• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect Sports Rivals |OT| Preseason’s over, it’s time to take sides

EBE

tempted, so tempted. never played the original, or wii sports for that matter, so all events would be fresh. i LOVED the jet ski demo - it worked flawlessly, and bowling and tennis seem like a natural fit.

my big question: will my 3 year old be able to have fun with it? she tries to play the jet ski demo but as you can imagine she doesnt have the coordination and understanding of how it should work. will bowling/rock climbing/shooting be more intuitive? does anyone have small children that can shed some light on their experiences?
i think 3 years might be a bit too young, sadly. the various events, even at the their simplest, are just too technical for a child of that age to enjoy. i still think it would make a great party game regardless. its something you could probably enjoy by yourself in short bursts or with your significant other. i suppose theres always a chance your kid could take a liking to one of the events and really master it, but.. i dont know
I don't think the game is terrible (except tennis -- wtf), but it should be nowhere near $60. It should be a free pack-in, really, especially considering it is ad supported
exactly what problems do you have with tennis? the timing of the shots? i think it plays pretty well, if a bit slow. i wouldve much preferred table tennis, to be honest. and saying its ad supported is a bit much. dont want anyone to think you have to sit through commercials after all
Hey there,

I had to rearrange my furniture because I live in quite a small apartment. That wasn't the issue that I had though. The issue was that even though the Kinect had a FULL view of my body (as evident in the diagram and also my kinect settings), it was extremely finicky. I would get that constant dialogue coming up where my lower or top half of my body wasn't viewable which would mean that i'd have to pick up a controller to move it away. IT was THIS dialogue box that was so frustrating because as far as I could tell, my body was in full view and the game was working fine.

Weird that people had a hard time with rock climbing. I found that there was a certain skill to it but I didn't feel that it was the Kinects fault..
thats certainly very strange if you could fit in the sensor's view. i had the same dialogue box appear once but i only because it couldnt quite see my hands in rock climbing (i fixed that). i appreciate your review and wasnt trying to dismiss it or anything.
I've added you both, ElNino77 is my GT if anyone wants to add me.

The game wasn't delivered for me today, but tracking shows it should be here tomorrow.

cool, man. you can begin playing fairly early into the installation, but i waited it out so i dont whats available right out of the gate.

i chose Viper Network as my team. i think the two team leaders had more personality than the rest. i actually kind of like them for as bare bones as the "story" is.

and wow. the soundtrack for this game is pretty cool. its no Forza Horizon, but its good.

edit.. also for those who've played.. will my 3 year old be picked up by Kinect you think for bowling? I want to see if he can give that game a try. Just the bowling. It picks his face up and signs him in, but wondering about the controls.

read my first reply. its a maybe.

edit. oh, if the sensor will pick him up? i dont know. might be too short

Looks at metacritic . . . 64.

Wow. Microsoft, what have you done? This is why people should pay $100 more for your console? Oh man.

Could pay 100 less and get scores like Knack! Eyyyy yooo! ;)

read my first reply. its a maybe.

edit. oh, if the sensor will pick him up? i dont know. might be too short

Right on.. will give it a try. Ya.. picks up his face.. funny thing is it picks up his brothers face too, who is 1 year old but it thinks they're the same person. They do look alike. Ha.. pretty funny. I guess I'll just have to find out for myself. Hopefully he can bowl with me.

I tried the waverace demo and jesus.... Maybe I just suck but it handles like complete shit, I felt like I had zero control what so ever and crashed into almost every single wall that I could. The whole time I was thinking this would be so much better with a controller. Quite possibly the shittiest controlling game I've played alongside some original Kinect games. If this is the best example of gaming with Kinect then I've lost all hope for Kinect as a gaming device and it's sad to see that this is what Rare is wasting their time on.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I find wake racing really easy to handle - I've become pretty good at it, of course I unlocked every pre-season reward for every month that it was available so I had lots of experience prior to the actual release. Overall, from my very initial impressions, I feel like Kinect Sports Rivals should have probably been packed into the Xbox One - or be a free download when it was released. It's probably not worth the full price tag for most people, even if I do think it is pretty fun.

I could have really seen myself loving this game if it had stayed a launch title, but after being delayed and being out at a time when my library is bigger and there are more options to play, I just don't see myself playing this game very often. Maybe once a month.

Still, I don't regret buying it, it's a fun game.

