• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katawa Shoujo |OT| (VN, Free, Waifus, etc)

Jintor

Yeah, no kidding. I've always realized that of this genre though. The verbosity of the medium allows for them to develop and explore themes that other games would merely gloss over, it can definitely make for some emotionally affecting stuff.

Hah, the first thing I thought of when considering a game that's even managed to touch something of that intense emotional calibur was Planescape Torment, which - now that I come to think about it - was half visual novel already in the sheer amount of writing it had.

Alright, finished all the routes. 100% complete! (edit: figured out how to get the last image)

I think of all the routes, I liked Hanako's and Lilly's routes the most. Probably a slight tilt on Hanako given it is something I can somewhat relate to on my end.

There were a few standout music tracks which did catch my attention, the Hanako cutscene is pretty epic also.

Didn't like Rin's route too much compared to the others.

Kenji needs his own game.

Jintor

I guess the routes are so intensely personal it's probably impossible to depict an objective 'best' one. Which is pretty awesome, really.

StayDead

I guess the routes are so intensely personal it's probably impossible to depict an objective 'best' one. Which is pretty awesome, really.

I guess it's down to what character you like the most makes one route the best. I mean, Shizune is my favourite character so I really love her route. The ending was good if not a little dissapointing because
although I really loved the picture at the end, it sort of sucked that school was over and there was no talk if they'd continue their relationship or not :/

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Just finished Rin's route. I still have a lingering sadness from it. This game was a lot better than I thought it would be.

Are the other routes as good as hers? If not I might just call the game finished.
Yes, they tend to be, but to be frank, you probably won't enjoy them as much as Lilly's. Really, the general rule seems to be that the first route you take will frame the experience for the rest of the game, should you pursue

Indeed, I've already had a pretty significant internet argument over Emi vs. Hanako (
That borderline rape in the Hanako route just ended up with me feeling bad, tbh
), and we just weren't able to move the other even an inch. I suppose it's just because we were so deeply imprinted with the FIRST GIRL's influence. This game is harsh shit, man...

100%'ed it. Went through the routes based on how awesome I expected them to be, finishing with the best, so Emi --> Lilly --> Rin --> Shizune --> Hanako. Turns out I was basically right, except for Shizune's which was pretty bad with no clear direction or any real climax. Hanako is clearly the true route.
I overpowered the part of me that finds her completely HHNNNGGH and got the good ending, though the game still sent me on an emotional rollercoaster before the end where I had no idea which way things were going to go.

Also I noticed a thread on the official forums that has the route popularity as Lilly (59) > Hanako (55) > Rin (31) > Emi (25) > Shizune (3 lol)

/XX/

I've been jumping in and out of the thread as I play (completed Emi and Lilly so far) and I'm just wondering if anyone's caught this yet, or if I missed it: http://katawa-shoujo.com/secret/paritytime/
That is a good one! It all commenced around mid-December with an image by KimiSpice that was made into the typical seizure-inducing .GIF (http://shimmie.katawa-shoujo.com/post/view/2339), and naturally suggestions then came leading to another obligatory 'SLAM remix' (http://shimmie.katawa-shoujo.com/post/view/2343), and what remains is one of the most surprising themes used in a sticky mega-thread on 4Chan's /a/.

Jintor

fanart is coming online! mmmmirrraaaaaaa

tumblr_lxh16wjoEf1qewlzgo1_r2_500.jpg

redlemon

So I finished Hanako's route.

I have to say I loved the way it slapped the idea of "moe" in the face. Hanako is this poor traumatized girl shy and gets nervous around people. Many, many, many people reacted to her with an "awwww I just want to hug her and protect her forever" attitude.

Hanako doesn't like that. She knows she has problems, she's trying to deal with them. But people sheltering her and treating her like a scared little girl about to break pisses her off. The bad ending to eloquently (and harshly) demonstrated this. You get this bad end by making choices that aim to "protect" her.

It's awesome and quite possibly the best way to deal with her ever. In stark contrast to other similar characters in anime and stuff.

Just beat her route and I wholeheartedly agree with this. It also helped for me to explain her progression in Lily's route too.
With MC and Lilly focusing on each other it gives her a little breathing space to tackle people on her own terms.

But yeah, with all the adoration she got prior to release I think it was the best way they could've done her route. One of the bad ends really hammers it home too.

Jintor

Thoes gifs are amazing

I still think that for Hanako's route
the bad end should have been integrated directly into the story entirely, instead of just being left as a bad end. It feels like one of those things it should be possible to recover from. I suppose that the reason it's the bad end though is to jolt you to awareness about what the fuck are you doing white knight though.

Man, the more I think about her route, the more I like it.

Still doesn't touch Rin though.

Soma

so i cringed at the premise of this game at first. i even attempted to download it but couldn't bring myself to do it.

eventually after reading more feedback and even got recommended by one of my friends (who's a girl mind you) i just said "fuck it" and downloaded it.

next thing i know is that i somehow got onto the Emi route and last night i actually finished it and got the good ending. i really enjoyed it and the writing was pretty solid I thought. i started Shizune's route (she's really the only other one i was interested in. Lilly is nice too though) today and so far i'm a little disappointed i guess since it does feel a bit disjointed in comparison. i'm hoping the ending is at least fulfilling.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Just finished Lily's good ending. Pack it up guys, nothing can top they way that ended, shit was intense.

Only Rin and Shizunue left.

Valentus

We need an expansion pack with Misha's route, Miki's route, The Librarian's route, and what the hell, Emi's Mother Route too.

Jintor

I can foresee a terrible week or so where I get hardcore into literary analysis of all the routes

Real life, why you interfere with my bullshit

So I beat Hanako's route last night.

Man that scene in the park at the end hurt hard. Especially the way she's like "I let you have sex with me because I thought you'd finally be able to look at me as not something just to be protected" UGGGHHHH. But then that last kiss at the end in front of the bakery was just so touching. I like that the game doesn't pretend that everything is going to be hunky dory from now on. There's still stuff to work through but they'll do it together

In act 2 of Shizune's route now. Not sure where this is gonna go.

notworksafe

Yes, they tend to be, but to be frank, you probably won't enjoy them as much as Lilly's. Really, the general rule seems to be that the first route you take will frame the experience for the rest of the game, should you pursue
Yeah I really enjoyed Rin's route, even though it was a tough one. I've decided to continue playing, this time focusing on Lilly, as I figured her story would be very different.

I'm in Act II and just found out
she is Shizune's cousin.
Wasn't expecting that. The conversations are much more pleasant than Rin's and I'm enjoying this story so far. Seems like the opposite of Rin's as Lilly is actually understandable and somewhat open.

I have had hardly any time to play this. Feels like I'm being left behind.

Going to try and finish Hanako's route tomorrow though, then I'll see where I can go from there.

KPJZKC

Really glad I took the time to play through this (Emi's good route)...downside is I felt like a man of stone due to a lack of "feels", but I'm pretty sure that's due in part to a spoiler in that /v/ reaction picture. Writing (and music) is excellent, characters are some of the most three dimensional of any VN (or any videogame, really) I have come across.

I've only scratched the surface (5%, start of the third day), but I'm really enjoying it so far. The art has been a little hit-or-miss, but overall it's okay.

Favorite part of the game so far has been Kenji. His music and writing cracks me up, and I hope he stays a regular in the rest of the game.

Soma

Finished Shizune's route. It was okay just disappointed that the relationship with her felt more in the background than in the rest of the events going on.
At the end, she pretty much ignores the "I Love You" ;_;

I dunno, it wasn't bad but I think i'm just a bit unsatisfied with it and I'm afraid to touch the "bad" ending. I probably went into it with a different mindset than I should have since i did it almost directly after finishing Emi's route which I thought was better, imo. I think I might do the Lilly route some other time since I'm not really interested in the others.

Just hit act 4 of Shizune's route and I'm not really feeling it so much.

I decided to have sex with Misha just to see where things would lead, kind of assuming it'd be a bad end. I'm surprised to find that I'm still chugging along right now. Really unsure of where this is going and I feel like Hisao and Shizune haven't really bonded much, despite being in a relationship. Even with Emi, when she was keeping him at a distance, they at least still felt like a couple. Hisao and Shizune still haven't even talked about their whole sexual encounter. I find myself connecting with Misha much more actually. For all I know though, having sex with her still could lead to the bad end. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Arol

Just hit act 4 of Shizune's route and I'm not really feeling it so much.

I decided to have sex with Misha just to see where things would lead, kind of assuming it'd be a bad end. I'm surprised to find that I'm still chugging along right now. Really unsure of where this is going and I feel like Hisao and Shizune haven't really bonded much, despite being in a relationship. Even with Emi, when she was keeping him at a distance, they at least still felt like a couple. Hisao and Shizune still haven't even talked about their whole sexual encounter. I find myself connecting with Misha much more actually. For all I know though, having sex with her still could lead to the bad end. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

I realize you're not finished yet but when you do:

The good ending is much better than the bad ending, (goes without saying I suppose), which is the path you essentially get on when deciding to sleep with Misha, regardless of your relationship status with Shizune as rocky or undefined. Even if you connect more with Misha, you essentially slept with her in a moment of weakness, while she is still essentially in love with Shizune and didn't really want to.

That being said, while I did lol @ the DLC page, I was surprised there isn't a path for Misha.

Jintor

It's because Shizune's path
is really shared between the three of you, it's a stealth Misha path as well

I feel a lot better about her after completing that path, to be honest. I never found her annoying, but I definitely came into a greater appreciation of her character after that route.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I feel a lot better about her after completing that path, to be honest. I never found her annoying, but I definitely came into a greater appreciation of her character after that route.

Same here. It worked really well imo, and I love the picture you get at the end of her good path.

Arol

Yeah I know :(

Just felt their weren't enough interactions with Misha, personal preference and all. Bush-Cheney 2004!

I realize you're not finished yet but when you do:

The good ending is much better than the bad ending, (goes without saying I suppose), which is the path you essentially get on when deciding to sleep with Misha, regardless of your relationship status with Shizune as rocky or undefined. Even if you connect more with Misha, you essentially slept with her in a moment of weakness, while she is still essentially in love with Shizune and didn't really want to.

That being said, while I did lol @ the DLC page, I was surprised there isn't a path for Misha.

So I am on my way to the bad end then? Cause it just feels like all the characters are floating in space, so much tension and everyone is so disconnected from one another. Makes me feel way sadder than I was expecting

Arol

So I am on my way to the bad end then? Cause it just feels like all the characters are floating in space, so much tension and everyone is so disconnected from one another. Makes me feel way sadder than I was expecting

Well I thought you'd read it after you finished :p

Don't feel dissuaded by anything I said. Not sure how others feel but out of all the bad endings I definitely think this is the best one, if that somehow makes sense.

notworksafe

I can't fucking get Rin's theme out of my head! Goddamnit! That piano, so jazzy!

They changed her theme from the one in the Act 1 demo. It was much less lively before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=453SY3PcwQI

I sort of enjoy the old version more, but both have their charms.

Finished Lilly's good path. I was really bummed near the end, but
Lilly showing back up
made me smile. I feel better after this route than I did with Rin's. It's a much more hopeful ending. It's hard to say which I prefer. I guess I liked the "normalness" of Lilly's path, but still liked the roller coaster of Rin's.

Very interesting to me that this game evokes so much emotion without any fancy graphics or even voicework. It's impressive. Too bad the sex will stop this game from getting any real coverage anywhere.

Lilly's path is just so romantic.

Yep. This nails exactly what I was thinking. It's refreshing after Rin's path.

Now...who's next? Hmm...

notworksafe

Should've used both tbh, I can think of a few scenes where this would have been maaaaaad

Yeah. When the new version of her theme came up I had to go to YouTube to make sure I wasn't crazy about it being changed. The slower paced one would have been nice in some of the calmer moment. Either way, I still think Parity (both versions) is the best song in the game.

That being said, I've caught myself humming Another Day at various times as well.

falconzss

So I beat Hanako's route last night.

Man that scene in the park at the end hurt hard. Especially the way she's like "I let you have sex with me because I thought you'd finally be able to look at me as not something just to be protected" UGGGHHHH. But then that last kiss at the end in front of the bakery was just so touching. I like that the game doesn't pretend that everything is going to be hunky dory from now on. There's still stuff to work through but they'll do it together

In act 2 of Shizune's route now. Not sure where this is gonna go.

Finished Hanako's route a few minutes ago and had the same reaction. My jaw dropped when this line came up. It's quite a fitting ending, given her personality, in my opinion. I'm still shocked how hooked I am on this. Feeling like a teenage girl on an emotional rollercoaster -_-"

Help me out guys: Rin's or Shizune's route?

Jintor

This. I'm actually writing up some news pieces right now while chilling to Ah Eh I Oh You.

Catherine was the last soundtrack that I used extensively while getting some projects done.

Oh my god, listen to this

I hope some crazy fan out there reverse engineers all the music and plays it live. That would be amazing.

Finished Hanako's route a few minutes ago and had the same reaction. My jaw dropped when this line came up. It's quite a fitting ending, given her personality, in my opinion. I'm still shocked how hooked I am on this. Feeling like a teenage girl on an emotional rollercoaster -_-"

Help me out guys: Rin's or Shizune's route?

I kind of feel you should always save Rin's for last, but that might just be 'first girl syndrome' talking - the first path you take always colours the rest.

Oh my god, listen to this

I hope some crazy fan out there reverse engineers all the music and plays it live. That would be amazing.

I kind of feel you should always save Rin's for last, but that might just be 'first girl syndrome' talking - the first path you take always colours the rest.

I did Emi's first and have done Hankoka, Rin and most of Shizune since and I think Rin's should be left to last out of those. It's alot more to take in than the others and the payoff on the good end is so good. I think you should do the bad ends aswell they are pretty emotional i felt.

Top Bottom