• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Pietepiet

I'd kill for a Medusa card (if it exists).
It exists. I got one in my 24 card pack. Got extremely lucky apparently. No doubles between my cards that came with the game and this 24 card preorder. And got a ton of cool ones like Dark Pit, Palutena and Medusa :D

It's kind of exciting to collect cards again, haha. Also, the idols in the game add an icon when you scan the corresponding card it seems, so there's a reason to collect them even if you have the in-game idol already :)

Giolon

It exists. I got one in my 24 card pack. Got extremely lucky apparently. No doubles between my cards that came with the game and this 24 card preorder. And got a ton of cool ones like Dark Pit, Palutena and Medusa :D

It's kind of exciting to collect cards again, haha. Also, the idols in the game add an icon when you scan the corresponding card it seems, so there's a reason to collect them even if you have the in-game idol already :)

WTF? Where do you get a 24 card pack? I neeeeeed!

So, I have but one gripe for this game so far.

You can remove the HUD from the top screen when paused, but you can't take pictures!

Sakuraaaaaaaaaaaaai!

So, I have but one gripe for this game so far.

You can remove the HUD from the top screen when paused, but you can't take pictures!

Sakuraaaaaaaaaaaaai!

Yes, exactly! I was just trying to do this and I was so disspointed. It's a wonderful game just to stand back and look at!

Cardwise I got:

Pit
Palutena
Medusa
Three Headed Hewdraw
Mik
Crusher Arm

My Bf got

Pit, Palutena, and Medusa
Twinbellows
Monoeye
Twin Orbitars

ffdgh

Guys, I can't confirm it yet, but it looks like the game includes the rumoured
levels. The way it plays out, it felt like it was going to end on level
but by god it keeps going!

This game is a fuckin' beast!

well it is his
25th
anniversary :p

Wizpig

This game, I don't even...

The last time Nintendo did a game like this was Star Fox 64.

I'm crying here.
Jesus christ the OST is beautiful, the gameplay is solid, even the main menu has gameplay... I... don't know what to say.

Why should i list everything that I like, it's quicker to just list some minor things i don't like:

-The short music of the game in the 3DS dashboard is straight from Kid Icarus 3D Classics (lol)
-and that's it

In all seriousness, i love everything so far, i tried the online multiplayer and while i'm sure it's not like offline (no game is) it looks pretty solid, nothing Brawl-ish, maybe someone who played more than me online can confirm this? let's talk about this, now that we tried it.

Another little thing is that, well, i'm pretty sure some weapon classes will be stronger than others.
I won 3 FFA matches online with a strong weapon.

Shiggie

Wooh! man I picked it up after classes today and im having a blast. I did two quick online matches and kicked some ass. It took me about 3 minutes to get used to the controls and now, Im having too much fun. I have a paper due tomorrow so I cant play all night :(

olimpia84

Finished chapter 2 and loved it; this game keeps getting better and better. I also decided to give the online mode a try. Man, it's confusing as hell...I died a bunch of times yet my team (Dark) managed to win both rounds.

So this game has so much charm. And as corny as it is, it wouldn't be the same without the constant banter. I just finished the first two levels and I'm kind of addicted. This might be my favorite 3DS release so far.

So many weapons to try out, and the unlocking, and idols, and fusing, and the dialogue, oh the dialogue!

My favorite's so far:

"Ah, G-Force my faaaaaace!"

*Palutena defending a human like Magnus*
Magnus: "Tell your goddess she's sleeping on the job"
Palutena: "You're right, he's a jerk"

:lol

Hylian7

I got my game a few hours ago, been playing it and am on chapter 4 so far. I'm using Sin & Punishment style controls (ABXY to move pit, Circle pad for reticule). I tried the standard Circle Pad + touch screen. It seems okay and allows you to move the reticule quicker, but ultimately I think I'll still stick to Sin & Punishment controls. Any way to do the "flick" thing you can do with the touch screen with the circle pad though?

Teknoman

Am I doing this right, NeoGAF?

O3RuD.jpg

Wow man, you've still got the original NES and GB boxes? Wish I had classic box art appreciation in mind back in the day.

Just finished chapter 18. HOLY SHIT, THE PLOT TWISTS.
(BIG SPOILERS AHOY)
Pyrrhon taking over the Aurum was good enough, but then the ring, and possessing Magnus, and fighting yourself, and Palutena going all evil... I'm gripped, I really am.

I was anticipating cheesy dialogue and a boilerplate plot. Instead I got the best dialogue in games for years, and an incredibly surprising, intriguing plot.

I haven't even tried the multiplayer, which was my most anticipated feature. LOVE THIS GAME.

Oh, and my cards:
Pit
Palutena
Magnus
Dark Pit
First Blade
Slackjaw

Happy to get Magnus. Dude is awesome.

hatchx

Banned
I got my game a few hours ago, been playing it and am on chapter 4 so far. I'm using Sin & Punishment style controls (ABXY to move pit, Circle pad for reticule). I tried the standard Circle Pad + touch screen. It seems okay and allows you to move the reticule quicker, but ultimately I think I'll still stick to Sin & Punishment controls. Any way to do the "flick" thing you can do with the touch screen with the circle pad though?

No but you can set 'R' to re centre the camera. Can be a big advantage over the flick depending how you use it.

clemenx

Banned
Got my paycheck today but my local store didn't have it today. Maybe on monday they told me. I almost spent my monies on RE:R which I didn't buy on launch but I plan to get it eventually.

Will have to wait :(

NeoRausch

OH! Ohohohooohhhoooohhoo! NOW i see why everybody seems to love Stage 4. Goddam me, that was fucking awesome!
dat tron/rez style meets crazy ass jazzy electro tunes
Are there going to be more totally "of the track"-style stages? I mean... I love the landscapes and all...but man, if Stage 4 wasn't the nicest kick in the face the last weeks i've had.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Just finished Chapter Three.

Wow! The production values in this game are sky-freaking-high. Everything just shines with quality. The menus, the opening cutscene, the voice-overs, the graphics. Everything just has superb presentation; something you don't really get from most handheld games. Heck, I love Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7; but really, those are games where you basically turn the system on and jump in a level. This just feels so much more "full-featured." Especially when you consider all the bonus stuff I haven't even dabbled into, yet.

Gameplay wise, I'll start off with the good: First off, the sense of speed in flight is awesome. It really feels like you're absolutely hauling ass at certain moments. Does this game run at 60fps in 3D mode, too? It certainly feels like it. And if not, I have to commend the developers, because I'm pretty picky about framerates. Everything is silky smooth. Also, there's been a ton of variety so far. Lots of enemies, a few bosses, sky combat and ground combat. And the dialogue is fantastic. It really feels like a childhood cartoon ... in the absolute best sense you can imagine.

But yeah, controls are pretty iffy. They're not "bad" by any means; and I don't know how they could be much better on the system - because, honestly, I don't think dual-analog would benefit the game much at all. The pinpoint accuracy of the stylus is absolutely necessary. But, yeah, it's a bit tough to strafe and shoot in the game, and keeping the 3D sweetspot can be a challenge. It definitely shouldn't prevent you from picking up what is, so far, an otherwise amazing title. But I can understand some reviewers' complaints. Hopefully it'll get better as I go along!

Busaiku

Ok, so after 4.5 hours or so of play, I can definitely say the controls are never a problem.
I got them down within the first 20 or 30 minutes.

I do keep dying a lot at 7.0 though.
5.0/6.0 aren't a problem however.

Only managed to get through Chapter 4 cause I keep trying 7.0...

Played through the first chapter and a few free for all games placing 6th, 4th, and 4th.
Enjoying the game so far. The Dialogue is hilarious. I'm still getting used to the controls, but I'm still having alot of fun.

Cards:
Pit
Palutena
Magnus
Dark Lord Gaol
Violet Palm
Stackjaw

Bullza2o

I'm interested if GAF plays this in 3D and how strong they set it on.

I do max 3D when doing solo mode, but online I do low 3D or just 2D.

Dreweyes

Club Nintendo (of America) worked like a charm, achieved Platinum Status! (every year since it started too lol)

Cards from the game box:
• Pit
• Palutena
• Medusa, Queen of the Underworld
• Dark Lord Gaol
• First Blade
• Stackjaw

Is there a way of knowing the rarity of the cards? Is there a good list online? Thanks!

so the cards you get in the case are random? they seemed fairly standard in mine

Pit
Palutena
Medusa, Queen of the Underworld
Dark Lord Gaol
Oar Club
Mik

I'm not even sure what they're used for

Top Bottom