold it for 30 bucks. The 60 dollar price is where most of my annoyance lies at the moment... but thirty bucks, I think it's worth it. Pretty much the cost of a Blu-ray.

LQX said:
That said the ending or its abruptness was let down. They could have added a bit more finality to it but it makes me look forward to part 3..

I absolutely love Dog Days but the ending was really a buzz kill.
The ending level was great when
you got to play as Kane again. Made we remember playing through the entirety of the first game. But than boom, they get on the plane and the game ends. I would have at least been fine with a cutscene showing them hijack it but we didn't even get that.

LQX

DarkSoul520 said:
I absolutely love Dog Days but the ending was really a buzz kill.
The ending level was great when
you got to play as Kane again. Made we remember playing through the entirety of the first game. But than boom, they get on the plane and the game ends. I would have at least been fine with a cutscene showing them hijack it but we didn't even get that.
Yeah those were my exact sentiments also. I'm guessing the next one will continue directly as that was way too abrupt. I even waited until after the credits hoping it would continue.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
They should have sold it for 30 bucks. The 60 dollar price is where most of my annoyance lies at the moment... but thirty bucks, I think it's worth it. Pretty much the cost of a Blu-ray.
Yeah I think it was worth the $5 and would have been satisfied paying $20-$30 but no way $60 as it can be completed in under 5 hours.

Tizoc

Found the game being sold for 20 bucks, will pick it up 2morrow since I didn't have enough cash on me at the time.

derFeef

I tried to get into it again a few weeks back, but something is broken about the cover mechanics. When aiming out of covor, Lynch blocks the view and I can't see my target. It is really weird.

ctrayne

Add me to the list of fans. Thought the presentation was great, unique and bold, which is rare in the samey-same world of video games. Next time I want to play as Kane though.

Eurocult

Picked it up for $8 & finished a few days ago. Very surprised at how good it was. Loved the art direction and set pieces.

I just wanted to say, this is probably the only nihilistic shooter (franchise?) along with Max Payne. You're just getting more fucked-up journeys into this duo's erratic life. Kane and Lynch are not even anti-heroes, they're not criminals with gold hearts, they're just really fascinating criminals with interesting motivations. This is the series' hook, sets it apart from the male power fantasies that most shooters are. These are not characters you'd want to hang around with at all, but be voyeurs to their insane life.

Kane and Lynch 1 was brilliant in the story department (HEAT: the game), Kane and Lynch 2 nailed the atmosphere, graphics, and gameplay, but wasn't as good on capitalising on the story.

Dog Days just was a series of "how fucked up can we get now" situations for the duo, which had the intended impact of making me feel drained and just escape the damn place when the airport came up (which again references HEAT with the lights and sneaking). The bit with the torture is great, and I love how Lynch handles the Shanghai mob boss ("no more deals"), revealing Kane's more "capitalist" side. But aside from that, it can't beat the many story moments in the first game.

The sniper malfunction bit with Lynch, kidnapping the mob boss daughter, the heist where Lynch's hallucinations are revealed, the almost hellish trash truck boss level with Jenny in a ditch, and the choice endings being both bad and well-handled. Saving Jenny is super easy, while saving your squad is a whole other mission. I loved the audio "diaries"/flashbacks between levels or when you're dying, waiting for a revive. Playing co-op with Lynch's hallucinations has to be one of the coolest moments in gaming, and I wish they didn't drop it in 2. I know he's on medication. I liked his outrage in the torture bit of Dog Days and his constant weird mumblings, but it loses the visual appeal of the character.

I love that the games have had character-centric gameplay. The game's strong point isn't just the art direction. Dead Men was all about Kane, so it was more of a squad shooter, recalling Freedom Fighters, much bigger spaces, less ambushes and just more control of the situation. Gameplay in Dog Days is all in-your-face Lynch, tons of ambushes, really forced you to flank around, no need for ADS, use inaccurate close-quarter weapons like the shotguns with the awesome spread. Those gun sounds, goddamn. The inclusion of civilians, I'm surprised how little controversy it brought. You could chase around individual civilians, which is so incredibly sadistic! On "Extreme" difficulty it's a lot of fun.

If there is a Kane and Lynch 3, I hope Jenny's more involved, drops the "one last mission" trope, and brings a great memorable story along with improved combat.

"Since it's a videogame I do what comes naturally, and shoot one of those women in the head. Pixelation is used not only to blur out the really naughty bits, but to also deny any sense of satisfaction. I just killed an innocent person because...oh right it's a videogame, maybe I was expecting an achievement or something."

I really love the little detail of the censoring of headshots, it's used to great affect to make you feel sick of what you've done. The whole series is pretty much the antithesis of male power fantasy. Who wants to play the hellish journeys of 40-something washed-up criminals/psychopaths with damaged backgrounds and pathetic lives?

I think this ad for the first game sums it up (whilst also making jabs at GTA).

Such a great point A to B shooter. dustins trailer made me pop it in again and experience the underappreciated grittiness and satisfying gunplay. Happy Easter motherfuckers.

soultron

Banned
Playing through this now. I got a really bad case of motion sickness after playing 3 chapters that I was happy to discover you can turn the shakycam stuff off.

Interesting game so far but I feel that the worst thing about it is the dialogue. K&L are interesting characters, but their V/O reads seem flat and the actual moment-to-moment dialogue is pretty bland.

Mascot

Very LTTP, but I picked this up for 97p on 360 a while ago and have only just got round to giving it a go.

I'm only a couple of levels in but I'm seriously impressed by the art style (especially the post-processing) and by the staggering improvements in every department over Dead Men. I wasn't expecting much from this game (and it still might not ultimately deliver - I'll reserve judgement until it's complete) but so far I'm loving it.

Top Bottom