• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect Disneyland Adventures |OT| Meet Mickey

IUUz9.jpg

Bring the magic of Disneyland to your living room. Leave the controller behind and play with your full body as you capture Disney moments with the whole family, meet over 35 characters, and explore 12 worlds. Experience new Disneyland® Adventures with you as the star.

Features
  • A fully realised and explorable virtual Disneyland. Players can walk around the park meeting and interacting with the 40 Disney characters found within. Collect autographs, get your picture taken, earn badges and find all of the hidden objects and secrets.

• Explore the 12 worlds featured in the theme park, riding the 18 attractions including:

Alice in Wonderland
    Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters
    Haunted Mansion
    It's a Small World
    The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
    Matterhorn Bobsleds
    Peter Pan's Flight
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Space Mountain
    Splash Mountain
    Jungle Cruise

Each Disney inspired ride takes one or two players on a fantastical journey, each containing several mini-games.

• Take part in the Sensational Parade and the Night-time Fireworks Spectacular, flinging fireworks into the sky with your hands.

• Bring the park to life Fantasia-style with the magicians wand, talk to the animated trash can in New Orleans Square, use the fully interactive map of Disneyland and use voice commands for interacting and menu navigation.

Media

JuCaV.jpg

4jhQ8.jpg

b8s4X.jpg

NsEJ4.jpg

E3 Trailer
Launch Trailer

Official Site With Interactive Map and Gameplay Footage

Reviews

Telegraph - 4.5/5
GamingXP - 87%
NZGamer - 8.2
God Is A Geek - 9
VGRevolution - 8.5
incgamers - 8
VentureBeat - 70%
Game Informer - 7.5
Entertainment Focus - 9

Wow, that's pretty fantastic it's getting great reviews. I'm getting this for my nephew. Not sure if telling him "You're going to Disneyland!" and then giving him this would make him happy or make him cry.

Salz01

So, you need Kinect for this? No other way to play with the controller. Want to get this for my brother, but he doesnt have Kinect.

Iced_Eagle said:
Wow, that's pretty fantastic it's getting great reviews. I'm getting this for my nephew. Not sure if telling him "You're going to Disneyland!" and then giving him this would make him happy or make him cry.
Haha. Yeah, the reviews are great. I knew it wouldn't be shovelware, but I didn't expect it to get this good of a reaction, assuming it continues.

Salz01 said:
So, you need Kinect for this? No other way to play with the controller. Want to get this for my brother, but he doesnt have Kinect.
Kinect is required I'm afraid.

InaudibleWhispa said:
Haha. Yeah, the reviews are great. I knew it wouldn't be shovelware, but I didn't expect it to get this good of a reaction, assuming it continues.

Disney's pretty much revamped their entire approach to videogames, starting a few years ago with the Alice in Wonderland titles and Toy Story 3 after that. They're taking this stuff seriously these days.

AbsoluteZero said:
Disney's pretty much revamped their entire approach to videogames, starting a few years ago with the Alice in Wonderland titles and Toy Story 3 after that. They're taking this stuff seriously these days.
That's good to here. Along with Sesame Street and the upcoming Pixar game Project Rush, it's good to see licences treat with a bit more respect again.

Pociask

Disney magic + Kinect magic = MAGIC!

Seriously looks like they put together a solid piece of entertainment here. Definitely look forward to playing it with my kid someday.

Dunlop

I was supposed to go to Disneyland with the inlaws and my kids but the trip was cancelled due to an emergency.

I wan't to get this for the kids but not sure if they will be happy or make the fact that they didn't get to go worse

decisions..decisions

Chairhome

Nice, looking forward to hearing some impressions from GAF. I read a review that gave it a 70 citing a couple of control problems in maneuvering through the park. I'll check out these other reviews.

I'm sad that no one did a Once Upon a Monster OT. My daughter loves that game so much. I might make one if I have time, I feel like its not getting the sales it deserves.

Alx

I probably won't buy the game, but it's looking good. I like the final touch of the trailer, when the kids control the fireworks, it's very "Disney-ish".

I'm sad that no one did a Once Upon a Monster OT. My daughter loves that game so much. I might make one if I have time, I feel like its not getting the sales it deserves.

I think/hope MS will push this game along with the Disney one for the holidays... last year the first wave was all about dancing, fitness and sports, the second big wave could be (good) games for kids.

Chairhome said:
Nice, looking forward to hearing some impressions from GAF. I read a review that gave it a 70 citing a couple of control problems in maneuvering through the park. I'll check out these other reviews.
Got a link, I'll put it in the OP? Walking freely through the park is definitely my biggest concern. I imagine its fine for the most part, but walking into a wall and having to twist and walk away will be awkward. Fortunately if you raise both arms you can get a fast pass for the rides, so you don't have to continue walking around to access attractions.

Edit: Never mind, found it.

bh7812

Banned
This game looks REALLY neat! I've been quite interested in it since it was announced and I'm definitely buying it. I've been to both Disneyland and Disney World so I am very curious to see how accurate they got in terms of Disneyland..how close they came to replicating the real experience and magic. Judging by the pictures in the OP, at least visually, they hit a bulls-eye. I'm shocked really. Definitely going to pick it up this week.

Also will be buying the Sesame Street game. I don't have kids but I'm really wanting to try it and see how they did with that too. There are a few good deals on that game for Black Friday so I'm thinking to pick that game up then.

I'll be happy to post some thoughts on the Disneyland game once I get it and have had some time to play it.

Chairhome said:

You were really expecting a OT on GAF for a game whose core demographic is preschoolers?

Really?

Chairhome

Deadly Joker said:
If I was 4 years old, I would love this game.

But I'm not.
You're much too mature for this game (nice power rangers avatar).

AbsoluteZero said:
You were really expecting a OT on GAF for a game whose core demographic is preschoolers?

Really?
I was expecting maybe one from a parent. The demographic for Disneyland and Sesame Street are about the same. There are a lot of parents on here.

Alx

AbsoluteZero said:

Really?

Since some gaffers are also parents, why not ? We're in the "Disneyland Adventures OT" after all...

Chairhome

AbsoluteZero said:
Right, but being surprised that one doesn't exist is an entirely different thing.
Being disappointed that there is none and being surprised that one doesn't exist are two different things.

If I had Kinect I'd probably get this. I love Disney World (I'm 25 and one of my favorite places is the Magic Kingdom, fuck the haters) but I've never been to Disneyland.

Personally, I think it would have been better if they made this game based on Magic Kingdom since it comes more land, has a larger castle, and the other parks of Disney World could be sequels but I guess the 'Disneyland' name is more well known. I am very interested in trying out this game. I wonder if a nearby Redbox with those $2 rentals has a copy.

LQX

Surprised at the scores which seem decent but then again not many major sites reviews are up yet. Have to hand it to MS for going after everyone this holiday. There are a ton of games for every demograp.

Cth

I'll try to post some impressions later once I get hone and pick up the kid (4.5 years old)

I'll also be picking up Nickelodeon Dance thanks to that TRU gift card.

The game looks packed judging from the map included with the manual. MS sent an email today with a map for kids to post their achievements on in case anyone was interested.

EDIT:
The manual confirms you don't have to "walk" everywhere .. You can raise your arms to pull up the big map.

also worth mentioning -- the plush dolls can be scanned to unlock more quests.. Presumably someone out there will scan them all like they did with the Kinectimal ones.

TRios Zen

Torn between getting my 5 year old this, or Once upon a monster.

Spoiled little @#%$er will probably get both.

Good to hear that neither is absolute garbage at least, as I'll spend some time having to watch/play them.

TRios Zen said:
Torn between getting my 5 year old this, or Once upon a monster.

Spoiled little @#%$er will probably get both.

Good to hear that neither is absolute garbage at least, as I'll spend some time having to watch/play them.
This looks like it has a lot more content. 18 attractions, each with multiple mini-games. We're talking literally dozens of hours taking collectables into consideration.

FoneBone

InaudibleWhispa said:
We're talking literally dozens of hours taking collectables into consideration.
What's the source for this? Given what most games of this ilk have to offer, I find that pretty much impossible to believe.

JWong

Banned
Deadly Joker said:
I was 5 or 6 when I liked Power Rangers, not 4.

you got me, lol
Even if you were 6 years old, it's impossible to figure out how to calibrate the Kinect.

Kids are dumb.

FoneBone said:
What's the source for this? Given what most games of this ilk have to offer, I find that pretty much impossible to believe.
"After approximately seven hours of gameplay, I had only completed ten percent of the game" - GodIsAGeek

There are over 100 "adventures" (mini-games) that take place over 18 attractions. Each has collectable pins. There are 40 characters around the park, each with a collectable autograph that you can only get by buying a collectable autograph book (Princesses, Villains etc). There are 30 sets of magical items in each land that you can bring to life with your magic wand. There are landmarks to take photos of. There are 30 hidden mickeys in each land. The core game is packed full of content as it is. Any OCD kid with a need to get everything is going to be at it for god knows how long.

My wife actually pointed-out the e-mail Microsoft sent me, about this. She never brings anything game-related, to my attention, except for Dance Central, before this. Since it seems to be getting decent reviews, I just placed my order on Amazon. I figure it'll also be a good diversion for all of my little nieces and nephews, when I have them over for Christmas. It'll hopefully keep them from running all over the house.

Cth

TheListener said:
This game is massive. You could easily play it for more than 40 hours.

Absolutely true.

We're at 1% with an hour in :D

Took a sec to get the kid to stop trying to walk/run in place to move though. Load screens while using the "fast walk option" are slightly annoying but that's not how you're supposed to play.

LOTS of voice controls.

She's been playing Dance Central with the Princesses (so to speak) and I joined in on the Buzz Lightyear stage which was a Child of Eden shooter type with flying elements added.

In other words in my limited exposure so far a good mix of other popular game types.

She had fun "meeting" Mickey and gang and getting high fives and hugs from them.

Right now she's playing the Winnie the Pooh section - each section being broken into chapters.. First chapter was a flying game/collect coins type game (floating on a balloon with Pooh)... Second one is pogo jumping with Tigger.

You can go into stores to buy clothing etc.. I thought it'd let you use your avatars but it doesn't. There is an option for Kinect to scan you though.

She's a little tired and cranky at the moment so I'll probably have to post more tomorrow.

Cth said:
Absolutely true.

We're at 1% with an hour in :D

Took a sec to get the kid to stop trying to walk/run in place to move though. Load screens while using the "fast walk option" are slightly annoying but that's not how you're supposed to play.

LOTS of voice controls.

She's been playing Dance Central with the Princesses (so to speak) and I joined in on the Buzz Lightyear stage which was a Child of Eden shooter type with flying elements added.

In other words in my limited exposure so far a good mix of other popular game types.

She had fun "meeting" Mickey and gang and getting high fives and hugs from them.

Right now she's playing the Winnie the Pooh section - each section being broken into chapters.. First chapter was a flying game/collect coins type game (floating on a balloon with Pooh)... Second one is pogo jumping with Tigger.

You can go into stores to buy clothing etc.. I thought it'd let you use your avatars but it doesn't. There is an option for Kinect to scan you though.

She's a little tired and cranky at the moment so I'll probably have to post more tomorrow.
Thanks for the impressions, my daughter is going to freak out when I bring this home.

Briarios

I'll admit it it - I picked this up for my gf's daughter, but I plan to check it out when she plays it. We live in Florida, so we can actually go to Disney World, but she loves the characters ... And, I'm hoping it will help her get over her fear of some of the rides :p

Gaspode_T

Hearing some good things about this from co-workers, I'm glad because I bought a Kinect for my neice almost just because of this game and how happy I think it will make her to play it (huuuuuge Disney fan).

Alx

Wow, reading the previous posts it looks like the amount of content is impressive... I first discarded the game as "another licensed minigames collection", but it looks like Disney really wanted to make something special. It makes me wish that more party games had this level of investment.

Massive massive fan of WDW here, whilst I wish it was WDW instead of DL I'm definitely getting this. I don't think my 6 month old son will quite appreciate it yet though ha.

As long as it has the music from the park in I am a happy camper.

Cth

The only issue ive run into is that once you unlock the camera you have to unlock/buy photo albums (and autograph books) from stores throughout the game. My daughter didn't understand why she couldn't take a pic when she had the camera. It'd have been nice to have a true sandbox mode but I can see where they have to give older kids something to work for.

She loves shopping in stores and its easy to get coins but the initial disappointment at the extra level of chores gave her some frustration,

Anyways, this mornings activities:
- Kinect Sports soccerish game w/ Winnie the Pooh.. They toss out gifts from a bush and you have o catch them using your hands, head and feet.
- rowing a boat and hitting alligators in the head with an oar and dodging xplosive floating barrels
- Photo ops everywhere
- unlocking the magic wand and animating inanimate objects for more coins
- shopping for books
- virtual merry go round ride

More impressions later, she's watching the Wiggles now.

Doodis

Does anyone have this and Once Upon a Monster? Trying to determine which is more suitable for a 5-year-old boy. My son loved Kinectimals for reference. I'm worried this might be a bit too complex for him. Anyone?

Doodis said:
Does anyone have this and Once Upon a Monster? Trying to determine which is more suitable for a 5-year-old boy. My son loved Kinectimals for reference. I'm worried this might be a bit too complex for him. Anyone?
I haven't played it yet, but from what I've read he should be fine. He might find navigation around the park difficult, but if he does you can just use the menu/voice to get him onto the rides. The ride mini-games themselves look totally accessible to a 5 year old.

I think as a package Once Upon A Monster is probably less complex, and you could probably put him in front of it and leave him alone and he'd figure it all out. But there is seemingly a lot less content, and I think most kids find Disney a bit more magical.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I played this with my 4 year old daughter today. She had a ball. This is wonderful for kids and their parents to enjoy together. Sheer fun.

UraMallas

I'm worried about my 3-year old nephew not being able to do this. He turns 4 a month after Christmas but I just don't know if he'll be able to hang. Is anybody playing with a child of that age? Are they liking it and/or understanding it?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm worried about my 3-year old nephew not being able to do this. He turns 4 a month after Christmas but I just don't know if he'll be able to hang. Is anybody playing with a child of that age? Are they liking it and/or understanding it?

My girlfriend played it with her (severely) autistic niece. The girl is a bit older and is able to read but has a lot of behavioral and social issues. She was able to play it no problem but got very upset that she had to say goodbye to the different characters and that set off a bit of a tantrum. I guess she's not a great point of reference versus "normal" children, ahahah. In terms of my own observations just looking at it, a 4 year old should be fine to play it with Mom or Dad. By themselves, maybe not, but definitely with Mom and Dad.

You'll want to make sure the kid is tall enough to be clearly seen by the Kinect though, we had trouble playing Once Upon a Monster with a 2 year old because our living room wasn't setup in a way that someone quite that short could be picked up properly by the Kinect.

The only issue ive run into is that once you unlock the camera you have to unlock/buy photo albums (and autograph books) from stores throughout the game. My daughter didn't understand why she couldn't take a pic when she had the camera. It'd have been nice to have a true sandbox mode but I can see where they have to give older kids something to work for.

Yeah, this is the kind of thing that definitely makes it a Parent+kid game rather than a Kids playing solo game.

I got both to play with my soon-to-be-4 little boy (he will be 4 years old in the beginning of January).

We still did not start Disneyland (maybe tomorrow) because Once Upon a Monster is keeping us busy. Monster is great for little children, no violence (even cartoon violence, Disney kind have it with the Hook fight). If he likes Sesame Street he will probably loved it (my kid loves Elmo).

Ah, and my son speaks very little English, and cannot understand the dialogues (I have to translate) and even so he is enjoying the little stories in Monster.

Jesiatha

My 6 year old can play it by himself. The voice commands work well and gestures work okay. My 4 year old plays with him, but is not able to by himself. They both love the game.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!

Kids of that age will need help, but part of the fun is playing with them. Bouncing with my daughter as Tigger bounces is priceless.

Top Bottom