• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KINGSGLAIVE: Final Fantasy XV Thread: Everything for the future king

Socivol

There's a reason why people think it's Glauca if you seen the movie it becomes clear, and when you watch the e3 2013 trailer it connects.. I'll leave at that.

Besides Tabata changing designs left and right.

I think it just looks like a robot as well. Care to explain why people think this is Glauca? I've seen the movie and he seemed
pretty dead to me
We also didn't see
Nyx actually die but it was confirmed he isn't in the game

Ydelnae

Indeed,
but why showcase a character that's from the movie?
like I said he's in.

Because it makes sense for Glauca to be with Regis at that point of the story, and it helps connecting the game and the movie. I don't think he will end up showing in the game, but I haven't seen the movie yet so

I think it just looks like a robot as well. Care to explain why people think this is Glauca? I've seen the movie and he seemed
pretty dead to me
We also didn't see
Nyx actually die but it was confirmed he isn't in the game

In the e3 trailer you see Ravus and Glauca and the same exact scene happens in Kingsglaive, also Nyx is just meant to be eyes for the audience to see what happens in Insommia.. I never thought Glauca died tho while watching it

nyx
is just a device for the audience.

Socivol

Because it makes sense for Glauca to be with Regis at that point of the story, and it helps connecting the game and the movie. I don't think he will end up showing in the game, but I haven't seen the movie yet so

I agree with this. I think it will upset Noctis even more knowing
the person that murdered his father is someone he, and his friends, trusted. He also murders Gladio's father so showing the connection that they know him would drive the point home of his betrayal.

Socivol

In the e3 trailer you see Ravus and Glauca and the same exact scene happens in Kingsglaive, also Nyx is just meant to be eyes for the audience to see what happens in Insommia
he's not a major player.

This might just be them
incorporating that scene into the movie. The same trailer has the scene of the Nilfs pulling the guns on the Lucians and we know that won't be in the game anymore. I think it might have just been a reworking on that scene into the movie.

I agree with this. I think it will upset Noctis even more knowing
the person that murdered his father is someone he, and his friends, trusted. He also murders Gladio's father so showing the connection that they know him would drive the point home of his betrayal.

Mofo was driving
Noctis
car... No respect.

Socivol

Mofo was driving
Noctis
car... No respect.

NONE! Lol I do think that if
Glaucia is alive it will make the point of the movie extremely stupid considering that only thing that would have been accomplished is getting Luna out of the city and undermine Nyx's sacrifice. We will see though, I wouldn't put it past the writers to do something dumb like that.

FFXV-Glauca.jpg

He got redesigned it seems.

Yeah I'm on #teamredesign for Glauca. Considering there is a precedent for several other character design changes since 2013.

Saw this in the theatre on 8/19, quite enjoyed it. I thought a lot of it was miscast and acted (Libertus was insufferable), but I really love the story and lore they're bringing to this universe. It got me much more excited for the game.

Any idea if there will be a way to get the Japanese language version here in America? It doesn't seem like the digital release, standalone blu-ray release, or Kingsglaive+Brotherhood Set blu-ray have Japanese language. I'd really like to watch it in Japanese w/ subtitles. Does anyone know if the Ultimate Collector's Edition of FFXV comes with Japanese language versions?

Socivol

Saw this in the theatre on 8/19, quite enjoyed it. I thought a lot of it was miscast and acted (Libertus was insufferable), but I really love the story and lore they're bringing to this universe. It got me much more excited for the game.

Any idea if there will be a way to get the Japanese language version here in America? It doesn't seem like the digital release, standalone blu-ray release, or Kingsglaive+Brotherhood Set blu-ray have Japanese language. I'd really like to watch it in Japanese w/ subtitles. Does anyone know if the Ultimate Collector's Edition of FFXV comes with Japanese language versions?

I don't think so since the Japanese version is the dub.

Socivol

PSY・S;214980195 said:
Can somebody explain Luna
repeatedly saying “I do not fear death” or whatever
?

Strong female character
This is on part of the movie that I felt was handled poorly.
She continues to say that she must do this for the future of the world but never explains wtf she means

Ran rp

Strong female character
She continues to say that she must do this for the future of the world but never explains wtf she means

Lol...... I really need to see this myself.

