• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Neiteio

I love the simple acting of spinning and stopping the camera. That, in itself, is an act of pure, unadulterated fun for me. It's so snappy and responsive. Spin, and click. Spin, and click. It's a simple joy like running around in Mario.

And then the act of dashing and dodging... Combine that with incoming enemy fire, sidestepping it deftly... Combine all of that with releasing a charge shot in return, and watching the enemy go POP! in a splashy explosion, like a pinata full of confetti... It's just incredibly rewarding to play, moment to moment.

It's been awhile since I've so actively craved to play a game. Best Nintendo game in a long time, imo.

Hale-XF11

I guess I have a different philosophy on games than you then. One of the reasons I like Nintendo games (and even Sakurai's Smash Bros.) is that I can jump into it, enjoy it, and then there are layers of complexity underneath.

In KI:U, the complexity is obvious, but I'm not really enjoying the initial experience. Just running around in a game like Mario is fun. Running around in Kid Icarus is an exercise in frustration.

I'm on Chapter 5 now. To me, control issues should be done with, and it's time to enjoy the unraveling of new mechanics. At this point, I'm playing out of obligation to the money I spent. I was wary of all the reviews talking about the controls, but I got it for $30 and got the 3D classics, so I bit.

On the contrary, I love Nintendo games for the same reason. I was worried about this game at first because I thought I had just spent money on a game I couldn't even play properly. I was right there with you. In fact, I continued to play out of obligation too, though I still enjoyed the flying bits, music and other great stuff the game has to offer.

I'm serious when I say that I didn't think I would like this game or that I could stand to play it for too long. I thought I was pretty sure that I would hate the ground controls forever. I'm a little surprised I got better at it and actually love it now.

Hale-XF11

Just don't die and you don't have any negatives :|

Funny, but this is one of those rare games (and really the only one I can think of at the moment) where the phrase "With great power, comes great responsibility" really holds true. I love that trade-off where if you decide to go with the most powerful weapon possible, it comes at a cost if you're not super careful, confident and skilled enough to handle the responsibility of not letting yourself and your entire team down while using it.

Funny, but this is one of those rare games (and really the only one I can think of at the moment) where the phrase "With great power, comes great responsibility" really holds true. I love that trade-off where if you decide to go with the most powerful weapon possible, it comes at a cost if you're not super careful, confident and skilled enough to handle the responsibility of not letting yourself and your entire team down while using it.

This game also proves another Spidey gem; "with great power comes a great beatdown."

See, the trick isn't not dying, it's not dying often. If you have good synergy between your weapon and power set, you become an unstoppable killing machine that sees death only as a means of restocking your powers. I'm not saying I'm one of those people, seeing as how I play it safe with a 298 weapon, but they're definately out there. Some may even frequent this board.

Doo-doo-doo-do doo-doo-doo-do!

Jintor

Besides, once you force Pit or Dark Pit to show up, if you whale on the enemy quickly enough you're totally set. Once your team's pit shows up, respawning is so fast that there's hardly any negatives to just throwing yourself into the fray at that point.

abasm

Just don't die and you don't have any negatives :|

The key is pair up high-value weaponry with a strategy and powers that will keep you alive. Staffs would let you pick off opponents at range, while claws would let you flee quickly if the need arises. I think mid-range weapons might be the hardest to use effectively at high value levels.

Jarsonot

So I have almost 25 hours of solo play, have beaten every chapter on at least 5, and have almost cleared Palutena's treasure hunt.

I'm still missing "Narrowly avoid a total of 5 shots in Air Battles" and I have come to the conclusion that I have no idea what that must mean! I've been doing the air dodge, and have "narrowly avoided" a ton of shots, it feels to me, but obviously not. And now I noticed there's one for avoiding 25 shots - I need some advice. I haven't nailed 5 in 25 hours of play, 25 worries me! =)

What am I doing wrong? Is it 5 in one battle? It doesn't read that way.

So I have almost 25 hours of solo play, have beaten every chapter on at least 5, and have almost cleared Palutena's treasure hunt.

I'm still missing "Narrowly avoid a total of 5 shots in Air Battles" and I have come to the conclusion that I have no idea what that must mean! I've been doing the air dodge, and have "narrowly avoided" a ton of shots, it feels to me, but obviously not. And now I noticed there's one for avoiding 25 shots - I need some advice. I haven't nailed 5 in 25 hours of play, 25 worries me! =)

What am I doing wrong? Is it 5 in one battle? It doesn't read that way.

It means you need to reflect 5 shotz by barrel rolling. There's a video that shows you how in the "How-to-Play" section.

Boogiepop

Gah, that last part of
Chapter 23
is proving to be a real handful. I haven't even made it to the boss yet on 9.0, and I'm sure that's going to take some doing as well. Especially if I have to use up all my powers to get there.

Hale-XF11

This game also proves another Spidey gem; "with great power comes a great beatdown."

See, the trick isn't not dying, it's not dying often. If you have good synergy between your weapon and power set, you become an unstoppable killing machine that sees death only as a means of restocking your powers. I'm not saying I'm one of those people, seeing as how I play it safe with a 298 weapon, but they're definately out there. Some may even frequent this board.

Doo-doo-doo-do doo-doo-doo-do!

Ah, yes, indeed. Trying to work on being that person myself, but I'm a tad inconsistent at not dying often, heh. I may have to consider setting aside my 327 bow for a bit and going with something else to see if I find more of a balance. Hard to give up all that power though, especially when you can kill people in two or three hits, heh.

abasm

If you're having trouble with the controls, don't think of Kid Icarus as a twin-stick shooter, or even a mouse and keyboard. Think of it more like a "stick and a trackball". It doesn't really have a precedent...although most Sakurai games wind up that way until they get sequels.

Ah, yes, indeed. Trying to work on being that person myself, but I'm a tad inconsistent at not dying often, heh. I may have to consider setting aside my 327 bow for a bit and going with something else to see if I find more of a balance. Hard to give up all that power though, especially when you can kill people in two or three hits, heh.

Finding powers that work well with your weapons should be paramount. My Samurai Blade works beautifully with Libra Sponge, to the point where I can KO the average opponent in one melee attack after absorbing a few hits.

Hale-XF11

Finding powers that work well with your weapons should be paramount. My Samurai Blade works beautifully with Libra Sponge, to the point where I can KO the average opponent in one melee attack after absorbing a few hits.

Yeah, for sure. I'm still experimenting to find the best combo possible for whatever style of game play I'm going for. I'm still a little baffled by how complex it can get. I'm still learning new things by playing with different powers and I still don't have all the powers yet. So crazy.

Finished 4 chapters thanks to insomnia/jet lag and managed to reach Chapter
this morning. Land controls have clicked with me now, and I'm loving the story. Still feel like I haven't even scratched the surface.

Aaaah ok, I have noticed that every now & then they reflect. I guess not 5 times so far =)

I'll watch the video, but any tips?

The surest way to pull one off is to slide the pad in one direction and then quickly flick it in the direction you want to roll. Be careful, as it has a small cooldown time. Good luck!

Jarsonot

The surest way to pull one off is to slide the pad in one direction and then quickly flick it in the direction you want to roll. Be careful, as it has a small cooldown time. Good luck!

Eesh, that's what I was afraid of - that's what I've been doing! Ah well, I'll just do it a gazillion more times and see if I can reflect some shots. =)

Just stoping by to say that this game is incredible. :) I'm very much impressed.

Fo'sho!

I love playing the Dark Pit chapter and hearing Dark Pit's Theme as he and Medusa converse. The timing of the composition along with the cool looking portrait art is just perfect. I really love Medusa's voice. It has a nice seductive vibe to it, yet maniacal in satire.

Neiteio

Speaking of musical timing, one part that works amazingly well is (spoiler about lead-up to Medusa)
in Chapter 9's flight section when you're heading toward the bottom of the ravine and Thanatos' key activates, causing a rift of light to open in the dark, and as you descend blocks are rising out of what resembles a widening eye, the pupil serving as the portal to the Underworld
. I thought that bit was such an incredible bit of imagery... Really otherworldly.

As for seductive voices... Palutena gets me everytime she says "naughty." *adjusts collar, fans self*

Glix

This game is so good. I'm over 80% now.

I have some kind of bug with subtitles where i set them for bottom screen and it saves, but then always reverts to top screen eventually. Super annoying.

Speaking of musical timing, one part that works amazingly well is (spoiler about lead-up to Medusa)
in Chapter 9's flight section when you're heading toward the bottom of the ravine and Thanatos' key activates, causing a rift of light to open in the dark, and as you descend blocks are rising out of what resembles a widening eye, the pupil serving as the portal to the Underworld
. I thought that bit was such an incredible bit of imagery... Really otherworldly.

Speaking of speaking of awesome imagery, I simply love the part of Mysterious Invaders that concides with 2:00 of the flight theme. It's my favourite piece in the game, due to it being sweeping and grand while still seeming imposing. I just loved the Aurum as enemies--they came from nothing, they were nothing, and in the end they returned to nothing. They existed only to consume and destroy, almost like zombies or Godzilla. I thought the concept was really neat in that way. Anyways, back to the song. Thr part at 2:00 is amazing, because it gives you that feeling of hopelessness as you struggle to even put dent in the forces of an enemy that is literally consuming the world. That song is up there with Lightning Battle and Magnus' Theme as some of the best the game has to offer.

Being a music minor, I could literally talk for hours about the imagery in THIS GAME's music.

KarmaCow

This game is so good. I'm over 80% now.

I have some kind of bug with subtitles where i set them for bottom screen and it saves, but then always reverts to top screen eventually. Super annoying.

I'm guessing you're probably flicking the subtitles up by mistake when you're moving the cursor around.

Boogiepop

YAAAAAY! Beat
Chapter 23
on 9.0. Took some doing, but I got it. Fortunately, the boss is honestly only as aggressive as you are, so even though I went into crisis mode a few times it turned out okay. Still, that was intense. Glad to be done with that. Should probably (hopefully) finish up 9.0'ing the chapters tomorrow. As long as the next chapter isn't more cruel than I remember, it probably won't be too bad.

cree3.jpg

1404974-3ds_kidicarus_04char03_e3_super.png

makes sense

Korosenai

Meet Magnus

Kid%20Icarus%20E3%2002.jpg

Meet his voice actor

800px-Fred_Tatasciore.jpg

It appears he also did voice acting for adventure time. I guess Nintendo really likes that show lol.

KevinCow

Banned
Cree Summer's voice usually annoys the hell out of me, but she was fine in this game. She usually has this slightly raspy thing going on that I can pick out instantly, but I didn't even know she was Medusa until I looked at the credits.

Neiteio

Speaking of speaking of awesome imagery, I simply love the part of Mysterious Invaders that concides with 2:00 of the flight theme. It's my favourite piece in the game, due to it being sweeping and grand while still seeming imposing. I just loved the Aurum as enemies--they came from nothing, they were nothing, and in the end they returned to nothing. They existed only to consume and destroy, almost like zombies or Godzilla. I thought the concept was really neat in that way. Anyways, back to the song. Thr part at 2:00 is amazing, because it gives you that feeling of hopelessness as you struggle to even put dent in the forces of an enemy that is literally consuming the world. That song is up there with Lightning Battle and Magnus' Theme as some of the best the game has to offer.

Being a music minor, I could literally talk for hours about the imagery in THIS GAME's music.
YES!! First off, I love that song -- on my car CD, the flight version opens the 24-track concert I've assembled for myself. The best part is 2:28 when the drums go thump-THUMP-thump-THUMP-thump. Also, agreed on (spoiler about enemy not seen in pre-release material)
the Aurum: They're a colossal, menacing, grandiose presence with their Independence Day-style fleet of floating islands and their countless battle cruisers and ships, yet their jazzy themes and digitized look give them loads of style to match. They also inspired some of the coolest-looking weapons in the game, and have probably the slickest reactor-style bosses of any series in gaming, from the fleshy Aurum Generator to the graceful spirals of the Aurum Brain. I also love the interlocking patterns of light leading to the Aurum Brain and threading across the many patchwork tiles comprising their various structures. Hypnotizing! What a trilogy of chapters the Aurum were.

Poyunch

So I'm in chapter 5 and it's the only level I have that's still a green laurel. Anyone got a tip to which treasure box I'm missing?

olimpia84

Got a ton of wins today playing LvsD...I was lucky and got good teammates. I'm loving the Halo Club that I'm using too; it's not very powerful but its shots charge faster than other clubs it seems.

So I'm in chapter 5 and it's the only level I have that's still a green laurel. Anyone got a tip to which treasure box I'm missing?
Not sure if I'm remembering this right and it might be something else that's up there, but at the very beginning of the land portion, there are a few jump pads that launch you up to a platform you otherwise don't need to be on at all and once up there, you can do a dash to jump over to another ledge that has a chest on it. Since that's at the very beginning of the level, it may be pretty easy to miss.
Also, be sure to check behind the fake doors near the beginning as well--I think one of them may lead to a dead-end that has something in it.
Other than that, I suppose there's the first Exo-Tank practice track that has a ramp that leads up to a chest.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Yes, you said that merely six posts up. Obviously not everyone agrees.
I started the game wishing it all controlled like the air battles. By Chapter 9 I was begrudgingly accepting that I had to work around the controls. I am on Chapter 21 now and I absolutely adore them.

There's a learning curve, but aside from a few issues like not being able to map powers to the D-Pad it is more than serviceable. The controls are genius.

hatchx

Banned
Put about 40 hours into this, thought it was time to offer up my mini-gaf-review. I did have a Pit display avatar since last year, and I'd say I was one of the only people here who never doubted Sakurai. Not from the beginning,

Pros
+Presentation is top notch
+Unique controls for faster action than ever before
+Surprisingly deep and enjoyable multiplayer
+Replay factor, weapons, trophies
+Enemy design more depth than meets the eye

Cons
-Can't 'join' a friend online, without being a friend match.
-Can't see what country people are from
-Some of the on-ground sections a bit long
-Doesn't matter to me, but should have given lefties/naysayers the dual-analog option
-Too addictive
-I found the 3D hard to keep on. A lot of ghosting. Was it just me?

Overal
One of the best games I've ever played, and still playing. Incredible. I havn't said it yet, but:

THIS GAME

Mistle

The graphics and 3D in this game is so good. The 3DS continues to impress me graphically. Can't wait to see what Zelda will look like...

Also, I'm not finding the controls to be a problem at all really. I was a bit rough to begin with obviously, but it only took me a couple of chapters to find my footing.

Top Bottom