• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days |OT|

Dyno said:
Played through the first two chapters on a friend's PC. It looks good in some places and the drama is okay but the shooting battles get monotonous because there is no variety whatsoever. It's only a crime story in that you are committing murder on a mass scale. The game is nothing more than a bloody and violent version of Wack-A-Mole. It feels very unfinished in many ways. They make large areas but there isn't much in them. There isn't even a melee attack!

Pass.

Point blank shotgun to the face or hostage execution > Melee attack

You're semi right though. It's basically Michael Mann presents: Wack-A-Mole 2010

Just got the game today afternoon, rented it. Started playing Co-Op around 3 and beat it at like 6:15., keep in mind we played it on easy.

It was fun while it lasted and I haven't played the multiplayer yet. I liked how it is short because I wouldn't want to play it for long with all the shaky cam.

Fun game, will try online later tonight or tomorrow.

sweetvar26 said:
Just got the game today afternoon, rented it. Started playing Co-Op around 3 and beat it at like 6:15., keep in mind we played it on easy.

It was fun while it lasted and I haven't played the multiplayer yet. I liked how it is short because I wouldn't want to play it for long with all the shaky cam.

Fun game, will try online later tonight or tomorrow.

Options / Shakycam / Disable. So Good!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
You know, I spent more time with it and it's growing on me. Repetitive, yes, but there's definitely something about it I enjoy. The atmosphere is incredibly thick in a way few games can match. It definitely captures the feel of Shanghai.

VibratingDonkey said:
These reviews are confusing me. I liked Dead Men. So if someone who didn't gives Dog Days a higher score, is that a good sign?

Jim Sterling is a humongous untrustworthy troll, but it seems he liked the same things I did about the first game.

Oh well, I'll find out what to think for myself when I get the game later this week hopefully.
Yeah I'm with you on this one... I mainly dug the first game because of the mission scenarios, every level felt like a different action movie and had really good pacing between everything going according to plan and completely tits-up (repelling down the side of the skyscraper to shooting riot cops on the streets). That review makes it sound like I'll just be walking down a narrow alley filled with chest-high walls (and that’s what I got from the demo), like every other cover-based shooter out there.

SamBishop

Banned
Danne-Danger said:
Yeah I'm with you on this one... I mainly dug the first game because of the mission scenarios, every level felt like a different action movie and had really good pacing between everything going according to plan and completely tits-up (repelling down the side of the skyscraper to shooting riot cops on the streets). That review makes it sound like I'll just be walking down a narrow alley filled with chest-high walls (and that’s what I got from the demo), like every other cover-based shooter out there.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Everything's meant to sort of flow as one continuous moment with very few breaks, so there's none of that set-up to anything. Basically the game goes to shit right from the get-go and from there it's shoot, shoot, shoot, kick door, shoot, shoot, shoot. I finished it in just over four hours a couple days ago and by the end I was definitely ready for it to end. The final level is a really, really lengthy slog and honestly the level that preceded it was the high point of the game. The last level capper is ends up sort of beating you over the head with that gameplay until you're basically done when the game's over.

It's short, yes, but if it were any longer I would have hated things after another level.

The first batch of DLC will be released on August 31st- its all the retailer specific pre order goodies for MP.

Hopefully they add DLC to the single player.

played a bit of this tonight and it basically is nothing more then trudging through alleys and samey buildings.

even when you move to a new location there isn't any difference. KL2 just lacks variety of any kind making it ultra boring. thank goodness it is a short game.

EXGN

Played it for a bit, really bland so far. It's a total 180 from the first game, which was full of personality but devoid of playablity. Now its mechanically fine but dry as hell.

Though the first game played like molasses, the scenarios were what made it for me. Rappelling down the side of a skyscraper for an assassination, robbing banks with a mind-fucked accomplice, kidnapping a victim and trying to sneak out of a throbbing night club - it was all so varied (until the last half).

K&L2 seems to function better, but its missing all the character that the first game had. If/when they make a third part, I hope they can balance the two more effectively. As it is right now, I feel like the sucker that secretly hopes his crush of five years will someday turnaround and fall in love with him.

So yeah, basically finished it in 2 sittings with coop friend for the entire experience.
Overall I still loved what it did and it's still one of my favorite core 3rd person shooter this gen.
The combat just feels amazingly satisfying to me.

Can't wait to dig into the MP modes so more

Is it short? Fuck yeah it is! =P

Gametrailer's review is up: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-kane-lynch/703248

Haven't seen it, but apparently it's 8.1/10

Finished it today. Asides from the short length and abrupt ending (seriously, WTF?), I fucking loved the game. The gameplay was sound, the visuals and sound work was fantastic, and the atmosphere was amazing. I do wish they'd fleshed out the characters a bit more, but there were some great touches here and there that just made them so much more believable to me...

Really, it comes down to the voice work... say what you will about the gameplay or visuals, but the voice actors are brilliant. In 'A Thousand Cuts', just hearing the anguish in Lynch's voice made me really feel for him, and then there was the sick humour and just plain pity as he's freaking out, screaming "I'm naked, there are people shooting and screaming!" I laughed, but I felt so bad for doing so. That entire level was just shocking, something I'm not used to in gaming. And seeing Kane actually attempt to support Lynch was good to see... he asks Lynch (albeit awkwardly) if he wants to talk, even after all the shit, he still takes Lynch along, he comes to help Lynch rescue Xiu (fairly sure he had the shot), and even at the end when Lynch comes gunning in, he says 'Attaboy'. Though the abrupt "escape on a plane" ending left a lot to be desired. And also strange to play as Kane at the end, but it rocked in a strange way.

Anyways, I'm hoping for a KL3. I hope they learn more from this one and keep trying to improve it. There's so much potential with these fucked up characters.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
And also strange to play as Kane at the end, but it rocked in a strange way.

Holy shit! I thought it was a bug or something as yeah, this happened to me in coop as well. Weird...
Also, completely agree on the VA totally selling it. K&L's voice actor's alone put in such a tremendous improvement over their work in the first game.

And yes, the sound design in this is indeed up there with Dead Space's
One of the best sounding designed games I've played. The LMG alone, OMG!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The chopper level is awesome, reminds of the harrier scene from True Lies where it tears up the office building. So fun. Hell the entire section in the office building is straight up amazing, all the destructibility, the wind blowing in through the smashed windows billowing those red curtains while debris floats around. Nutso cool stage.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Not sure why people complaining about the lack of variety are even playing this; IO was pretty transparent about the game they were making--one where the experience is fairly monotonous.

Nick@IO

IO Community Manager
Hi guys

IO Interactive community manager here. We appreciate your comments and rest assured they are not falling on deaf ears! We've tried to do a lot of different things with the game and always had a hunch that it would divide the waters as that is what most of the IO titles tend to do but it does look like that most of the people actually playing the game are happy with it, which makes us very happy as well.

If you're into that sort of thing, Goldie, the British drum and bass icon and graffiti artist, did a somewhat crazy artwork piece for KL2 using paint and shotguns. Turned out pretty cool. You can find it on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/kaneandlynchofficial#p/u/1/bCdtlUaCdkQ.

Cheers

Nick

Super rad, thanks man!

Oh yeah, can't stress enough people take their time going through the environments. Sheer density and fine details in them are amazing.
I dunno, I love it when a studio takes their time to produce/render everyday stuff in immense detail ala Mafia II

Thanks for listening, Nick!

My only two complains are:

1. The online lobby system, and the amount of "buffering/loading" entering or exiting or creating a lobby.
2. Character "Snake-ing" or "Gliding" during online mode. I don't know if it's due to lag or if it's a bug but sometimes, other players don't have a running animation and they are just sliding down the road.

shagg_187 said:
Thanks for listening, Nick!

My only two complains are:

1. The online lobby system, and the amount of "buffering/loading" entering or exiting or creating a lobby.
2. Character "Snake-ing" or "Gliding" during online mode. I don't know if it's due to lag or if it's a bug but sometimes, other players don't have a running animation and they are just sliding down the road.

Unfortunately yeah, the way lag is handled in this is pretty wild. My buddy had nothing but complaints when we were playing coop campaign together ...and he lives like 15 minutes from me. We agreed that when we do the campaign, he would host, just so I could see what he was talking about.

fushi

I had a really difficult time accepting the fact that
Xiu just dies and there's nothing to be done about it. Lynch went through so much shit in both games and the only retribution he gets is killing three boss dudes and a bazillion henchmen.
It just didn't sit right with me.

But I guess we all want the world to be just when in reality it rarely is. :lol

UrbanRats

Anyone care to explain WTF's going on with this game? All i hear around is people calling it a disaster, even though i was Blown away from the Steam demo.
I heard that it's really short(3-4 hrs) campaign, and that sucks ass, but it's just that? I'm afraid to get something spoilered, that's why i'm asking you gaffers.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
UrbanRats said:
Anyone care to explain WTF's going on with this game? All i hear around is people calling it a disaster, even though i was Blown away from the Steam demo.
I heard that it's really short(3-4 hrs) campaign, and that sucks ass, but it's just that? I'm afraid to get something spoilered, that's why i'm asking you gaffers.
Here's the deal...

It's a very short, extremely repetitive game. What it does it does well, but that's all it does. The demo? Yeah, that's the entire game in a nutshell.

Doesn't make it a bad game by any means, but it definitely doesn't offer a lot for the player.

I think many are disappointed simply because it feels as if a lot of potential has gone to waste. They've crafted a very gritty yet appealing world here, but it kind of goes to waste as you do nothing but mow down armies of goons and cops. It literally never stops.

If that sounds good to you, go for it!

One thing I definitely feel could have helped is to have kept the camera rolling, so to speak. The time between firefights is handled through loading screens with voice overs. I feel that they should have allowed the player to experience every minute of their experience in Shanghai. Some down time (simply wandering through the world, meeting up with an NPC, or anything else similar) could have improved the experience quite a bit. The environment is compelling enough that simply leaving a scene and making your way back to a hotel or apartment free of combat would still be enjoyable and keep things fresh.

UrbanRats

dark10x said:
Here's the deal...

It's a very short, extremely repetitive game. What it does it does well, but that's all it does. The demo? Yeah, that's the entire game in a nutshell.

Doesn't make it a bad game by any means, but it definitely doesn't offer a lot for the player.

I think many are disappointed simply because it feels as if a lot of potential has gone to waste. They've crafted a very gritty yet appealing world here, but it kind of goes to waste as you do nothing but mow down armies of goons and cops. It literally never stops.

If that sounds good to you, go for it!

One thing I definitely feel could have helped is to have kept the camera rolling, so to speak. The time between firefights is handled through loading screens with voice overs. I feel that they should have allowed the player to experience every minute of their experience in Shanghai. Some down time (simply wandering through the world, meeting up with an NPC, or anything else similar) could have improved the experience quite a bit. The environment is compelling enough that simply leaving a scene and making your way back to a hotel or apartment free of combat would still be enjoyable and keep things fresh.
Thank you very much, you've made it pretty clear.
I loved the demo so much, that i'm gonna take it anyway, just, not at full price.
Too short for 50€, but for less? Yeah, i'll bite.

O.DOGG

I quite enjoyed the game. It is a repetitive, and it is short but it felt good to play in these characters' world again.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Played the first level.

Man, I just love how IO manage to build their game worlds. This makes me so excited for the eventual Hitman 5.

The gun-play was totally boring, though, which is a huge fucking bummer. I hope it gets a little more interesting. I love looking at their Shanghai, but if all I get to do is run through it and take cover then I'm not sure I'll actually play much more.

I couldn't be more in love with the handheld cam UI and post-processing, though. Such a waste of a cool idea on an otherwise boring game. :(

Someone tell me it gets mechanically interesting after the first few levels.

Rez said:

I'd like to know too. I completed up to the demo level and after that almost feel like I have no reason to go on, its all the same. Though I gotta chime in with the rest of you all and say that the visuals and style are ACE!

What can I say, the shooting never got old. It's just THAT GOOD ...for me anyway =P
I do agree though that this Shanghai is one of coolest places in games I've been in, so it's a shame that, indeed, there aren't more creative things to be done with it.

