• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents Yeezus |OT| #YeezySeason Approaches

Def Jukie

Just watched the Fantano review. I gotta say I agree with a lot of what he had to say. I would rate it higher than he did, probably a strong 6 or a light 7 (using his tough grading scale) if I had to pick a number. I'm enjoying much of the production but so many of the lyrics feel lazy and lackluster. Also, the sooner Kanye finally gives up the autotuned singing the better. I think this album could have been amazing if some of the songs were reworked a bit and Kanye had spent more time on the lyrics because the production largely is really good. I don't care if the lyrics are super deep or technical or anything like that but there are so many lines that are just incredibly corny and schlocky that it really does bring this album down. I like the direction he is going in but for me he didn't quite go far enough.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I hate Kanye West and his music but On Sight is a pretty cool song.

Hate the rest of the album tho, so it'll probably be a huge hit.

DominoKid

tumblr_licc1s0voD1qha8lao1_500.gif

this guy a writing credit on the first 5 songs. no bullshit. you guys should go dig up his album. it's pretty entertaining actually.

i would've loved to sit in on a session for this album. it seems like anybody who was even there for brainstorming got a little bread. i mean some of these cats w/ writing credits don't even make music.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Just watched the Fantano review. I gotta say I agree with a lot of what he had to say. I would rate it higher than he did, probably a strong 6 or a light 7 (using his tough grading scale) if I had to pick a number. I'm enjoying much of the production but so many of the lyrics feel lazy and lackluster. Also, the sooner Kanye finally gives up the autotuned singing the better. I think this album could have been amazing if some of the songs were reworked a bit and Kanye had spent more time on the lyrics because the production largely is really good. I don't care if the lyrics are super deep or technical or anything like that but there are so many lines that are just incredibly corny and schlocky that it really does bring this album down. I like the direction he is going in but for me he didn't quite go far enough.

I never even noticed just how bad the lyrics were until I watched the review, kind of wished I hadn't now.

I'm really digging the overall progressive vibe of this album, its obviously going to be divisive and I get the people that don't like it but I'm glad I am not one of them.

Am I losing my mind or is this James Blake singing on Im In It?

edit: Apparently not, sure sounds like him though.

Ok after a few more listens on the whole album I am loving the whole thing. Still though Blood on the Leaves is my favorite, I need to be careful or I will get sick of it. Can't stop replaying it, over and over.

DaMan121

So, listened through it three times.. it is ok. It doesn't have the production of MBDTF or the ironic lyrics, its raw like 808 but doesn't have the emotional punch. He has definitely regressed lyrically, maybe he has been for a while, but it is very noticeable here as there is very little humour or cleverness.

caesar

Banned
I don't get the problem with the lyrics, imagine how bad it would sound if Kendrick was on the album. By that I mean, the lyrics suit the music perfectly. Context.

I don't get the problem with the lyrics, imagine how bad it would sound if Kendrick was on the album. By that I mean, the lyrics suit the music perfectly. Context.

I don't think there's a context for "I be speaking Swagheli." Line is fucking hilarious but yo

I wonder though, what slightly less dumb Kanye would sound like on this album. You don't have to go full dumb to get that vibe. Danny Brown straddles that line a lot better. I get that he's going for raw and rugged but the dude is clearly playing a part. It'd sound a lot more genuine if he got some Keef to ghost write for him (lol). I don't think Kanye is as good a 'song' writer as he thinks he is either. Dude gets mad concessions for trying though which I don't like. Like, Drake can sing decent enough, I don't hate on him singing a hook because he can but Kanye, just don't my dude, your skills lie elsewhere. In the same way he can't write dumb shit. It just doesn't work. It's an execution thing. He has good ideas but he can't pull them off. I don't think so anyway. If he could, I wouldn't be so down on this album. Which I'm not really, this is like a 3-4. I feel about 4 tracks on a C+/B kind of level. It's ok

hoos30

I loved 808, one of my favorites of all time.

THIS shit is wretched.

The production on 5 or 6 of the tracks is pretty intriging.

The "lyrics"? Holy shit, Kanye has single handedly set music back 30 years. I haven't heard "verses" so bad since the early 80's.

PS: RAM is not that good either.

oc

peanutbutterchocolate

THIS shit is wretched.

The "lyrics"? Holy shit, Kanye has single handedly set music back 30 years. I haven't heard "verses" so bad since the early 80's.

THIS set music back 30 years? Oh my god I've heard it all.

THIS shit is wretched.

The "lyrics"? Holy shit, Kanye has single handedly set music back 30 years.
I haven't heard "verses" so bad since the early 80's.

Hyperbole much? Lyrics ain't all that but come on lol.

hoos30

Hyperbole much? Lyrics ain't all that but come on lol.

I pretty much love all of Kanye's work, but this crossed the line for me.

I listen to the Backspin channel on XM Radio a lot. I picked thirty years because the average rapper from 1983 on up would pretty much slaughter what Ye did on this album. It's actually a little disturbing to me. Thank god for streaming services because I would be PISSED if I had paid cash for this.

The lyrical highlight of "Yeesus" is Kanye rhyming the words "blouse", "house" and "mouth". Quite an achievement, there.

KRS-One said:
Many have claimed to attain levels in rhymin'
But when I listen to 'em I see they're only lyin'
They're tryin', but after some years if you ain't got it
Lay it down, put it down, find a way to try and stop it
Or change it, rearrange it, be a producer
Don't touch the microphone because you'll always be the loser

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I think Kanye's lyricism on his first two albums was pretty solid. Dude went downhill after that.
Kanye has ALWAYS been a mediocre rapper. That's why it was so hard for him to get signed in the first place. Jay didn't want to sign him.

"So much aunties we could have an auntie team"

What?

Nibel

Probably the most anti-mainstream album Kanye has ever released

And I love every fucking second of it - these beats give me POWER in the gym yo

SteeloDMZ

Banned
As a rapper, yeah, Kanye never had impressive flows, or multis, or was an amazing rhymer. However, his lyrics had meaning and some good content at one point (CD, LR), which is something totally devoid from his recent music.

KingKong

Kanye has ALWAYS been a mediocre rapper. That's why it was so hard for him to get signed in the first place. Jay didn't want to sign him.

"So much aunties we could have an auntie team"

What?

his lyrics are fine, it's the flow that's missing. voice too arguably

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
AOTY. Search your heart, you know it's true.

Ble$$ your poor opinions, but no.

Anyway, so is it agreed that the iTunes version of Yeezus is the definitive version? I noticed that the Spotify version is different to the iTunes version?

KingKong

anyway having listened to it a few more times, it's really growing on me. It's the kind of album that you need to listen to all the way through though, just a random track doesnt really work. Even something like Good Kid Maad City has more 'hits' on it

EloquentM

aka Mannny
his lyrics are fine, it's the flow that's missing. voice too arguably
Flow? His flow is pretty varied and it ranges from bad to average just like his lyrics. It's definitely not as grating as his song writing. I'm arguing that people are wrong in saying his lyrical quality has declined when it wasn't high to begin with.

Top Bottom