EBE

i dont know what the hell just happened but ive been getting matched with some RIDICULOUSLY hard drivatars now(i know this isnt forza, but i dont what else to call them). maybe i was doing too good? i am in the top 10 on the hub leaderboards for a few events but COME ON..

rock climbing was infuriating just now. SO HARD. god help you if you get pulled of the cliff face. its not the fall that kills you.. speaks well to how competitive the game could get, i guess. but yikes. i was having a rough time

i dont know what the hell just happened but ive been getting matched with some RIDICULOUSLY hard drivatars now(i know this isnt forza, but i dont what else to call them). maybe i was doing too good? i am in the top 10 on the hub leaderboards for a few events but COME ON..

rock climbing was infuriating just now. SO HARD. god help you if you get pulled of the cliff face. its not the fall that kills you.. speaks well to how competitive the game could get, i guess. but yikes. i was having a rough time
Same here! Crazy hard to beat some of them.

Caayn

I tried the waverace demo and jesus.... Maybe I just suck but it handles like complete shit, I felt like I had zero control what so ever and crashed into almost every single wall that I could. The whole time I was thinking this would be so much better with a controller. Quite possibly the shittiest controlling game I've played alongside some original Kinect games. If this is the best example of gaming with Kinect then I've lost all hope for Kinect as a gaming device and it's sad to see that this is what Rare is wasting their time on.
Think handle bars like a jet ski/motorcycle not steering wheel like a car.

trinest

How do you screw up a game this badly.

Seriously its leagues worse then the 360 Kinect Sports games which were pretty dam good if not better then Wii Sports.

Then you have this which its pushing hand control doesn't really work. It feels it doesn't detect stuff as well as the 360 games. It forces you into some bullshit tutorial mode, I don't give two shits about Wakeboarding I just want to go in and play a game of bowling, how fucking hard is that? Seriously the game just forces on you random fricken missions instead of letting me pick the sport I want to play.

Its a disaster, impossible to play. Gross.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Then you have this which its pushing hand control doesn't really work. It feels it doesn't detect stuff as well as the 360 games. It forces you into some bullshit tutorial mode, I don't give two shits about Wakeboarding I just want to go in and play a game of bowling, how fucking hard is that? Seriously the game just forces on you random fricken missions instead of letting me pick the sport I want to play.

Its a disaster, impossible to play. Gross.

I had the exact same experience last night!! I bought it booted it up created two characters, went to play a round of bowling. NOPE! 20 minutes of tutorials, my lady wanted to customize her character, I had no idea how to customize hers as it would seem to only give the option for mine so had to switch the main profile. Forcing us into the tutorials AGAIN! Then finally after about 45 minutes we finally got to play a round of fucking bowling.

Seriously where the fuck is the skip tutorial button.

Nothing that I've seen, but I marked out hard for the Battletoads stuff. My experience with the game was really scattershot, and it made it tough to score. Trying to play with the super-sensitive camera resulting in that screen darkening and obscuring stuff was too tough - but the game worked really well and it was just...weird.

Redshirt

Banned
To those who have the game, are there any references to past Rare games (other than the Battle Toads gear)?

Yeah, several of them at least. EBE mentioned them on the previous page.

my big question: will my 3 year old be able to have fun with it?

also for those who've played.. will my 3 year old be picked up by Kinect you think for bowling?

In my experience, three is too young. Four-and-a-half is when my niece started to get motion controls even though she had been using touch controls like a pro since she was two.

So I put a few hours into this game last night and I'm pleased. The avatar building was a great intro, the graphics are beautiful and the presentation is rock solid. The cutscenes need a skippable option for sure, but I like the addition as they help the game to feel like a complete product and not just a standard collection of motion games. I like the sports selection for the most part and have had success in all of them, but I feel the target shooting gets a little buggy when I aim high. Maybe I have to adjust the camera? I'm REALLY enjoying Rock Climbing and Wake Racing, and Bowling is great too. Soccer is fun and Tennis is OK (I wish the game didn't force certain types of shots), but I hope we see some improvements and mini-games in a coming update. I also think the game could use about 2 additional sports to keep things fresh. Overall, though, I like the game.

C4Lukins

Trying my first Twitch broadcast while I drink a 12 pack and learn to play Kinect Sports. Twitch username is C4Lukin if anyone wants to watch me get drunk and act the fool.

sangreal

Trying my first Twitch broadcast while I drink a 12 pack and learn to play Kinect Sports. Twitch username is C4Lukin if anyone wants to watch me get drunk and act the fool.

stream keeps going to pause screen -- based on the video feed I'm guessing kinect is complaining that your hands are too high (I actually play climbing sitting down because of this, but that causes its own problems)

I wish it didn't rely on open/closing hand because otherwise I find climbing pretty fun

e: looks like whatever the issue was is sorted now

EBE

lol. giving it a watch.

looks like your sensor is a bit too far down. might cause problems. higher than 2ft is recommended. ive got mine mounted at 6ft angled slightly down. sees all of my body and a great deal of my room

Chettlar

Banned
Looks at metacritic . . . 64.

Wow. Microsoft, what have you done? This is why people should pay $100 more for your console? Oh man.

Is it bad of me that I'm glad it got such mediocre reviews?

Maybe it's just because in the back of my mind it makes me hopeful Rare will try making something different and non-Kinect now, since the thing that was previously earning them millions of dollars isn't really doing that now, so the main reason we assume they are doing it for is now nonexistent.

EBE

Is it bad of me that I'm glad it got such mediocre reviews?

Maybe it's just because in the back of my mind it makes me hopeful Rare will try making something different and non-Kinect now, since the thing that was previously earning them millions of dollars isn't really doing that now, so the main reason we assume they are doing it for is now nonexistent.

the game just came out and on new hardware. the previous games sold well and they were in the same general area review-wise.

but yes. i think Rare might have an announcement come e3.

EBE

I'm really enjoying the Rivals stuff. It just feels more fun than playing against a generic AI opponent. Here's a clip of me scoring a point after a nice rally with EBE's champion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyHpOPS08F0

yo i remember that! i was like what the fuck? your rival is pretty good. ive played against him a few times. its made some good saves in tennis

edit. actually, that sounds like i was playing that same match. i wasnt. but the Rivals data that you play against is pretty spot on to how the other player.. erm. plays.

Plasma

Banned
I've just seen a video for the football in this, is the whole mode against those training dummies? It looks worse than how it played in the original Kinect Sports.

EBE

I've just seen a video for the football in this, is the whole mode against those training dummies? It looks worse than how it played in the original Kinect Sports.

as much as ive been enjoying the game, yes, the whole mode is like that. its a missed opportunity and honestly a step back for the sport.

EBE

And it doesn't have the superior shooting & saving mini-games /stillbitter.

DLC hopefully? please make it happen, Rare. would do wonders for the replay value.

on a side note, i just got done playing against sangreal's Rival and boy is it UNCANNY just how different everyones Rivals feel. sangreal is all about adding that backspin to his shots and tripping you up with that timing of the power reduction. by comparison, bessy67 is much more active about hitting hard and fast. sangreal, step yo game up.

Plasma

Banned
as much as ive been enjoying the game, yes, the whole mode is like that. its a missed opportunity and honestly a step back for the sport.

Well that sucks, as shallow as the gamemode was in the original that was the one I had the most fun playing.

MrBlonde

picking my copy up Friday on my day off. Not being able to skip tutorials and someone having issues customizing a second avatar worries me, I know my fiancee is going to want her own customized avatar and no way in hell do i want to sit through tutorials again and make a 2nd profile.

EBE

I have a feeling this game will be well supported, With add on packs coming monthly....Well I am hoping it will :)
me too. more sports would be welcome. and minigames (featuring classic Rare characters instead of those food mascots in the first game) would be awesome.
picking my copy up Friday on my day off. Not being able to skip tutorials and someone having issues customizing a second avatar worries me, I know my fiancee is going to want her own customized avatar and no way in hell do i want to sit through tutorials again and make a 2nd profile.
the tutorials arent very long. at most two minutes for each sport. theyre pretty succinct. and i dont know the other posters problem with the avatars, but itd probably be best to make your fiancee her own console profile (so it saves any champion data)

C4Lukins

So I went 12 beers. I am wondering if I should order another 12. But could none of you hear me? I was trying to. Explain shit and nobody seemed to get me.

ElNino

I have a feeling this game will be well supported, With add on packs coming monthly....Well I am hoping it will :)
Both KS1 and KS2 were, so I don't see any reason why this one wouldn't.

I agree about the mini games, those were some of the most fun modes in the other games so I hope to see them make a come back.

Chobel

Does it have AI that works like Drivatar in Forza? I remember reading that it will behave like Forza.

EBE

Does it have AI that works like Drivatar in Forza? I remember reading that it will behave like Forza.

it does. quoting myself:

on a side note, i just got done playing against sangreal's Rival and boy is it UNCANNY just how different everyones Rivals feel. sangreal is all about adding that backspin to his shots and tripping you up with that timing of the power reduction. by comparison, bessy67 is much more active about hitting hard and fast. sangreal, step yo game up

Ohmbrew

Just an FYI to anyone interested - after I signed up for the Kinect Sports Rivals World Championships, I received a confirming email from Microsoft which also included a code for a Perfect Dark Outfit Pack to be used in game.

They look pretty sharp!

Just an FYI to anyone interested - after I signed up for the Kinect Sports Rivals World Championships, I received a confirming email from Microsoft which also included a code for a Perfect Dark Outfit Pack to be used in game.

They look pretty sharp!
What?! No way! Jealous! I signed up the first day and don't remember getting anything. Let me check!

Top Bottom