• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer is Dead (PC) |OT| F*** Off Into Space!

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

ixXHsP90flYxv.png

imcE7A02eXSzW.png

ibivUi3wWAQzl7.png

ibcpj4WqB00YTp.png

Suggestion if the game is having crashes: Right click the game on steam, properties, Local Files tab and click Verify Integrity of Game Cache. After this you may edit the game ini files to your desired framerate and resolution

How To Set The Game to 60FPS and Desired Resolution
1-Go to Program Files(X86)\Steam\SteamApps\Common\KillerIsDead\KidGame\Config
2-Open The File KidEngine.Ini and edit
bsSmoothFramerate=True to False and change the Max Framerate to 60.
4 To have Mika's Massage Heal properly please edit these settings on KidGame.ini:
mRevive_MassageRecoveryRate = 2.6
mRevive_MassageHealtDownRate = 0.98
mRevive_MassageDownPowerMax = 10.0
5- ResX and ResY to change your resolution to your preferences
6- Save edits and enjoy the game

Click on the Gabe Moon for music.

Killer is Dead Secret Files

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
What are the odds of this being poorly optimized

Tizoc

Got this baby for $14ish via Steam Key trading, looking forward to replaying it in 60 FPS and Vsync, dat final battle is gonna be delish X3

Also someone get the Durante Signal ready we may need his assistance.

Subscribed. Looking forward to seeing how this'll do on my crappy laptop, as usual.

EDIT:- The min reqs in the OP are rather funny. Direct X 10 is mentioned but the OS is Windows XP SP2 which most definitely does not support DX10. It's most likely DX9 minimum given that the game is using UE3.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
If I loved Killer7 but hated No More Heroes how should I be feeling

Honestly half and half. The gameplay is very No More Heroes, but the story isn't. If what you hated about No More Heroes was its gameplay, while its not -exactly- the same, it is definitely similar.

The story isn't quite like No More Heroes or Killer7 though, well similar in ways to both, but different. It's a bit zanier than either, but then there's actually a rather serious plot going on that is full of mythology inspirations, deeper symbolism, hidden elements you can figure out, and the like. But almost nothing is explained upfront and you honestly probably won't understand the game on the first playthrough, and because of what the game is like it is easy to pass a lot of it off as nonsense, but there is much more going on here.

Did you happen to try SotD or Lollipop?

What are the odds of this being poorly optimized

50/50, Japanese developer we've never seen do a PC port, but Deep Silver doesn't have terrible PC ports generally. Also it's an Unreal Engine game, so well made for PC and even if the port ends up messy it should be easy enough to tamper with,

Honestly half and half. The gameplay is very No More Heroes, but the story isn't. If what you hated about No More Heroes was its gameplay, while its not -exactly- the same, it is definitely similar.

The story isn't quite like No More Heroes or Killer7 though, well similar in ways to both, but different. It's a bit zanier than either, but then there's actually a rather serious plot going on that is full of mythology inspirations, deeper symbolism, hidden elements you can figure out, and the like. But almost nothing is explained upfront and you honestly probably won't understand the game on the first playthrough, and because of what the game is like it is easy to pass a lot of it off as nonsense, but there is much more going on here.

Did you happen to try SotD or Lollipop?

See I hated the gameplay of NMH. I really enjoyed how Killer7 actually played, it's a unique kind of game in that sense and it really feels like nothing I've played before or since. Whereas NMH was just a third person action game, a genre I'm not overly fussed on.

Think I'll be waiting for a Steam sale then.

Vazra

Subscribed. Looking forward to seeing how this'll do on my crappy laptop, as usual.

EDIT:- The min reqs in the OP are rather funny. Direct X 10 is mentioned but the OS is Windows XP SP2 which most definitely does not support DX10. It's most likely DX9 minimum given that the game is using UE3.

I just copy pasted the steam system requirements. I shall fix that if they change it to the proper requirements.

See I hated the gameplay of NMH. I really enjoyed how Killer7 actually played, it's a unique kind of game in that sense and it really feels like nothing I've played before or since. Whereas NMH was just a third person action game, a genre I'm not overly fussed on.

The gameplay is pretty much an improve version of NMH combat. If that wasnt your cup of tea I guess this might not be it. The story is good tho.

sn00zer

Just beat this the other day on PS3...was a gorgeous fucking terrible game....one of the worst Ive played in a long time..... the final level is literally another level youve played before with slightly new enemies.....and then it ends and you didnt even realize it ended because the story didnt lead up to anything.....oh and the story is the most confusing crap Ive ever played even by Suda standards

Vazra

Could you not spoil things Sn00zer?

The story leads to something but you wont get everything on the first playthrough. Actually the ending its pretty obvious of what happens.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Quoting myself, but my impression of the gameplay from the 360 version:

Gameplay-wise it's most similar to something like No More Heroes of Lollipop Chainsaw. First, I would suggest this to be a game you play on a harder difficulty, it's one of those games that had a sweet difficulty spot for me on Hard, and most agree that Normal and Easy are pretty easy. There was an unlockable difficulty as well, and apparently this PC version is adding another new difficulty level as well. It's a beat-em up, and the enemies that you fight are known as Wires. They often have pretty good shielding, and goal is to either break through their shields or get to an angle to hit them, and then load-out on them, but in a mindful manner. You have a weak, a medium, and a strong sword attack, which you can mix together for different combos, and later on, new attacks. You have a gun that gains new functions later into the game (like turning into a drill or laser), you can throw enemies into the air for aerial combos, like in Lollipop Chainsaw you can stun enemies to make them far easier to kill, you can charge attacks, and can dodge enemy attacks. If you dodge enemy attacks a few split seconds before they hit you, you'll trigger a mode where everything turns black and red and you're given a few seconds to just wail on the enemy with sword strikes. Outside of fighting, the stages do throw things like exploration at you in some stages, segments where the gameplay changes for a bit, bosses, and the like. To be noted is that the bosses are all varied and fun to fight, probably the highlight of the game honestly.

Actually, while I'm doing this, here's my full impression for Killer is dead based off of the 360 release.

ss_e1b4c132cf0ce419591f52a7b4c6440f20ea545f.600x338.jpg

I haven't played it on PC yet obviously, but here was my impressions of Killer is Dead, which I played on the 360 last year.

Killer is Dead is the newest Grasshopper Manufacturer game, with a bit more involvement from Suda51 this time than his last few games, and music composed again by the ex-Silent Hill composer, Akira Yamoaka.

Killer is Dead follows an assassin named Mondo, who's role is that of a mostly level-headed task taker who is a ladies man, but maybe not as cool as he likes to play it off. Killer is Dead is a bit weird, in that the story is deceptively simple and you'd be forgiven if you think some of it is just pure nonsense (Alice in Wonderland? Unicorns?). However, there is actually a plot here that goes fairly deep into mythology and folk stories, and if you're not paying attention to the dialogue or actions of one of the several characters in the game, it's very likely you may finish the game being none the wiser to what just happened (let's just say the ending is a bit odd and a lot of the characters actions and motives are hardly explained upfront). That said, I actually did end up liking the story and characters mostly, and it did get to some interesting discussion and debates in previous threads elsewhere on the game. Apparently the Steam version includes new files to help explain things a little better, so hopefully that helps those who sort of jump to the conclusion the game is nonsense, though. But it's that sort of story.

This probably is a better choice to bring to Steam. I don't think it's the best Grasshopper game out there (I prefer Shadows of the Damned out of recent games myself), but it is actually very pretty in a stylistic way and the original game suffered from screen-tearing fairly consistently and frame rate drops from 30fps, and as the game is fast-paced, 60fps and fixed screen-tearing should do wonders.

Gameplay-wise it's most similar to something like No More Heroes or Lollipop Chainsaw. First, I would suggest this to be a game you play on a harder difficulty, it's one of those games that had a sweet difficulty spot for me on Hard, and most agree that Normal and Easy are pretty easy. There was an unlockable difficulty as well, and apparently this PC version is adding another new difficulty level as well. It's a beat-em up, and the enemies that you fight are known as Wires. They often have pretty good shielding, and goal is to either break through their shields or get to an angle to hit them, and then load-out on them, but in a mindful manner. You have a weak, a medium, and a strong sword attack, which you can mix together for different combos, and later on, new attacks. You have a gun that gains new functions later into the game (like turning into a drill or laser), you can throw enemies into the air for aerial combos, like in Lollipop Chainsaw you can stun enemies to make them far easier to kill, you can charge attacks, and can dodge enemy attacks. If you dodge enemy attacks a few split seconds before they hit you, you'll trigger a mode where everything turns black and red and you're given a few seconds to just wail on the enemy with sword strikes. Outside of fighting, the stages do throw things like exploration at you in some stages, segments where the gameplay changes for a bit, bosses, and the like. To be noted is that the bosses are all varied and fun to fight, probably the highlight of the game honestly.

Also there's the controversial sections where you hit on girls by ogling them. You do these sections to receive upgrades and items. This is a case where they are as offensive as you make them out to be. They're ridiculous, over-the-top, and honestly seem if you want to look at it that way sexist to both genders to me, but they're often too silly for me to take seriously. Typically Mondo makes a lot of heavy breathing sounds and odd comments "Great!" as you try to avoid getting caught, the girls talk about odd topics, and the scene where you two go and have sex are... I don't want to spoil them, but they're ridiculous. Typically they get sillier and more over-the-top without actual nudity as they go on (each girl has three different scenes that happen, and different items.upgrades to give).

ss_647dfb00f09c13a5717f2a8dc8edd102e744d849.600x338.jpg

The music by Akira fits the games mood well. Not his best work ever in my opinion, but there are some stand-out tracks, but unfortunately I can't find most of the music online (there was only a small partial soundtrack released that didn't include my favorite songs, and apparently no full gamerip has been done yet). The voice acting is good, but there is one character who's voice you're either going to like or its going to seriously grate on you.

Outside of boss battles, what this game probably does best is style. The game has a very stylistic look to it, but the style doesn't just stop there. Cutscenes, though sometimes hard to fully grasp on what's going on, at least are entertaining and stylist. Some cutscenes are even animated, with the animated cutscenes often telling fantasy-like stories that are important to the mission or objective at hand. The menu is stylish. The moves are stylish. Basically this game has a very complete stylish look to it, which for those aesthetic gamers out there, really does add lot, and is very well done and consistent, but still packs surprises as the games and areas continue forward.

It's not the best of the best or even my personal favorite of Grasshopper's titles, but I did enjoy the game as a stylistic beat-em up with a surrealistic folklore edge, There is some replayability here with some extra missions to play through, various costumes for Mondo and other main characters, unlockable skills, difficulties, and the like, and a story mode that lasts about 6-9 hours. Like all of Grasshopper's games, it's a love it/hate it affair, but not bad for this type of game to finally be coming to Steam.

Tain

If I loved Killer7 but hated No More Heroes how should I be feeling

Killer7 always seemed cool to me (never finished it) and I found No More Heroes to be pretty garbage (the parody theme was lame and the combat was insanely dull, nevermind the jobs) but I found Killer is Dead to be very good. A solid, unique action game with ridiculous aesthetics. I played it on Hard and made it a point to never use Mika Tickets, which probably made it better.

Astarte

Just beat this the other day on PS3...was a gorgeous fucking terrible game....one of the worst Ive played in a long time..... the final level is literally another level youve played before with slightly new enemies.....and then it ends and you didnt even realize it ended because the story didnt lead up to anything.....oh and the story is the most confusing crap Ive ever played even by Suda standards

I actually found it to be pretty enjoyable...and the plot is pretty understandable as well. Oh well!

It always baffles me that developers/publishers will choose the worst game from a developer to gauge interest in the Steam platform.

Why not bring their biggest games forth first? That said, I hope Killer is Dead finds a good audience on Steam. How were the console sales, for reference?

Vazra

It always baffles me that developers/publishers will choose the worst game from a developer to gauge interest in the Steam platform.

Why not bring their biggest games forth first? That said, I hope Killer is Dead finds a good audience on Steam. How were the console sales, for reference?

I think it did worse than Shadows of The Damned but don't take it as a fact. All I remember i that it went bomba prices quick and never saw any sales talk. As for worst I think NMH2 remains as the worst game.

Tizoc

I think it did worse than Shadows of The Damned but don't take it as a fact. All I remember i that it went bomba prices quick and never saw any sales talk. As for worst I think NMH2 remains as the worst game.

Retail most likely dropped in price quickly yeah, digital only went on sale/discount some weeks ago.

In total, at best it may have sold, worldwide, a combined 20,000 on both 360 and PS3, if not 25K or 30K by now. This is for BOTH digital and retail BTW, at least by my estimate.

impact

Banned
Retail most likely dropped in price quickly yeah, digital only went on sale/discount some weeks ago.

In total, at best it may have sold, worldwide, a combined 20,000 on both 360 and PS3, if not 25K or 30K by now. This is for BOTH digital and retail BTW, at least by my estimate.

Lollipop Chainsaw 2 confirmed

Vazra

Lollipop Chainsaw 2 confirmed

If they keep fleshing out the combat system and they dont make you unlock the moves already unlocked from Lollipop Chainsaw 1 Im the fuck in. (Add Cordelia Sniper Challenges PLS)

Killer is Dead did 17,709 copies in Japanand those are just Ps3 numbers. So if we combine it with US and Europe and with the time it has passed it might be at 50k.

Zafir

Hopefully I can get AA on it. That's the one thing that annoyed me about the console version. All the aliasing ruined the outlining effect they had going on.

Tizoc

If they keep fleshing out the combat system and they dont make you unlock the moves already unlocked from Lollipop Chainsaw 1 Im the fuck in. (Add Cordelia Sniper Challenges PLS)

Killer is Dead did 17,709 copies in Japanand those are just Ps3 numbers. So if we combine it with US and Europe and with the time it has passed it might be at 50k.

Interesting thanks for the input, I could see it having sold, at best, 50K combined worldwide.

cj_iwakura

Fun game. The plot isn't as good as K7's, but the gameplay is almost as good as NMH's, and it has some hilarious moments. It's kind of like a little of both.

Definitely the best GHM game since NMH1.

Love the TV in the OP.

Vazra

Fun game. The plot isn't as good as K7's, but the gameplay is almost as good as NMH's, and it has some hilarious moments. It's kind of like a little of both.

Definitely the best GHM game since NMH1.

Love the TV in the OP.

Thank you.

Volcynika

Kind of a cool OP, but image-heavy only OTs (with text on them) are suuuuuuuuuuper terrible to read on mobile (can barely read the smaller text), so may want to take that into account for future OTs.

Really enjoyed the game though. Craziness abounds!

Top Bottom