• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KINGSGLAIVE: Final Fantasy XV Thread: Everything for the future king

Ydelnae

I still think it's silly to think that FFVIIR:E1 would just be the Midgar section. They said every episode would be as big as one of the FFXIII games roughly, so around 40-60 hours mainline story. So, 40 hours of only Midgar?

Well, they said that Midgar will get expanded content in the remake. And I think that storywise, it would work better if the first episode ended when they get out of Midgar, but it was just an example.

PSY・S;209573373 said:
Wait FF7R episodes are full length? wtf.

Yeah, each episode will be a full JRPG, not three/four slices from a full JRPG.

DOWN

Banned
Yes and no.

2008-2011 - Nomura would play with the idea of Versus being a new sub FF brand of sorts, but never explicitly said it would be multiple sequels or confirmed that.

2013 - When the game was rebranded we got "The World of the Versus Epic" tagline and Nomura confirmed there would be sequels.
In December, Tabata said to VGTime that they definitely have no plans to do XV-2 lol
http://www.finalfantasyforums.net/content/813-Hajime-Tabata-No-Plans-for-a-Final-Fantasy-XV-Sequel

Ran rp

"Final Fantasy VII remake episodes will each be as big as Final Fantasy XIII"
http://metro.co.uk/2016/04/12/final...each-be-as-big-as-final-fantasy-xiii-5811063/
Well, they said that Midgar will get expanded content in the remake. And I think that storywise, it would work better if the first episode ended when they get out of Midgar, but it was just an example.

Yeah, each episode will be a full JRPG, not three/four slices from a full JRPG.

oh boy

Ydelnae

Liam Mulvey (Libertus VA) is so invested in the movie that he even follows the trailers and promotional material released. Heck, he even watched the japanese report and knows which scenes were featured in which trailers lmao

https://twitter.com/liam_mulvey/status/751411480621379584 (be careful reading the whole conversation, there's a gif from a scene not featured in the official trailers)

Please S-E keep him for future projects, I already like him so much.

EDIT: He also did mo-cap for Gladio's father, I didn't know that.

Ran rp

Sure, but in a way that FFXV(-1) would have a story with a proper end and the sequels would tackle other stories that maybe tie to what happens in the first game, but aren't necessarily straight continuation or at least the kind of continuation that would have ended with a "to be continued..." in FFXV-1.

Gotcha. I was under the impression that the main story he wanted to tell was so large that he wanted to tell it across games.

In a perfect world Nomura would've been in charge of the versus spinoff games while the mainline games are directed by other people. It would've been the perfect balance for each type of customer ( want a more action based FF get versus ) or ( hybrid turn based games ) get the mainline FF.

I still think it's silly to think that FFVIIR:E1 would just be the Midgar section. They said every episode would be as big as one of the FFXIII games roughly, so around 40-60 hours mainline story. So, 40 hours of only Midgar?

http://metro.co.uk/2016/04/12/final...each-be-as-big-as-final-fantasy-xiii-5811063/

They even showed a command "summon" featured in the menu in the PSX trailer. Unless they get summons before leaving Midgard I don't see how episode 1 could only feature Midgard.

Koozek

They even showed a command "summon" featured in the menu in the PSX trailer. Unless they get summons before leaving Midgard I don't see how episode 1 could only feature Midgard.

Well, I wouldn't read too much into stuff like that. Obviously they're still using placeholder, WIP UI.

Well, I wouldn't read too much into stuff like that. Obviously they're still using placeholder, WIP UI.

I do expect new scenarios being added or old stuff expanded upon. So it's entirely possible.. Hell, it would be cool to play as Zack in some flashback.

I think it doesn't mean if XV is a success they won't do it, but rather, they haven't actually put attention to the idea the way maybe Nomjra had.
Bruh theres a final fantasy CG theatrical movie coming out and u don't think they are actively mapping out plans for spinoffs?

Famassu

One important aspect I think that gets passed on a lot with this project is that under Nomura it sounded like the games world map wasn't planned to be as seamless or interconnected as it is now. More like FFXII map style but more connected.
Nah. Based on Nomura's comments, it wasn't necessarily completely seamless, but only because of technological constraints, not because he explicitly wanted it to not be seamless. His aim was always to have "as seamless as possible" an overworld. The FFXII comment was just mostly about the interconnectedness & scale of the world & how it was structured (so not completely open world, just like FFXV isn't, but somewhat limited by how far along in the story you are). So unlike the very early Versus XIII tech demos/prototypes, they abandoned a miniature world map in favor of a more realistically scaled world, yet unlike FFXII, it would be opened up as much as possible not to have so many small-ish rooms/areas connected by loading screens. He would've wanted it to be seamless if they could achieve it but it didn't seem like the PS3 Versus XIII was achieving it. Even with FFXV after Tabata took over, earlier in 2014 & afterwards Tabata said they weren't certain if they could make everything seamless, especially the transition from fields to cities.

Koozek

I'm sure there will be a XV-2, though Tabata says his next game won't be a sequel to XV.

I'd actually be down for a FFXV-2 considering the trend of direct FF sequels having great evolutions of the respective battle-systems. Of course I would prefer getting FFXVI quicker, but it could be a nice filler in an off year between FFXVI in 2018 (yes, I'm that optimistic) and FFVII:E2 in... probably 2020?.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Bruh theres a final fantasy CG theatrical movie coming out and u don't think they are actively mapping out plans for spinoffs?
The purpose of this movie, like the FF13 sequels, were to make back money spent on the development of the game, a lot of the film is repurposed cut CG from the main game and back when it was called Versus. By the time FF13 came out, they had thrown away enough assets to make a new game, so that they went ahead and did just that. If FFXV doesn't sell as much, they probably would do just that again.

Famassu

I'd actually be down for a FFXV-2 considering the trend of direct FF sequels having great evolutions of the respective battle-systems. Of course I would prefer getting FFXVI quicker, but it could be a nice filler in an off year between FFXVI in 2018 (yes, I'm that optimistic) and FFVII:E2 in... probably 2020?.
Some comment I remember reading sounded like they might be developing the "episodes" at least somewhat concurrently, at least from some point forward (maybe once they've got the gameplay mostly nailed down, if not already) with different development partners handling different episodes. So CC2 is the (main) partner for the first part and some other company would handle the second part already while CC2 is developing Part 1. If it's that way, I don't think we have to wait anywhere near 2020 for FFVIIR-2

The purpose of this movie, like the FF13 sequels, were to make back money spent on the development of the game, a lot of the film is repurposed cut CG from the main game and back when it was called Versus. By the time FF13 came out, they had thrown away enough assets to make a new game, so that they went ahead and did just that. If FFXV doesn't sell as much, they probably would do just that again.
I have followed the entirety of the FF Versus- FFXV drama for the past 10 yrs, I know this. If this movie has been in the works for a couple yrs, nobody is about to tell me that they haven't laid out the plan for a potential FFXV-2 if things go well already is what I'm saying

Koozek

Some comment I remember reading sounded like they might be developing the "episodes" at least somewhat concurrently, at least from some point forward (maybe once they've got the gameplay mostly nailed down, if not already) with different development partners handling different episodes. So CC2 is the (main) partner for the first part and some other company would handle the second part already while CC2 is developing Part 1. If it's that way, I don't think we have to wait anywhere near 2020 for FFVIIR-2
I just don't want any FFVIIR part to delay FFXVI, as I doubt they would release both in the same year :/ Let's say FFVIIR-1 is 2017 and FFVIIR-2 2019, that leaves FFXVI for 2018 only unless they want to release it 2020 and have another 4 years between two mainline FFs with FFXV this year (if you don't count FFVIIR).

But how can we truly judge it by comparison? Will FFVII-R episodes be ultra linear(as in hallway sim) with little spurts of open areas? I can see a similar style for Midgar(maybe the first episode will encompass Midgar in its entirety, including trips to sectors we didn't to explore in the original game), but after that, I can't imagine a world spanning quest handled like FFXIII.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I have followed the entirety of the FF Versus- FFXV drama for the past 10 yrs, I know this. If this movie has been in the works for a couple yrs, nobody is about to tell me that they haven't laid out the plan for a potential FFXV-2 if things go well already is what I'm saying
Tabata actually explained that the main purpose behind all of this stuff is so that the game is basically part of the hype machine for FFXV. Again the game needs to sell as many copies as possible to be successful, but I doubt they wanna run into a FF13 situation again.

Famassu

Nomura has stated that Midgar will be expanded quite a bit. It could be Midgar and just a a little beyond that.
Midgar is still just one city. It will be expanded in a way that loading screens won't magically move you from one location to the other (cutscenes might, at times, when long distances are traversed), instead you'll actually have to run from the slums to Aeris' house, but it's not like they'll make every sector & level of the city fully explorable or anything, which is how big Midgar would almost need to be if it was all of Part 1. There's just not enough story in the Midgar. The expansions will probably mostly be about fleshing out the city enough to make it most of it connected & adding a bit more exploration to some areas so that it won't be FFXIII-levels of linear + some small-ish additions to the story that weren't there originally, but I doubt they will write 20-30+ hours worth of new story just for Midgar, which is basically what would be needed if they wanted to constraint the first episode to just Midgar.

OmegaDL50

Midgar is still just one city. It will be expanded in a way that loading screens won't magically move you from one location to the other (cutscenes might, at times, when long distances are traversed), instead you'll actually have to run from the slums to Aeris' house, but it's not like they'll make every sector & level of the city fully explorable or anything, which is how big Midgar would almost need to be if it was all of Part 1. There's just not enough story in the Midgar. The expansions will probably mostly be about fleshing out the city enough to make it most of it connected & adding a bit more exploration to some areas so that it won't be FFXIII-levels of linear + some small-ish additions to the story that weren't there originally, but I doubt they will write 20-30+ hours worth of new story just for Midgar, which is basically what would be needed if they wanted to constraint the first episode to just Midgar.

Considering Nomura implied that adding new things to the remake, which implies new story portions, then a fully realized and expanded Midgar is a very real possibility considering the context of Nomura words for FFVII:R

I just don't want any FFVIIR part to delay FFXVI, as I doubt they would release both in the same year :/ Let's say FFVIIR-1 is 2017 and FFVIIR-2 2019, that leaves FFXVI for 2018 only unless they want to release it 2020 and have another 4 years between two mainline FFs with FFXV this year (if you don't count FFVIIR).

I don't think it will. VII Remake is being produced by many different studios.

Famassu

But how can we truly judge it by comparison? Will FFVII-R episodes be ultra linear(as in hallway sim) with little spurts of open areas? I can see a similar style for Midgar(maybe the first episode will encompass Midgar in its entirety, including trips to sectors we didn't to explore in the original game), but after that, I can't imagine a world spanning quest handled like FFXIII.
Midgar will probably be a bit more linear (with some areas that offer some room for exploration & down-time, to avoid another FFXIII situation) and then they'll probably have a big open area right after Midgar that will be more like how FFXV is doing things. A vast area that you can explore freely but somewhat limited by the story (so you won't be able to go to Junon without first doing some other mandatory stuff). The area(s) outside Midgar will have some monsters to fight, smaller locales to find (hypothetically including the kinds of Chocobo Farm, Kalm, the swamp with the giant snake, maybe some forests etc.) and maybe some optional dungeon(s). Eventually you'll have to advance to the next story mandatory location (Kalm) before you can go to the Mythril Mines and advance to Junon.

Or something like that.

I don't think they'll have too much trouble releasing two FFs within 6-12 months of each other if that's how it has to be. I mean, they released FFXIV ARR, LR & FFX | X-2 within, like, 4 months of each other (in Japan).

FFXVI is a completely separate project from FFVIIR and much like FFXV, FFVIIR's development has very little effect on either. Once FFXV is done, that should be when they'll start to shift to higher gears on FFXVI's development as the next major mainline FF and that will be done when it'll be done, regardless of what happens with FFVIIR.

Considering Nomura implied that adding new things to the remake, which implies new story portions, then a fully realized and expanded Midgar is a very real possibility considering the context of Nomura words for FFVII:R
Yeeeeeeah, I don't think that means quite as epic additions as you are expecting. Again, they'd essentially need to add another 20-30+ hours of story content if FFVIIR-1 was going to be all about Midgar. Nah, they'll add a cutscene here, another there (& cut some here & there as well) + structure the traversal through the world to be more seamless & expand some areas a bit, but I seriously doubt we'll be spending 50 hours in Midgar.

And while this game will make cuts & additions to the OG story, I don't think it'll make THAT huge additions. Do remember that FFVII past Midgar is still a HUUUUUUUUGE journey and if they want to ever actually see this remake project into completion, they can't just go on making such huge additions that part 1 is nothing but Midgar. It's just not plausible considering how much they still have to do AFTER Midgar to just spend 40 hours in Midgar.

EDIT: Sorry about the FFVIIR talk. :S

The purpose of this movie, like the FF13 sequels, were to make back money spent on the development of the game, a lot of the film is repurposed cut CG from the main game and back when it was called Versus.

I don't think this is really true. Of the Versus CG we've seen only about 2 scenes directly come from versus. The panning shot of all the Kingsglaive members at the table, and the showdown at the signing ceremony.

Maybe there were many scenes influenced by Versus like how the party scene is there but completely different, I guess we won't know.

I think the movie was intended purely to advertise and hype the game. If they were concerned with profits they'd put it in more theaters in more places.

DOWN

Banned
Wait do people dislike English Luna VA or Japanese Luna VA? Or both? I'm seeing comments critiquing Luna VAs and only just remembered that the movie has trailers in both languages I think but only released in Japan so far so I'm confused

I heard some people say Luna's VA is not very good.
For me, the art style simple works better with English voice.

My (Japanese) friend said the VA was pretty bad, and the nonexistent lip sync didn't help. Main complaint with Luna is that she is presented as a strong character, yet uses stereotypical timid, helpless girl Japanese. There is a disconnect between her actions and her voice, apparently.

I quite enjoyed Ardyn's VA, though.

Aters

Wait do people dislike English Luna VA or Japanese Luna VA? Or both? I'm seeing comments critiquing Luna VAs and only just remembered that the movie has trailers in both languages I think but only released in Japan so far so I'm confused

JP Luna. I heard some people say they used a not very famous voice actress. The English Luna is voiced by Cersei Lannister.

DOWN

Banned
JP Luna. I heard some people say they used a not very famous voice actor. The English Luna is voiced by Cersei Lannister.
Yeah I like the actress in the English VA but wasn't sure if people were saying she sounded bad in the English VA of Kingsglaive

Yeah I like the actress in the English VA but wasn't sure if people were saying she sounded bad in the English VA of Kingsglaive

From what we've seen in the promotional material as well as the first 10 minutes of the film in English, I think she does an extremely good job voicing Luna.

aitakute

Luna's Japanese VA is really bad imo. She has almost no emotion. Different VA for the game so there's still hope

By the way, yahoo reviews score for Kingsglaive. Yahoo score is like imdb in Japan
http://movies.yahoo.co.jp/movie/KINGSGLAIVE+FINAL+FANTASY+XV/356202/

For comparison
Independence day 2.86
Pele 4.42
Alice in wonderland 3.58
Warcraft 3.39
Hitler 4.04
Ex Machina 3.82
Deadpool 3.88
Zootopia 4.37

Most of the reviews said that they will buy the game after this.

DOWN

Banned
Luna's Japanese VA is really bad imo. She has almost no emotion. Different VA for the game so there's still hope

By the way, yahoo reviews score for Kingsglaive. Yahoo score is like imdb in Japan
http://movies.yahoo.co.jp/movie/KINGSGLAIVE+FINAL+FANTASY+XV/356202/

For comparison
Independence day 2.86
Pele 4.42
Alice in wonderland 3.58
Warcraft 3.39
Hitler 4.04
Ex Machina 3.82
Deadpool 3.88
Zootopia 4.37

Most of the reviews said that they will buy the game after this.
Better than Zootopia ✔️

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The problem with Luna's Japanese VA is they picked a drama actress and not a typical voice actor. They should have just used the same one that's in the game but I guess they wanted a big name or something.

chozen

God waiting a month for this is such a slap in the face ughh.

At least we get more content in august overall for XV, Brotherhood EP4, Kingsglaive, and the Leviathan fight at Gamescom

Turin

Banned
The problem with Luna's Japanese VA is they picked a drama actress and not a typical voice actor. They should have just used the same one that's in the game but I guess they wanted a big name or something.

Lena Headey's a drama actor and she seems to have done a great job. Not sure about Aaron Paul. Sean Bean sounded great but he's done voice work before.

Has there been any of footage of English game Luna?

I really hate English game Regis.

chefbags

Lena Headey's a drama actor and she seems to have done a great job. Not sure about Aaron Paul. Sean Bean sounded great but he's done voice work before.

Has there been any of footage of English game Luna?

I really hate English game Regis.

Aaron Paul is one of the voice actors for bojack horseman so I'd say he has experience at least in delivering lines. So hopefully it helps him here for the movie.

Turin

Banned
Aaron Paul is one of the voice actors for bojack horseman so I'd say he has experience at least in delivering lines. So hopefully it helps him here for the movie.

That's good to hear.

And I have to correct myself. Lena did voice Cersei in the Telltale game. I'm surprised they got most of the shows actors in on that tbh.

That's good to hear.

And I have to correct myself. Lena did voice Cersei in the Telltale game. I'm surprised they got most of the shows actors in on that tbh.

The game is produced by HBO themselves so I wouldn't be surprised if the contract of original TV has something tied to VA works on videogame, advertisement, etc.

Top Bottom