• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (OT 2?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recon

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Damn, son. This deserves to be quoted again.

I don't know about agreeing with you, but how come none of y'all list Diamonds in his top list of songs? That shit is straight gold, and like NOTHING else from start to finish. And the video was fucking amazing too.

And I disliked that Ross verse at first, but it's growing on me. Fergie's verse sounded out of place at first too, but fuck, that song is too good otherwise from the Elton John, to the CuDi, to the Rihanna bits.

Another random thought but, how fucking amazing would it be to hear Ye produce for the Dipset album? Fucking ridiculous.

I rather not have anyone produce anything for dipset, and they can all just fade into obscurity.

enzo_gt said:
but how come none of y'all list Diamonds in his top list of songs? That shit is straight gold, and like NOTHING else from start to finish. And the video was fucking amazing too.
Diamonds? that song will eternally disappoint me. :lol

I think because the very first time I heard the song, I expected it to finish off as a really deep look at what our culture idolizes and how it's affecting our people. And the whole first verse was indeed that.

to me, it was like,

Verse 1: Recognition for the death from the drug trade that goes towards buying these blood diamonds...and the death that comes with the harvesting of the diamonds themselves. that we ironically enslave ourselves here to get them...and enslave our people in Sierra Leone to help us get them. Understanding regarding the pursuit for gold and diamonds changing upon seeing the pictures and the videos of how our black people are treated by these exploitative diamond companies. Damn. it's also worth keeping in mind that this song came out around the apex of a growing awareness surrounding how our brothers and sisters on the mother continent were dying to harvest gold, diamonds and other precious stones, so that verse and song contained the opportunity to really address a serious issue in our community...and one worth talking about. Can Kanye help the average hip-hop listener actually become more conscious about the world around them and their role in it?

Verse 2:

reggiey.jpg

"Oh well, fuck it!"

the shift was just always too jarring for my sensibilities. the acknowledgement of such a sobering reality...only to shift into "whatever, I'm not going to feel guilty!" mode only seconds later.

it would have been one of my all-time Kanye favorites if not for my inability to accept 2 such contrasting yet equally emphasized thoughts. idk. maybe I didn't understand the song well enough. if anyone else would like to clarify, feel free.

Fuck you, Dipset is awesome and I'm so happy they reunited <3

They are the absolute pinnacle of ignorant rap. People are all about that Waka Flocka and Soulja Boy and Gucci and Hurricane Chris and shit...but Dipset is 1,000,000x better.

And from a technical standpoint, they are actually capable rappers too, unlike that other!

I don't know that they'd do well on Kanye tracks, though. They did their best work with Just Blaze, Heatmakerz and similar production.

Dreams-Visions said:

I think because the very first time I heard the song, I expected it to finish off as a really deep look at what our culture idolizes and how it's affecting our people. And the whole first verse was indeed that.

to me, it was like,

Verse 1: Recognition for the death that goes on to buy the diamonds...and the death that comes with the harvesting of the diamonds. that we ironically enslave ourselves here to get them...and enslave our people in Sierra Leone to help us get them. Understanding regarding the pursuit for gold and diamonds changing upon seeing the pictures and the videos of how our black people are treated by these exploitative diamond companies. Damn.

Verse 2:

reggiey.jpg

the shift was just always too jarring for my sensibilities. the acknowledgement of such a sobering reality...only to shift into "whatever, I'm not going to feel guilty!" mode only seconds later.

it would have been one of my all-time Kanye favorites if not for my inability to accept 2 such contrasting yet equally emphasized thoughts. idk. maybe I didn't understand the song well enough. if anyone else would like to clarify, feel free.

The remix with Jay-Z you mean?

I remember when Lupe killed that track and talked about the diamond trade, then Kanye went back and remixed it to include some consciousness...then put Jay-Z on there for no reason.

PhoenixDark said:
The remix with Jay-Z you mean?
yes, sorry. for some reason, I never really listened to the other version because the remix was the one in the middle of the album and I heard it first. I think I was so frustrated I didn't really even care to entertain the other versions. :lol

I'll get on that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ReconYoda said:
I rather not have anyone produce anything for dipset, and they can all just fade into obscurity.
WHAT? Kanye said it himself, Dipset is so necessary. They're fucking awesome as a unit, and do the "don't give a fuck" rap justice.

Dreams-Visions said:

to me, it was like,

Verse 1: Recognition for the death from the drug trade that goes towards buying these blood diamonds...and the death that comes with the harvesting of the diamonds themselves. that we ironically enslave ourselves here to get them...and enslave our people in Sierra Leone to help us get them. Understanding regarding the pursuit for gold and diamonds changing upon seeing the pictures and the videos of how our black people are treated by these exploitative diamond companies. Damn. it's also worth keeping in mind that this song came out around the apex of a growing awareness surrounding how our brothers and sisters on the mother continent were dying to harvest gold, diamonds and other precious stones, so that verse and song contained the opportunity to really address a serious issue in our community...and one worth talking about. Can Kanye help the average hip-hop listener actually become more conscious about the world around them and their role in it?

Verse 2:

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/4669/reggiey.jpg[IMG]

"Oh well, fuck it!"

it would have been one of my all-time Kanye favorites if not for my inability to accept 2 such contrasting yet equally emphasized thoughts. idk. maybe I didn't understand the song well enough. if anyone else would like to clarify, feel free.[/QUOTE]
Are we talking about the same Diamonds? The original Diamonds had little to do with Diamonds. The remix is a conscious verse at the start followed by half of the second verse before Jay-Z comes in with that incredible, destructive verse.
[QUOTE=PhoenixDark]The remix with Jay-Z you mean?

I remember when Lupe killed that track and talked about the diamond trade, then Kanye went back and remixed it to include some consciousness...then put Jay-Z on there for no reason.[/QUOTE]
That Jigga verse will resonate forever.
[I]I'm not a businessman / I'm a business, man. Let me handle my business, damn.[/I]

Jay-Z's verse is amazing but doesn't need to be on that song

The video for the song is also weird. It speaks on the diamond trade heavily but the original song pretty much ignores the topic, outside of Kanye talking about the hypocrisy of shining.

enzo_gt said:
Are we talking about the same Diamonds? The original Diamonds had little to do with Diamonds. The remix is a conscious verse at the start followed by half of the second verse before Jay-Z comes in with that incredible, destructive verse.

That Jigga verse will resonate forever.
I'm not a businessman / I'm a business, man. Let me handle my business, damn.
I'm talking about the remix. and the first verse clearly had a ton to do with diamonds. I'll need to give the other version some more spins, but my opinion was affected by the version I heard first.

As for J's verse, it had no value in the context of the stage set by the beginning of the song. THAT's the problem. the verse itself was good shit, but not when I'm left looking for some more introspective, reflective conscious shit.

you know what that song was like to me? did you see the movie Sunshine?

shit went from epic sci-fi to mediocre horror in one of the most frustrating sudden shifts in the history of sci-fi films. it wasn't the individual parts of the film that were the problem...it was the SHIFT. I just wasn't ready.

extrapolate and apply liberally.

PhoenixDark said:
Jay's verse should have been on the original Diamonds
100% agree. Just listened to the original again. It definitely has nothing at all to do with Diamonds from Sierra Leone. would have been perfect here.

I think I never really listened to this one because it's a "Bonus" song. Made me assume it was the real remix (I don't think I've ever seen a normal version of a song listed as the "bonus" song) and thus a lower priority.

anyway, someone mentioned that there is a Mix of this song with Lupe? Gonna have to find that...like now.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I also had no idea Lupe did a Diamonds freestyle. Do want, will hunt it down as well.

But beyond just the verses, that beat was sonically on a whole entire fucking level. Seriously, its one of those beats you go back to and your still amazed at how well it's put together.

Swag

Dreams-Visions said:
you know what that song was like to me? did you see the movie Sunshine?

shit went from epic sci-fi to mediocre horror in one of the most frustrating sudden shifts in the history of sci-fi films. it wasn't the individual parts of the film that were the problem...it was the SHIFT. I just wasn't ready.

extrapolate and apply liberally.

I watched this last week, I can understand what your saying 100% :lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Holy shit at that Lupe Diamonds freestyle. O_O

..goddamn if I was Ye I would've shit a brick and called that the remix, along with my own conscious verse. Jay-Z should've been on original and the Remix should have replaced him with Lupe.

...man you guys not hearing the Lupe version to Diamonds or "Conflict Diamonds." -___- Please check out the Fahrenheit 1/15 mixtapes.

Back to Kanye, you're right, Diamonds' first verse is so epic and the second verse is just like "wtf." I will always admire the production, though.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Waiting on the retail release so I haven't listened to the leak, but I am listening to the "Good Dreams" mixtape. Mostly stuff from the Good Friday releases. Maybe giving away good tracks before the album releases and mixtapes actually works.

I have no idea how "The Joy" didn't make the album. This might be my song of the year, no lie. Slim Thug was tweeting about this song last week, lol.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
spindashing said:
...man you guys not hearing the Lupe version to Diamonds or "Conflict Diamonds." -___- Please check out the Fahrenheit 1/15 mixtapes.

Back to Kanye, you're right, Diamonds' first verse is so epic and the second verse is just like "wtf." I will always admire the production, though.
Give me a break man, I got into Lupe a few months before he dropped The Cool :lol Needless to say, I wish I got into his shit earlier.

Bowser

There are people who haven't heard Conflict Diamonds? How can you be a Lupe fan and not have heard his Fahrenheit 1/15 mixtapes?

Yes, even you enzo. I figure if you had got in with The Cool, the first thing you would do is hunt for his old stuff :lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Bowser said:
There are people who haven't heard Conflict Diamonds? How can you be a Lupe fan and not have heard his Fahrenheit 1/15 mixtapes?

Yes, even you enzo. I figure if you had got in with The Cool, the first thing you would do is hunt for his old stuff :lol
I have no defence for myself, seriously :lol Will get on that once this huge swarm of music atm ends. Currently swamped with Food & Liquor (Yes I heard that for the first time after spin put me on blast :lol )/MotM2/MBDTF/Friday Night Lights. I'm good with the amount of music I have to listen to right now.

I like Gone too, wouldn't put it in my top 10 or even 15 of all time for Ye though. Still a really good song.

Oozer3993

D-Fens said:
Gone never gets enough love...

Great song. One of my favorites from LR.

Kanye performed All of the Lights for the first time over the weekend during a concert in Abu Dhabi. He only performed the first verse, but it transitioned in Flashing Lights and was awesome. Sadly I can only find two videos of it, and they're both horrible quality.

On a side note, anyone else think Kanye would put on the most incredible Super Bowl halftime show ever? Stronger and All of the Lights were made to be performed on a stage that big and an audience that large. C'mon Roger Goodell! Do something cool for once!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oozer3993 said:
Great song. One of my favorites from LR.

Kanye performed All of the Lights for the first time over the weekend during a concert in Abu Dhabi. He only performed the first verse, but it transitioned in Flashing Lights and was awesome. Sadly I can only find two videos of it, and they're both horrible quality.

On a side note, anyone else think Kanye would put on the most incredible Super Bowl halftime show ever? Stronger and All of the Lights were made to be performed on a stage that big and an audience that large. C'mon Roger Goodell! Do something cool for once!
Kanye needs to do Madison Square Garden and perform All of the Lights. And film that shit Fade in Black style. I think with the number of amazing songs Ye has, he could potentially pull shit off like that.

Ashhong said:
Maybe my favorite Kanye song ever. Definitely top 3

same...

I'm a sucker for Hey Mama, especially the Grammy version too. But Gone is just too good. I'm a huge sucker for Otis Redding too.

Drive Slow with Paww Waww? Yeah that song was pretty good. My favorite on that album though was Diamonds Remix though. Just that beat, and Kanye's lyrics on that song.

Bowser said:

as someone who came to those tapes late, they are kinda hard to get into, still great stuff but nothing on the cool or food and liqour

Karish

LOVE the album. "All of the Lights" is incredible.

I do wish there was more Kanye rapping throughout the album though.

Ephemeris

D-Fens said:
Gone never gets enough love...
I had an all Kanye playlist going in the car and it snuck up on me. Forgot how much I loved that song. I could paste the entire last verse FFS.
They claim you never know what you got 'til it's GONE
I know I got it, I don't know what y'all on
I'ma open up a store for aspiring MC's
Won't sell 'em no dream, but the inspiration is free
But if they ever flip sides like Anakin
You'll sell everything includin the mannequin
They got a new bitch now you Jennifer Aniston
Hold on I'll handle it, don't start panickin, stay calm
Shorty's at the door cause they need more
Inspiration for they life, they souls, and they songs
They said sorry Mr. West is gone!