SP DLC PLEEEAAAAAAAAAASE!!!!!

derFeef said:
I am thinking of buying that game through Steam RIGHT NOW - but it´s 10€ more than what I would pay elsewhere.

I guess it hinges on the MP side of things for PC. Was MP in the PC demo? if so, was it good?
I think the price is totally justifiable if you plan on putting some quality time into it.

Speculator

BioWare Austin
Having lived in Shanghai for a few years...its the closest representation of it I've seen in any media from the West 0-0

derFeef

AgentOtaku said:
I guess it hinges on the MP side of things for PC. Was MP in the PC demo? if so, was it good?
I think the price is totally justifiable if you plan on putting some quality time into it.
MP was stable but a bit too fast for me as I had no idea what the hell is going on. I enjoyed the demo for a few times and plan to play the full game with a friend in co-op.

Nemesis_

I've been sitting here for 30 minutes and can't find a game of Multiplayer. What the hell gives?

Is there some way IO could, well, patch it so that even without the maximum amount of players, games could start? This does not bode well if I actually choose to keep the game and want to play the game with a few mates later on down the track.

Please fix this IO. =(

Seventy5

I finished earlier today. Its two hours too short and ends too abruptly but what's there was very enjoyable. Almost every gunfight was visceral and challenging. I'm definitely going to play thru again on extreme and play tons of arcade mode. I just wish there were more people playing online on ps3. Arcade mode alone will keep me from trading this in. Anyone know of you can level up in arcade mode or do you have to wait it out for lobbies to get the better guns unlocked?

GeekyDad

The Interrobanger said:
...It's basically Michael Mann presents: Wack-A-Mole 2010

:lol Perhaps the best description yet of the gameplay. It's like the bank shootout toward the end of Heat, but it lasts for roughly four hours.

It's pretty strong on PSN and everyone that I've played with has the idea on how to play each mode. So if the PSN population is good than the XBL is doing well too.

Finally rented and forced myself through this horrible game. The reviews got this one right.

- Shooting is not improved from the first game.
- Guns are still highly inaccurate. Especially assault rifles. Shotguns have better range. Like that makes sense.
- Enemies are highly accurate and they can hit you even in cover.
- Taking hostages only work 50% of the time since you have to wait for the button prompt to appear. If it doesn't it's instant death.

Nick@IO said:
Hi guys

IO Interactive community manager here. We appreciate your comments and rest assured they are not falling on deaf ears! We've tried to do a lot of different things with the game and always had a hunch that it would divide the waters as that is what most of the IO titles tend to do but it does look like that most of the people actually playing the game are happy with it, which makes us very happy as well.

If you're into that sort of thing, Goldie, the British drum and bass icon and graffiti artist, did a somewhat crazy artwork piece for KL2 using paint and shotguns. Turned out pretty cool. You can find it on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/kaneandlynchofficial#p/u/1/bCdtlUaCdkQ.

Cheers

Nick

Nick I hope this doesn't come across as inappropriate, considering it's a Kane & Lynch thread, but can you comment on how the new Hitman is coming? No details, of course, but is development going good? I still play Blood Money from time to time, and to finally see the new Hitman teaser was great.

kinggroin

Banned
Finished it. Short, simple, visceral and worth the play through!

My favorite part was
the naked escape
. Especially loved the skin texture used in that chapter.

kinggroin said:
Finished it. Short, simple, visceral and worth the play through!

My favorite part was
the naked escape
. Especially loved the skin texture used in that chapter.

That was one of my favourite parts of the game as well.

Max

I am not Max
Rez said:
Played the first level.

Man, I just love how IO manage to build their game worlds. This makes me so excited for the eventual Hitman 5.

The gun-play was totally boring, though, which is a huge fucking bummer. I hope it gets a little more interesting. I love looking at their Shanghai, but if all I get to do is run through it and take cover then I'm not sure I'll actually play much more.

I couldn't be more in love with the handheld cam UI and post-processing, though. Such a waste of a cool idea on an otherwise boring game. :(

I feel the exact same way as you about this game. The environment is gorgeously detailed and the post processing effects look really nice.

If only the gameplay wasn't so boring I'd love to continue playing it.

Top Bottom