• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keurig CEO on coffee DRM: "Quite honestly, we were wrong."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus.

I have a keurig and I don't like it. Coffee is too cold, most the flavors suck and the cups aren't cheap when normal price. Much prefer brewed coffee, even though it's more work and time.

Only the Keurig branded coffee pods had a signed RFID tag (or something) in their lids. If you put a non-Keurig pod into the coffee machine, it detected the absence of this tag and wouldn't function without it.

Lol holy shit. I'm sure that increases the costs a bit which in turn increases prices to consumers AND limits consumer options. Horrid idea.

I figured they just had some oddly-shaped Kcups that meant standard brands wouldn't physically fit... To slap an RFID in there is next-level bullshit.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
What makes this even a dumber move is that Keurig had a hint at what was coming already. When they released the Vue unit that didn't sell well, and caused alot of confusion you think they would have decided to rethink 2.0. But instead they double downed on a strategy that had already failed. The original Keurig machine was a game changer, it sold like crazy. They should have found ways to improve that, not keep trying to move from it at every single opportunity.

Which is fucking stupid because you can just take the label off a keurig pod and put it on any other pod and it will work.

I believe the easiest solution was to rip off the very top of the Keurig pod and simply tape it on top of the pod receiver on the machine and boom, every pod works all the time.

rjc571

Banned
You can get around the DRM pretty easily, just take the label off of an official K-Cup and put it on top of your unsanctioned cup inside the coffee machine, the sensor will accept the label and brew the unsanctioned cup underneath.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Again, Jay Z, Keurig, Madonna, Carly Fiorina, just tweet me if you want to know if your idea is bad and stupid or not. No need to spend millions actually launching the dumb shit. @Franklez, anytime. I will hook you up.

pestul

Keurig is awful. Tassimo is much better for that kind "instant" single cup coffee. Drip is still king, though.
99% of Keurig cups are awful, thankfully when you find one really good one you are set. I did just that. I love the Melita Deluxe Dark Roast. It even smells like a freshly brewed pot of coffee from a restaurant. My wife who doesn't drink coffee even commented on the lovely aroma.

does nespresso not exist over there? here in NL and I'm assuming other parts of EU it's HUGE. surely they would be able to get in on this action since these idiots seem to have shit the bed.

I have an older Keurig but my Dad recently got a Nespresso machine and when my Keurig craps out I am definitely switching.

Haint

Most of the unlicensed brands (namely the national store brands) switched over to paying the K cup branding royalty after the 2.0 came out so I'm sure they really consider this mission accomplished. CEO just telling consumers what they want to hear.

joelseph

99% of Keurig cups are awful, thankfully when you find one really good one you are set. I did just that. I love the Melita Deluxe Dark Roast. It even smells like a freshly brewed pot of coffee from a restaurant. My wife who doesn't drink coffee even commented on the lovely aroma.

You mean 100%. The grinds are staled out to rid it of C02. The oils are long long gone from all 'cups' Keurig or otherwise.

Most of the unlicensed brands (namely the national store brands) switched over to paying the K cup branding royalty after the 2.0 came out so I'm sure they really consider this mission accomplished. CEO just telling consumers what they want to hear.

Falling sales and stock prices probably isn't mission accomplished.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I do actually love my Keurig. I use refillable pods with good ground coffee, but I have had a ton of really good pods too, Lavazza, Green Mountain, even Starbucks have some palatable brews. The simplicity and convenience is worth the BS, IMO.

Not the DRM BS, just the regular BS. The DRM thing is New Coke levels of stupid.

akira28

"We underestimated the passion the consumer had for this"

does this mean "we assumed the customer wouldn't mind getting fucked. Apparently we were wrong?"

come the fuck on. I hate when corporations try actual seriously dickish moves, and then their apologies are shit a sociopath wouldn't even say.

I mean, how could you convince yourself this is a good move? Yes it would make you money, but this is a peek into the thought process of most corporations. They can rationalize ANYTHING if it makes them money. This is why they end up doing so many bad things around the world. If it makes them money and if no one will regulate them, they have no moral or social conscience to stop them.

Laekon

billion dollar mistake, good job soon-to-be ex-CEO
He'll be able to wipe the tears away with his multi million dollar serverance when he leaves.

I think a good amount of the decrease has to do with saturation. I don't believe the average consumer knows anything about the DRM.

legacyzero

Banned
You can get around the DRM pretty easily, just take the label off of an official K-Cup and put it on top of your unsanctioned cup inside the coffee machine, the sensor will accept the label and brew the unsanctioned cup underneath.
COFFEE PIRACY!!

BAN THIS FILTH
I do actually love my Keurig. I use refillable pods with good ground coffee, but I have had a ton of really good pods too, Lavazza, Green Mountain, even Starbucks have some palatable brews. The simplicity and convenience is worth the BS, IMO.

Not the DRM BS, just the regular BS. The DRM thing is New Coke levels of stupid.
Yep. LOVE my Keyrig

Prez

"We underestimated the passion the consumer had for this," Kelley told analysts on a call Wednesday evening."

Don't they mean overestimated?

Smellycat

Wait, the new Keurig only brew Keurig cups??
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

"We underestimated the passion the consumer had for this," Kelley told analysts on a call Wednesday evening."

Don't they mean overestimated?

"Underestimated how much consumers enjoyed being able to buy coffee brands that weren't ours to save money."

I wonder if it's also possible that the devices hit saturation? It's not like a crm-free keurig from a few years ago has broken down already, surely?

I'm always a little surprised how much people shit on Keurig in threads. My parents love theirs and they had brewed for years.

Everything popular has a...what's the opposite of a defense force...assault squad? on GAF.

I agree that Keurig coffee is too cold coming out of the machine. And if you hit the large cup button, the coffee is way too weak and just tastes like dirty water. But the small cup button is fine.

Artorias

Banned

Hold the fuck on, this actually uses a sensor to check? When the thread title said DRM I figured they just made the pods shaped differently...

That is beyond ridiculous.

Billions of these plastic cups being dumped and buried in landfills but they're apologizing for DRM? Nah.

Right? I've almost got my entire family off it at this point. Buy a single cup coffee maker, sure, but make sure you can use a reusable cartridge/cup FFS. It's a tremendous waste.

pestul

You mean 100%. The grinds are staled out to rid it of C02. The oils are long long gone from all 'cups' Keurig or otherwise.
I'm not sure these are like normal cups. They have the filter mesh with coffee grinds and they come in a sealed bag. I'll go and check it now but I think they're different in that regard.

Piggus

Keurig was already an obnoxious and wasteful concept before the DRM. So the cherry on top of the shit sundae, basically.

I can't say I'm sorry to see them falter.

Suit yourself. We have a commercial version (no heat-up time) and it's pretty awesome. Kurig (non 2.0) is great if you know how to properly use it. I use a pretty fine grind in a reusable cup and it's a lot better than crap they make in the kitchen here at work.

So the Keurig 1.0 is like the Xbox 360 and the 2.0 is like the Xbox One?

lol, excellent analogy.

Everything popular has a...what's the opposite of a defense force...assault squad? on GAF.

I agree that Keurig coffee is too cold coming out of the machine. And if you hit the large cup button, the coffee is way too weak and just tastes like dirty water. But the small cup button is fine.

AH really? I always let mine cool down for a bit. I agree on the small cup option though. Always use that.

I think I need to try this one...sounds good.

TomShoe

Banned
Wait, the new Keurig only brew Keurig cups??
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Yep. The 2.0s only brewed Keurig cups with DRM. People can't use 3rd party cups or their own blend, so naturally everyone is going to get upset. What makes this 10x as heinous was that there wasn't even any benefit to the consumer from adding DRM. It was all 100% greed on Keurig's part. Glad to see they admitted being money-hungry asses.

Stupid, greedy cunts. Anybody with a fraction of an ounce of common sense could have told them this was a moronic thing to do. The only way you couldn't see that is if your thought process is completely taken up by images of dollar signs.

Tell me more of this Verismo. Can I make regular coffee with it?

Unfortunately it also has DRM. You can only use Starbucks branded pods with it. But yeah - it makes coffee, espresso and even has milk pods for lattes (which are just okay).

The upside is that the pods taste exactly like what you get in the restaurant.

"Pretty easily" doesn't really cut it though when the entire point of the product is convenience. Making pourover or French press is pretty easy too, and way cheaper and better quality than using a Keurig.

NickFire

Their problem is the extortionate price for the pods. You can brew a whole pot cheaper than a single cup from a pod.

Valnen

Billions of these plastic cups being dumped and buried in landfills but they're apologizing for DRM? Nah.

People really don't care about the environment if it means giving up convenience.

I'm surprised though. I would have thought Keurig would double down on their stance. That said, could the drop in sales just be because just about everyone owns a Keurig these days?

Subitai

DRM for coffee? LOL, what the fuck were they thinking?
MBA profit maximization for those quarterlies.

Invest in squeezing out the profits your current customers instead of trying to find new ways to serve them.

It is an easier case to make on a spreadsheet and in a powerpoint for one and not the other.

My work got the newer Kurieg machine with he DRM. My tea pods don't work in the machine.

Thankfully one day, somebody left their pod in the machine so I took it out and cut the top off of it. Now I just slide the top of the used pod on top of my tea pods and it works like a charm

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Drop the DRM and fix the damn plastic problem, FFS. Even the creator wanted to help you with that later one, but NOOOOOOO.

styl3s

Pretty much. The coffee is terrible.

Everyone should just get a french press. Easy and quick.
I taste no difference between a normal coffee pot and a keurig cup and i don't drink enough coffee to spend all that time on a french press. I wake up, slap the door down and hit brew and go piss and when im back bing bang boom hot cup of coffee.

I don't drink coffee for the taste i drink it because i am tired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom