• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West - The Life of Pablo |OT2| I miss the OT1 Kanye.

Ross61

I saw him at the MSG show, it was seriously amazing, but this is still his WORST album

Not sure I'd put it in in the top 6 this year

Malibu
Lemonade
Freetown Sound
Blonde
Coloring Book
The Colour In Anything

Are all EASILY better albums
TLOP >>>>>>>>>> Graduation

And I'd personally put it over Coloring Book. I also like it more than Lemonade.

I saw him at the MSG show, it was seriously amazing, but this is still his WORST album

Not sure I'd put it in in the top 6 this year

Malibu
Lemonade
Freetown Sound
Blonde
Coloring Book
The Colour In Anything

Are all EASILY better albums
Only album on there I'd say it's better than imo is Coloring Book.
The rest I think are better but I don't like them more.

I still think TLOP is my AOTY so far.

views is #2

TLOP is probably going to end up on my top 10, only because I love a lot of the songs on the album despite the fact its likely second worst album due to the lack of a unifying theme or a core idea to anchor it. It's the first album of his that hasn't tried to experiment with his sound and it really is a let down in that regard. But "Famous", "Fade", "Ultra Light Beams", "No More Parties in LA", "Wolves", et al. are some of the best songs he's made yet.

sasliquid

TLOP is maybe my 2nd/3rd album of the year so far (after ANOHNIs Hopelessness and maybe The Avalanches Wildflower).

But tbf MBDTF and Yeezus were my 1st and 2nd fav albums of there respective years and this year isn't over yet (and I still haven't tried Lemonade)

Also I just found out there's a 33 1/3 book on MBDTF that I should really read

hughesta

Banned
TLOP is probably going to end up on my top 10, only because I love a lot of the songs on the album despite the fact its likely second worst album due to the lack of a unifying theme or a core idea to anchor it. It's the first album of his that hasn't tried to experiment with his sound and it really is a let down in that regard. But "Famous", "Fade", "Ultra Light Beams", "No More Parties in LA", "Wolves", et al. are some of the best songs he's made yet.
I completely disagree that TLOP lacks a unifying theme. ULB through Wolves are pretty clearly about a faithful man rising to fame and losing his way, and trying to regain some sense of faith, with Freestyle 4 representing his lowest point and FML being where he realizes he needs to try to turn his life around

TLOP ranks high for me. Even though there's not really a unifying theme I feel like it's like a sample plate of Kanye. Like all those GOOD Fridays tracks mashed into an album.

Godddamn I can't wait to see him. Trying to resist buying those ugly af shirts but will probably succumb to pressure

Cudi is trash but Travis Scott used him well for the first time in years (actually kanye uses him right too)

Just stick to humming and harmonizing

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Lmao Cudi why.

I guess we shouldn't expect anymore hooks for a while.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KidCudi/status/776101032191332352?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
b52.gif

Cudi is trash, the best shit he's done in years are the hook on FSTM PT 1 and that new Travis Scott song. Dude needs to stop being such an attention whore.

____

Mad as fuck right now. Bought 2 tickets to go to the Miami show this Friday, but my date found out she has to work, so I'm stuck lol.

SWKwong

Neo Member
It's pretty funny. With Yeezus, the more I listen to it, the more I like it. It's pretty much the opposite with TLOP.

Also went to the concert, I liked every song but TLOP songs didn't fit in well with the rest of the songs.

I completely disagree that TLOP lacks a unifying theme. ULB through Wolves are pretty clearly about a faithful man rising to fame and losing his way, and trying to regain some sense of faith, with Freestyle 4 representing his lowest point and FML being where he realizes he needs to try to turn his life around

I mean sure, that's the story, but Kanye's already covered the idea of the fall brought on by hubris and finding his way back i.e. MBDTF. And while TLOP has great songs, it can't help but feel Kanye just threw tracks on there he thought people would like without any care to a central thought or theme. "Yeezus" is structured around the ideas of anger, of fear, of this dark and swirling mix of emotions. MBDTF is structured around the ideas of fame, reputation, hubris and the fall. Hell, even Watch The Throne has a structure around opulence, elegance, maximalist versions of a genre that was seen as a way out of the hood. TLOP on the other hand feels like it's rooted in bliss and good vibes, but that's not as strong a center to base an album around.

And to be honest, I'm not even mad by it. Kanye never decieved his audience with ideas of some complex album; from the beginning, he said he wanted to make an album that was "cookout music", stuff leaning towards the popular, towards the accessible. And that's cool.

