• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents Yeezus |OT| #YeezySeason Approaches

Courage

What did you guys not get about the Fantano review? He makes good points. We just grew used to how Kanye raps therefore it doesn't bother us as much.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
What did you guys not get about the Fantano review? He makes good points. We just grew used to how Kanye raps therefore it doesn't bother us as much.

I also think anyone who gushes about Bound 2 isn't going to give the rest of the album a fair shake. People still want the old Yeezy, but can't get it anymore.

DominoKid

I don't watch him much anymore since he won that Youtube contest. I used to watch all his reviews, now I just watch the albums I'm interested in. But from what I've seen, Fantano is a slave to the school of thought that promotes lyricism above all else. I disagree so from the start we are at a point where we're just judging music from 2 different, uncompromising views. I enjoy his format, but fuck his opinion. I can't get anything from it.

solarus

I also think anyone who gushes about Bound 2 isn't going to give the rest of the album a fair shake. People still want the old Yeezy, but can't get it anymore.

This, it's the ultimate litmus test. If the only track you enjoy is Bound 2 then this album was never for you and you probably pine for the CD/LR days.

Courage

I don't watch him much anymore since he won that Youtube contest. I used to watch all his reviews, now I just watch the albums I'm interested in. But from what I've seen, Fantano is a slave to the school of thought that promotes lyricism above all else. I disagree so from the start we are at a point where we're just judging music from 2 different, uncompromising views. I enjoy his format, but fuck his opinion. I can't get anything from it.

Fair enough, he holds music at a higher standard in general.

Blearth

Banned
I can't stand the overemphasis on lyricism that some people still have.

It's like rock fans in the 90s whining about the lack of extended guitar solos.

Courage

Not comparable. Guitar solos are not as fundamental as lyricism. But I agree, there's a place for basic and silly lyricism and there's a place for the more serious stuff. Kanye seems to lean on more ignorant punchlines that are especially accentuated in this album where he doesn't give a single fuck.

Courage

Although I agree with Fantano to an extent, I still think his more dumb and ignorant songs are the best ones in the album, as they're his most unique ones.

Probably in the minority, but I love the screaming in Black Skinhead and I Am A God.

uvz

Neo Member
know your audience and everything, but this album is street trash bar bound2, which sounds like old kanye.

Jay-z really spoke to me when he said niggaz want my old shit buy my old albums.

kingocfs

Yeah he's way too hung up on lyrics in that video. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts with these songs.

Why are we looking for lyrical enlightenment in these songs in the first place?

Smh same here man had a whole argument with a co-worker he caught feelings when I said Kanye had a better discography than Jay and Eminem. Then I tell him lyrically yes both are better but that doesn't mean they have better albums then he does. Then he proceeded to say Kanye is a alright lyricist therefore his albums are weaker. Kendrick said it best "And don't call me lyrical because really I'm a nigga that's evil and spiritual i know rappers who say big words that make they similes curve my SIMPLEST SHIT BE MORE PIVOTAL."

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Someone in this thread compared him just above lil Wayne. That's not even the case. At least each song has a concept. Each be even has a meaning even if at first it seems out if place.

With Fantano it's important to remember that he 1. tends to value lyrics above all else, 2. only talks about music in broad, un-quantifiable terms using a lot of creative adjectives and descriptors and 3. doesn't seem to have much of a sense or appreciation for irony or "character" in music. There are a few albums that have gotten under his skin a bit and offended him, even if the point of the song or album in question is meant to be offensive and/or exposing and exploring a dark topic or unsavory, unflattering point of view. There was one line on the last Death Grips album that really bothered him that, in a greater contextual view, was talking about something else entirely.

Oddly enough he can put up with Wu Tang's violence, but he gives a lot of other stuff flack for rough lyrics. I enjoy listening to him describe music, but I don't really take his word as a critic.

StuBurns

Banned
Bound 2 is wonderful, but I don't think it's people thinking it evokes the older albums, it's just such a bright ending to the album. Thirty five minutes of oppressive music, then this little relief. It's a great closer. It actually makes me want to repeat the album to start the cycle again.

GatorBait

The digital releases are a mess. Supposedly the NZ iTunes version isn't the same as the US version (it's missing some of the mixing tweaks). And the physical version is still the worst version of the album. I love Kanye, but this shit is silly. I don't even know if the Amazon/Def Jam one is the same as the iTunes US.

What the fuck is up with Kanye releasing physical copies that have different mastering/mixing than the digital versions?

Anyone know what the differences between all of the versions are?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Was totally rationalizing this the other day.

As much as I would love to hear the interesting and fun threads he spun earlier in his career (Workout Plan, Golddigger) or commentary on real life stuff we all face (All Falls Down, Spaceship) I had to convince myself that guy doesn't exist anymore.

That guy made it to the top and what we have now is current Kanye West. He still has demons to talk about in the form of money, booze, women, etc but it will never be as easy to relate to him as we did on the first few albums. Although, I wish he would creatively reach back to the storytelling mode he exhibited early on.

