• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kentucky hates Obamacare, but don't hate Kynect (which is Obamacare).

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISOM

I'm not talking about Obama. I'm talking about his party.

Once again it's an effect of the GOP's negative propaganda. They can't help but run away when democrats in red states are surrounded by voters who listen to fox news and the like.

It says 33% were favorable of Obamacare. 29% were in favorable of Kynect. It's either extremely misleading title or an outright lie since there's nothing to support they "love" it. Your choice on what you want to call it.

What you are pushing is extremely misleading whereas the title is just slightly misworded.

Opiate

It says 33% were favorable of Obamacare. 29% were in favorable of Kynect. It's either extremely misleading title or an outright lie since there's nothing to support they "love" it. Your choice on what you want to call it.

Ah, I see. That's fine. This is a consequence of providing a "no opinion" option in polling.

The general thrust of the argument -- that people apparently have a greater distaste for Obamacare that doesn't translate to Kynect -- appears to be true.

No, there was a choice for 'never heard of' which weeded out the uneducated.

No, I see what he's saying. The poll doesn't actually indicate that more people favored Kynect than Obamacare (Obamacare actually has a 33% approval rate while Kynect has only a 29% rate), but the thread title uses that conclusion as a generalization.

There is an option for "never heard of," but that's not a statement of approval or disapproval. It's likely that many people might approve of it had they heard of it, but it's also likely that many would disapprove of it, too (especially if it was described in the same way as Obamacare or associated with Obamacare). And so it's altogether possible that the relative lack of knowledge explains the lower disapproval rating (which is what Mr.Awesome is suggesting).

Opiate

It's always good to be as accurate as possible. I have changed the title to be better worded.

I think Mr. Awesome has a point, even if I don't entirely agree with them. Again, greater accuracy is always better.

Jooney

Once again it's an effect of the GOP's negative propaganda. They can't help but run away when democrats in red states are surrounded by voters who listen to fox news and the like.

I'm criticising their actions to not go on the offensive and combat the negative propaganda. If dems can't sell the ACA in KY where it has been a success then they can't sell it anywhere.

Running away from policy success is a choice.

Why is it so hard to just quote what you're talking about instead of getting defensive
edit: There were more people who didn't even know what Kynect was, which still proves the point that of the people who have heard of the two, more people have an unfavorable opinion of Obamacare, despite it being virtually the same as Kynect

I'm criticising their actions to not go on the offensive and combat the negative propaganda. If dems can't sell the ACA in KY where it has been a success then they can't sell it anywhere.

Indeed. If people are vocally opposed to the ACA but are willing to participate in and benefit from Kynect, it makes sense to talk about defending the successful Kentucky-grown program rather than dismantling the federal law that enables its existence. I have a hard time imagining how you could get away with that without at least teetering on the edge of misleading your constituents (as it seems they're more appreciative when they're ignorant of the link), but given the political baggage around open discussion of the ACA I don't know that it's altogether wrong to try to reboot the public dialogue, either.

There were more people who didn't even know what Kynect was, which still proves the point that of the people who have heard of the two, more people have an unfavorable opinion of Obamacare, despite it being virtually the same as Kynect

I don't remember the poll results specifying how many of that 56% of Obamacare disapprovers actually knew about or had an opinion on Kynect.

ISOM

It's much easier to sell negativity than it is to promote positivity especially when it has been brainwashed in the electorate. Should the democrats have tried to get better messaging in red states earlier? Definitely, but now that it is so negative we certain parts of the country. I don't blame certain democrats not embracing the aca to get elected. Once they get elected however, I would hope that they embrace it and try their best to change perceptions.

LastNac

I don't know, as a Kentuckian the article does seems like an over generalization.

The State overall has become more and more divisive in terms of how it votes and its politics. Areas like Louisville, Lexington, and Covington have become significantly more Liberal over the years. It's the Eastern and Southern parts of the state that are the holdouts. Eastern Kentucky is Coal Country, obviously a certain rhetoric takes hold there.

People are so fucking stupid.

If you read the article, the experiment was somewhat misleading. People were shown "Mojave" without actually getting to use it. It was demonstrated by a trained sales rep. who presumably knew the OS very well. They were not likely to run into any of the issues that average users had. They didn't get the same experience that everyone else did with Vista. If they had given copies of "Mojave" to users who already had experience with Vista and let them give their impressions of it after getting a chance to use it on their own, I'm willing to bet that they would have the same opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom