• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Darryl

Banned

If you Star Wars nerdhood doesn't get funny feelings from this there's something wrong with you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKM0n7LnwFM

Also, spoilers. And singing!

JhJVn.gif

Wow, took a quick peek at one of the spoiler videos with the sound off and it looks amazing. I am looking forward to this game. I remember being in school and my friends and I taking turns trying to beat the original on NES. For us, it was right up there with Mario and Metroid. I even remember the schoolyard arguments with other kids saying that Chubby Cherub was the superior angel-based NES platforming game. They were obviously crazy.

If this does well, I wonder if we'll ever get a new Chubby Cherub game too?

hatchx

Banned
So I guess it was confirmed a couple pages ago you can play it Sin and Punishment style. As in A,B,X,Y to move and analog to aim?

That's pretty good news if you ask me, might become my default play-style if the analog aim is fast enough. Any impressions on this yet?

If you Star Wars nerdhood doesn't get funny feelings from this there's something wrong with you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKM0n7LnwFM

Also, spoilers. And singing!

This is crazy good. Considering Star Fox 64 was the first videogame I ever played when I was 7 and I loved it this seems right up my alley. Poor Pit, Palutena is mean.

edit
Also, are all the main villains female? Based on the dialogue it seems Hades is a girl. Surprised at how many strong females are in the cast. Medusa, Palutena, Virdi, and Hades.

Neiteio

This is crazy good. Considering Star Fox 64 was the first videogame I ever played when I was 7 and I loved it this seems right up my alley. Poor Pit, Palutena is mean.
Kid Icarus Uprising is going to be Star Fox 64 for a new generation of kids. They'll be quoting Pit and Palutena when they're adults with the same fondness that we quote "Do a barrel roll" and "Can't let you do that, Star Fox."

Kid Icarus Uprising is going to be Star Fox 64 for a new generation of kids. They'll be quoting Pit and Palutena when they're adults with the same fondness that we quote "Do a barrel roll" and "Can't let you do that, Star Fox."

I need to dial my hype back down a few notches before going there but I've always had a strong Star Fox 64 vibe from Uprising.

boiled goose

good with gravy

And then the it will be ruined with fan fiction.
game looks great.

Conor 419

Banned
Considering Sakurai had a choice between Starfox and Kid Icarus, it makes me wonder how the former would have turned out. Not that I'm complaining though. It was clearly worth choosing Kid Icarus just for Palutena and Pit themselves.

Project Sora are clearly talented, I hope we see them working on something cool after.

edit
Also, are all the main villains female? Based on the dialogue it seems Hades is a girl. Surprised at how many strong females are in the cast. Medusa, Palutena, Virdi, and Hades.

Hades
is not a girl. There are many male villains here.

Neiteio

Project Sora are clearly talented, I hope we see them working on something cool after.
They're working on Smash Bros. 3DS and Smash Bros. WiiU next. Two projects at once. I remember Sakurai said he began research for the games in February. I also remember that last year, when the twin Smashes were announced, Sakurai said his plan of attack developing them would start with Sora porting Brawl to the 3DS and WiiU. From there they will rebuild the assets, using Brawl as a base. That will keep the software engineers busy as the artists rework character designs and create new characters and levels in preproduction. I don't think it's impossible we could see a teaser trailer or at least some target render footage at this year's E3 as a hype injection for WiiU (much like the Brawl teaser before Wii).

But yes, after the two Smashes, the sky's the limit. A Kid Icarus sequel on WiiU? Another title altogether, perhaps? Who knows. :)

I'm left-handed. I either have the option of using a Circle Pad Pro and stylus in left hand or stand and stylus in right hand, correct? Has there been a way of play established amongst us left-handed gaffers that I missed?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'm left-handed. I either have the option of using a Circle Pad Pro and stylus in left hand or stand and stylus in right hand, correct? Has there been a way of play established amongst us left-handed gaffers that I missed?
You can also play it Sin and Punishment style: aim the reticle with the circle pad and move with the face buttons!#stillhyped

Neiteio

Nice, just got the confirmation that this game will actually be on the stores - where I live - next Friday.
It should be out in store's this Friday (March 23), not next Friday (March 30).

Also, re: whether the story is good: I think it's clear to see the story will be a rollicking good time full of humor and adventure. But don't think it's aiming to be a tear-jerking drama or something, because it's not. It's self-aware and breaks the fourth wall frequently. As FoxHimself said, Pit even remarks about the boss Thanatos, "Wasn't he a snake back in the '80s?" :p

And then the it will be ruined with fan fiction.
game looks great.
If we wanted to go down the SF64 comparison line that it means that Kid Icarus Uprising will be the peak and that the sequels to this game will outsourced and considerably lower quality than the original.

Considering Sakurai had a choice between Starfox and Kid Icarus, it makes me wonder how the former would have turned out. Not that I'm complaining though. It was clearly worth choosing Kid Icarus just for Palutena and Pit themselves.

It's interesting because Star Fox 2 that was developed for the SNES and was basically finished but Nintendo decided not to release had an interesting formula of rail shooting and then doing ground sections as well. Some of which based on footage are slightly reminiscent of KI's ground sections.

Project Sora/Sakurai has already begun working on Smash Bros Wii U/3DS.

Hades
is not a girl. There are many male villains here.
Ah the dialogue was confusing it went:
Pit: We took down Virdi! Now it's time to take down Hades!
Palutena: Not quite, we still have to contend with her forces specifically, Arlos the serene.
Just weird grammar usage that confused me.

EDIT:
Medusa > Viridi > Palutena
in hottnezz
Let's not go down this road...... Instead of furries fan art we'll get reptilian lovers.

Neiteio

I wonder what
Arlos the Serene
looks like? And
Hades
for that matter. And I wonder if
Hades
has any generals, like how Medusa had Thanatos, etc, and
Viridi
has
Arlos
?

So many new Nintendo characters!

Y'know this game? I want all of this.

I like how interest between multiplayer and singleplayer keeps switching for me.
I can't decide what part of this game sounds best to me.

Neiteio

Palutena will definitely be playable in the next Smash Bros. They're making her way too lovable to be just a Final Smash. They will change Pit's superpower to the Three Sacred Treasures (his gladiator form) and make Palutena her own character.

But who else? We all thought Magnus and/or Medusa before, but with the buttload of other characters being revealed, who knows!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
By virtue of the law of moe,
Viridi
> Palutena > Medusa
uh...
ok
Palutena will definitely be playable in the next Smash Bros. They're making her way too lovable to be just a Final Smash. They will change Pit's superpower to the Three Sacred Treasures (his gladiator form) and make Palutena her own character.

But who else? We all thought Magnus and/or Medusa before, but with the buttload of other characters being revealed, who knows!
At least the
three goddesses
have to be playable characters. Smash is too much of a sausage-fest.

FLAguy954

OMG You guys gotta read this: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997768-kid-icarus-uprising/62260756

This is some DEEP fucking insight on the ins and outs of (local) online multiplayer (free-for-all). This game has one of the most extensive fucking metagames I've seen in a long time (Smash Bros. Melee)!

SO HYPED!!

Here's a piece of what the user (named Tribee) says:

How to Shutdown an amateur - immediate Claws and Clubs?

With Beam Claws being a Hit Meme and tournament winners being Claws-type, it will be long until online is full of Claws fighters. Personally, Claws is not a bad weapon. Combine with it Speed, Wide Swipes and multiple hits makes an effective weapon. Just like Assassins, Sword Wielders and Duel wielders, Claws is going to be overrated to the max. It would not be long until people shout “Overpowered!”, “Cheap” or “Broken”. So how deal with them? Simple! Clubs.

Clubs are superior at close range and hurts like hell…. Let that Claw idiots come to you and you send them packing. Wow! Now, you have Claws and Clubs everywhere. What about the rest of weapons? Are they useless? Nope. You guys can beat Clubs at a distance. This will lead the early match up as Claws>Range>Clubs>Claws. Well, that is boring…right? Let’s change that for all weapons

By now you realize that Claws are really effective up close. So you think to yourself… “Oh I will attack from range like fighting a Clubs.” Nope! Their Charge Shot fires fast and is quick. They can also close the gap within mini seconds. Once they within melee range, prepare for: 5 hits of death, follow by a Normal Shot as your get up or dash attack into another 5 hit combo, rises and repeat. Sometimes, they will move forward while shoot you until they are in melee range or just run up to slice and dice ya.

“Okay… I will dodge!” Yeah that will work but for all long? Remember, the winners in our tournament were mostly claws-users. You don’t think the other players dodge like crazy to avoid it? “Okay… Tribee what do you suggest?” It is very simple, my friend. Melee attack back! “What?! But I’m orbitars, staff, bows… cannot melee back. It is too weak.” Well duh! But it protects you by “clashing”!

1) Clashing? What is Clashing?
Sakurai is funny yet an intelligent person. He adds the most interesting physics that changes the whole dynamics of the game. I mean this person destroy competitive play with just random tripping. Relax, Clashing isn’t the same with tripping. You have full control of it. What is clashing though? So, what happen when two attacks hit each other like two sword swing collide? They clash and stop between the two motion. Same thing here! When melee attacks collide each one other, they “clash” with each other which neglects damage. I noticed this during matches in LA and thought it was connection problems. However, it occurs multiple times and i concluded it was intentional. When two players “clash” their animation slow down and looks like a brawl of fury is going through as they hammer their L button. They come out damage free. But you have one problem! Claws’ melee does 5 hits while other weapons do 3 hits. Well, did you know you can delay your melee attacks? This makes you still in “clash” animation mode which in turns protects you. Cool huh?

2) Circle Dodge
“So I have to clash all the time?” Nope… sometimes it is best to not clash and use the Circle Dodge instead. “Circle Dodge?” In practice mode, a friend and I discover if you keep your aim on the target and you are 10m away, you will automatically circle dodge when you dash left or right. You can use this to your advantage.

3) Powers.
“Okay, Circle Dodge and Clashing. Anything else?” Haha, of course… you have Powers/abilities/miracles to use. Reflect Barrier doesn’t just deflect shoots, it can block intruders and hurt them too. It was funny to see someone run into it. Status Effects can stun, freeze or petrify. Invisible can make you un-targetable of course you can still be hit. There many more! Just experiment and make your personal build. Try to cover your weakness and buff your strengths. The possibilities are endless.

Good luck soldier!

Reversed

The dialogue makes this game akin to a saturday morning cartoon. Which sounds engaging to me, but unfortunately I dislike the voices.

Conor 419

Banned
I think we definitely have to get a tourney going now chums. Three weeks training from release date and then one of the grandest tournaments that the forum has ever seen.

Azure J

OMG You guys gotta read this: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997768-kid-icarus-uprising/62260756

This is some DEEP fucking insight on the ins and outs of (local) online multiplayer (free-for-all). This game has one of the most extensive fucking metagames I've seen in a long time (Smash Bros. Melee)!

SO HYPED!!

Here's a piece of what the user (named Tribee) says:

That clashing mechanic is something that Sakurai had going as far back as Smash 64. It's really fucking cool and I wonder why more games don't apply the same idea to their combat.

Top Bottom