• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KINGSGLAIVE: Final Fantasy XV Thread: Everything for the future king

aitakute

I can understand why Insomnia isn't explorable. The city is waaaaaaay too big in the movie. Way bigger than Altissia

It'd be kinda hard wouldn't it? Figured they did facial motion capture for the principal actors.

Makes sense. Initially thought the process of adjusting lip sync might be similar.
I could imagine a couple of german cinemas picking up the movie for the yearly "Fantasy Film" event. Unfortunately, my city (Hamburg) is the last stop which means September, so I'll pick up the digital release.

HeelPower

I feel there's a bit too much building up stuff which will be resolved in the game. Depending on what you're expecting, it might feel like the payoff isn't there (or like a first movie in a series). If you're just watching it for battle scenes, it should be satisfying, but there's a tad much politics in it.

That's unexpected! Can we expect sophisticated politics in FFXV ?

Samimista

Why couldn't we get this Luna in the game.

Cm5qY0_VYAA68T5.jpg:orig

I really wanna raid Luna's closet. She has so many cute outfits . . . <3

I feel there's a bit too much building up stuff which will be resolved in the game. Depending on what you're expecting, it might feel like the payoff isn't there (or like a first movie in a series). If you're just watching it for battle scenes, it should be satisfying, but there's a tad much politics in it.

As long as it's not Star Wars prequel bad I'm okay with it.

Famassu

so is the general consensus this movie is more than just a tech demo?
For better or worse, this seems like it's really just (one side of) the intro to the game. Seemingly a well made, entertaining one but still just an intro so the meat of the story & all the pay-off will be in the game. Like, imagine if Advent Children was actually the Midgar portion of FFVII and the game starts after the gang has exited Midgar.

Koozek

Makes sense. Initially thought the process of adjusting lip sync might be similar.
I could imagine a couple of german cinemas picking up the movie for the yearly "Fantasy Film" event. Unfortunately, my city (Hamburg) is the last stop which means September, so I'll pick up the digital release.

Moin! Indeed, Fantasy Filmfest recently announced Kingsglaive for their lineup:
http://www.fantasyfilmfest.com/dt-film/kingsglaive.html

It even says early August.

DOWN

Banned
Frankly, I was hyped for the game but then got nervous due to the E3 demo footage... But the hype and impressions for the movie in this thread got me to seal the deal and pre-order the game digitally and the movie on Blu (the edition that includes Brotherhood).

So yeah, the strategy of transmedia is working as far as I'm concerned.

mortal

Banned
Most certainly looking forward to this. The visuals make for some serious eye candy. I really admire the character designs (and realistic redesigns.)

The tonal direction of the plot seems rather tragic and more in line with the original tone of Versus XIII. With nearly all of the film's central characters dying or loosing something important

aitakute

One more thing i would want to ask is the quality of music and theme song composed by Yoko Shimomura? Is it amazing?

Yes. The musics are really good. The ending credit has full version of that Reclaim your throne trailer
Classic Final Fantasy theme song was used in the movie too

JBwB

For those who've now watched both Kingsglaive and Warcraft.
Is Kingsglaive the more enjoyable experience out of the two?

Seems like this may truly be one of if not the best video game movie ever made judging by the initial impressions.

Socivol

I have a question to anyone who has seen it
What was the motivation for all of the people that betrayed Regis? What were they trying to get out of doing that?

oimori

???~??? The era of the myth

???~60X The war had continued between Lucis and Niflheim

606 The second magic barrier(mana shield) was erected around Insomnia

726 Ardyn invented Magitek Soldiers, enhancing Niflheim's power(King's tale maybe?)

741 Niflheim invaded Tenebrae, confined Luna, crying Regis(Dawn trailer)

744 Silva, head of Tenebrae killed by Niflheim army(beginning of the movie)

756 The peace treaty was proposed by Niflheim, Noctis didn't eat vegetables

oimori

What was the motivation for all of the people that betrayed Regis? What were they trying to get out of doing that?
They are immigrant from outside of Insomnia where is now under Niflheim occupation. They fought and believed Regis to take back their homelands but Regis gave up them to accept the peace treaty. So they thought they are betrayed by Regis.
And some had connection to Niflheim. Niflheim promised that their homeland will return to them if they betray Regis

aitakute

Because it was a losing war for them. There's no way the could win. Even Regis knew that. Also, Nifheim promised that they will be able to live in peace. The traitor glaives hate Regis. They thought that to Regis, they are just dispensable pawns and nothing more.

Balls

Banned
Because it was a losing war for them. There's no way the could win. Even Regis knew that. Also, Nifheim promised that they will be able to live in peace. The traitor glaives hate Regis. They thought that to Regis, they are just dispensable pawns and nothing more.

I read somewhere that the post credit scene with the bros is in-game graphics rather than CGI. Is that true?

