• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect Sports Rivals |OT| Preseason’s over, it’s time to take sides

Redshirt

Banned
Thanks for the tennis tips. I'll give them a go tomorrow. I just saw there's a mini-guide for Headed Goal on TrueAchievements.

I only have the lob, header and spend 500K achievements left for 1K.

Bessy67

EBE is OP! I can beat your champion in tennis but I never get enough points to actually win the rivals challenge. You need a nerf.

zebwinz

Man, this game is pretty fun but it really shows that under the TV is not the best position for Kinect. Tennis, wake racing, shooting, and bowling work great for me. Climbing works ok, but soccer is a mess. It activates my power up on its own all the time and I've missed several shots.

EBE

EBE is OP! I can beat your champion in tennis but I never get enough points to actually win the rivals challenge. You need a nerf.
lol. im the Halo CE pistol of kinect sports rivals tennis. im never getting a nerf.. your champion is actually the hardest out of all the GAF members. second only to those developer champions. now THOSE guys are OP. cheating bastards.

Man, this game is pretty fun but it really shows that under the TV is not the best position for Kinect. Tennis, wake racing, shooting, and bowling work great for me. Climbing works ok, but soccer is a mess. It activates my power up on its own all the time and I've missed several shots.

it really isnt. luckily soccer is the only event that really requires your lower body. the first two KS games were lousy with sports that involved running place. you should look into placing your sensor somewhere higher up.

This is absurd. Why we should pay 70 EUR (97 USD!!!) compared to 60 USD (43 EUR!!!) in US.

Buy from the US store and you won't have to. I just bought this (downloading now) via the method below;

1- Buy Amazon.com gift card for yourself.
2- Redeem it in your account.
3- Add a US Address to your account.
4- Buy online code for microsoft points using the US Address as the delivery info.
5- Redeem code on X-Box.com
6- Buy whatever you want from the US Store.

Caayn

Buy from the US store and you won't have to. I just bought this (downloading now) via the method below;

1- Buy Amazon.com gift card for yourself.
2- Redeem it in your account.
3- Add a US Address to your account.
4- Buy online code for microsoft points using the US Address as the delivery info.
5- Redeem code on X-Box.com
6- Buy whatever you want from the US Store.
Alternatively you can use this method if you want to pay with a credit card/paypal.

Prices on XBL(and practically every other DD service) outside of the US are skewed, and it became high time that we finally get price parity on those services. It's crazy that if you live outside of the US that you need to pay 50% more for the exact same product.

abracadaver

Downloading now :-o

Registered for the world championship and got the perfect dark costume

Do you get the killer instinct costumes for owning killer instinct ?

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Two questions:

1) How does the world championship work? Are our rankings updated automatically from anything we do in-game?

2) Are we not able to play against others online?

EBE

Two questions:

1) How does the world championship work? Are our rankings updated automatically from anything we do in-game?

2) Are we not able to play against others online?

once youve signed up you will need to have unlocked the bowling, wake racing, and climbing sports from the main "story". wake racing and climbing will require 20 and 60 minutes respectively of additional play time before a separate course within each sport is made available. course times for these events are what will determine your leaderboard position (the bowling event is unlocked from the start and leader board position is determined by your score - a perfect 300 is the highest you can get). the top positions on the leaderboards will then compete live at the san diego comic con for a $10,000 cash prize

source 1 and 2

and no you cannot:

Q: How do I start a multiplayer game over Xbox Live?
A: Kinect Sports Rivals is focused on personal rivalry, so people that you want to play against online must be added to your Friends list – this automatically marks them as an in-game Rival. Select the My Game option when connected to Xbox Live to see your Friends list, then choose an opponent and send them an invite! You can also invite anyone who's in a Party with you, or select a specific opponent via their pop-up on the island map.
When playing together over Xbox Live, the player who sent the invite (the Host) selects events from a list of recommendations. Don't forget that you can still send challenges to your Rivals' Champions even if your Rivals are offline!

source

its kind of lame but it sort of makes sense? i do hope they patch in real online play

MrBlonde

I bought 2 small L shaped metal brackets from lowes for $3, worked perfect. Put the Kinect in the same spot the old one was in and adjusted the angle. Seems to be working better now but I havnt tried rock climbing again yet. When I went to the Kinect setting and adjusted the angle it sees me great including the floor in front of me and my hand when I reach high so hopefully no more issues

Bessy67

Holy crap this game seems to have the false impression that I'm amazing at wake racing. I pretty much have to run 3 perfect laps while tricking off of every possible wave and ramp in order to even place in the top 3.

sangreal

Holy crap this game seems to have the false impression that I'm amazing at wake racing. I pretty much have to run 3 perfect laps while tricking off of every possible wave and ramp in order to even place in the top 3.

That's pretty much how the final course is for me, but the funny thing is that your champion is always the one kicking my ass

EBE

haha. thats me but with tennis. i keep getting matched against developer Champions and theyre just straight up broken: they dont tire, they make impossible saves, they hit super fast, etc.

had a cool match a while ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ6Uld55ObE

i was down 0-2 and honestly didnt think id have a chance. made a pretty great comeback if i do say so myself

abracadaver

Why do the scores on the kinect sports championship not update for me ? Still shows 0:00:00 for climbing and racing and zero points for bowling.

EBE

Why do the scores on the kinect sports championship not update for me ? Still shows 0:00:00 for climbing and racing and zero points for bowling.

Rare have admitted their systems arent updating very quickly on a lot of players ends. they say they have all the data though. theyve talked about it on their twitter with a few followers

Bessy67

Does anyone know how to hit aces in tennis? I'm trying to do the challenge for 20 aces and I still only have 4. I try to vary my spots but I can never seem to actually get it past the other player.

Tizzie

Neo Member
Just got the game, loving it. I'm having almost zero problems with the Kinect so I'm not really sure why these reviews are complaining so much about it... And on top of that my living room isn't that well lit up as well.

It may be because these reviewers are spoiled with having the idea of a perfect motion sensor... which doesn't exist.

nillapuddin

Gameplay through Wake racing (tried and tested) and Rock Climbing (surprisingly great first impression) has been fantastic

Avatar creation for both my GF and I was just about spot on (she changed her hair style afterwards)

But HOLY SHIT these unskippable videos and tut's are awful beyond reason.

I also really do not care for the fact you have to unlock the sports in the order they want you to, I want to do whatever I want, whenever I want. No bueno.

Will likely grind through all the tuts for both of us one evening while shes at work or something so that we can play freely when we have the time

sangreal

Gameplay through Wake racing (tried and tested) and Rock Climbing (surprisingly great first impression) has been fantastic

Avatar creation for both my GF and I was just about spot on (she changed her hair style afterwards)

But HOLY SHIT these unskippable videos and tut's are awful beyond reason.

I also really do not care for the fact you have to unlock the sports in the order they want you to, I want to do whatever I want, whenever I want. No bueno.

Will likely grind through all the tuts for both of us one evening while shes at work or something so that we can play freely when we have the time

FYI, you can skip all the training events (but not the cutscenes) by just quitting. This will unlock the next sport

EBE

Does anyone know how to hit aces in tennis? I'm trying to do the challenge for 20 aces and I still only have 4. I try to vary my spots but I can never seem to actually get it past the other player.

if you wait before serving up your shot your opponent's Rival will sometimes change his stance to a more relaxed one. it looks like this might be the best time to hit an ace. i personally havent gotten more than one ace in a row. you could also probably just invite a friend to a match and "cheat" it that way.

ive ranked up past Gold tier which i thought would be the max. it appears theres at least one more tier, but leveling up now looks like it will take a very long while. i do hope theres some sort of pay off at the end

nillapuddin

FYI, you can skip all the training events (but not the cutscenes) by just quitting. This will unlock the next sport

so I found out after the first one, I appreciate the reiteration though, Ill make sure to always do that

still, between loading times -> unskip video -> start race -> quit race -> loading screens

its quite the hassle : /

Durock

Loving it myself so far, though I feel like bowling is a bit worse-for-wear when compared to the first game.

Anyone have any idea on how to get the KI costumes?

Alx

Just got the game, loving it. I'm having almost zero problems with the Kinect so I'm not really sure why these reviews are complaining so much about it... And on top of that my living room isn't that well lit up as well.

It may be because these reviewers are spoiled with having the idea of a perfect motion sensor... which doesn't exist.

That may be the trick actually... the lower the ambiant light, the less chances there are it interferes with the kinect IR. I suppose you only need good lighting for the avatar creation, and even then I made mine in a dimly lit room, and despite the warnings it worked great.
I suspect many people having issues with the environment trying to turn up the lights and just making it worse.

btw, I noticed I got the KI costumes, although I never bought the game, only downloaded the "free" package, and played a few rounds/challenges.

Loving it myself so far, though I feel like bowling is a bit worse-for-wear when compared to the first game.

Anyone have any idea on how to get the KI costumes?

Do you own KI? I do and the costumes were just waiting for me, so I assumed it was because of that.

As for the game, I'm enjoying it a lot more than gaming press it seems. I've got a medium-sized living room and have about 6ft between my sofa and Kinect and I've only had to adjust the tilt depending on whether Kinect needs to focus on hands or feet. I really don't have a problem with that.

Climbing was probably the biggest surprise, in terms of how much fun it was and shooting turned out quite good as well. Got to give Rare props for the art-style as well, very bold look and I think they've pulled it of well. Cut-scenes are a bit jarring though.

I need more time with it, but so far it gets a solid 7 from me.

DEADEVIL

Game is a hit in my house. Everyone loves it as much as the first two.

Same here. The character creation is priceless. Blows everyone away. That is a game unto itself. I'm a huge K-sports fan, but I wouldnt play unless i was playing with others. Like wii sports I never wanted a ridiculous edge when fam and friends played.

I have to admit that K-Sports R. actually gives a real incentive to master all the events.

As for the game, original bowling IMO was the best bowling game in consoles. KS Rivals actually topped it, by adding more realistic control to the spin.

Rock climbing really is a blast like many have said, but I dig the new soccer and tennis as well. (although I see Tennis is going to take a little more practice than I thoought)

Still really hoping MS/Rare add new DLC sports (3-point B-ball and darts pleeease). But even if they don't I can see this game having long legs down the line for X1.

Durock

So I'm guessing the input and such for the sports just wildly varies. I've read a lot of complaints about Tennis not working properly, yet for me it seems just fine. Same with pretty much all of the other sports, except for Bowling. Doesn't work as well as the original KS for some reason (for me!).

The new Xbox One update is rolling out tonight with improved Kinect functionality, so maybe that will improve upon the motion capabilities of some of the sports as well?

Doodis

The new Xbox One update is rolling out tonight with improved Kinect functionality, so maybe that will improve upon the motion capabilities of some of the sports as well?

I really wouldn't get your hopes up for this. I think it's more system-level stuff, such as responding to voice commands and such. I think if they'd updated the functionality with KSR we'd have heard about it.

EBE

I really wouldn't get your hopes up for this. I think it's more system-level stuff, such as responding to voice commands and such. I think if they'd updated the functionality with KSR we'd have heard about it.

KSR does have a fairly large voice command component though (which i dont use much, i think the push to accept thing works fine). heck, even the push to accept control might see some benefit from the update. Rare did largely develop a lot of the kinect functions after all.

great to see more people enjoying the game here on GAF. i thought its reception would be just a bit more tepid than its turned out to be. i may just add a section to the OT for a gamertag swap if enough people are interested. get a little friendly competition going on. i dont know what you guys think

outsida

I can't believe they didn't include golf, that was the best game imo, soccer is such a joke on this.

Still really hoping MS/Rare add new DLC sports (3-point B-ball and darts pleeease). But even if they don't I can see this game having long legs down the line for X1.

Golf and Volleyball are the most requested removed sports by my kids and S/O. I would be happy if the put Darts back in as well.

DEADEVIL

Golf and Volleyball are the most requested removed sports by my kids and S/O. I would be happy if the put Darts back in as well.

I love the golf game in the second KS as well. But your kids may be on to something, After what Rare pulled off with bowling, I'd love to have volleyball and golf back.

In my opinion, a definitive motion controlled Mini-golf game with an actually budget would be HUGE hit for families. Hell, I'd take it for DLC as well. Maybe the indies will jump on it.

ElNino

So I'm guessing the input and such for the sports just wildly varies. I've read a lot of complaints about Tennis not working properly, yet for me it seems just fine. Same with pretty much all of the other sports, except for Bowling. Doesn't work as well as the original KS for some reason (for me!).
I have noticed the same for me so far. Every sport other than Bowling has worked great for me, even Tennis requires me to be way more accurate with my swing timing than I had anticipated given some of the review comments.

Bowling on the other hand seems to not work well at all for me... unless I'm doing something wrong. Bowling on KS1 worked great for me, and I never had any troubles aiming or spinning the ball either way. In KSR though, the ball always goes either perfectly straight or left/right into the gutter. It doesn't seem to handle small differences in my aiming very well.

StillEdge

The whole KSR World Championships is an interesting idea, but some of these people have to be cheating somehow, right? I just don't see how 2:10 is possible on the wake racing course, or how 40 seconds is possible on the climbing course.

https://www.ksrchampionship.com/#leaderboard
I'm currently #10 on that. I have no idea how they are getting such a high score in climbing it seems impossible. If I bowl a 300 I think that might guarantee me a top 4 spot.

PopfulMail

Has anyone experienced weird audio issues in the menus? Music is all messed up.

Had this happen the first time I played. All bg music was distorted and beyond annoying. I ejected the disc and started it up again... haven't had the problem since.

sangreal

Just tried to play, but it is trying (and failing) to update. was there any update announced, and is anyone else having issues?

EBE

Had this happen the first time I played. All bg music was distorted and beyond annoying. I ejected the disc and started it up again... haven't had the problem since.

yeah. it comes and goes it seems. not having the problem today.

Just tried to play, but it is trying (and failing) to update. was there any update announced, and is anyone else having issues?

i believe the update was a fix for people not seeing preorder costumes in their locker. which is weird because i own Killer Instinct but cant find the costume for that.

havent had any problems with bowling. i think its way more accurate than what was in KS1. i just wish there were real online play with in game lobbies. how cool would that be?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I just picked this up and the audio for the cutscenes isn't working correctly at all, it's completely stuttery and the video is slower than the audio. I tried restarting the Xbox but it's still happening.

EBE

you guys can earn the Rare outfit pack by watching all six sports videos available here and clicking on each video's interactive pin (one for each video - wake racing, climbing, and tennis have two, so 9 total)

these are the outfits (different promo, though):

oyyWJM9.jpg

edit. and if you guys dont see it in your locker, back out to the dashboard, select 'manage game' for KSR, and it should appear there ready for download. it doesnt download automatically it seems

Durock

you guys can earn the Rare outfit pack by watching all six sports videos available here and clicking on each video's interactive pin (one for each video - wake racing, climbing, and tennis have two, so 9 total)

these are the outfits (different promo, though):

oyyWJM9.jpg

edit. and if you guys dont see it in your locker, back out to the dashboard, select 'manage game' for KSR, and it should appear there ready for download. it doesnt download automatically it seems

Thanks for this! Will definitely be doing this. Would you happen to know anything about the KI outfits? I have the game (of course!) but didn't receive the outfits, assuming it is based on having a save file of KI as some others have reported.

EBE

Thanks for this! Will definitely be doing this. Would you happen to know anything about the KI outfits? I have the game (of course!) but didn't receive the outfits, assuming it is based on having a save file of KI as some others have reported.

im not sure myself either. i also own the game but dont have the outfits in my locker. maybe its tied to something more than just owning the game? matches played, wins, something like that? i believe poster sangreal has got the outfits somehow (im pretty sure ive seen his Rival rock a Chief Thunder shirt in bowling). wish i could help. i want them too:(

Caayn

Thanks EBE, just got it. Needed to do it twice though as the first time it didn't unlock for me.
I've got the KI outfit but only played a handful of matches, and those were against the AI. Maybe it's glitchy?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I had a play of it today. It's very good and the graphics are awesome.

I'm used to the Kinect 1, Kinect 2 felt a lot more accurate and responsive. It made a big difference in terms of responsiveness.

Played this more at PAX. The line for basic bug smashing and cute hamster ipad games was longer than the line for this. Basically this game sucks! The grabbing gimmick is so annoying. It only worked half the time making it frustrating. They cut all the fun minigames. I especially loved those soccer minigames in the first one. All senior management and game designers should be fired for this POS travesty. Can't believe this was delayed. I love the kinect concept but Microsoft has fumbled at the 1 yard line and basically blown it.

Top Bottom