• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Boogiepop

Grr... the
area after the loading point in 19 is going to be a BIG problem from the look of things. WHY couldn't they put an invisible wall around that? It's impossible to dodge without flying off, and you have to fight too many enemies there to be able to just eat the damage/blow through powers.
This may take a while, and only because of that section. (Talking 9.0 of course.)

Prinny

Grr... the
area after the loading point in 19 is going to be a BIG problem from the look of things. WHY couldn't they put an invisible wall around that? It's impossible to dodge without flying off, and you have to fight too many enemies there to be able to just eat the damage/blow through powers.
This may take a while, and only because of that section. (Talking 9.0 of course.)
I spammed transparency and killed everything as fast as possible.

Am I aiming for more stars or more value? I read the OP and was just able to pick out which weapon would suit me the best, it's just I have no idea really on how to weigh them against eachother

Korosenai

Those who are having trouble doing well in multiplayer might find this guide rather helpful.

This setup actually sounds like a lot of fun to use

Big Boom
Weapon:
Cragalanche Cannon
Powers: Explosive Flame (lvl 2), Meteor Shower (lvl 2), Heavenly Light (lvl 1), Mega Laser (lvl 3)
Method: Excessive damage is the name of this set-ups game, launching great massive explosives into gaggles of opponents, going hell for leather with all the explosives you’ve got. In fact death isn’t a major concern when we’re rocking the Big Boom, as that just re-arms our explosives even quicker.

muu

This setup actually sounds like a lot of fun to use

Big Boom
Weapon:
Cragalanche Cannon
Powers: Explosive Flame (lvl 2), Meteor Shower (lvl 2), Heavenly Light (lvl 1), Mega Laser (lvl 3)
Method: Excessive damage is the name of this set-ups game, launching great massive explosives into gaggles of opponents, going hell for leather with all the explosives you’ve got. In fact death isn’t a major concern when we’re rocking the Big Boom, as that just re-arms our explosives even quicker.

Tack on Powers+4 and it'd be a real menace. Too bad I can't seem to find mega lasers beyond LV2...

For those of you struggling to find stronger weapons to fuse, you need to play 9.0 SP.
Chapter 20
is very easy to farm through once you get the hang of it. Only a few segments that really have you sweating. Regularly nets you 3+ 300~320 weaps (and a power or two) that you can then use to fuse things to your liking.

Busaiku

Violet Palms is the most useful support weapon in Light vs Dark (assuming your partners have something else).
They've got good range, good damage for that range, good continuous fire, good movement; basically good everything.

Paired with Petrify/Freeze Attack, it really helps your teammates to go for those kills, assuming you don't play like an idiot.
Some Evasion and Standing Continuous Fire also helps a lot.

I've tried other Palms (and Pandora Claws once), but other than that, I've stuck with Violet Palms for like the 200 other games, and have typically done well.
Every round I see most other people switch up their weapons, but I just keep chugging along with those Violet Palms.

Aurum Palms aren't that bad either, but I think they've got slightly less range, homing, and damage, but greater continuous fire.

Boogiepop

Beat
Chapter 20
on 9.0. The section right before the boss is pretty dangerous if you're not quick/careful, but other than that it wasn't too bad.
Chapter 21
looks like it might put up a bit of a fight, though.

Beat
Chapter 20
on 9.0. The section right before the boss is pretty dangerous if you're not quick/careful, but other than that it wasn't too bad.
Chapter 20
looks like it might put up a bit of a fight, though.

Chapter 21 (which is what I assume you're talking about) actually isn't that bad if you can get the hang of it. The air section is more about dodging than attacking, so if you're quick on your feet--er, wings, then you should be fine. As for the ground segment; remember to stock a few healing powers to help you out in a pinch.

Something important to remember, as silly as it sounds, is stay out of Dark Pit's way once he arrives. It's really easy to lose track of him in a crowd, and the giant charge shots from his bow can actually hurt you if you get in their way. He seems to stay calm if you don't hit him, so stay out of his way.

When you reach the Chaos Kin, let Pittoo do most of the work. You can just hang back and take potshots at the CK whenever it skitters by, and he'll go down without much trouble. If you need tips on the individual waves, just PM me and I'll help you out.

Ghost23

Loving the game! My only nitpick so far is the button for using the powers. I'm using the left handed default controls, which makes it difficult to reach over and initiate the powers.

Insaniac

Ugh I've beaten SP, and played over 100 together games and still haven't gotten the energy charge power and my brother got it after our first together game :p

Also, anybody have any answers to my question about bumblebee vs counter and how to fight against these powers?

To my knowledge, Bumblebee negates damage, whilst Counter does not.

As for how to counter them, if you know someone has either active, just stay out of melee range and start shooting them into a dodge chain. Eventually they'll get fatigued and you'll have a free shot at them.

If you attack them without knowing, all you can really do is dodge on reaction/counter with your own melee attack.

muu

Bumblebee, like the dodge item, only auto dodges for you if you're not in the midst of a dash attack (or the delay between dodges). Good as insurance but it does not mean you're not going to get hit. Not to mention, the effect wears off after 2 or 3 dodges.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Loving the game! My only nitpick so far is the button for using the powers. I'm using the left handed default controls, which makes it difficult to reach over and initiate the powers.

You can also tap the power on the touch screen, that's what I was suing for a while when I didn't know about the d-pad inputs

Insaniac

You can also tap the power on the touch screen, that's what I was suing for a while when I didn't know about the d-pad inputs

I'm still surprised that given all the control options, sakurai didn't just include the ability to see all your powers and tap a given one to activate it, instead of needing to scroll through them

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Am I aiming for more stars or more value? I read the OP and was just able to pick out which weapon would suit me the best, it's just I have no idea really on how to weigh them against eachother

Stars indicate damage. Value is related to the modifiers and stars altogether.

They're related, but you can get a weapon with a high amount of stars at a low value. Sometimes that comes with the trade-off that that weapon doesn't have many modifiers or it has a bad modifier like "Shot Damage -4" or something.

Giolon

Maybe you guys all know this, but I was just informed by my friend that the Prototype 2 issue of @Gamer magazine from Best Buy has Kid Icarus AR cards in it. He got Pit (Rally Cry), Samurai Blade, and Goddess of Calamity, Pandora. I'm going down to Best Buy tomorrow to pick one of those magazines up!

Korosenai

Maybe you guys all know this, but I was just informed by my friend that the Prototype 2 issue of @Gamer magazine from Best Buy has Kid Icarus AR cards in it. He got Pit (Rally Cry), Samurai Blade, and Goddess of Calamity, Pandora. I'm going down to Best Buy tomorrow to pick one of those magazines up!

So it looks like i'll be getting a nintendo power and a gamer magazine now.

So I dropped Kid Icarus for a little bit when Kingdom Hearts 3D came out since it's a tradition of mine to drop everything when a KH title releases. Now that that's beaten, I've returned to KI:U.

For reference, I stopped playing around chapter

Holy shit I missed this game. I forgot how batshit crazy the whole thing is. Every time I think it's gone off the deep end for good, it just keeps going and going like a rabid energizer bunny in the best way.

I had to make an excuse to stop playing last night or I would have been up way too late.

Delicious.

daakusedo

With the way Palutena is pictured in the game, it just made me laugh when I realized she was not sending gems via spotpass on weekend.

Just finished the second mission. The gameplay is fun, but on the ground battles, I tend to rely on the enemy indicators more than what's on screen. So much is going on with the tiny screen that it gets confusing. Especially when you have your partner helping you in level 2. I ended up shooting him half the time.

I can't help but think that the console choice for this game was a missed opportunity. This REALLY should have been on Wii with pointer controls. I know that they gave up developing for Wii and this game was developed to sell 3DS consoles, but, ignoring the market, this is a game better played on Wii.

The "spinning globe" camera seems like a good idea in theory, but I think I'd switch to bounding box controls if they were available. I know people say that you want faster turning speed supposedly, but I'd take my chances if bounding box controls were fully customizable a la the Call of Duty games on Wii.

I haven't died yet, but I feel more like I'm surviving on basic impulses of spraying while strafing/dashing more than winning because I am playing well or tactically handling the battle well. If I don't master the controls by Mission 6, I may just trade this game in. And this is coming from someone that though Sin and Punishment 2 is a masterpiece.

Anustart

Picked this up a couple days ago and some questions! whats these weapon gems I hear about and how do you make them? And is it possible to get high damage weapons with good abilities or what?

Seems if I try to get good abilities on a weapon they'll only transfer to weapons with low damage.

Insaniac

Ugh idle players on wi-fi! Why!

Came so close to losing a game because of the idle guy on our team, I was pit, hung on with a pixel of life. Game was intense though and my hands are shaking from the tension.

Neiteio

So is everyone really using the default controls? I'm not bitching, but still can't adjust totally and I'm 4 chapters in.
I use default controls, but with max horizontal/vertical aiming speed and max reticule stopping speed. Had it down pat in one chapter. Some of the greatest controls ever, imo. Simply fantastic.

So is everyone really using the default controls? I'm not bitching, but still can't adjust totally and I'm 4 chapters in.

I started with default and pumped up the reticle speed and made it stop quickly. Both for land and air.

I'm on chapter four now also, and I'm still dying because of camera and control issues. Been playing for a couple hours. Controls are borderline broken in my opinion. All the depth and complexity in the weapons/powers system isn't hiding the shaky foundation.

I am shocked this is a Nintendo game, considering how they're known for nailing the simple things. Sakurai really does have carte blanche to put out whatever he wants.

Kard8p3

I started with default and pumped up the reticle speed and made it stop quickly. Both for land and air.

I'm on chapter four now also, and I'm still dying because of camera and control issues. Been playing for a couple hours. Controls are borderline broken in my opinion. All the depth and complexity in the weapons/powers system isn't hiding the shaky foundation.

I am shocked this is a Nintendo game, considering how they're known for nailing the simple things. Sakurai really does have carte blanche to put out whatever he wants.

Controls seem perfectly fine to me.

SmithnCo

Ugh idle players on wi-fi! Why!

Came so close to losing a game because of the idle guy on our team, I was pit, hung on with a pixel of life. Game was intense though and my hands are shaking from the tension.

I hate that. Every online game needs an auto idle kick. It feels cheap when you win because of another team's idle guy too.

Boogiepop

The controls aren't broken, but they do have a potentially steep learning curve. I got them pretty quick, but I could see people having trouble. Still, I'm not sure they could of done anything better, and they really are fantastic once you learn them. Couldn't imagine playing the game with a different scheme, it'd just feel way too slow.

Hale-XF11

I'm on chapter four now also, and I'm still dying because of camera and control issues. Been playing for a couple hours. Controls are borderline broken in my opinion.

I hate to say it, but two hours isn't enough time. I know everyone's different, but I didn't get used to the controls until literally half-way through the campaign and about a good hour or so of multi-player. I know that seems like it's bad design, but it's really not. This game takes a long, long time to master the controls, but once you do, it's totally worth it and you find yourself actually loving it. Then you find yourself playing a lot more and getting better and better and better at it. I know it seems crazy, but give it a lot more time and see if it doesn't suddenly click for you or you suddenly find yourself dodging, shooting and running around with ease.

I think it finally clicked for me when I adjusted the controls in the options and then played a really good amount of online multi-player. Playing multi-player really gives you chance to just let loose and run around while you get a feel for the controls. Sure, maybe you'll suck at first, but once you get over that hurdle and everything clicks, you'll start kicking some ass.

The controls aren't broken, but they do have a potentially steep learning curve. I got them pretty quick, but I could see people having trouble. Still, I'm not sure they could of done anything better, and they really are fantastic once you learn them. Couldn't imagine playing the game with a different scheme, it'd just feel way too slow.
This.

I hate to say it, but two hours isn't enough time. I didn't get used to the controls until literally half-way through the campaign and about a good hour of multi-player. I know that seems like it's bad design, but it's really not. This game takes a long, long time to master the controls, but once you do, it's totally worth it and you find yourself actually loving it. Then you find yourself playing a lot more and getting better and better and better at it. I know it seems crazy, but give it a lot more time and see if it doesn't suddenly click for you or you suddenly find yourself dodging, shooting and running around with ease.

I think it finally clicked for me when I adjusted the controls in the options and then played a really good amount of online multi-player. Playing multi-player really gives you chance to just let loose and run around while you get a feel for the controls. Sure, maybe you'll suck at first, but once you get over that hurdle and everything clicks, you'll start kicking some ass.

I guess I have a different philosophy on games than you then. One of the reasons I like Nintendo games (and even Sakurai's Smash Bros.) is that I can jump into it, enjoy it, and then there are layers of complexity underneath.

In KI:U, the complexity is obvious, but I'm not really enjoying the initial experience. Just running around in a game like Mario is fun. Running around in Kid Icarus is an exercise in frustration.

I'm on Chapter 5 now. To me, control issues should be done with, and it's time to enjoy the unraveling of new mechanics. At this point, I'm playing out of obligation to the money I spent. I was wary of all the reviews talking about the controls, but I got it for $30 and got the 3D classics, so I bit.

Insaniac

I agree, everyone picks up on them at a different pace, I was accustomed to them almost immediately once I maxed the sensitivity, but only recently have I felt like I truly 'mastered' them.

jgkspsx

I'm surprised at how well I do in multi and single player without the stand, but my hands can't take much of it. I can use the controls well, but they are not fun to use.

Top Bottom