• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (OT 2?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
TCD = Family Business/All Falls Down
LR = Touch the Sky / Roses
Graduation = Stronger
808s = Coldest Winter? Idk, I haven't really listened to this.
MBDTF = Lost in the World / Hell of a Life

Ashhong

It's been too long...

CD - Spaceship or Jesus Walks
LR - Gone
Graduation - Flashing Lights
808s - Robocop or Coldest Winter
MBDTF - Dark Fantasy or Lost in the World

Oozer3993

TCD: Jesus Walks (Honorable Mention: All Falls Down)
LR: Addiction (Honorable Mention: Gone)
Grad: I Wonder (Honorable Mention: Stronger)
808s: Heartless (Honorable Mention: Love Lockdown)
MBDTF: All of the Lights (Honorable Mention: Lost in the World)

That was hard. If you were to ask me this a week from now, you'd probably get different songs for LR and Graduation.

And now for the really controversial portion of this post:

LR => 808s > MBTF > Grad > TCD

ATF487

TCD: Last Call (HM: We Don't Care)
LR: Gone (HM: Diamonds From Sierra Leone (Remix))
Grad: Flashing Lights (HM: I Wonder)
808s: Street Lights (HM: Paranoid)
MBDTF: Monster (HM: Lost in the Woods)

LR > TCD > MBDTF >> Graduation >>> 808s

Recently listened to 808s and liked it a lot more than I did on release. I think I'd that album at least a 7.5 so that's a pretty damn good run of albums right there

Bread

Banned
Oozer3993 said:
LR => 808s > MBTF > Grad > TCD
293jdrt.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
MWS Natural said:
Is the album out already??
Next tuesday. Prep your wallet, son.

And 808s isn't as bad as everyone initially though. Hell I only really began to like it a few months ago, but even still think it pales in comparison to the rest of his work.

Brinbe

Since we're all playing, ranked in order of my fav albums.

TCD: Fucking hell, too many that I love. One day it'll be Two Words or Through The Wire, the next I'll be feelin Family Business and Slow Jamz. Right now, I'll go with Jesus Walks, with an honorable mention to Home ft. John Legend (Fuck it, it was on the advance which I listen to probably more than the actual TCD, so it counts for me :lol)

MBDTF: AOTL (Early hype was so warranted, such a beautiful track it turned out to be), LITW (Somehow he took the amazingness of the early leaked version, and amplified it 100%)

LR: We Major (Superb, has Nas), Touch The Sky (Amazing, has Lupe)

Grad: Flashing Lights (Classic, just classic), Good Life (Honestly, can't help but feel great whenever this comes on).

808: Street Lights, Heartless (Really have grown to love this album as time has passed. Probably gets too much hate).

kr2t0s

Sorry to ask this - but I'm kind of confused on a few things.

For example - this track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UFP7Y1ccyI (sorry - not 100% sure what the name is) - but this isn't on the new record?

Seems like Kanye released a billion tracks that aren't on the record?

If this has been explained - feel free to point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Ashhong

kr2t0s said:

For example - this track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UFP7Y1ccyI (sorry - not 100% sure what the name is) - but this isn't on the new record?

Thanks!

That song, along with a bunch of other new songs, were released for free as part of Kanye's GOOD Fridays initiative. You can download them for free at www.kanyewest.com

kr2t0s said:

Thanks!
it's not on the record.

and yes, there are lots of free releases. the free releases that appear on the album are different.

you can get all the free releases at kanyewest.com.

enzo_gt said:
And 808s isn't as bad as everyone initially though. Hell I only really began to like it a few months ago, but even still think it pales in comparison to the rest of his work.
It's also more subtle, which typical rap fans don't really go for.

Talon

Buckethead said:
Subtle is the wrong word. I meant to say minimalist.
Really? I would say it's overproduced (by design, obviously) and simplistic rather than sparse.

I mean, hell, "Amazing" is pretty evocative of "Gangster's Paradise" and the ilk.

And, for the record, I (probably like most of you) listen to a ton of different music. Metal is probably the only thing I aggressively stay away from.

kruskev

Is there a high quality version of good friday anywhere? That was my favorite release by kanye excluding couple of tracks on the actualy album.

kr2t0s

ohhh! haha - i thought the good friday stuff were all tracks from the new album being released weekly (leading up to the release date). Didn't realize he basically put out enough stuff to make at least 2 albums.

Since they are free - I don't feel too bad asking this, but anyone have them all uploaded and ID3 tags filled out, with artwork?

Talon- said:
Really? I would say it's overproduced (by design, obviously) and simplistic rather than sparse.
Yeah it's just not heavy on huge beats, lots of bass, guest spots, and all that.
More laid back and built like a "record" opposed to an assembly of singles. I don't know how to explain.

Just contrasts greatly with his past work I guess. I like it a lot.
I'm not much the ranking game so I don't care to classify some as better as others.

Swag

LTTP

TCD: All Falls Down (Honorable Mentions: We Don't Care / Never Let Me Down )
LR: Touch The Sky (Honorable Mentions: Gone / Diamonds from Sierra Leon )
Graduation: Flashing Lights ( Honorable Mentions: I Wonder / Bittersweet Poetry )
808s & Heartbreak: Welcome to Heartbreak ( Honorable Mentions: Paranoid / Street Lights )
MBDTF: Lost in the World (Honorable Mentions: Blame Game / Hell of a Life)

Also.

Graduation > MBDTF > TCD > 808 > LR

Yes I truly have that opinion

Talon

Buckethead said:
More laid back and built like a "record" opposed to an assembly of singles. I don't know how to explain.
I mean it's easier to have a consistent-sounding album when you aren't using different types of samples.

Graduation is his most cohesive album despite being his "worst" (IMO, of course). "Good Morning" to "Can't Tell Me Nothing" just fits right. Then we get to "Barry Bonds" and "Drunk and Hot Girls," the latter which brings the album to a screeching halt.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Late registration > college dropout

graduation > beautiful dark fantasy

808s

can't really compare albums that are nothing a like.

worst album to date. songs were boring, none of the lyrics were interesting. most of the songs had too much stuff added to them: blame game, runaway, and a few throwaway songs.

it's like he was aiming for a mood or concept (sadness, searching, fallen king, power, loneliness?) with all in the lights and lost in the world but then you have songs like power and monster. it's an uneven set of songs (devil in a dress). kanye still has not found a way to blend decent hip hop and pop correctly. him using autotune just ruins the songs (lost in the world). he should just be rapping while some who can sing, sings. the beats are weak too. he sould have stuck to that synth/electronic sound he was going for the the last two albums. i'm not sure how much kanye messed with the voices but it sounds like no one had fun in these songs?

kinda off topic, but are their any good suicide/depressing hip hop albums? Something like fashawn's when she calls.

Acid08

Banned
Vox-Pop said:
Late registration > college dropout

graduation > beautiful dark fantasy

808s

can't really compare albums that are nothing a like.

worst album to date. songs were boring, none of the lyrics were interesting. most of the songs had too much stuff added to them: blame game, runaway, and a few throwaway songs.

it's like he was aiming for a mood or concept (sadness, searching, fallen king, power, loneliness?) with all in the lights and lost in the world but then you have songs like power and monster. it's an uneven set of songs (devil in a dress). kanye still has not found a way to blend decent hip hop and pop correctly. him using autotune just ruins the songs (lost in the world). he should just be rapping while some who can sing, sings. the beats are weak too. he sould have stuck to that synth/electronic sound he was going for the the last two albums. i'm not sure how much kanye messed with the voices but it sounds like no one had fun in these songs?

kinda off topic, but are their any good suicide/depressing hip hop albums? Something like fashawn's when she calls.
Hmmmmm this is......strange.

Eh it's not perfection like hyperbole-gaf is saying. But it's not awful either. Definitely inconsistent though. And some shit is just a chore to listen to. I can't sit through Devil or ALL of Runaway.

And All of the Lights outstays it's welcome after a bit too. Much better than Graduation though.

parasight

Ah what the hell, why not?

TCD: All Falls Down (Honorable: Last Call)
LR: Roses (Honorable: Heard 'Em Say)
Graduation: Can't Tell Me Nothing (Honorable: Big Brother)
808s & Heartbreak: Paranoid (Honorable: Street Lights)
MBDTF: Dark Fantasy (Honorable Mentions: Blame Game)

Very tough to decide as my favorites on some albums change every now and then (particularly Graduation)

HiResDes

Discotheque said:
Eh it's not perfection like hyperbole-gaf is saying. But it's not awful either. Definitely inconsistent though. And some shit is just a chore to listen to. I can't sit through Devil or ALL of Runaway.

And All of the Lights outstays it's welcome after a bit too. Much better than Graduation though.
You can't sit through Devil in a New Dress? What is wrong with you?

Discotheque said:
Eh it's not perfection like hyperbole-gaf is saying.
no hyperbole in saying it's album of the year. certainly the best hip-hop album by far.

as for the rest of your post...everyone has different taste, I guess. I don't get tired of any of the songs.

I still don't like All of the Lights, I don't know what you people see in that song. Shit sounds like some crazy ass noise. Overzealous as hell.

Maybe if Ye threw in some swag™ with those whoops I'd be feeling it more.

Vox-Pop said:

Kno - Death Is Silent

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Discotheque said:

I'd argue in terms of consistency, this is the most consistent hip-hop album released this year. This and TSOL. Definitely one of Kanye's most consistent works too, which is why I put it in the TCD/LR category of Kanye albums.

I don't even get tired with the Chris Rock part now, seriously, and that's strange to me. Though Runaway didn't need to be 9 mins long.

HiResDes

toasty_T said:
I still don't like All of the Lights, I don't know what you people see in that song. Shit sounds like some crazy ass noise. Overzealous as hell.

Maybe if Ye threw in some swag™ with those whoops I'd be feeling it more.

Kno - Death Is Silent
More like Joe Budden Mood Muzik Vol.4

Honestly, there were plenty of really solid, consistent hip-hop albums this year including - Shad - TSOL, Apollo Brown - Reset, Skyzoo & Illmind - Live From The Tape Deck, Strong Arm Steady - In Search of Stoney Jackson, Freeway & Jake One - Stimulus Package, The Roots - How I Got Over, Big Boi - Sir Luscious Left Foot, Curren$y - Pilot Talk 2, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom