• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keurig CEO on coffee DRM: "Quite honestly, we were wrong."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krassus

I have an older Keurig but my Dad recently got a Nespresso machine and when my Keurig craps out I am definitely switching.

My parents use the Nespresso and I was pretty impressed by the taste as a Spanish coffee drinker (snob).

Thing is that it is 300 bucks and most likely I wouldn't use it, I always end up liking the social aspect of getting coffee and saying hi to my downtown coworkers in the AM.

Everyone should just get a french press. Easy and quick.

French presses are not quick. I use one every day in the office and making coffee using one takes no less than 10 minutes. You need to wait for the water to boil, then pour it in the press, then wait again for the coffee to brew. And you need to hand wash it after every brew.

On the flip side, my Keurig has my cup of coffee in the morning ready in no more than 1 minute. The coffee doesn't taste any worse, though I'm using reusable Kcups with beans I grind myself beforehand.

But still.

French presses are so overrated.

I have an older Keurig with a refillable pod so I just buy my own coffee grounds as the regular pods, as quick and convenient as they are, are so horrendously wasteful and expensive.

If my Keurig machine breaks I'm not buying another one because of this DRM non-sense.

MechDX

I have an older Keurig with a refillable pod so I just buy my own coffee grounds as the regular pods, as quick and convenient as they are, are so horrendously wasteful and expensive.

If my Keurig machine breaks I'm not buying another one because of this DRM non-sense.

Just don't buy a Keurig 2.0 maker. Still plenty of 1.0 in the wild.

Also for those who don't like the plastic:

514N3OlHfFL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007TGDXNO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Used these many, many times. Good stuff

EDIT: lol they now include the "freedom clip"
61OV3LYWHvL.jpg

Nordicus

Their problem is the extortionate price for the pods. You can brew a whole pot cheaper than a single cup from a pod.
Yeah, there's that too.

I drink 2 cups of coffee a day so I save at least an euro daily by just using my Moccamaster. When I buy the really really awesome coffee grounds I save a little less than that.

EDIT: lol they now include the "freedom clip"
61OV3LYWHvL.jpg
That's amazing

I have a Keurig Rivo from the pre-DRM days. The cups are uniquely shaped, though, so it's like physical DRM.

It has a pretty sweet built-in frother, though, which I like.

This thread, I am so confused.

DRM, Modding, piracy, backlash, and reversal all for a cup of Coffee. It is absolutely insane. It reads like an Onion article. I feel like there is a "homebrew" joke in there as well.

I don't understand these pod machines. What is wrong with brewing a cup using the coffee beans and filter?

knicks

You can still buy an old Keurig machine, and the third party k-cups. What's the problem here? People are acting like they don't have options. Just don't buy the newer models....

I taste no difference between a normal coffee pot and a keurig cup and i don't drink enough coffee to spend all that time on a french press. I wake up, slap the door down and hit brew and go piss and when im back bing bang boom hot cup of coffee.

I put so much creamer in my coffee I can't tell the difference either. I would guess if you drink it black you might. Still the anti-Keurig crowd is pretty eye rolling at times.

Just don't buy a Keurig 2.0 maker. Still plenty of 1.0 in the wild.

Also for those who don't like the plastic:

514N3OlHfFL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007TGDXNO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This is what I use.

I have a Keurig Rivo from the pre-DRM days. The cups are uniquely shaped, though, so it's like physical DRM.

It has a pretty sweet built-in frother, though, which I like.

Yes I have a regular Keurig and a RIVO machine. That frother on the RIVO is awesome.

Allforce

This thread, I am so confused.

DRM, Modding, piracy, backlash, and reversal all for a cup of Coffee. It is absolutely insane. It reads like an Onion article. I feel like there is a "homebrew" joke in there as well.

I don't understand these pod machines. What is wrong with brewing a cup using the coffee beans and filter?

A lot of people just like to have one cup of coffee and dont' want to make a whole pot. A whole lot of people apparently, considering the success of the Keurig.

I just set up a pot each night in our drip brewer and it turns on and brews at 7:30 AM each morning so it's waiting for us. Not really much of a hassle and I can have an honest to god full cup of coffee in a giant travel mug instead of the tiny little 10 oz "serving" the Keurigs spit out on their Large setting.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Don't have a Keurig but I do have a Nespresso.

It's awesome, I'm not a big coffee drinker but it satisfies my coffee urge. I can't even drink the junk that comes out of the coffee machine at work anymore.

I love my Keurig single cup maker but yeah...I have no plans to buy another machine due to drm.

I mean you don't lock out the competition you simply make your brand of coffee cup compelling to purchase.

You can still buy an old Keurig machine, and the third party k-cups. What's the problem here? People are acting like they don't have options. Just don't buy the newer models....

This is almost word for word what Mattrick said about people who couldn't be always online with their Xbox Ones. The result is eerily similar.

No lessons learned from trying to DRM the printer ink and toner cartridges either.

Valnen

This is almost word for word what Mattrick said about people who couldn't be always online with their Xbox Ones. The result is eerily similar.
The situations aren't really comparable are they? Can you not use the new cups in the old machines? You can't play new games on an Xbox 360, making the situation there worse.

Green Mountain Coffee is some of the worst coffee I've ever had period. Vermont is not for coffee.
Insert there is nothing in Vermont anyway joke here.

shink

Amazing, coffee pods DRM.
We received a Nepresso as a gift (probably would never have bought it otherwise) and it's pretty good. Not as good as coffee in a cafe but then again it's 1/4 of the price and convenient.

I love my Keurig. Donut Shop coffee is pretty darned awesome. Coffee snobs can bugger off.

I'm certain it's not a nice thing to think, but I find similarity between this sentiment and those guys who buy trucks the produce extra pollution and hang a pair of truck nuts off the back end.

Priz

http://www.rogersfamilyco.com/index.php/letter-founder-ceo-freedom-clip-customers/

We expected maybe 10,000 requests. To be safe, I ordered 30,000 Freedom Clips.

So we put the offer out there, and everything was going fine — just as expected — until one weekend in late January.

That weekend, our free offer was picked up and announced by Fox News, People, CNN Money, CNET, Huffington Post, the Guardian, and ConsumerAffairs, to name a few of the bigger ones.

To say the least, this was completely unexpected.

That weekend, our website and email servers crashed.

When I got to the office Monday morning, it was complete chaos. Our IT Department was running around, moving everything over to much larger servers. Almost everyone was on the phone. It was ringing so constantly that I thought it was malfunctioning. Those people who weren’t on the phone were dragging people from accounting, ecommerce, and sales into Customer Service to help. In fact, I had to hire another Customer Service person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom