• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Love everything except for the ground controls which are absolute ass.
I have hand cramp for the first time in owning the 3DS since launch.
Not allowing use of the second stick of the CCP is ludicrous.

As for the game though..... Amazing!

Ragus

Banned
So, I've spent 3250 star points on those cards.

tumblr_l1p6a9yk9I1qz4sm0o1_500.png

wsippel

Banned
What is it with Nintendo and awesome, trolling female side characters? Anyway, I hope the game is so successful that Nintendo contracts Shaft to do a 13 or 26 episode anime starring Palutena and her sidekick Pit.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Like you said pre-edit, it'll be until next week until I can lol. But I'd still rather wait for the CPP to arrive than have an inferior experience with this seemingly great game.

Haha well hopefully it's not TOO inferior. I need to play this game NOW.

Just got my text from GS.
Can't wait for work to end tomorrow.

AH-HA!!! I'm picking it up tomorrow morning, take that Right-Handers!

:p

I'm assuming you're right handed Ace. :)

Bought it yeasterday and beated up to level 5. The game is pretty amazing.

Pros:
-The banter is delicious, the spanish translation is as campy and good as the english dialog, but this also adds a thing to the cons.
-The graphics are sometimes gorgeous.
-The 3D pops out really nicely, atlhough I would have like and option to make it more aparent like in RE Revalations
-The music is just amazing. Really, really good.
-The multiplayer works flawlessly, had any problems nor any lag.
-SO MANY THINGS TO DO! (hundreds of weapons and equipment managment, is just nuts)

Normal:
-The controls click at the end, but they are not perfect.

Cons:
-There is no european laguages dub, something I would have preferred with a game like this. Not that im hating the english voices, but even knowing english pretty well the dialog goes sometimes too fast and you can lose some of the jokes becuase of the frantic action in the upper screen. Star Fox had a great and cartoony spanish dub, RE Revelation had a better spanish dub than the english version. I really thought, as its pretty hard to watch the two screens at the same time, that NoE would had dubbed the game, just as they did with Star Fox (having the same type of problem), so its a pitty to not have an option to hear it in my language. Even having the subs in the upper screen they are not really visible, and its a pity because the spanish translated script is as campy as the english dialogs, with new jokes and typycal spanish phrases so they have a meaning in spanish.
And thats me, that understands english, i cant wrap my head someone that doesnt know shit trying to play AND trying to read the subs.
-The car controls are shit. Was it that difficult to make the control different with automatic camera when you got inside a vehicle, just like in any game were you drive? Its not like you can shoot were you are looking like the MAKO for example.

Ok more detailed:
about bash moves
pit: hmmm.. This move sounds familiar
pal: wasn't it a game called "mega bash sister"
pit: hey nah, it was "super smash bros"!
pal: hmm..yeah...whatever

somethin along those lines. But man they are both one liner-miniguns. Holy hell!

Add too that:

about bash moves
pit: hmmm.. This move sounds familiar
pal: wasn't it a game called "mega bash sister"
pit: hey nah, it was "super smash bros"!
pal: No it wasnt.
pit: Im pretty sure it was named like that.

pal: hmm..yeah...whatever

I dont know why but Palutena thinking that she was right deniying it two times and then treating Pit like crazy made me laugh pretty hard.

moozoom

Thanks for the replies. I'm asking because I'll use the Circle pad Pro, and I don't know how well both acessories will work together.

Hell, I don't even know if I can use them at the same time. :D

Well I tried, (lefty) but the round part under the CC pro makes the stand pretty useless.

Without the CC pro, the stand is surprisingly nice to use, I think i'll use it for long MK 7 sessions.

You can flip it actually. You can also change the sensitivity (best way for me to describe it).

Yeah, I played around with it. Unfortunetly, it seems to change both camera and aiming and I realised I prefer different controls for the two options. I doubt there's a way to fix it, but...?

I play without the stand using my small finger for the same role. Sure, it hurts a little bit, but I can put the console more comfortably.

I actually don't find it uncomfortable at all to hold the stylus - my biggest problem is my left hand which is holding the actual unit (I played chapter 3 in bed without the stand). I have slightly larger than average hands, btw.

Are you using the face buttons for moving?

Is Pit's movement analog or is it basically WASD mapped onto analog pad.

No no, I think I can play this without the CPP, but I might get it in a few weeks and see if I notice any difference.

Third chapter is good. The game is so frantic, even on the lower difficulties that I cannot wait to try it on 8 or 9, although I suspect I will die a lot. It looks quite beautiful as well, although sometimes I notice significantly lower resolution textures on the floors (Like the first part of the land section in chapter 3). I have to say that I enjoy the flying sections much more than the land sections, but that's not to say I'm not enjoying the land sections, either. They're still quite fun, just not as fun as flying. I'm getting more used to the controls too, I'm hoping they'll fully click when I try playing chapter 4 at lunch.

I went back and replayed chapter one on 3.1 instead of the standard 2.0. I noticed the difference, too. I'm only going by the 'recommended' increases so far (as I tend to suck at games like this ... well, Star Fox) but I'm not having any trouble. They seem to be going up .5 or so per chapter, for me.

Did we ever get confirmation of there being
chapters?

hatchx

Banned
Oh, that does look purdy. I will see how I go (esp. as it's unavailable right now). It's not too bad, but holding the thing in one hand and controlling the L-button and slide pad at the same time was just a little uncomfortable after a while.

I have big hands too and that is my biggest gripe with the system. It's only 12 bucks, I can't recommend that add-on enough. It has rubber grips and even has a 'leg' come out on the back that operates as a stand.

I tried playing KIU without the grip and I had the same problem as you.

Spike

Just wanted to let the card collectors know that the Game Informer magazine in the local EB has the card in there. So, it is not only for subscribers.

Hopefully the new Nintendo Power also follows this route.

why does Palutena have to have stockings? Why? Why these horrible shoes covering her delicious feet, while game reeks of bare male feet? Why?

why can't she be like Solange, why

Jetku

Got my copy tonight at the national tournament.

My cards are:
Pit
Palutena
Dark pit
Three-headed Hedraw
Violet Palm
Stackjaw

Can they really be that random...?

Kid Icarus: Uprising is having a very good reception in Japan.
At least in JP's Amazon, the user reviews are very good.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B004K6L0G8/

1 star review:

I felt ill with the 3D on, which didn't happen in Monster Hunter.

2 star reviews:
1. Game is interesting, fun and full of features, but it took time to get used to the unique controls. Difficult to play without the stand. Would have preferred on Wii.

2. Good graphics, difficulty system is good, but controls are tiring. Using the stand helps, but it's a portable game. Should have come out for Wii or redone the controls. Dialogue and stages are boring. Online players are Pit and a few colour change costumes for soldiers, should have allowed for customization.

3. Was really looking forward to it. Graphics are good, but camera and controls were impossible. Wanted camera controls like Monster Hunter. Really only had fun with the AR card battles.

backlot

My tracking info just updated and my game is now less than a 2 hour drive away! It's really gonna suck when UPS still doesn't deliver it until after 7 PM tomorrow.

I forgot to say (I'm sure everyone was waiting!!)! By pure serendipity I fulfilled my goal and completed the KI street pass puzzle right before I popped the game in for the first time. Puzzle is pretty cool too, as far as they go (My fav is still the
Rhythm Heaven
one though).

Top Bottom