• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect Sports Rivals |OT| Preseason’s over, it’s time to take sides

sangreal

Just an FYI to anyone interested - after I signed up for the Kinect Sports Rivals World Championships, I received a confirming email from Microsoft which also included a code for a Perfect Dark Outfit Pack to be used in game.

They look pretty sharp!

Thanks; I just registered (US) and got the code in the confirmation email

here is what the waverace version looks like (on a fat person):
ksr9.png

front: http://www.thesangreal.net/gafpics/ksr8.png

I imagine the other sports are different, like the KI pack

C4Lukins

it was a wild ride. actually no, you were just fumbling about all uncoordinated, like. enjoyed the stream.

I hoped for better. 4 Beers left. 24 beers in 12 hours with a nap is still a thing. I think it should be at least.

If you are a member of Expertzone, go complete the KSR course and get a code for the Rare outfit. I don't plan on getting the game, so the first person to quote me that they want it here I'll DM my code to :).

oyyWJM9.jpg

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Got the game last night, girlfriend and I made our characters and got pumped up to play. Logged her in as second player, both of us could be seen in the corner. Lets get started!

"Umm maybe the tutorial is one player. After it you can play!"

"Oh, it wants me to do this story race. And it's also single player. I can't do anything else but select this race? Uhhh...I'll unlock it tomorrow on my own, lets play Donkey Kong."

I can see why so many reviewers were angry for being locked from doing anything else when starting up for the first time.

sangreal

Got the game last night, girlfriend and I made our characters and got pumped up to play. Logged her in as second player, both of us could be seen in the corner. Lets get started!

"Umm maybe the tutorial is one player. After it you can play!"

"Oh, it wants me to do this story race. And it's also single player. I can't do anything else but select this race? Uhhh...I'll unlock it tomorrow on my own, lets play Donkey Kong."

I can see why so many reviewers were angry for being locked from doing anything else when starting up for the first time.

it is annoying that you can't skip the cutscenes, but you can skip the tutorials/intro events. just start it and then quit and you will advance and unlock the next sport

This game has so much day one DLC it is ridiculous. There are about $15 worth of costumes to buy plus all the hidden retailer stuff. Kinda turns me off from unlocking the in game stuff.

Shanlei91

This game has so much day one DLC it is ridiculous. There are about $15 worth of costumes to buy plus all the hidden retailer stuff. Kinda turns me off from unlocking the in game stuff.

There are costumes to buy with real money? Thought it was all with in-game coins.

EBE

There are costumes to buy with real money? Thought it was all with in-game coins.

theyre extra costumes that arent even accessible in game. you have to go to the games store to buy them. like Ryse's costumes. it really isnt as bad as Stormwatch thinks

EBE

that was a gamestop preorder bonus but the KSR twitter said the retailer specific costumes would soon be made available for purchase. each pack of costumes is like 2 dollars apiece and they come with six male costumes and six female costumes.

Bessy67

OK, time for some updated impressions:

Tennis - So far this has been my favorite sport. It has been very responsive and I can easily aim my shots and add topspin or backspin. I do have some trouble with the lob shots but I think that's mostly just because I hit too hard.

Target Shooting - I was pleasantly surprised by this one. You simply point your finger and when it crosses over a target you automatically shoot. Again, it's very responsive and the cursor is very stable (not jittery like some other kinect games). There's a decent variety of targets (shielded, moving, extra bullseye, score changing, etc) and having to dodge the turret as well as stealing targets above the wall add a couple ways to disrupt your opponent

Wake Racing - Fun, but it feels like a missed opportunity. The controls work great for me, but the small number of tracks (unless there are more than the 4 that I've seen) start to get repetitive after a while. I also don't see much point in using any powerup other than the speed boost. It would have been nice if there were random powerup pickups on the courses similar to Mario Kart. Still fun, but somewhat lacking.

Soccer - My least favorite sport. It is easily the most repetitive and least responsive sport for me. All you do is pass the ball around until you get a shot, and I get way too many Kudo Tsunoda "This is what the bottom of an Avatar's foot looks like" moments. Maybe my kinect is just positioned poorly for this. I ordered a TV mount so we'll see if that helps

Bowling - Pretty fun. I can consistently aim where I'm shooting although I still haven't figured out spin. Still enjoyable though.

Rock Climbing - Another that is pretty enjoyable. There are multiple ways to traverse each climbing wall and the different handholds (green, red, crumbly white, and shock blue) add some variety and strategy. Plus I feel like this sport has the best variety of powerups; they all feel varied and useful

Rivals - The rivals system really adds a lot to the game. I've played against a few Gaffers now and was pretty surprised at how different their play styles actually were. It definitely is more enjoyable to me to challenge other people's champions rather than just playing generic AI characters

So those are my impressions from what I've played. I've enjoyed 5/6 sports and generally had a fun time so far. Extra sports and variations to the current sports would definitely be a welcome addition though as I could see the sports getting repetitive after a while. I'd probably give it a score somewhere in the 7.5 to 8 (out of 10) range.

EBE

OK, time for some updated impressions:

So those are my impressions from what I've played. I've enjoyed 5/6 sports and generally had a fun time so far. Extra sports and variations to the current sports would definitely be a welcome addition though as I could see the sports getting repetitive after a while. I'd probably give it a score somewhere in the 7.5 to 8 (out of 10) range.

pretty much agree with everything in this post. soccer is just not very fun. i dont play it AT ALL. tennis is by far the most competitive sport in the game. bessy has been at my heels on the Rivals leader boards from day one:

13765819405_c6d38c8727_z.jpg

and ive been working my up the global leaderboards as well. not too shabby:

13766184764_5af3a0ebd2_z.jpg

the Rivals system is really well done in this game. get better at an event and you'll always be matched with people from around the world that are at your same skill level. what that effectively means is that the sports should never get stale - you will always be kept on your toes. its a great system and i hope more games on the xbox one use it.

a 7.5/8.0 score sounds about right. reviews are way off base in my opinion. for anyone on the fence about this game, i say go for it. theres fun to be had here. or wait until there are some dlc sports (ive got to imagine thats a matter of when than if) if you want a bit more meat to your games. either way, KSR is a good game and a great display of the kinect's capabilites.

Doodis

Good to hear a few positive reviews. I was going to get this day one before the low scores, but still wanted to get it at some point. I might consider it sooner now.

How did they manage to make the soccer element worse than that in Ks1? Its horrendous in this. Also where is my goalkeeper mini game?

On a more positive note the rock climbing game is actually really fun. Had a little trouble picking me up when I was jumping for higher grip points but that was more the position of my camera than the game.

This is a great looking title. Everything is so vibrant

Alx

I finally could try a bit of each sport, besides of the tutorials. My general impression : the game is good and very polished, but does miss some of the charm of the original episodes.

General comments :
- it looks very pretty. Love the style.
- the avatar creator is quite amazing. I wasn't entirely satisfied with the results, but when looking for things to edit manually I couldn't find anything to change for the better. I only made my hair darker, and in the end the more I look at it it really looks like me. It's also quite surprising when meeting rivals to see characters that look like real people.
- the French translation is a mixed bag. The voice themselves are quite good, but there's no attempt at lip synching, which makes it a bit jarring. The coach is dubbed by the same actor as one of the main characters in Titanfall, which makes it a bit weird.
- Rare definitely has great talent for music selection, they really get you in the mood and fit the general theme. Which is a good thing because....
- ... loading times are quite annoying. One is bearable, but there should be no excuse to have the same loading time when you select "play again", everything should be already in memory.

Sport details :
- Bowling : well it's bowling. No surprise there, except that there's no free animation celebration between rounds ? Come on Rare, bragging is at least half the fun of bowling...
- Tennis : no big surprise either. Works well, and at least you can celebrate after points. Which makes you notice how great the body tracking is (no jittering, and good precision).
- Wake Race : same as in Preseason, so very good.
- Climbing : great fun. The different paths and addition of stamina makes it more interesting than what I played before (without it you can just rush to the top without much strategy).
- Shooting : maybe not as twitchy a gameplay that you would expect... it's entertaining enough though. I noticed that it's better played with a closed fist than with a pointing finger like in the demo (which is no surprise).
- Football : surprisingly fun too, while "it shouldn't" considered it's slightly enhanced goal shooting. As a game it's fun, but it feels less like playing the real things as in KS1 (especially since you're not defending any more). Another sport that makes you notice how great the body tracking is, though. I did have a few random positions when I got in complex situations like crumpling in a corner of the room to block a ball, but it's a rather extreme scenario. Also there is a short time to celebrate, which lets you remember how fun it can be.

So my comments to Rare for any update/sequel :
- please bring back the celebrations
- please bring back the minigames
- apart from those, great work. I hope it's only the beginning of a long serie of sports (please bring back volley-ball, and other sports that feel like playing the sport)

Now I need to choose my team. I wanted to be Viper, but I may be tempted by Eagles just for Carmen. :p

sangreal

for the comeback kid achievement, do you have to be down 40-love and 0-2 games and comeback? because I came back from 40-love to win a game and then the match but did not get the achievement

I also can't get shopaholic (buy something for each sport) to unlock (restarting the game unlocked it)

Ive gone from really enjoying rock climbing to it just not working and it becoming an infuriating mess. Seems to have a mind of its own at times.

Making me jump for ledges when I'm sat down, climbing down the wall when I'm trying to scale up it.

I'm actually thinking about attempting to get a refund on this as half of the games just do not seem to work for me in the space I have

EBE

Ive gone from really enjoying rock climbing to it just not working and it becoming an infuriating mess. Seems to have a mind of its own at times.

Making me jump for ledges when I'm sat down, climbing down the wall when I'm trying to scale up it.

I'm actually thinking about attempting to get a refund on this as half of the games just do not seem to work for me in the space I have

wait, youve been playing sitting down? ive played somewhere around 20 hours now and ive never once sat down. does your chair have tall arm rests?

wait, youve been playing sitting down? ive played somewhere around 20 hours now and ive never once sat down. does your chair have tall arm rests?

my living space is pretty cramped so it's either sit or stand on the sofa. Not sure why I expected it to ever work in that space.

I've just spoken to MS online support and they were happy to refund me for the game as I explained that it just doesn't work as well as it should due to my set up not giving it the best chance to work.

Would like to give them a big shout out actually as the girl who aided me through the process was extremely helpful and didn't have to be pushed to give me my money back. I had expected an issue with it being purchased from the US marketplace when I am based in the UK ,but she soon found my US account and put the refund through. Great customer service from MS

EBE

my living space is pretty cramped so it's either sit or stand on the sofa. Not sure why I expected it to ever work in that space.

I've just spoken to MS online support and they were happy to refund me for the game as I explained that it just doesn't work as well as it should due to my set up not giving it the best chance to work.

Would like to give them a big shout out actually as the girl who aided me through the process was extremely helpful and didn't have to be pushed to give me my money back. I had expected an issue with it being purchased from the US marketplace when I am based in the UK ,but she soon found my US account and put the refund through. Great customer service from MS

ah. sucks you couldnt get the game to work. ive been having a good time with it.
but at least you got your money refunded. ive had to go to microsoft support for other stuff in the past and ive always found them to be very helpful.

do you still have the game or do they cut off access to it?

Bessy67

OK, so I just got an above the TV mount for my kinect (it had been sitting on my entertainment center directly under the TV) and after setting it up and going through the kinect calibration settings again soccer works 100X better. It's seriously night and day. It's still probably my least favorite sport but at least it's playable now.

ah. sucks you couldnt get the game to work. ive been having a good time with it.
but at least you got your money refunded. ive had to go to microsoft support for other stuff in the past and ive always found them to be very helpful.

do you still have the game or do they cut off access to it?

I've not actually tried to play it again, but I'm assuming they'll revoke access to it.

I was half expecting them to refund me as credit to my account but they put it bank on my payment card which was a bonus

EBE

OK, so I just got an above the TV mount for my kinect (it had been sitting on my entertainment center directly under the TV) and after setting it up and going through the kinect calibration settings again soccer works 100X better. It's seriously night and day. It's still probably my least favorite sport but at least it's playable now.

for the purposes of science, i decided to remove my sensor from its wall mount (which is actually the original kinect's wall mount i never got rid of) and placed it under my tv and my experience was noticeably worse. it appears that the higher up you can have your kinect, the better. it really helps its wider field of view camera. ive seen too many twitch streams where the sensor is much too low. it makes me wonder how many people read the included instructions

ElNino

How is your Kinect now that it is above your TV?

My TV is in recessed media shelf above our fireplace (not exactly ideal, but it's the best location for it) so if I mounted the Kinect above the TV it would be quite high (probably 7-8 feet). My Kinect is on the media shelf in front of the TV and it is roughly 4 feet high, so I'm not sure if going higher would actually help anything. It seems to track me and my son fine as it is now, other than bowling which seems off to me compared to the KS1 version.

Shanlei91

for the purposes of science, i decided to remove my sensor from its wall mount (which is actually the original kinect's wall mount i never got rid of) and placed it under my tv and my experience was noticeably worse. it appears that the higher up you can have your kinect, the better. it really helps its wider field of view camera. ive seen too many twitch streams where the sensor is much too low. it makes me wonder how many people read the included instructions

Gah, it makes that big a difference? My Kinect is currently below my tv because when ontop of my tv it stares at the ceiling and I kind of don't want to buy the mount. But is it that big a difference in quality? For reference, when using hand gestures to navigate menus the cursor enjoys flying around.

EBE

Gah, it makes that big a difference? My Kinect is currently below my tv because when ontop of my tv it stares at the ceiling and I kind of don't want to buy the mount. But is it that big a difference in quality? For reference, when using hand gestures to navigate menus the cursor enjoys flying around.

every little bit higher you can have it results in a noticeably increase in reliability, in my experience. i need to stand much farther from the sensor if i want it to see my entire body when its under my tv (just think about it, the angle is that of a right triangle when its mounted). ive got it mounted at head level (im 6ft) and i dont need to stand very far at all

im not saying to go out and spend your money unnecessarily, or punch holes in your wall like i did with my mount, but if youre having problems with the kinect then just consider your options.

edit. also, you know you can angle the sensor down, right? thats what the hinge on the back is for

Alx

I had my first online game with a "live friend" (not avatar AI) and it was a lot of fun. Tiring, too. :p There is a small window of opportunity in bowling to strike silly poses after all, that's before grabbing the ball. Great times. Although it may make you grab the ball with the wrong hand.

abracadaver

Prices in the OP are wrong

60$ in the US

50£ / 70€ in Europe

We europeans are supposed to pay more for the same game again.

No thanks microsoft. Fix your prices.

Synth

60$ in the US

50£ / 70€ in Europe

I'm so glad I can buy things off the US store, otherwise I probably would have had to scrap my all-digital plans.

MrBlonde

I picked the game up today but didnt get to much time with it, my son was not cooperating and kept walking in front of me and the camera. I did the first 3 tutorials and the one story mission after for each.

Racing - seems solid, controls well, arms get a little tired and im a gym guy.

Rock Climbing - seems awesome, didnt think I would like this that much when I first heard this was in the game. My only issue is I dont have a ton of room and the game could not see my hands when I reach high. I might have to order a wall mount like I had with the 360 Kinect. Why the hell does nobody have any Xbox One wall mounts in stores, not even Gamestop? Looks like ill have to order one off Amazon and wait. They have a few choices, any suggestions?

Shooting - again, seems solid and controls well. just aim and it shoots automatically.

Up next is soccer which I am not looking forward to but I did not have time to try it. Looking forward to bowling and Tennis. I am hoping to get a chance tonight or tomorrow to play more.

EBE

60$ in the US

50£ / 70€ in Europe

thanks. i was using pre release info. its been updated.

thats pretty steep. MS really do need to change their pricing.

Rock Climbing - seems awesome, didnt think I would like this that much when I first heard this was in the game. My only issue is I dont have a ton of room and the game could not see my hands when I reach high. I might have to order a wall mount like I had with the 360 Kinect. Why the hell does nobody have any Xbox One wall mounts in stores, not even Gamestop? Looks like ill have to order one off Amazon and wait. They have a few choices, any suggestions?

do you still have the old kinect wall mount? its what i use. the base of the new kinect is wide enough that it remains balanced on those two prong things. its the rubber feet. minor earthquakes here in CA and it didnt move any.

MrBlonde

thanks. i was using pre release info. its been updated.

thats pretty steep. MS really do need to change their pricing.

do you still have the old kinect wall mount? its what i use. the base of the new kinect is wide enough that it remains balanced on those two prong things. its the rubber feet. minor earthquakes here in CA and it didnt move any.

nope, sold it to a friend at work with the kinect, darn. Gamestop has that one on there website so maybe i can find it in a store. So it screws on just the same and fits fine? Its the PDP wall mount right? Its only $4 and it looks like a store near me might have one

sangreal

nope, sold it to a friend at work with the kinect, darn. Gamestop has that one on there website so maybe i can find it in a store. So it screws on just the same and fits fine?

it doesn't have a screw (I tried taking it apart, but no dice), but the base for the kinect fits perfectly on it

at least not the one I have. if there is a mount with a screw, it should fit fine

EBE

nope, sold it to a friend at work with the kinect, darn. Gamestop has that one on there website so maybe i can find it in a store. So it screws on just the same and fits fine? Its the PDP wall mount right? Its only $4 and it looks like a store near me might have one

it doesnt actually screw on. if youll remember, the original kinect wall mount had a base that attached to the kinect itself that then slid into place on the prong "hands". that base isnt compatible with the kinect 2.0, but the "hands" are still wide and sturdy enough to support it. it definitely would be your cheapest option if you could find one at gamestop, as wall mounts for either version of the kinect are around $20-30 online. although if you still have reservations about your kinect 2 sensor not actually "screwing" onto the the old kinect 1 wall mount youll have to shell out the appropriate amount of money anyway.

oh, so you just rest it on there but its not screwed in. that makes me a little nervous

dont be. it works just fine. your call.

MrBlonde

it doesnt actually screw on. if youll remember, the original kinect wall mount had a base that attached to the kinect itself that then slid into place on the prong "hands". that base isnt compatible with the kinect 2.0, but the "hands" are still wide and sturdy enough to support it. it definitely would be your cheapest option if you could find one at gamestop, as wall mounts for either version of the kinect are around $20-30 online. although if you still have reservations about your kinect 2 sensor not actually "screwing" onto the the old kinect 1 wall mount youll have to shell out the appropriate amount of money anyway.

dont be. it works just fine. your call.

thanks for the feedback, wish i had my old one, its been a while so i forgot exactly how it worked. not sure which way im going to do it but i think i need it on the wall again. I might even just run to Lowes tomorrow and rig something with some cheap wall brackets or something.

Redshirt

Banned
Anyone know how to pass to the center in soccer in a way that sets him up for a header? I do it sometimes by accident but can't do it consistently.

I have the same problem with lobs in tennis. Anyone got that down?

EBE

Anyone know how to pass to the center in soccer in a way that sets him up for a header? I do it sometimes by accident but can't do it consistently.

I have the same problem with lobs in tennis. Anyone got that down?

lobs can be tricky. you need to backspin a late shot to draw your opponent to front of the court. your next shot should then be a fluid motion upward (like a paintbrush) in the direction you wish to lob. you have to be careful, as your opponent may still be able to run backwards for a smash hit, which can be hard to return. i recommend lobbing your shots only if you have the perfect hit powerup equipped, as that will more or less ensure your lobs go all the way to the end of your opponents court, making them all but impossible to hit.

if you yourself have be drawn out to the front of the court, return your next shot directly in front of you (if youve been draw to the front left side of the court, hit there, if right front, hit there). DO NOT HIT DIAGONALLY ACROSS THE COURT. your opponent will be able to shoot toward your open flank for an easy win. if you know youre playing against a Rival that likes to draw you in, come equipped with the shrink power up. it will mess up their timing and allow you to safely recover from being so up close. be careful, though, as the perfect hit powerup cancels out a shrink (you can use this yourself as well)

conversely, if youre playing against a Rival that enjoys long rallies (me), equip the stamina power up. youll last longer on the court and youll be able to reach harder shots.

tennis is really great. this whole game is great. lots of strategy. and thats just tennis.

soccer sucks though

sangreal

lobs can be tricky. you need to backspin a late shot to draw your opponent to front of the court. your next shot should then be a fluid motion upward (like a paintbrush) in the direction you wish to lob. you have to be careful, as your opponent may still be able to run backwards for a smash hit, which can be hard to return. i recommend lobbing your shots only if you have the perfect hit powerup equipped, as that will more or less ensure your lobs go all the way to the end of your opponents court, making them all but impossible to hit.

if you yourself have be drawn out to the front of the court, return your next shot directly in front of you (if youve been draw to the front left side of the court, hit there, if right front, hit there). DO NOT HIT DIAGONALLY ACROSS THE COURT. your opponent will be able to shoot toward your open flank for an easy win. if you know youre playing against a Rival that likes to draw you in, come equipped with the shrink power up. it will mess up their timing and allow you to safely recover from being so up close. be careful, though, as the perfect hit powerup cancels out a shrink (you can use this yourself as well)

conversely, if youre playing against a Rival that enjoys long rallies (me), equip the stamina power up. youll last longer on the court and youll be able to reach harder shots.

tennis is really great. this whole game is great. lots of strategy. and thats just tennis.

soccer sucks though

I figured you must like Tennis, considering your avatar beats me every single game

In my defense, that sport barely works for me though

Alx

oh, so you just rest it on there but its not screwed in. that makes me a little nervous

By the way, kinect 2 does have a threaded hole that is the same standard as camera supports, like tripods etc. I happened to have a wall support for such cameras and it helped a lot, so it may be possible to find a solid support among camera accessories rather than game accessories (for example, those fancy tripods made of articulated balls that can cling to anything are supported)

sku_2332_1.jpg

EBE

I figured you must like Tennis, considering your avatar beats me every single game

In my defense, that sport barely works for me though

lol. its definitely my most played sport. im rank 20 and everything. currently sitting at number 4 or 5 on the global leaderboards (which dont tally up wins, but rather fans, so take that as you will). wish the game had a standard multiplayer set up like the previous games. id love to challenge randoms from time to time. i dont understand how that didnt make the cut.
By the way, kinect 2 does have a threaded hole that is the same standard as camera supports, like tripods etc. I happened to have a wall support for such cameras and it helped a lot, so it may be possible to find a solid support among camera accessories rather than game accessories (for example, those fancy tripods made of articulated balls that can cling to anything are supported)

first ive ever heard of this. how has no one ever mentioned this. cool find.

Rare tweeted this a few hours ago:

http://rare.co.uk/news/kinect-sports-rivals-gameplay-faq

fifth answer seems to imply there will be free story dlc for the three teams. pretty cool. hope you can switch teams to see the different sides once theyre all out.

Top Bottom