His later work tends to skew towards the same papparazzi/rich people trouble, but that's who he is and anything else would be a lie so at least he's honest, right?

I enjoy all of his music, but I don't think I will ever enjoy it as much as I did the College Dropout or Late Registration.

And it's really sad, if only because those albums held a special place in my heart. Bear with my softness now, but they were released when I was in college/grad school, so I found them infinitely worth of relating to. Issue with money, women, college troubles also compared with what made those albums so fun to listen to - humor, good story telling, and a good sense of mischievousness in college.

But hey things change (especially music) and people grow up. And that's why we have Yeezus. Not that's it's bad of course.

Milchjon

I don't mind bad lyrics at all, until it comes to the point where they are actively distracting. I listen to all kinds of stupid shit (neither country nor dancehall have great lyrics all the time), but it rarely annoys me like some of the lines on this album.

Like I mentioned before, my first association was "Chillin by the fire while we eatin' fondue" from a Justin Bieber song.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
What the fuck is up with Kanye releasing physical copies that have different mastering/mixing than the digital versions?

Anyone know what the differences between all of the versions are?
We've been discussing them for the past 2 pages. The problem is that they work on the album up until and after release though.

Trigger

Bound 2 is wonderful, but I don't think it's people thinking it evokes the older albums, it's just such a bright ending to the album. Thirty five minutes of oppressive music, then this little relief. It's a great closer. It actually makes me want to repeat the album to start the cycle again.

I totally agree. It enhances repeat listens.

Are we in agreement that the US iTunes is the best master? I've got the FLAC but according to that spectrograph posted earlier, the higher frequencies were walled off? Just trying to figure out what's going on with this

iiicon

From that reddit thread

CD version

iTunes version

That is pretty ridiculous. I understand Kanye wants to master until the last minute. Sure whatever. It's dumb that the CD version is effed like that.

Edit: Here is amazon version from my computer. Looks like it aligns with the itunes version not the CD version. I expect to lose some of the top due to the encoding/compression
This is depressing. I've bought every Kanye album day one on CD and hoped to pick this up after work. I don't really like paying for iTunes files but I guess I can make an exception.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Are we in agreement that the US iTunes is the best master? I've got the FLAC but according to that spectrograph posted earlier, the higher frequencies were walled off? Just trying to figure out what's going on with this

US iTunes = Amazon mp3 > CD press > leak

Saw the link on Pitchfork to the "samples" mixtape someone put out and it has The Beautiful People on it. I'm pretty sure we know for a fact that's not true now.

Soler

Banned
other interesting stuff from the Mike Dean AMA
- a Yeezus tour and Mike Dean will be playing in it
- there's a few different versions of Mama's Boyfriend. no idea when/if any will be released. it's up to Kanye. probably not the Q-Tip one since he played it at RBMA already.
- Kanye maintains his creativity by going to galleries, museums, and he studies.
- Mike's top 3 albums of all time are Untouchable, 2001 and Yeezus
- sometimes he shows Kanye stuff from KTT. he uses KTT for "market research"
- there was never an 8 minute version of I Am A God
- his favorite headphones are The RZAs (what up headphone-gaf)
- Studio Tip: Bring your producer to rehearsals with you for a while. Let him work on arrangements. And plan recordings, so you don't waste time in the studio.
Ktt won

Novid

Banned
Ok. Ye...

This should have been a proggy metal album outside of Bound 2 and the one with Keef. Then maybe it would have different than anything else out there. But just because you banged the formerly known baddest bitch on the planet doesn't make you anywhere close to a god.

Very, VERY disappointed. I was hoping for the rap version of Kasmir/Stairway To Heaven/Achilles Last Stand, and I know Kanye has It in him but this is the reason why Minimalism don't work on the web, nor in much print, nor in TV production media. Its fucking empty as shit.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
other interesting stuff from the Mike Dean AMA
- a Yeezus tour and Mike Dean will be playing in it
- there's a few different versions of Mama's Boyfriend. no idea when/if any will be released. it's up to Kanye. probably not the Q-Tip one since he played it at RBMA already.
- Kanye maintains his creativity by going to galleries, museums, and he studies.
- Mike's top 3 albums of all time are Untouchable, 2001 and Yeezus
- sometimes he shows Kanye stuff from KTT. he uses KTT for "market research"
- there was never an 8 minute version of I Am A God
- his favorite headphones are The RZAs (what up headphone-gaf)
- Studio Tip: Bring your producer to rehearsals with you for a while. Let him work on arrangements. And plan recordings, so you don't waste time in the studio.
Mike Dean tha gawd.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Guilt Trip is becoming one of my favourite songs on the album. I really wish Ocean had more time in the album, I feel like he would have fit in perfectly with a couple of features.

Clott

RAM >>>>>>> Yeezus.

AOTY. Search your heart, you know it's true.

Not even, I couldn't really get into RAM, while this is growing on me more and more. I wish the new Phoenix album could define this summer for me, but it does not have a chance, not next to yeezus.

Top Bottom