• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Haha, this game!

Now there are
aliens invading
, and some
superhero/sun god named Pyrrhon
is joining in on the fun, being a totally awesome dick in the process. Oh, and now it's
Aliens vs Palutena/Hades/Viridi/Pyrrhon
So are these
Ancient Aliens
?

Neiteio

Haha, this game!

Now there are
aliens invading
, and some
is joining in on the fun, being a totally awesome dick in the process. Oh, and now it's
I can't keep track of all these different factions, team-ups, betrayltons, double- and triple- and quadruple-crossings. All I know is that it's awesome and absolutely bonkers and insane that the game keeps adding new characters, new groups, new sides to the conflict, and the conflict itself keeps changing. Everything we've seen in pre-release footage... It seems now like it's only a mere portion of the larger picture. Like knowing only about the Young Link portion of OoT.

I can't keep track of all these different factions, team-ups, betrayltons, double- and triple- and quadruple-crossings. All I know is that it's awesome and absolutely bonkers and insane that the game keeps adding new characters, new groups, new sides to the conflict, and the conflict itself keeps changing. Everything we've seen in pre-release footage... It seems now like it's only a mere portion of the larger picture. Like knowing only about the Young Link portion of OoT.

Yep. The "story" is a mess, really. But a fun mess.

Neiteio

Yep. The "story" is a mess, really. But a fun mess.
Any chance you might be able to give us a peak at the following characters:

-
Hades
-
Pyrrhon
-
Aliens

And maybe a better look at
Viridi
and any of the generals of all these new gods and goddesses? (I.E. their equivalent of Thanatos, Hewdraw, etc)

A photo would suffice.

Considering the "twist" of the this game's story, I wonder why Sakurai paced Brawl's story so badly in comparison.

This has nothing to do with the quality of the story itself, but the introduction of new designs/concepts. The new villains in Brawl shouldn't have shown up since the start. I'm pretty sure people would have accepted the original elements of Brawl's adventure mode much better if the game at least started with classic Nintendo enemies and Smash Bros returners (Master Hand) before going over to original enemies.

This Kid Icarus seems to handle everything much better, with the initial focus being centered mostly on classic elements before introducing the all new foes. I hope he also takes this approach in the next Smash.

[/spoiler]

Uh...what?

- I highly doubt Sakurai "paced Brawl's story" in any major respect. He's got a team, he didn't make the game by himself.

-
Brawl has almost no new villains for ages. The plot for the majority of the game is "traditional Nintendo villains do villainous things." Hell we even think Master Hand is behind it all right up to the end.

- Isn't it likely that KI's voice acting, or even just plain dialogue, is a vast improvement over the storytelling in something like Brawl? Wouldn't you say that if KI had the same plot it does but no dialogue, people wouldn't be terribly impressed by it?

- Does anyone really care about the pacing of Brawl's "plot?" People didn't like that it was a long slog of a game that was essentially required to unlock everything easily, but I don't think anyone really cared much about the story. Compare to this game, where plot is central. The Brawl team knew they were making a story mode for a fighting game, and still managed to beat every other fighting game's plot that came before it, by virtue of its character.

Seeing yours and mine RER catchphrase avatars makes me think we should all start sporting Pit and Palutena avatars with their different phrases on it. :)

That would be TITS!

A bit less TITS is the fact that I killed my 3ds last week by drowning it in soda :/
I did send it to Nintendos repair service and hope they will fix it

a) at all
b) until friday

Otherwise I will get myself the pink one lol

Anteo

Haha, this game!

Now there are
aliens invading
, and some

I.. I.. I never.. what?
My god..

NeonZ

Uh...what?

- I highly doubt Sakurai "paced Brawl's story" in any major respect. He's got a team, he didn't make the game by himself.

He worked alongside the person brought to be the writer. So, yes, I'm pretty sure he was very influential in that component - even if not in actually designing stages and such (according to the credits it seems to be mostly outsourced), the general flow came from him.

-
Brawl has almost no new villains for ages. The plot for the majority of the game is "traditional Nintendo villains do villainous things." Hell we even think Master Hand is behind it all right up to the end.

Huh...
All the ancient minister forces? All the random new bosses that pop up among traditional Nintendo foes? I just think they shouldn't have been thrown right in the beginning, randomly, among classic elements that people actually recognized. There was just no pacing or order to the introductions.

Compare it to this, where the game initially seems to be showing the classic conflict before going in a bunch of random tangents. Brawl should actually have limited itself to Nintendo characters and enemies for some stages, before introducing the whole Subspace army. It'd have done wonders to help it get accepted by the people playing the game.

- Isn't it likely that KI's voice acting, or even just plain dialogue, is a vast improvement over the storytelling in something like Brawl? Wouldn't you say that if KI had the same plot it does but no dialogue, people wouldn't be terribly impressed by it?

- Does anyone really care about the pacing of Brawl's "plot?"

Like I said before, I'm not talking about the actual "quality" of the story and writing, only the organization and method use to introduce original elements vs classic elements.

Conor 419

Banned
More than fucking anything I want Pit to be about to defuse a bomb that's about to blow up the planet, only to hear

"Can't let you do that, Starfox"

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Guys, it's basically Kid Icarus Lagann. Even the "Uprising" part can be connected to the desire for reaching the limit, piercing the Heavens.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Another question that just sprang to mind: I know the multiplayer mode will fill out the rest of the roster with bots if you don't have a full set of players, but can you play it on your own against the bots, like you can in Star Fox 3DS?

guek

Banned
So I'm not getting a 3DS until some time in May but I want to go out and buy this game on day 1 in order to support its launch numbers.

Does this make me a crazy person?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So I'm not getting a 3DS until some time in May but I want to go out and buy this game on day 1 in order to support its launch numbers.

Does this make me a crazy person?

At this point, just think that March is the new May, and go to buy the console too XD

Neiteio

Another question that just sprang to mind: I know the multiplayer mode will fill out the rest of the roster with bots if you don't have a full set of players, but can you play it on your own against the bots, like you can in Star Fox 3DS?
I believe Rich at IGN confirmed on his Twitter that yes, you can play the multiplayer mode in single-player if you wish, just you and five bots.

hatchx

Banned
I believe Rich at IGN confirmed on his Twitter that yes, you can play the multiplayer mode in single-player if you wish, just you and five bots.

I'm wondering if there are team mechanics. I know it has the 3 vs 3 mode, but can it be me and bro VS 4 bots?

Vidiot

So I was cool waiting for Friday to get here to give this game a go and then I read a couple of spoilers and now I'm super hyped and can't wait. :(

zroid

Banned
The music is really well made in this game. Best soundtrack on the console so far, in my opinion.

Even based on just the relatively small amount I've heard so far, no arguments from me. The music's fantastic! Only game that may surpass it is Theatrhythm, and that's not exactly a fair comparison. :)

Neiteio

No spoilers here, just a little bit of FUNKY music. The music is really well made in this game. Best soundtrack on the console so far, in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiDgdJ0QV1w
Groovy! Also, I can see you've grown quite attached to the Twinbellows Cannon. Don't forget to try the other weapons out! :)

Btw, what's that battery icon in the upper right corner, by the score? Is that an onscreen indicator of the juice left in your system so you don't have to hit the Home button?

Chums, can you confirm if the announcement trailer music's in the game?
The joyfully triumphant version of the main Kid Icarus theme from the original E3 2010 reveal? I'd like to know this as well.

Anteo

The Twinbellows battle theme (linked above) is what I think of when I think of this game. I love it. It's a Mitsuda track, right? (Chrono Trigger, etc)

Yeah, that's Mitsuda work. And yes, I too think about that battle theme when thinking about this game. I think it's because of the Medusa trailer.

Edit : Wait, so it's not a generic boss battle theme, but Twinbellows battle theme? So other bosses have other themes? That's awesome.

Azure J

Haha, this game!

Now there are
aliens invading
, and some

Sakurai working on Darkstalkers 4 confirmed. :lol

Top Bottom