Ruff

By the way, one thing that surprised me is that even old people came to watch Kingsglaive too. Like 50 years old or something. Not just one or two but maybe more than 10 of them watched in the same theater

To be fair they were in their teens when the game got announced.

Philippo

I really like how even with the movie with got many details from the plot, but still nothing about what's actually going on from like half the game onwards. We've still done lots of educated guesses, but to me it feels like there's still a whole fucking lot they still haven't shown to us.
Like, we're missing lore, character motivations, actual game's plot etc.

Y'all expect a lot of towns in XV? Not to the degree of Altissia of course.

I think the freely explorable cities will be Lestallum and Altissia, with Tenebrae (and Solheim if it's in at all) being explorable too but only once you free them from Niflheim's control.
Then of course Niflheim and Insomnia only in a combat/mission scenario.

Astral Dog

We've seen her look a thousand times more determined in the film because she looks like a person and emotes correctly. People have wrinkles when they do things like grimace. In the game her eyebrows slightly lean down. In the movie, due to being based on actual person first and foremost, she animates and looks a shit ton more convincing in motion and in stills. I imagine the actors didn't perform anime-ish mannerisms either like that determined hand on chest thing we've seen a thousand times in anime.

There's also the matter of just her poker face showing how bothered she is by her situation. Her default face actually has some subtle emotion and life behind the eyes.

...well, one is a 50 hour videogame the other is a feature CG film, both use impresive tech (or at least good) for their respective mediums

Man. This thread is a spoiler minefield, especially on mobile.

It seems the movie is good. That's all I need to know. I'm out.

Hopefully I can still get a pre-order on the special edition with the Kingsglaive bluray.

Samimista

wow thats from the movie?
i thought they were models at first, movie is going to look amazing

I'm not sure, but they were posted a few times in the thread. Gotta say though, the graphics are unbelievably breathtaking.

It's nice seeing such positive impressions for Kingsglaive. :)

PSY&#12539;S;209545204 said:
what lol

i wanna know who's designing her outfits

If I had the money, I'd be willing to buy Luna's outfits. xD I don't even like wearing dresses yet I'd gladly wear hers.

artsi

...well, one is a 50 hour videogame the other is a feature CG film, both use impresive tech (or at least good) for their respective mediums

Yeah, I don't get how we're comparing the graphics of the most realistic looking CG movie so far to an open world console game.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I'd actually say facial animation is one of the weakest points when it comes to the tech used in FFXV. Especially compared to standards set by other games both linear and open world this gen because of things like performance capture, realtime facial wrinkling, etc. (last gen had those things too but many games don't hold up). From the trailer, the movie doesn't have that issue and is in the visual sense, incredibly well made aside from some nitpicky things like this super unconvincing moment where the dude's supposed to be angrily spitting.

I'd actually say facial animation is one of the weakest points when it comes to the tech used in FFXV. Especially compared to standards set by other games both linear and open world this gen because of things like performance capture, realtime facial wrinkling, etc. (last gen had those things too but many games don't hold up). From the trailer, the movie doesn't have that issue and is in the visual sense, incredibly well made aside from some nitpicky things like this super unconvincing moment where the dude's supposed to be angrily spitting.
Just saw that spit scene. I missed it previously. WTF was that? lol.

Famassu

I'd actually say facial animation is one of the weakest points when it comes to the tech used in FFXV. ]
No it isn't. You're just plain out wrong with your silly "their skin is smooth so they cannot emote" BS. Sure, it's not perhaps on the level of Uncharted 4 or something, but there's still some really good, top-notch facial animation in FFXV.

JunkoEve

But, how come Nyx is still loyal to Regis? Is it because he was indebted to the King for saving his life when he was young?

artsi

No it isn't. You're just plain out wrong with your silly "their skin is smooth so they cannot emote" BS. Sure, it's not perhaps on the level of Uncharted 4 or something, but there's still some really good, top-notch facial animation in FFXV.

Regis is looking really good in the Dawn trailer IMO, 1:50 forward.

https://youtu.be/FXMJTGna_xA?t=1m50s

And yeah, there is wrinkle tech in the engine as it shows.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yes it is. First of all, it's especially prevalent when characters are doing things like smiling. It looks so awkward and almost creepy:

tumblr_o7ji58B05n1r6rm55o1_1280.jpg

this is a what smiles look like:

Kingsglaive-FFXV_07-07-16_003.jpg

It's better than average Japanese games for sure, but definitely not what I'd call top notch, (especially not the english version). It's not even that their skin is too smooth, they seemingly don't have blend shapes for things like cheeks. Even weirder because child Noctis does during that dinner scene. And as someone said above, Regis as well. There's also that Cry demo they made. So obviously they're interested in it in some capacity in their attempts to make FF characters look more realistic.

Top Bottom