Paul Wall wasn't "terrible", but Drive slow could have been better (if he stuck on topic :lol ) Still love it though.

Man. I have a hard time ranking his albums. Still can't do it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
GodfatherX said:
as someone who came to those tapes late, they are kinda hard to get into, still great stuff but nothing on the cool or food and liqour
Holy shit there are 4 (or 3?) of them according to wiki. Enthusiasm decreasing :lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
killertofu said:
I just re-listened to CD. Damn, I still love Family Business. Wheres this Kanye?
Best song on TCD.

TCD - Family Business (Honorable Mention: Never Let Me Down/Through The Wire)
LR - Drive Slow (Honorable Mention: Diamonds/Heard Em Say)
Grad - Can't Tell Me Nothing (Honorable Mention: Everything I Am/Homecoming)
808s - Welcome To Heartbreak (Honorable Mention: Coldest Winter/Amazing)
MBDTF - All of the Lights (Honorable Mentions: So Appalled/Dark Fantasy)

Ofcourse, this is what I can recollect atm. My opinions change on this shit like every day :lol

HiResDes

TCD: Two Words (Honorable Mention: Last Call)
LR: Crack Music (Honorable Mention: Drive Slow)
Graduation: Everything I Am (Honorable Mention: Can't Tell Me Nothing)
808's And Heartbreak: Welcome To Heartbreak (Honorable Mention: Amazing)
MBDTF: Blame Game (Honorable Mention: Devil in a New Dress)

enzo_gt said:
Best song on TCD.

TCD - Family Business (Honorable Mention: Never Let Me Down/Through The Wire)
LR - Drive Slow (Honorable Mention: Diamonds/Heard Em Say)
Grad - Can't Tell Me Nothing (Honorable Mention: Everything I Am/Homecoming)
808s - Welcome To Heartbreak (Honorable Mention: Coldest Winter/Amazing)
MBDTF - All of the Lights (Honorable Mentions: So Appalled/Dark Fantasy)

Ofcourse, this is what I can recollect atm. My opinions change on this shit like every day :lol
my favs

TCD - Never Let Me Down (Honorable Mention: Family Business/All Falls Down)
LR - Bring Me Down (Honorable Mention: Crack Music/Drive Slow)
Grad - Can't Tell Me Nothing (Honorable Mention: Good Life/Champion)
MBDTF - So Appalled (Honorable Mentions: Blame Game/POWER)

the beauty of Kanye's music is that there is no default set of his "best". Everyone has their own list because his speak to each of us differently.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dreams-Visions said:
my favs

TCD - Never Let Me Down (Honorable Mention: Family Business/All Falls Down)
LR - Bring Me Down (Honorable Mention: Crack Music/Drive Slow)
Grad - Can't Tell Me Nothing (Honorable Mention: Good Life/Champion)
MBDTF - So Appalled (Honorable Mentions: Blame Game/POWER)

the beauty of Kanye's music is that there is no default set of his "best". Everyone has their own list because his speak to each of us differently.
Yeah, I'm already regretting not putting Blame Game in there, that song definitely gets better the more you listen to it :lol

LCfiner

I think my choices are gonna be a lot more “pop focused” than most posters here… but, what the heck — I like lists

CD: Jesus Walks (runners up: School Spirit. New Workout Plan)
LR: Diamonds (runners up: Gone/ Gold Digger)
Graduation: Stronger (runners up: Good Morning/ Can’t Tell Me Nothing)
808s: Love Lockdown (Welcome to Heartbreak/ Heartless)

MBDTF: AOTL (runners up: Lost In the World/ Hell of a life/ power/ dark fantasy/ monster/ so appalled/ you see where I’m going here. this album is too new and I like too much of it to be objective…)

Bread

Banned
TCD - Spaceship (Honorable Mention: We Don't Care)
LR - Touch the Sky (Honorable Mention: My Way Home )
Grad - I Wonder (Honorable Mention: Stronger/Champion)
808s - Paranoid (Honorable Mention: Amazing)
MBDTF - Blame Game (Honorable Mentions: Dark Fantasy/POWER)