Strong female character

Noctis is important in the future of the world, I'm assuming. It probably relates to the whole "Plague of the Stars" thing which we still know basically nothing about.

Jeels

My friends who I watched the movie with (non-FF or casual FF fans) had this question and while I followed most of the dialogue (as poorly written as it was) I was unable to answer this

Not a spoiler but tagging just in case

what motivation do these characters have for Noctis and Luna to be married? I dont understand...It's something the empire is forcing on them so that they gain more political influence, so why is everyone involved so into making sure Noctis and Luna are together? If the magic that protects the kingdom is tied to a ring on not Luna...?

Anyway, thought the movie was mostly garbage. Even the action scenes couldn't keep my attention. The people I was with (made up of mostly gamers who either have been exposed to FF or actively played it but werent obsessed forum going fans) thought it was trash. But I heard more than enough "I can't wait for the game now" from folks in the audience.

Zoe

My friends who I watched the movie with (non-FF or casual FF fans) had this question and while I followed most of the dialogue (as poorly written as it was) I was unable to answer this

what motivation do these characters have for Noctis and Luna to be married? I dont understand...It's something the empire is forcing on them so that they gain more political influence, so why is everyone involved so into making sure Noctis and Luna are together? If the magic that protects the kingdom is tied to a ring on not Luna...?

It was supposed to be a show of unity between the kingdoms. It's a common political maneuver.

In actuality though, they likely planned to kill both of them no matter how things went down.

Mcdohl

It was supposed to be a show of unity between the kingdoms. It's a common political maneuver.

In actuality though, they likely planned to kill both of them no matter how things went down.

But why would Luna represent Nifelheim? She was a 'captive' of theirs, not actualy Nifelheim royalty.

Anyway, thought the movie was mostly garbage. Even the action scenes couldn't keep my attention. The people I was with (made up of mostly gamers who either have been exposed to FF or actively played it but werent obsessed forum going fans) thought it was trash. But I heard more than enough "I can't wait for the game now" from folks in the audience.

Public perception that both kingdoms are uniting, It's a political maneuver that you see a lot in GOT for instance. The difference here is Noctis and Luna seem to have a childhood background together. So there's a hint of romance on both parts but that's not driving theme.

duckroll

Wasn't Angry Joe also "baffled" by critics not liking Suicide Squad? Makes sense that he would love both movies given how they have similarly atrocious action choreography and night lighting. :)

Maybe he has a fetish for bad editing.

Wasn't Angry Joe also "baffled" by critics not liking Suicide Squad? Makes sense that he would love both movies given how they have similarly atrocious action choreography and night lighting. :)

Idk. I don't really like Angry Joe and honestly I was surprised at how giddy he was talking about it.

Zoe

But why would Luna represent Nifelheim? She was a 'captive' of theirs, not actualy Nifelheim royalty.

The people in the know from Insomnia are aware that she is a captive, but it's not clear that the rest of the world believes so. Her brother certainly enjoys the privileges of someone in charge.

sensui-tomo

so i checked theaters in michigan to find out that a closer theater in the detroit area is actually showing it tonight at 9 pm , guess im going to the show.

wmlk

Joe's been in love with FFXV since E3 2013. His Duscae stream was really enjoyable.

"Two viewings to understand what the hell is happening."

No kidding lol.

sappyday

The casual people are definitely not gonna care for shit like that. I have a bunch of friends who thought Suicide Squad was awesome. The movie made a bunch of money. I think the average Joe who happens to watch KG will not care about the editing and choreography. Which is totally fine.

Enthus

I've been avoiding this thread because I'm spoilerphobic, but has anyone posted the US cover art for the Kingsglaive Steelbook? Amazon updated their page with it:

I assume the brotherhood part is a removable card, but otherwise it's the same as other region's releases. Also, it says it includes the extended Brotherhood, have we had any other mention of that (Episode 6) being included before?

I've been avoiding this thread because I'm spoilerphobic, but has anyone posted the US cover art for the Kingsglaive Steelbook? Amazon updated their page with it:

I assume the brotherhood part is a removable card, but otherwise it's the same as other region's releases. Also, it says it includes the extended Brotherhood, have we had any other mention of that (Episode 6) being included before?

Yeah promotional material with that cover was released earlier. It's nice to see the final design tho, shame about the Brotherbood banner on the bottom. And Ep6 is for Luna, and you have to buy the movie or a copy of the game that comes with the movie to watch it.

Cover is ugly as fuq lol but I want the anime so I guess I'll get the steelbook.

Yeah promotional material with that cover was released earlier. It's nice to see the final design tho, shame about the Brotherbood banner on the bottom. And Ep6 is for Luna, and you have to buy the movie or a copy of the game that comes with the movie to watch it.

No, the deluxe edition only includes the movie.

Skux

Just saw it.

It's not a great film by any means. And it's not a good film by most.

The story only gives brief explanations of very important lore concepts and expects you to go with it, and the plot will leave you scratching your head at points, not quite sure if you stumbled across a plot hole or if they just didn't explain it.

The characters are paper thin, single-minded, and disposable. There's no nuance or subtlety, and hardly any personality.

The camera work is atrocious, and I'm not even talking about the action scenes. With a virtual camera there should be no excuse for the many confusing, distracting shots which have no regard for the space of the scene and the framing of the characters. Film is a language and this director just hasn't learnt how to speak it.

On the plus side, the visuals are spectacular, and the action scenes are absolutely ridiculous in the best way (that weapon-warp technique opens a giant box of crazy fun shit). And I personally really like the visual design, which is excessive and overdesigned (in typical FF fashion), but retains at least some sense of practicality.

It's still a fairly satisfying watch. Recommended if you're interested in the game, but if not it's probably best to stay away.

2.5/5 stars.

Haven't seen it yet but it's not like I'd watch it for more than anything but a setup for a videogame. Hopefully on those merits I'll like it enough.

Shuusui

Is there anywhere to talk about the connection/ramifications of the movie compared to what we know about the game? I'd love to dig into a juicy breakdown of the points.

Finaika

He likes Man of Steel too.

Mr. RHC

I suppose the movie is a solid 6/10 with some nice facial animations that would put L.A. Noire to shame.

Not too much else to say when it comes to what's good about the movie. This movie would have been much better without the Kingsglaive. Just cut it out. Make a movie about Insomnia, about Regis, Luna etc. Make the subplot about Ravus good and not a boring stub. Make the people of Niflheim interesting. I want the scenes from the 2013 trailer not this awful grumpy/goofy Aldercapt/Ardyn duo. I mean one could argue they always were but they didn't particularly click with me in the movie.

Also cut out that mythology. It's really bad, I fear the game will really suffer with that horse mythology.

Didn't expect to come out of the movie somewhat disappointed but I guess there is a chance that the game is better.

Edit: Oh yeah, it particularly broke my heart to see Somnus be a mere party background song however nice they actually had someone play it.

sappyday

I suppose the movie is a solid 6/10 with some nice facial animations that would put L.A. Noire to shame.

Not too much else to say when it comes to what's good about the movie. This movie would have been much better without the Kingsglaive. Just cut it out. Make a movie about Insomnia, about Regis, Luna etc. Make the subplot about Ravus good and not a boring stub. Make the people of Niflheim interesting. I want the scenes from the 2013 trailer not this awful grumpy/goofy Aldercapt/Ardyn duo.

Also cut out that mythology. It's really bad, I fear the game will really suffer with that horse mythology.

Didn't expect to come out of the movie somewhat disappointed but I guess there is a chance that the game is better.

Edit: Oh yeah, it particularly broke my heart to see Somnus be a mere party background song however nice they actually had someone play it.

Considering one is a high budget CGI film from this year and the other is a 5 year old game, you would hope that is the case.

kurahador

This is how the action scenes were directed;
irg55aK.gif

If you don't see anything wrong with that or can tolerate it, you'll enjoy the movie for sure.

Also...Audi product placement in this made me shake my head so hard. It was wayyyy to obvious.

This is how the action scenes were directed;

If you don't see anything wrong with that or can tolerate it, you'll enjoy the movie for sure.

Also...Audi product placement in this made me shake my head so hard. It was wayyyy to obvious.

Audi? Lol

I thought the beats placement was far more obvious, the car at least fit in.

Top Bottom