• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katawa Shoujo |OT| (VN, Free, Waifus, etc)

cj_iwakura

I'm not sure I have it in me to keep playing this.

It hits a little too close to home, because I've known people who suffer from some of these ailments.

just finished the festival( i guess i'm on lily route ATM )... i started this and wasn't expecting such writing ...it's entertaining..

So far it's great .. good stuff ...

Jintor

Shizune's route is... different. I liked it, I think, but it also gets very complex - in a different way to, say, Rin's. Where Hanako's route is straightforward and a little boring, and Emi's is straightforward but extremely well-written, and Rin's is complex but still between two people only, Shizune's is far more like teen drama back when, you know, you were a teen.

The main thing I feel that KS lacks is interplay between the various characters aside from their designated 'partner'. There's a bit of Lily/Shizune rivalry and whatnot, but for the most part nobody else seems to poke their heads into anybody else's business. Which makes a certain degree of sense, but leaves me feeling a bit lost, since I (as a player) have come to know all these other characters and it seems a shame not to interact with them very much outside of their own routes.

The main thing I feel that KS lacks is interplay between the various characters aside from their designated 'partner'. There's a bit of Lily/Shizune rivalry and whatnot, but for the most part nobody else seems to poke their heads into anybody else's business. Which makes a certain degree of sense, but leaves me feeling a bit lost, since I (as a player) have come to know all these other characters and it seems a shame not to interact with them very much outside of their own routes.

I've only done Emi, Hanoka and have just hit act 3 Rin, I think for Hanoka and Rin this is fairly understandable they don't exactly have the most social personalties, infact they are quite of anti social you could say. Shizune and Misha seem to stick there nose into the MC's business to varying degrees depending on the routes but you are right that there hasn't been much outside of that. There are mentions of how Emi is quite freindly with everyone but apart from some talk about the track captian theres no real follow up on that to make it feel part of the story.

I think what sticks out more is there really isn't any other interaction between the MC and students outside the girls that are set up for the stories and Kenji's comic relief. So far the girl who is missing a hand in Hanokas path is the only one that I think the MC has said more than one sentance to.

The scenario seems pretty implausible and kinda dumb. Why is it a boarding school specifically for the disabled? What qualifies as being disabled? What is the purpose of such a school, and why does the main character who only has a heart defect need to attend it? Why is a burn victim considered a "disability" in this scenario? Are these questions answered in the game? Or is it just bad writing?

There are schools specifically for the deaf in real life (my sister attended one). The concept of the school in the game is that it has both specially trained teachers and an on-site 24/7 medical staff to see to the needs of the student body that a normal school wouldn't.
The main character has a bit more than a heart condition, he has a heart condition that could drop him in his tracks at any time if he over does it. He was sent to this school because of the on-site medical care.
The burn victim has scars that cover nearly 50% of her body and is having extreme difficulty adjusting emotionally. The story is actually pretty well written for where it was spawned from.

Finished Emi's route - starting on Lily's route now. I think I'll play through all of them at some point.

So this is the first VN I've tried and I like it.

Any other good PC VNs that are a) in English and b) Free?

CSX

Finished Lilly's route. Starting Emi's

So far so good. Really high production values for a free game goddamm

Arol

I think some of the interactions with other students are sometimes implied or it's as if they wanted to add them in with small hints and tidbits dropped at times, at least that is the impression I get after going through all the routes. But just by the responses everyone is giving it seems like no one even thought this game would be released so they might have just concentrated on the MC and whatever route he was on.

I think my main complaint would be of Hisao due to the fact I feel he is a bit slow on the intake and I don't really rationalize the situations the same way he does at times. I suppose that's because he's still in High School so it makes sense and I'm simply imparting my rose-tinted perceptions of when I was in High School on him since it's been a while.

That being said, just finished Rin's storyline and as someone mentioned it is easy to get the bad end. Had to go back and get the good end with different choices. I think it's also the one that presents the most choices apart from Act 1. Might go through it once more.

I'm wondering how they went through the writing process and how much they wanted certain plots and character consistencies to stay true throughout. On reflection I kinda feel they might of dropped the ball at times in certain routes.

This was great though, glad it was free since I was able to try it out but I wouldn't of minded paying something to help aid the devs. Although I suppose these type of games don't really get Steam releases.

Instro

So I'm in Act 3 of the Rin route. Just getting on her route was rather tricky,
I ended up falling off the roof a few times
but it seems like a neat storyline so far. A lot more decision points in this route so far, which is nice.

Arol

Sorry if this was asked before but does Miki have a route? I never encountered her in Act 1.

Purple haired girl missing a part of her left arm?

No, but according to earlier posts in this thread they were going to make a route for her as well, which I suppose her cameo in Hanako's route would of made more sense.

CSX

Got a question about Emi's route

For her good ending, is there a scene after the credits? Just finished her route and was expecting one but didnt get any.

marcurius

Sooo, I went through Hanakos story now. Didn't really have anyone in mind as I started playing but I couldn't not go for her as I felt so sorry for her sitting all alone... I enjoyed it quite a bit, a bit sappy maybe but that's a guilty pleasure of mine. Got the good ending which I thought was really cute, wouldn't have minded it to continue all the way through graduation though.

I really wish they had abstained from the including the adult scene though. The story didn't need it at all, it felt shoehorned and forced I feel. Nor were they hot, so I just don't see the point I guess.

Same way I felt about that Saya no Uta(?) game, actually, which is the only other VN I've played.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Finished Shizune's route last night, really liked how it ended. The bad ending gets...pretty nuts. I'm doing Lily's now, from what I'm reading here I'll do Rin last because everyone seems to like it.

Purple haired girl missing a part of her left arm?

No, but according to earlier posts in this thread they were going to make a route for her as well, which I suppose her cameo in Hanako's route would of made more sense.

That's too bad. Would of been nice if she had her own route.

Wiktor

. We don't really want to feel special or different. Some people want to stand out. I feel like most disabled folks want to blend in more than anything.

Can you see how a game like this isn't exactly conducive towards that?

Ermm..isn't this eroge actually conductive towards exactly that? I mean, there are eroges concentrating on every imaginble group of people. So, how making disabled people th one sole exception count as "not feeling special?"

BluWacky

Ermm..isn't this eroge actually conductive towards exactly that? I mean, there are eroges concentrating on every imaginble group of people. So, how making disabled people th one sole exception count as "not feeling special?"

Are the girls fetishised because of their disabilities? Are they treated as people beyond that?

I think the "problem" would be different if the game wasn't specifically about screwing girls with disabilities and nothing else. If there were disabled characters in a normal eroge that would be a different story, perhaps.

Jintor

I've only done Emi, Hanoka and have just hit act 3 Rin, I think for Hanoka and Rin this is fairly understandable they don't exactly have the most social personalties, infact they are quite of anti social you could say. Shizune and Misha seem to stick there nose into the MC's business to varying degrees depending on the routes but you are right that there hasn't been much outside of that. There are mentions of how Emi is quite freindly with everyone but apart from some talk about the track captian theres no real follow up on that to make it feel part of the story.

I think what sticks out more is there really isn't any other interaction between the MC and students outside the girls that are set up for the stories and Kenji's comic relief. So far the girl who is missing a hand in Hanokas path is the only one that I think the MC has said more than one sentance to.

Yeah, it's mainly the MC I'm referring to. It becomes painfully clear in Shizune's route just how little he interacts with anybody who isn't the characters of the path.

Actually, I think maybe the best path in this regard might have been Emi.

Reversed

8clm7.png

He, he... Finished act 1. I really liked that mural:
http://i.imgur.com/Alcpk.jpg

Arol

Can anyone tell me what the scene between Home Field Advantage and No Recovery is in Act 1? If you remember how to get to it even better.

I was looking at the Extras -> Library when I saw that I was somehow missing that. I'm no completionist by any stretch of the imagination but I'm mostly annoyed I've somehow missed it even after having done Act 1 so many times. Kinda curious as to what it is.

Also the music is pretty awesome, I wish you could download it.

Can anyone tell me what the scene between Home Field Advantage and No Recovery is in Act 1? If you remember how to get to it even better.

I was looking at the Extras -> Library when I saw that I was somehow missing that. I'm no completionist by any stretch of the imagination but I'm mostly annoyed I've somehow missed it even after having done Act 1 so many times. Kinda curious as to what it is.

Also the music is pretty awesome, I wish you could download it.

I think I know the scene you're talking about. You need to push Hisao when he runs with Emi, and join the student council.

Arol

I think I know the scene you're talking about. You need to push Hisao when he runs with Emi, and join the student council.

Cool, thanks, I got it now. A sort of interesting scene depending on the choice you make.

Not sure how that path never quite occurred to me before.

Cool, thanks, I got it now. A sort of interesting scene depending on the choice you make.

Not sure how that path never quite occurred to me before.

Its pretty much the hardest scene in Act 1 to get. Its slightly unintuitive because it requires you to do the stuff to get on two paths.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Are the girls fetishised because of their disabilities? Are they treated as people beyond that?
i don't think Rins disability ever came up as an issue in her entire story. her arc is all emotional/social stuff, if it wasn't the topic of the game you'd have forgotten about her arms by act 3.

Arol

Its pretty much the hardest scene in Act 1 to get. Its slightly unintuitive because it requires you to do the stuff to get on two paths.

Yeah thanks. You explained it in my mind before I could. Especially since once I figured out how to get on the routes I basically just had a 1 track mind to make sure I didn't veer from it.

Didn't really occur to me to try different routes at the same time, well, at least not on purpose anyways.

And yeah as Pandaman mentioned, if it were just text without any visualization, I would of probably forgotten Rin was missing limbs. Thought I was the only one tbh.

Did the Hanako route. Really surprised by the ending,
wasn't as sugary sweet as I expected, and was genuinely good.

I'm assuming it was the "Good" route.

Hrm, guess I'll give this a shot. Never played a traditional VN before. Think I'll answer how I would irl, bad ends here I come!

Makoto

I am a connoisseur of plain things so hearing the MC whine about the school's normality makes Act 1 a chore to me. I can't wait to finish it and get down to the characters (narratively speaking) because the protagonist makes me want to punch a wall.

I am a connoisseur of plain things so hearing the MC whine about the school's normality makes Act 1 a chore to me. I can't wait to finish it and get down to the characters (narratively speaking) because the protagonist makes me want to punch a wall.

Whine?

I don't think he was whining. More like expressing shock that despite the "oddness" of the school, it was pretty normal.

Also, can nobody remember his name? It's Hisao.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Whine?

I don't think he was whining. More like expressing shock that despite the "oddness" of the school, it was pretty normal.

Also, can nobody remember his name? It's Hisao.

Nobody ever WANTS to remember his name. And sometimes for good reason. On at least 2 out of the 3 routes I've finished, Hisao was kind of a whiny bitch. :p

notworksafe

I can't get this game to run at fullscreen on my Macbook Pro. Any other Mac users having this problem?

Other than that, the game is good so far. Just finished Act 1.

Top Bottom