• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kentucky hates Obamacare, but don't hate Kynect (which is Obamacare).

Status
Not open for further replies.
5 days in Kentucky: Health care enrollment up; just don’t say ‘Obamacare’

headlineImage.adapt.1460.high.1412789540178.jpg

This is the second in a five-part series, “Fed up in Kentucky,” exploring how political issues are playing out in personal ways in the Bluegrass State this election season.

Frank Dixon is only 52, but his body is damaged from decades working as a mechanic in the mining industry. His back hurts from damage sustained in a fall from a bulldozer at work years ago. He has two rotator cuff tears that trouble his shoulder and gets cortisone injections in his knees to keep pain at bay.

“There’s mornings, days I can’t hardly get up,” he said, easing into a chair in his living room. But say the word “Obamacare,” and Dixon bristles — even though he’s covered by it.

It’s a feeling he and other Kentucky voters will take to the ballot box in four weeks, when views about the Affordable Care Act help shape the tight Senate race between Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., and Democrat Alison Lundergan Grimes.

The Affordable Care Act, known as “Obamacare,” is a lightning rod in Kentucky, even though the state had one of the most successful rollouts in the nation. Kentucky is the only Southern state to have both set up its own exchange and expand Medicaid. Nearly a year later, more than half a million residents have gotten coverage — making Kentucky a state with one of the largest drops in the number of uninsured, second only to Arkansas.

Like so many others in eastern Kentucky’s mining industry, Dixon lost his job in 2012. A combination of declining production, competition from cheaper coal fields and natural gas, and environmental regulation have slashed local jobs.

When he was working, he earned a comfortable $90,000 to $97,000 a year.

“Kind of ashamed to say it, but now I’m on $300 a month food stamps,” he said.

Losing work meant losing health coverage. He and his 19-year-old son were uninsured for a year. Dixon’s younger son was in high school, so he received state coverage, but the single father worried about not having a safety net for his older son and himself.

Then the Affordable Care Act started, and Kentucky set up its own insurance exchange, called Kynect. Dixon signed up and qualified for a Medicaid plan. Once he was insured, he said, the first thing he did was get his back checked out.

But when asked if he supports “Obamacare,” Dixon lets out a long sigh and fidgets in his chair. “I don't know how to answer that,” he said. “Some things are left unsaid.”

An NBC/Marist poll conducted in May found 57 percent of Kentuckians surveyed dislike “Obamacare.” But when asked about Kynect, only 22 percent disapproved.

And yet they’re basically the same thing.

“‘Obamacare” has been demonized by its opponents,” said Al Cross, a journalism professor at the University of Kentucky. “And it’s easy to demonize because the first three syllables of the word are a word that most Kentuckians don't like.”

A September CNN/ORC poll shows 65 percent of registered Kentucky voters disapprove of President Barack Obama.

Dr. Sharon Colton works in Evarts, Kentucky, at the Clover Fork Clinic, which treats about 70 patients a day. She said many of her patients don’t realize that Kynect is “Obamacare.”

“I think some of them are just happy to have insurance, and however they got it, you know they’re happy about it,” she said. “They don't look at the politics.”

“I do recall at least one patient who said, ‘Well I don't want it, even if it is free,’” she added, “because he didn’t like President Obama.”

It doesn’t help that in the battle for U.S. Senate, neither major candidate is taking time to explain the health care law. Incumbent Mitch McConnell blasts “Obamacare” and has promised to repeal it, “root and branch.” But he claims Kentuckians will be able to keep Kynect, a complication he hasn’t been able to explain.

“Democrats think [the Affordable Care Act] is a good issue to use against McConnell because he really hasn't explained how you repeal ‘Obamacare’ and still keep the coverage for 521,000 people who’ve got it under the state insurance exchange that was created under ‘Obamacare,’” Cross said.

But Grimes isn’t exactly embracing “Obamacare.” The Democrat says she’ll work to fix it. Professor Al Cross says that for Grimes to run on a platform of supporting the law is risky but could pay off. “I hope they do engage on the issue of health care because this state in many ways is the least healthy state in the country,” he added.

Kentucky ranks worst in cancer deaths and smoking rates. It’s in the bottom 10 states for obesity, deaths from heart disease and poor mental health. Mining injuries are also common.

“Men that are involved in things like rock falls and very, very serious mining accidents, and if they are not killed, they often have devastating injuries,” Colton said. “They’re disabled for the rest of their lives.”

With Kynect, more people are able to pay for their care, and some new patients are seeing a doctor for the first time in years. Colton says it helps transport rural patients to doctor’s appointments and is promoting crucial preventive care.

But it hasn’t been without challenges. She said issues and delays tied to preauthorization are common.

Dixon’s doctor recommended he see a surgeon after an MRI indicated an operation might help alleviate his pain. Four months later, he’s still waiting for approval from Medicaid. In the meantime, he’s getting cortisone injections in his back to help manage the pain, and he and his doctor’s office keep calling his insurance company.

“I’ve hit a stone wall. Why? Somebody tell me why I can’t go further. Explain that to me,” he said. “I carry the card around, but how good is it?”

Dixon is disillusioned with politics, including the upcoming Senate race. He doesn’t feel like national politicians — especially the commander in chief — are listening to eastern Kentucky’s plight.

“I would like for him to come down here — the president — come down here and sit down and talk, just like we’re talking,” he said. “I wouldn’t be a smart-aleck. I wouldn't be hateful. Man, just listen. Just look and see.”

To view the “Fed up in Kentucky” series, tune in to “Al Jazeera America News” with John Seigenthaler this Mon. to Fri. at 8 p.m. Eastern time.
Basically people think Obamacare is something entirely different than state run exchanges that cover them. The amount of misinformation from GOP is mindblowing and sadly will cause us to lose elections. You wont see an article like this in CNN.

I will never get over how fucking stupid it is that people get so hung up on something that is ultimately good for them, just because of the buzzword name pushed by the media/politicians to demonize it.

Jooney

This is what happens when you choose to run away from your own policy successes. A vacuum is created where the other parties FUD can come in and define the narrative.

The fact that Grimes has run away from this from her campaign is just sad.

Your title is incredibly misleading/outright lie/(ironic?). According to your article, more people have a favorable impression of Obamacare in Kentucky than Kynect.

I'm sure a mod will be along soon to clean it up.

Xe4

Banned
Your title is incredibly misleading/outright lie/(ironic?). According to your article, more people have a favorable impression of Obamacare in Kentucky than Kynect.

What? No it's not...

Your spin is a much worse lie. The favorables of the two are approximately even. However the unfavorable of Obamacare is huge whereas the unfavorable is low for Kynect.

Overall, do you have a favorable or an unfavorable impression of Obamacare?
Favorable
Unfavorable
Never heard
<1
Unsure
Total
RESIDENTS
May 2014
Favorable
Unfavorable
Never heard
<1
Unsure
Total

Overall, do you have a favorable or an unfavorable impression of Kynect?
REGISTERED VOTERS
May 2014
Favorable
Unfavorable
Never heard
Unsure
Total
RESIDENTS
May 2014
Favorable
Unfavorable
Never heard
Unsure
Total

JCX

It's crazy how these things work. I took an electoral politics course where the professor emphasized how we mostly use heuristics to decide who to vote for rather than thorough investigation.

ISOM

This is what happens when you choose to run away from your own policy successes. A vacuum is created where the other parties FUD can come in and define the narrative.

The fact that Grimes has run away from this from her campaign is just sad.

Obama never ran away from the ACA, he even embraced the obamacare name. The GOP is just great at negative propaganda and the average GOP voter are fools for believing everything they hear about it.

PBalfredo

I really want to know what the hell the democrats are doing allowing the republicans to control the conversation and the spin to the degree that shit like this is a common occurrence?

Averon

Why is this a surprise? The GOP is very, very good at getting people to vote against their best interests.

Jooney

Obama never ran away from the ACA, he even embraced the obamacare name. The GOP is just great at negative propaganda and the average GOP voter are fools for believing everything they hear about it.

I'm not talking about Obama. I'm talking about his party.

Your spin is a much worse lie. The favorables of the two are approximately even. However the unfavorable of Obamacare is huge whereas not very big for Kynect.
Because people are uneducated on it. The people are more likely to be unfavorable towards the topic once they know about it if they hate a similar one. His title is a legitimate lie, as far as we can tell. There's no opinion supporting they love it when obamacare is seen as more favorable.

see5harp

Instead of reporting on how dumb these people are, the reporters should just tell these idiots to their own faces right there on the spot.

Because people are uneducated on it. The people are more likely to be unfavorable towards the topic once they know about it if they hate a similar one. His title is a legitimate lie, as far as we can tell. There's no opinion supporting they love it when obamacare is seen as more favorable.

No, there was a choice for 'never heard of' which weeded out the uneducated.

Those familiar with Kynect were more favorable than unfavorable. However, they were unfavorable to Obamacare. I think we all know the reason why.

You continue to lie.

Opiate

Where's your evidence for this? I see obamacare being less favorable. Where are you seeing that it's more favorable?

The poll from the article op posted

The poll in the article says Kynect is 2x more popular than Obamacare is in Kentucky. That supports the OP. I'm asking if you have evidence which supports your position, not his position.

You mean the one you clearly didn't read?

57% disapprove of Obamacare while only 22% disapprove of Kynect. It has been posted multiple times but I feel like people must be misreading it or something.
It says 33% were favorable of Obamacare. 29% were in favorable of Kynect. It's either extremely misleading title or an outright lie since there's nothing to support they "love" it. Your choice on what you want to call it.

You keep trotting that out but you don't provide any proof whatsoever.

He is nitpicking a little detail in a disingenuous manner.

The subject line should read "Kentucky hates Obamacare, but don't hate Kynect (which is Obamacare). GOP FUD has worked."

He is technically correct but just putting his own completely misleading spin on the situation.

Edit: Thanks mod who corrected the subject line!

An NBC/Marist poll conducted in May found 57 percent of Kentuckians surveyed dislike “Obamacare.” But when asked about Kynect, only 22 percent disapproved.

And yet they’re basically the same thing.

Kinda wish AJA hadn't added the word "basically."

Because they ARE the same thing.

thefro

Kentucky has a Democratic governor and Kynect is basically a model state-run exchange. They did a great job with it by all reports. Also they have a lot of areas where the law is badly, badly needed with as impoverished as the Appalachian areas of Kentucky are.

Will be hilarious if those people come out and vote and dump Mitch McConnell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom