• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Darryl

Banned
they let you adjust EVERYTHING. i just got around to experimenting with the reticle menu, and they really went all out. if anyone is having control complaints, i would suggest playing around with this before you go about switching to s&p mode.

gloone

The fact that the game supports input from the cpp but won't let me use it still piss me off.

I mean there is a control setting to use A/B/X/Y to aim so why is there not one to use second analog controller? That's just plain stupid.

Tuck

Impressions:

Graphics are great.

I love Pit's voice. He's a cool character. The girl's voice stumbles at times however. I like their constant conversations.

Flying segments and ground segments are both fun, but the controls are weird. I hope I'll get used to them.

Tried online. It was shockingly smooth and fast, though I sucked at it. Not used to the controls at all.

Nice music.

I really like Sakurai's way of doing achievements (SSBB and this). I really hope Nintendo, if they ever decide to do achievements across all their games, implement it like this and Smash Bros.

gloone

they let you adjust EVERYTHING. i just got around to experimenting with the reticle menu, and they really went all out. if anyone is having control complaints, i would suggest playing around with this before you go about switching to s&p mode.

Except for the one logic option that is.

gloone

Because you'd never survive anything higher than intensity 7 trying to spin the camera around that way ooooohhhh GOD THERE'S A JITTERTHUG BEHIND MEEEE!

But you're supposed to be able to do that by controlling the cross hair with with the A/B/X/Y-buttons? Why else is that control scheme supported?

I played for about 5 hours today. I was worried that me being left handed would make playing the game frustrating but I can actually use the default controls quite well. The default controls are uncomfortable so I ended up preferring the slide pad for movement and buttons for aiming (I cranked the turning speed up pretty high to compensate). I tried to use the buttons for movement and the slide pad for aiming but for some reason I can't physically do that. I guess the years of my left thumb controlling my characters made me this way. Everything started to click at around the
Pandora
level. Pretty awesome game so far. I played a few rounds online, its chaotic as hell but I had fun.
Since everyone else is posting what cards they got I might as well do the same:
Pit
Palutena
Dark Pit
Insight Staff
Twinbellows the Ferocious
Mik

I also had the Power of Flight card from Game Informer.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Free for all is fucking impossible. So much shit was happening on the screen I thought I was going to have a seizure. Brought back memories of 4-player Power Stone 2 matches, though. Not sure if that's good or not.

mu-chan

Neo Member
But you're supposed to be able to do that by controlling the cross hair with with the A/B/X/Y-buttons? Why else is that control scheme supported?

Seriously though... Sakurai tweeted and one point that he only learned of the CPP very late in the game's development. I'm assuming it was just too late to incorporate it at a level up to his standards.

Or my other theory... He put ABXY control in the just to prove everyone right--that the stylus controls are godly and you don't deserve to survive past intensity 7 if you don't put the effort into mastering them.

Good games Medley, now I'll go cry in a corner.

Don't feel too bad! I was honestly spamming the wonderful laser and planting bombs.

Then I found my weapons for the moment, violet palm. That I got for getting inside the 5.0
door in the first chapter. Really, don't feel bad, I bet you unlocked like 15 things from all those battles too!

gloone

Seriously though... Sakurai tweeted and one point that he only learned of the CPP very late in the game's development. I'm assuming it was just too late to incorporate it at a level up to his standards.

Or my other theory... He put ABXY control in the just to prove everyone right--that the stylus controls are godly and you don't deserve to survive past intensity 7 if you don't put the effort into mastering them.

Unless Nintendo are to blame and the devkit for ccp is damn near impossible to use it shouldn't take more than an hour of development time to allow us to use the second analog stick instead of ABXY.

Back to my first question: has any 3ds game been patched after release? Is it even possible to apply patches to retail games through eshop? I know there's DLC out for Theatrhythm now but that's probably just new data and not a patch for the actual game.

Prinny

Don't feel too bad! I was honestly spamming the wonderful laser and planting bombs.

Then I found my weapons for the moment, violet palm. That I got for getting inside the 5.0
door in the first chapter. Really, don't feel bad, I bet you unlocked like 15 things from all those battles too!
I want that kamehameha.

I don't know why I was doing so little damage, the cpu could kill me in 2-3hit but it took 10-20 to kill them.
Maybe I got used to the auto-aim from single player and I can't aim anymore :p

Busaiku

I am loving multiplayer matches so much.
The lag is noticeable, but isn't too bad given the nature of the game.

Also Mega Laser hasn't worked too well for me in multiplayer, but I've gotta try it out in the story.

Was thinking about picking this game up and happened to just spot it at best buy here for only $30. 25% off on launch day is not something I can pass up. I'm glad I got it too, the game is a lot of fun. The banter is hilariously stupid as are all thhe crazy enemy designs. This game is the opposite of serious in tone.

The multiplayer is really good. Lag free thank god. I love the dynamic of Light vs Dark. In my last game I took the last hit and became Pit, and then lead my team to a crazy come from behind victory by just straight up CLEANING HOUSE on some fools. So much fun. This multiplayer mode scratches a particular itch just right for me.

Cards I got were:

Pit
Palutena
Magnus
Dark Lord Gaol
Stack jaw
EZ Cannon

Boogiepop

So good. Finished the third chapter. I really, really like all the throwbacks to the NES game, particularly the sprites on the bottom screen.

Kyou

so is it going to take a while for cards to show up in store?

It's vitally important I find out who I am going to be shoveling handfuls of money at

Bullza2o

Why would you lower it online? Turning it off might help frame rate and performance, but lowering it won't. Once it's in 3D mode it's rendering 2 images, the slider just affects the camera angles.
I lower it not for framerate but to make it easier on my eyes. 3v3 battles are quite hectic and I can get a headache easily if lots of flashes keep coming in 3D.

I love how the "rooms" are set up. They're basically a party, and you'll always be with your party if you search for other random players to join.

branny

I love how you can play the multiplayer with bots. And I love how you get stuff while you fight, too. Matches are a disorienting clusterfuck of pyrotechnics and sound effects all over the place--I wouldn't have it any other way. It really does feel like 3D Smash Bros.

My right hand (movement) is starting to hurt, but it's the same 3DS pain I get when the corner digs into my palm.

Btw how exactly do you do the dash around to get behind an enemy? Do you have to be in melee range?
You have to be nearby, and you have to have the stylus on the touchscreen. There's no way to do this with the circle pad aiming option unless you use your left thumb to hold the touchscreen while you dash with the face buttons.

Gino

The only time I turn 3d off is if it isn't working, like I'd I ant play with it in the sweet spot, or if there is glare on the screen.

The 3-D in this game is awesome, everyone should play with it if you can.

The depth perception added is extremely useful in this game. It just makes since to play with it on.

Anyone try it in game, at least on a fairly large enemy?

You have to be firing at the enemy and then dodge. I think you have to be kind of close too.

I haven't tried intensity 7 or above, but you guys throw this argument around as if flicking the stylus across the screen was super accurate. You'd probably get more accurate results from a button that turned you 45 degrees or something.

Codeblue

Wound up with:

Pit
Palutena
Dark Pit
Three-Headed Hewdraw
Insight Staff
and Mik

In addition to the Club Nintendo cards (Palutena (rare), Great Reaper, and Drill Arm).

Can't wait to dive in.

I'm having more problem with dodging than aiming, especially in air sections. It would've been nice if I could assign dodge to a button like in Sin and Punishment.

seriously I hope there is a major secret giving hearts to her, it says it does nothing it would be cool for that to be a troll

okay right now I need a guide for fusing weapons and the best weapons to have

I'm not even advancing my levels going back to find more weapons even purchasing some

Bullza2o

Wound up with:

Pit
Palutena
Dark Pit
Three-Headed Hewdraw
Insight Staff
and Mik

In addition to the Club Nintendo cards (Palutena (rare), Great Reaper, and Drill Arm).

Can't wait to dive in.
My Club Nintendo cards better come tomorrow before I leave for college...

SmithnCo

hooray, amazon refunded me ten bucks

Really? Did they price match? Nice.

Anyway, up to chapter 4 now. I played some of the MP and wasn't really feeling it initially, maybe Ill play more later, because I'm more addicted to the main game now.

I'll keep feeding hearts to Palutena... Hopefully there is a reward for it. :p

Kyou

How?! they didn't for me... what did you say to them?

I told them it was unfair to be punished for preordering through them when I could just go into a retailer and get it day one for less.

Subtly implying you have better options elsewhere scares anyone into giving you money

gloone

Using the stylus to aim and the analog controller to move Pit around works fine but adding a finger somewhere to shoot is messing it all up.

It's so annoying knowing how much I would love this game if it only supported the cpp like it should do.

SmithnCo

One thing: I wish the powers showed on the top screen. Looking at the bottom for which one you have is hard when you're surrounded by dudes.

Chesskid1

Banned
i tried all the control schemes and hated them all.

played the first chapter 3x and it was amazing, looked amazing. just the controls are killing it for me :( everything else about this game oozes quality though.

god... hopefully it's just a big learning curve but i hate them atm.

gloone

I'm just amazed they actually released the game like this.

I would understand if they had no cpp support at all but this is.. unbelievable.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Dammit GAF.

I'm this close to ignoring my work and going out and buying this tomorrow. You all make this game sound so good and packed with content.

How's the difficulty?

Top Bottom