• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killing Floor 2 Early Access |OT| I Buy You. Birth sign: DOSH

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Doors that break down no matter how much you weld, intentional? In the original the only thing that will break it is if you get overwhelmed. When I hold the door long enough it'll just break.

Absolutely intentional. For KF2 they wanted to avoid camp-outs, so they've made doors destructible even when welded and they don't come back. Pretty huge change, so much so that my crew and I very rarely weld anymore. Too risky, need as many escape routes as possible.

For my first time playing, it was weird to have everyone shouting not to weld. Anyone wanna explain why that is? Is it just not useful and just prolongs the wave?

Phased

Doors that break down no matter how much you weld, intentional? In the original the only thing that will break it is if you get overwhelmed. When I hold the door long enough it'll just break.

It seems intentional.

Can't be sure but the doors actually look like they take damage beyond just the welding process, almost like they have a separate health bar of their own. Once that's gone the door seems to break no matter what.

For my first time playing, it was weird to have everyone shouting not to weld. Anyone wanna explain why that is? Is it just not useful and just prolongs the wave?
Killing floor 2 encourages moving during the waves more than KF1, so blocking off exits does more harm than good as you're limiting your options, also once a welded door is destroyed it remains destroyed which could cause problems for when you actually want to hold up somewhere.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
For anyone who is got the Deluxe Edition, I will highly suggest taking a look at the art book. It's actually really interesting and well-made, quite in-depth and lengthy too being over 100 pages. They don't show anything not in the current Early Access, but there's a lot of interesting things in it.

It's made me very interested to see what sort of new monsters they'll introduce in the future, it seems in the end they decided to keep most of the returning KF1 monsters as they were in the original with just some visual upgrades and functionality updates (a few being more re-designed like the Fleshpound), but the artbook shows for some of the monsters they had some pretty radicaly different ideas for the monsters and their designs, some went along to become full models, others in art, but it's all very interesting. Interesting ideas, like they wanted the Scrake to originally have a grappling hook to pull players towards its chainsaw, the Crawler they originally designed radically different and made it this weird pale lizard-spider thing with a tail, and later experimented making it more like an actual spider with multiple limbs before deciding to make it more recognizable, among other things.

Nordicus

Once a welded door breaks, it's gone for good. You want to save them for when you actually need them

BHK3

Banned
I almost feel like the weapons aren't strong enough to kill the boss, or the levels aren't suited for such a mobile enemy. KF1 was just everyone selling their shit to stack pipebombs and getting power weapons, now its just...do we get the sawblade shooter? Another shotgun? Are we doing anything to him at all? Given most of our losses come from him being at possibly 10% hp or so, it's not without everybody being dead. Also it's 2015, there should really be some notice or something telling you he's not taking damage when he's stealing health. I'll chalk 75% of it up to everyone being low level, most games are level 0s with like 1 dude at level 9 or something. The tear gas is way too powerful though, movement in KF is very very slow and levels like biotics labs are very cramped and can easily kill you if he chases than decides to siege you from afar.

For anyone who is got the Deluxe Edition, I will highly suggest taking a look at the art book. It's actually really interesting and well-made, quite in-depth and lengthy too being over 100 pages. They don't show anything not in the current Early Access, but there's a lot of interesting things in it.
Is it just pictures or is there actually some text in there?

Dusk Golem

Is it just pictures or is there actually some text in there?

There's text, there's a lot of pictures but they preface with some information either describing it in the game's 'story', development notes and changes in development, internal things, and the like.

An example is they talk and show a lot of things about the aquarium in Biotics lab, they show the model and the concept art and official art of a giant aquatic monster-looking thing they call the Mother Clot, which is where they decided the Zeds come from and are cloned from, it has a toothy mouth and they describe the process and show a 3D model scale of the Zed development cycle from a fetus to a full Zed, and talk about the design of the Mother Clot while they show official art, concept art, in-game models, and the like of it, and they do this for most things, though some they go in far more detail than others. For the monsters they have a slip about how the monster was interpreted for KF2 and what phases they went with it for development, then a few pages of art, models, concepts, and the like for the monster.

Dusk Golem

Anyone braved Suicidal or Hell on Earth yet to see what new attacks enemies get?

Yup, been playing Hell on earth some.

What I've noticed:

-A number of the enemies now dash and run at you, not just sped-up but they have unique animations when running at you, some Clots just approach you normally, but many now will be running, and this applies to a lot of enemies, even Bloats. Most of them are just as fast, and many faster, than you. I've seen the Clot and its varients walk at a slower speed, walk at a faster speed, run about your speed, and then they have this run where they have their arms out and they're faster than you. They can be unrelenting if they're running,there was a funny spectating moment of watching someone with a literal swarm of enemies on his tail, looked like a flood of enemies, who were always two steps behind him before they engulfed and consumed him.

-Speaking of Bloats, they now can run and vomit at the same time, instead of stopping to vomit, they will just keep on moving and spewing vomit everywhere.

-There's also a fart attack the Bloat can use, don't know much about it except they have it, it leaves a poisonous gas, and when they use it the Bloat floats up into the air for a second.

-Husks are more likely to rapid-fire their fire shot attack.

-Husks have a new suicide move where they'll place their torch and hand on the ground, glow, and explode.

-Husks now have a flamethrower with ridiculous range that they will spray around. Sets fire to all players and enemies nearby, has something like a 3-5 meter range and they go crazy with it, setting fire to everything within a 180 degree angle in front of them.

-Crawlers can crawl on walls and ambush attack you from ceilings and walls.

-Stalkers now do a lot of Matrix-flip shot, while visible and invisible, and can dodge bullets like this or jump to the side if you try shooting them.

-Sirens are almost non-stop wailing now.

There's definitely more, but what I've noticed so far.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
GeForce Experience Optimal Playable Settings are now live. If you use them, please let me know how they fare, it's always difficult to generate good recommendations in a multiplayer game that can scale the number of players and enemies.

There's text, there's a lot of pictures but they preface with some information either describing it in the game's 'story', development notes and changes in development, internal things, and the like.

Great, it's always disappointing when there's an artbook that is just pictures without any notes or information. Looking forward to taking a look at that later today, especially the stuff for the zed designs.

Maximo

What I've noticed:

-A number of the enemies now dash and run at you, not just sped-up but they have unique animations when running at you, some Clots just approach you normally, but many now will be running, and this applies to a lot of enemies, even Bloats. Most of them are just as fast, and many faster, than you. I've seen the Clot and its varients walk at a slower speed, walk at a faster speed, run about your speed, and then they have this run where they have their arms out and they're faster than you. They can be unrelenting if they're running,there was a funny spectating moment of watching someone with a literal swarm of enemies on his tail, looked like a flood of enemies, who were always two steps behind him before they engulfed and consumed him.

-Speaking of Bloats, they now can run and vomit at the same time, instead of stopping to vomit, they will just keep on moving and spewing vomit everywhere.

-There's also a fart attack the Bloat can use, don't know much about it except they have it, it leaves a poisonous gas, and when they use it the Bloat floats up into the air for a second.

-Husks have a new suicide move where they'll place their torch and hand on the ground, glow, and explode.

-Husks now have a flamethrower with ridiculous range that they will spray around. Sets fire to all players and enemies nearby, has something like a 3-5 meter range and they go crazy with it, setting fire to everything within a 180 degree angle in front of them.

-Stalkers now do a lot of Matrix-flip shot, while visible and invisible, and can dodge bullets like this or jump to the side if you try shooting them.

Loved listening to TotalB talk to the Developers in his video and talk about the Tweaks and changes to the enemies. To not make them just bullet sponges like most games do when increasing the difficulty but actually giving them new movements and attacks.

derExperte

I almost feel like the weapons aren't strong enough to kill the boss, or the levels aren't suited for such a mobile enemy. KF1 was just everyone selling their shit to stack pipebombs and getting power weapons, now its just...do we get the sawblade shooter? Another shotgun? Are we doing anything to him at all? Given most of our losses come from him being at possibly 10% hp or so, it's not without everybody being dead. Also it's 2015, there should really be some notice or something telling you he's not taking damage when he's stealing health. I'll chalk 75% of it up to everyone being low level, most games are level 0s with like 1 dude at level 9 or something. The tear gas is way too powerful though, movement in KF is very very slow and levels like biotics labs are very cramped and can easily kill you if he chases than decides to siege you from afar.

They already nerfed his hitpoints during the beta, at the beginning even on normal the amount of time it took to grind him down was ridiculous, it's okay now imo considering that most big guns aren't in yet.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Oh wait what, they actually do that now, it wasn't just trailer material?

Damn, I should play on the harder difficulties, I've been wanting crawlers to do that!

They're investigating ways to make them walk on ceilings, too. Will be like living in Australia, albeit it with gigantic, genetically modified black widow spiders.

They already nerfed his hitpoints during the beta, at the beginning even on normal the amount of time it took to grind him down was ridiculous, it's okay now imo considering that most big guns aren't in yet.
Yeah I don't think he's too bad, the biggest threat is him catching you out with the explosive attack but that's simple to avoid once you know that is coming.

noomi

Hey everyone!

Just bought into the early access and this being my first Killing Floor game I was hoping some experienced players could answer a few basic questions for me, please :)

- I like the perk system, seems it will make every player a bit more unique and cater to their play style but... how does it work?

1. Are perk unlocks based on how much "xp" we are granted from each match?
2. Once a perk tree is unlocked will it always remain unlocked?
3. Is there a limit to how many skills we can unlock inside the perk, or do we need to chose carefully?
4. Can we level multiple perks, or do we generally stick with 1?

Also... does anyone know if progress from early access carry over to the full game, or will everything be wiped and we will need to start at zero?

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Hey everyone!

Just bought into the early access and this being my first Killing Floor game I was hoping some experienced players could answer a few basic questions for me, please :)

- I like the perk system, seems it will make every player a bit more unique and cater to their play style but... how does it work?

1. Are perk unlocks based on how much "xp" we are granted from each match?
2. Once a perk tree is unlocked will it always remain unlocked?
3. Is there a limit to how many skills we can unlock inside the perk, or do we need to chose carefully?

Also... does anyone know if progress from early access carry over to the full game, or will everything be wiped and we will need to start at zero?

Levelling system is like any other game: get XP, unlock new ranks, get skill points.

Points are persistent, so always unlocked.

You can have one perk per unlock level (lvl 5, 10, etc)

You can swap perks at will, so if you want to give ammo out in one match instead of having more ammo for yourself, simply switch the perk.

Don't think there'll be any wipes as the game is 'out'.

noomi

Levelling system is like any other game: get XP, unlock new ranks, get skill points.

Points are persistent, so always unlocked.

You can have one skill per unlock level (lvl 5, 10, etc)

You can swap perks at will, so if you want to give ammo out in one match instead of having more ammo for yourself, simply switch the perk.

Andy,

Awesome, thank you for the prompt and helpful reply. I hope to see you in-game one day so we can slaughter endless hordes of zombies muahaha!

Zoracka

Yes you can. If you heal other players while playing support or any other class, the medic perk will also be leveled up. It did for me in the pre-early access version anyway.

I'm pretty sure they've said to expect wipes of achievements and progress during early access.

What I've noticed:

Thanks for braving Hell on Earth and finding all this out!

Nokterian

Very surprising that DJ Scully is dutch! When i started playing and using him he says a lot of things in my language like Thank you! (Dank je wel) Gaaf zeg (awesome!) that sort of thing but also talks in like most dutch people would in english small but fun detail. John Gibson said to me on twitter that one of the 3 founders of tripwire is dutch so there is some netherlands spirit in the game also.

NIN90

I've been there. We thought he was nigh unbeatable during the beta, but now he is very manageable even at level 0 or 1 if you know his ins and outs.

Hypron

What I've noticed:

Damn that sounds great,
and hard

I'll definitely give that a try when I level up a bit more.

I do feel really out of my element at the moment though, I used to play Sharpshooter almost all the time (probably 95%+ of the time), and none of the classes available are anything like it. Hopefully they add it in quickly.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Woo-hoo. Beat all maps on Normal. Leaves... Hard and above.

Still haven't gotten a perk to rank 5. I'm not sure about this EXP system at times.

AndyBNV

Nvidia

Still haven't gotten a perk to rank 5. I'm not sure about this EXP system at times.

You need to be doing your class actions for optimal XP. Says on one of the screens what they are for each class. e.g. welding, healing, shotgun damage.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You need to be doing your class actions for optimal XP. Says on one of the screens what they are for each class. e.g. welding, healing, shotgun damage.

Oh I am as support abusing the shotgun. Problem is the base EXP is like +8/+16 a pop and it only counts if you get the killshot. If you tag a bloat and get it to near death, whoever kills it doesn't give you "assist" EXP from what I see. :/

Kinsei

Banned

Try going solo on suicidal. It gives you a ton of exp even if you end up dying at the boss. It makes sense that we're not getting a lot of XP on normal since it's the lowest difficulty.

The hammer with explosive charges is damn good, it feels like a little Platinum Games was spilled on my Killing Floor. Staggering Fleshpounds/Scrakes while my team pounds on them is very very satisfying. I think a Berserker with a hammer is a must in the later waves, where Scrakes/Fleshpounds start coming at you in pairs.

I think Commando might be a bit short-changed as a class, as they're only good against mobs really, but the other classes seem to handle mobs just fine, and against any heavies they're just about useless at inflicting damage.

GeForce Experience Optimal Playable Settings are now live. If you use them, please let me know how they fare, it's always difficult to generate good recommendations in a multiplayer game that can scale the number of players and enemies.

Whoa, this is awesome. I'm not too familiar with "early access" stuff and just assumed the nvidia panel would never recognize the game. (and by that i mean, not until the actual, full release)

I actually tried to detect the game this morning and it wasn't found, maybe tonight after a reboot it will find the game. Curious to see what it recommends for the game.

Favourite map so far is easily the burning paris one, reminds me of London mostly :3
Yeah, it really does.
killing_floor_2_burning_paris_by_digi_matrix-d8qmyak.png

Very neon pretty map.

Top Bottom