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
TCD: Family Business. (Honorable mentions: All Falls Down, Never Let Me Down)
LR: Roses. (Honorable mentions: Gone, Drive Slow)
Graduation: Flashing Lights. (Honorable mentions: Stronger, Good Morning)
808s & Heartbreak: Amazing (Honorable mentions: Heartless)
MBDTF: Hell of A Life. (Honorable mentions: Blame Game, Dark Fantasy)

Picking favorites from TCD and LR is so fuck hard, I really like the beat in Last Call wish he wouldn't go into that long ass monologue and just rap over it. I haven't really listen to 808s that much...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Error said:
TCD: Family Business. (Honorable mentions: All Falls Down, Never Let Me Down)
LR: Roses. (Honorable mentions: Gone, Drive Slow)
Graduation: Flashing Lights. (Honorable mentions: Stronger, Good Morning)
808s & Heartbreak: Amazing (Honorable mentions: Heartless)
MBDTF: Hell of A Life. (Honorable mentions: Blame Game, Dark Fantasy)

Picking favorites from TCD and LR is so fuck hard, I really like the beat in Last Call wish he wouldn't go into that long ass monologue and just rap over it. I haven't really listen to 808s that much...
It's so weird, the rhymes are ill in Last Call but, I never shut it off during that monologue.. I've listened to the entire thing so many times, it still entertains me :lol

TCD: Two Words (Honorable mentions: We Don't Care/Never Let Me Down)
LR: Heard 'Em Say (Honorable mentions: Gone/Diamonds)
Graduation: I Wonder (Honorable mentions: The Glory/Good Morning)
808s & Heartbreak: Street Lights (Honorable mentions: Say You Will/Robocop)
MBDTF: Blame Game (Honorable mentions: Dark Fantasy/Hell of a Life)

Tucah

you speak so well
Sure, why not.

CD: All Falls Down (Honorable Mention: Never Let Me Down)
LR: Drive Slow (Honorable Mention: Roses)
Graduation: Flashing Lights (Honorable Mention: Stronger)
808s: Coldest Winter (Honorable Mention: Streetlights)
MBDTF: Blame Game (Honorable Mention: Dark Fantasy) - For now at least :lol

Bowser

Eh, I'll get in on this:

TCD: Last Call (HM: Spaceship) - damn, that was hard
LR: Roses (HM: Diamonds)
Graduation: Flashing Lights (HM: Can't Tell Me Nothing)
808s: Welcome To Heartbreak (HM: Heartless)
MBDTF: Dark Fantasy (HM: So Appalled) - Also difficult

And here's how I'd rank the 5: TCD > MBDTF > LR > Graduation > 808s

Robot 492

Banned
Ooooh, I love lists.

TCD: All Falls Down (Honorable Mention: We Don't Care)
LR: Touch the Sky (Honorable Mention: Bring Me Down)
Graduation: Flashing Lights (Honorable Mention: Good Morning)
808s: none - don't care for this album
MBDTF: Dark Fantasy (Honorable Mentions: Blame Game, Power, Lost in the World)

Ranking the albums:

TCD > LR > MBDTF > Graduation

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Oh and my favorite GOOD Friday track is Christian Dior Denim Flow.

TCD=LR>MBDTF>Graduation

In a few years I'll be able to see if MBDTF stacks up to TCD and LR. Love the album, though. Don't rank 808s, I haven't really listened that much to it.

golem

TCD: Never Let Me Down (HM: Through the Wire)
LR: Touch the Sky (HM: Diamonds)
Graduation: Champion (HM: Homecoming)
808s: See You In My Nightmares (HM: Amazing)
MBDTF: Blame Game (HM: Dark Fantasy)

TCD > MBDTF > 808s > Graduation > LR

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
golem said:
TCD: Never Let Me Down (HM: Through the Wire)
LR: Touch the Sky (HM: Diamonds)
Graduation: Champion (HM: Homecoming)
808s: See You In My Nightmares (HM: Amazing)
MBDTF: Blame Game (HM: Dark Fantasy)

TCD > MBDTF > 808s > Graduation > LR
Wait, has Kanye GAF gone in on you already for your LR placement, or is this the first time? :p

And damn, you guys weren't kidding about your love for Flashing Lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom