• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Busaiku

Oh yeah, my cards are...
Pit
Palutena
Medusa, Queen of the Underwold
Three-Headed Hewdraw
Insight Staff
Mik

Man, so not only do Japan and Europe get the chance to get more cards, their booster pack packaging is so much better.

I'm interested if GAF plays this in 3D and how strong they set it on.

I do max 3D when doing solo mode, but online I do low 3D or just 2D.

Why would you lower it online? Turning it off might help frame rate and performance, but lowering it won't. Once it's in 3D mode it's rendering 2 images, the slider just affects the camera angles.

OmegaZero

I'm having trouble dodging in the Aerial Battles.
I know you're supposed to press a direction, then the opposite one immediately, but it only works half of the time.

Is there a cool-down period or something?

Boogiepop

Wait, the cards in box are random?
I got:
Pit
Palutena
Dark Pit
Three-Headed Hewdraw
Tiger Claws
Monoeye

Also, anyone using Circle Pad Pro with this? Or I guess just right handed people with the normal pad. I'm wondering how much better the controls feel with that? After a little hands on, at the very least diagonals feel a little funny using the directions to move. Considering placing an order for the Circle Pad from Nintendo.

Edit: Nintendo World had an incredibly exclusive card, and Game Informer has a card in it too? Geez. Any chance those cards are also going to be in the packs? For that matter, how much will packs cost, and how many of these cards are there?

Busaiku

I know you're supposed to press a direction, then the opposite one immediately, but it only works half of the time.

The aerial battles have dodging?
I thought you "dodged" just by scrolling around.
Boogiepop said:
Wait, the cards in box are random?
Out of a possible 20.

NeoRausch

Oh yeah aerial is my weakspot to. I can't get it to work. Any tips?

methodman

Banned

the only time you can dodge in aerial battles, irrc, is when your in "glide mode" which is when your shot is charged up. pit changes his stance as he's flying and you're able to dodge at that point.

la_briola

my 30 cards:

mNH7Nh.jpg

0t6WGh.jpg

k4PeOh.jpg

fullsize here: http://imgur.com/a/h0V7r

maybe they can be scanned from the monitor

edit: yeah... crappy camera :(

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
The game is certainly fun, but I'm currently having two problems:

1) Controls still feel awkward (although I assume this gets better)

2) I feel like I have no idea what's going on during a good chunk of the ground battles. I get alerts that I've picked up nifty-sounding items, but I guess they must be "temporary powers" or something as I appear to have nothing in my inventory later.

The game is chaotic, and I think that's good... I just need to figure it out.

I'm not 100% sure of this but did anyone notice the Meteos reference?

There's Item called X-bomb, or Cross-Bomb. Anyway, this was also an item in Meteos as well!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Still debating a purchase. I HATED Metroid Prime Hunters stylus play, and already find the 3DS one of the most uncomfortable machines I've had the displeasure of using. Any impressions with the circle pad Pro? May consider buying that stupid device if the game is truly as good as GAF implies.

Also, is the included stand really useful for comfort?

NeoRausch

I went through it, I don't remember that at all.
What's up with that.
You can do afast evading move by flicking the slider from one side to the other. (do abarrel roll) movent is a little bit like mario kart ds mini slide turbos.

i can't really pull it of by default. So no use for me till i get a better sense of how it works.

PKrockin

Still debating a purchase. I HATED Metroid Prime Hunters stylus play, and already find the 3DS one of the most uncomfortable machines I've had the displeasure of using. Any impressions with the circle pad Pro? May consider buying that stupid device if the game is truly as good as GAF implies.

Also, is the included stand really useful for comfort?

The Circle Pad Pro can't be used for dual analog. You shouldn't buy it for this game unless you're a lefty. There is a control option that lets you move with ABXY and aim with the left slider so that's your best bet if you can't stand using the stylus.

daffy

Banned
Ummm, I think the cards are worthless you guys. They're just crappy AR cards. I yanked one thinking they would unlock something. Imagine my surprise..

Multiplayer is so unfriendly. And I mean that in terms of being difficult to play with friends. Sigh, I ain't adding no thousands of friend codes dammit.. People are spamming and doing the matrix like its Week 1 Call of Duty. I only played an hour of single player and it was ok. I'm struggling to do 5.0. Probably will get better. Oh and I saw it had my name in the multiplayer preview tuturial. Pretty awesome.

SmithnCo

Just beat chapter 2, I'm really liking it. It looks like there is a lot of content and the gameplay has been fun. The on foot sections' controls aren't as bad as I thought they'd be, in fact I've had little trouble adjusting so far.

The music is damn amazing, and for some reason moving the menu blocks around is oddly satisfying.

Busaiku

Ummm, I think the cards are worthless you guys. They're just crappy AR cards. I yanked one thinking they would unlock something. Imagine my surprise..

Multiplayer is so unfriendly. And I mean that in terms of being difficult to play with friends. Sigh, I ain't adding no thousands of friend codes dammit.. People are spamming and doing the matrix like its Week 1 Call of Duty. I only played an hour of single player and it was ok. I'm struggling to do 5.0. Probably will get better. Oh and I saw it had my name in the multiplayer preview tuturial. Pretty awesome.

YOU'RE WORTHLESS

my wireless sucks so my light and dark fights keep dropping off it seems fun :( so on online for me for a while yet

so I need to find other ways to win some weapons

I keep repeating level 1-4 on higher intensity

but when I fuse I seem to make crap

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The Circle Pad Pro can't be used for dual analog. You shouldn't buy it for this game unless you're a lefty. There is a control option that lets you move with ABXY and aim with the left slider so that's your best bet if you can't stand using the stylus.

Haha nice. They included 1.2 control scheme in this game! My preferred Goldeneye layout.

So what does the second analog do when not playing lefty with it attached?

Wizpig

@ EurGAF:

So, every european country gets the same English box for the game? even if you are NOT in the UK?
I mean the full package back AND the actual game box, they are in English for me.

Also Sakurai will save the videogame industry, best game ever, I rate Jim Sterling 3 out of 10, etc.

The hell? That's a negative for you?!

NES music to introduce a 3DS game = awesome.
Only because it was recycled, the idea is awesome

Grrr! Take that Reapers!
:D
Man, it's 8 already?!
Damn, I love those games that just suck time away from you!

Also, tried a LvD game (CPU only) Kinda hard.

Haha nice. They included 1.2 control scheme in this game! My preferred Goldeneye layout.

So what does the second analog do when not playing lefty with it attached?

Circle Pad Pro just mirrors commands:

Left analog = Right analog on the CPP
L button = R button on the CPP
R button = L button on the CPP

there's not a 'lefty mode' or anything.

la_briola

@ EurGAF:

So, every european country gets the same English box for the game? even if you are NOT in the UK?

Also Sakurai will save the videogame industry, best game ever, I rate Jim Sterling 3 out of 10, etc.

Only because it was recycled, the idea is awesome

German box:

The front has the pegi sticker (and USK), but the back is in German. The cards are in English, German, Spanish, Italian and French.

Boogiepop

Beat the first 2 bits, having a good bit of fun, and seems like I just need to get used to the control scheme. I think I may be able to get buy without needing to buy the CPP (which is good, as I really don't have the money to justify doing so). Seems like there must be a LOT of weapons in the game, and looking at the prices in the store some of them are nuts. I'm assuming it's not too hard to get more of the lower level weapons, and I should just fuse if I feel like it at this point?

This game doesn't have any one-off weapons I should worry about preserving or anything, does it?

zroid

Banned
I HATE YOU EUROPEANS/CANADIANS
Man, I want that Souflee...

AND BOTH WIZARDS
AUGH I HATE YOU NOA

Sigh. Don't hate Canadians. I got nothing, even though I was promised extra cards for pre-ordering. Not a damn thing... not the 3D Classic either...

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Okay, we just got our copy. My only initial impression is:

SO MUCH. STUFF. SO MUCH.

Fuck Sakurai, you like GAMES FULL OF STUFF.

Can't say about the ground controls yet, though they do make sense to me. Got to get good with it. Then weigh in.

Anyway.

STUFF.

Tunic

GeFv8.jpg

Just picked up the game from Best Buy.

For the AR cards I received:
Pit
Palutena
Magnus
Three-Headed Hewdraw
Ore Club
Mik

I love that Nintendo decided to include the box art inside the game box finally for a US 3DS release. Looks fantastic! Now time to play!

I played for about an hour. The game is a lot of fun and the dialogue is great. The circle pad + stylus controls work fine, but I just wish the reticule moved 1:1 with my stylus. That's really a fault of the system having 2 differently sized screens though. They couldn't make every inch of the touchscreen correspond to one on the top because they're 2 different sizes. I tried the circle pad aiming and it worked really well. I think they could have made dual analog sticks work with using R to turn or something. Circle pad aiming is kind of like playing Turok on N64 and button aiming is like playing Goldeneye.

I was getting kind of far in 3D Classics Kid Icarus before UPS got here. That game gets much easier when you beat the first 3 stages.

Top Bottom