So Ye just responded by saying in the Tampa concert:

"Kid Cudi, don't ever put my name in your mouth, I birthed you"
Where's the lie tho.

Man gave Cudi his start, gave him the environment to do best in, and then Cudi decides to leave, fuck his own shit up, and then shit-talk the hand that fed him. Fuck outta here with that nonsense. My guess is Kanye either didn't dig Cudi's record or Cudi got dropped from TG16. My money's on the first.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
All the singing and harmonies Kanye does was copied from Cudi

And GOOD Music has been a garbage label for years
Riding for Cudi in 2016 brehs

Cudi calling out Kanye and Drake is literally the biggest move he could make for any attention seeking as his last album was an actual pile of shit that fell into the ether so no one even noticed how awful it was.

SWKwong

Neo Member

You didn't answer my question. I would Kanye was influenced by multiple collaborators as he keeps doing new projects.

Also why did he leave GOOD if it was garbage, wouldn't he fit right in?

Riding for Cudi in 2016 brehs

Cudi calling out Kanye and Drake is literally the biggest move he could make for any attention seeking as his last album was an actual pile of shit that fell into the ether so no one even noticed how awful it was.

He was the best part on TLOP and Travis album, I'm good with Cudi in 2016

Singing, no, harmonizing, maybe. Aside from "Runaway", I really can't remember another time Kanye does the whole autotuned humming thing.

And yes, to the last part. Kanye's good at signing at legends, but its active roster barring Pusha and Big Sean are fucking disappointments. There's no hype right now for HXLT, Kacy Hill, 070 Shake, CyHi, Tyga, Dbanj, Cyhi, Mos Def. Teyana only has hype because a) she starred in Fade and b) she's engaged to Iman Shumpert. GOOD should capitalize the hell out of this burst of popularity, but I doubt they will. Pusha's really trying to pull the company around and really show they have more than Kanye West, but I don't know if he can do that.

Damn, he really seems hurt. The rawness in his voice towards the end has to mean this isn't some bullshit publicity stunt, right?

I mean sure, that's the story, but Kanye's already covered the idea of the fall brought on by hubris and finding his way back i.e. MBDTF. And while TLOP has great songs, it can't help but feel Kanye just threw tracks on there he thought people would like without any care to a central thought or theme. "Yeezus" is structured around the ideas of anger, of fear, of this dark and swirling mix of emotions. MBDTF is structured around the ideas of fame, reputation, hubris and the fall. Hell, even Watch The Throne has a structure around opulence, elegance, maximalist versions of a genre that was seen as a way out of the hood. TLOP on the other hand feels like it's rooted in bliss and good vibes, but that's not as strong a center to base an album around.

And to be honest, I'm not even mad by it. Kanye never decieved his audience with ideas of some complex album; from the beginning, he said he wanted to make an album that was "cookout music", stuff leaning towards the popular, towards the accessible. And that's cool.

Where's the lie tho.

Man gave Cudi his start, gave him the environment to do best in, and then Cudi decides to leave, fuck his own shit up, and then shit-talk the hand that fed him. Fuck outta here with that nonsense. My guess is Kanye either didn't dig Cudi's record or Cudi got dropped from TG16. My money's on the first.
I thought TLOP was really about ultra light beams,or put in a different way, general feelings and waves.
From the spiritual nature of the first track, to the "I wanna wake up with you" in track two, to panda in track three, to the young and death mantra in Famous as well as the Swizz ad-lib outdo, the highlights in highlights, Waves really encompasses this, and then Fade as the final track.

Shit...man i wish i could been there.

I was there. That shit was highly entertaining.

Amazing, incredible performance as well, one of the best concerts I've ever been to. No opener, just an incredible 2 hour set with no downtime. This, and a very strange yet beautiful monologue about his creative process during the outro to Runaway were the only moments where Kanye wasn't performing a song. I didn't realize Kanye could move like that. Dude really gets the crowd going.

PartyChan

i was at the tampa show.

upon initial reaction, i thought the show was very good. i kept comparing to the yeezus tour, which i shouldnt but it's the next day now and all i keep doing is going back to all the pictures and videos i took from last night. so ive upgraded it to amazing.

such a simple concept, but pulled off so well. a sight it was just to see a wave of people on the floor flowing him underneath the stage. ive never seen so much moshing at a rap show lol. kept getting blasted by the air from the subwoofers all night. the bass melted my brain in a good way.

thanks to those that replied to my earlier question regarding when the show started.

ticket said 8pm. i got to the venue around 9pm. he did not go on til about 1020pm. plenty of time to buy merch and booze. LONG lines for everything.

Top Bottom