• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KINGSGLAIVE: Final Fantasy XV Thread: Everything for the future king

MattyG

Banned
Oh my god Liberus' voice and lip synching is unbearable.

This is mostly terrible, but I'm enjoying bits and pieces of it.

Valonquar

So...I just got an email for a DLC vocuher for buying Kingsglaive a while back... and where the voucher code should be , it just says "No coupons available"

WUT?

AqRnOkP.jpg

The links both go to the same place, which is just a FAQ for how to redeem vouchers. Went to support chat and they just said to keep watching my email....

Saw this a while back and never got any thoughts down on it. It's a hard movie to even judge, really. It simply does not try to be a traditional, standalone movie, and as such I don't know if it's fair to hold it to those standards. Aside from a handful of moments toward the end that almost worked despite themselves -
Nyx mouthing off to the kings of Lucis is the single moment in the whole movie that had me going "oh, hey, this is almost like something you'd see in Final Fantasy"
- I thought it was really, really awful, but on the other hand, were it to be cut up into five minute chunks and placed into FFXV as "Meanwhile..." interludes, it'd probably work mostly fine.

It was definitely a disappointment after the shockingly decent Brotherhood episodes.

Hustler

Just finished watching the movie. If you go in with low expectations and treat it as a setup for the game, you'll enjoy it much more. Libertus' voice was gut wrenching, I wanted to punch him in the face. All in all, totally worth the watch. Bought it digitally for cheap.

So...I just got an email for a DLC vocuher for buying Kingsglaive a while back... and where the voucher code should be , it just says "No coupons available"

WUT?

The links both go to the same place, which is just a FAQ for how to redeem vouchers. Went to support chat and they just said to keep watching my email....

I got the same thing as well, so it's probably everyone then. I'll post when/if I get a corrected one :)

MattyG

Banned
That wasn't terrible, I guess. I enjoyed it for the most part, but I hated Libertus. I hope he is nowhere to be found in the game. I actually wish
Nix was still alive so he could be in the game, but of course they had to keep the worst character instead.

Also,
Ultros
was really cool.

I think the code is something you also get in one of the limited editions of the game. I forget what they said it was. I am waiting to use it after I get the game in case it's for something I already got from the LE. In that case, I'll give the code to someone in here :)

Wollan

Went in with low expectations and knowing it's a game setup:
Still ultimately a very boring movie.
I can really appreciate some excellent animation and artistry but personally it was kind of a chore to go through this not resorting to a secondary activity.

There's no possible way they can recoup all the spending behind Final Fantasy XV is there?

Setsu00

That wasn't terrible, I guess. I enjoyed it for the most part, but I hated Libertus. I hope he is nowhere to be found in the game. I actually wish
Nix was still alive so he could be in the game, but of course they had to keep the worst character instead.

Also,
Ultros
was really cool.

Is there anyone who liked Libertus?

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
First half of the movie was for me very good. Pacing and growing tension was absolute. Second half is Advent Children's second half: boring action but a visual feast.

f@luS

More than a member.
Ok as I received ff15 I wanted to see this

Enjoyed a lot the action even with cheesy dialogues

Reading first post should I want brotherhood as well and play platinum demo ?

Falk

that puzzling face
It's free, and it's free.

Platinum Demo is kind of a slog but adds a tiny bit of additional context.

~~~FFXV Universe~~~

f@luS

More than a member.
Ok will do. I want to dive in ff15 universe as much as I can. My last ff was 13 didn't do the .2 and so on. I missed Japanese epic ff game

Roubjon

I just finished watching and thought it was good for what it was. My expectations were basically met, since all I was looking for was a look into the world of FFXV. It was good, dumb fun to me and got me excited for Tuesday.

Also lol at Barry Burton, it's like he was an NPC turned into a main character. Why was his voice acting so hilariously terrible.

Wagram

Just watched it for the first time and found it enjoyable. I have three questions though:

1.) Regis seemed very surprised that Luna was alive when he first spoke with Ardyn. Did he feign this because Noctis/Luna have been communing (at least they were in Brotherhood).

2.) Was Regis' entire plan to have them invade Insomnia to draw attention away from Noctis?

3.) Why is Noctis not there at all? I'm assuming it had to do with 2.

Not up to snuff with FFXV story outside of Brotherhood and Kingsglaive.

I didn't notice someone had bumped this thread. I just finished watching it, here's my post from the FFXV OT:

I won't get the game until tomorrow at best but the reviews got me pumped so I just watched Kingsglaive. Based on what I had heard I was expecting a fairly mediocre but pretty movie but I thoroughly enjoyed it from beginning to end. As predicted, it is stunning visually and the fight scenes are incredible but I quite liked the story and characters too. I thought it was a very touching drama and a really good film overall. The english voice cast was really solid as well.

The only thing that might be puzzling to non FF fans is the completely random and unexplained appearance of mothefuckin
Ultros
in the middle of the film. It was hilarious but made no sense at all within the film.

One question: at the beginning of the film, they talk about Noctis being sick as a child but they don't really expand on that, is that adressed somewhere else aside from FFXV proper?

RedAssedApe

Banned
The only thing that might be puzzling to non FF fans is the completely random and unexplained appearance of mothefuckin
Ultros
in the middle of the film. It was hilarious but made no sense at all within the film.

yeah there was a lot of random fan service in this movie. lol

Wagram

I didn't notice someone had bumped this thread. I just finished watching it, here's my post from the FFXV OT:

I won't get the game until tomorrow at best but the reviews got me pumped so I just watched Kingsglaive. Based on what I had heard I was expecting a fairly mediocre but pretty movie but I thoroughly enjoyed it from beginning to end. As predicted, it is stunning visually and the fight scenes are incredible but I quite liked the story and characters too. I thought it was a very touching drama and a really good film overall. The english voice cast was really solid as well.

The only thing that might be puzzling to non FF fans is the completely random and unexplained appearance of mothefuckin Ultros in the middle of the film. It was hilarious but made no sense at all within the film.

One question: at the beginning of the film, they talk about Noctis being sick as a child but they don't really expand on that, is that adressed somewhere else aside from FFXV proper?

I'm assuming it had to do with the very beginning and end of the Brotherhood anime series.

Just watched it. One thing I don't quite understand and maybe I'm missing something, but...

So Insomnia is the only place that is out of Niflheim's(sp?) reach, Noctis is supposed to be some chosen one to be kept safe or whatever (not to mention being the fuckin prince of a country in war)...

And he is travelling around the countryside with 3 regular dudes during a time of war when the empire can just drop
Diamond Weapons
around or whatever.

Also was that one monster supposed to be
Ultros
? lol

K.Sabot

I am watching this while my patch downloads because of its supposed importance and its making me gag with how bad the acting, dialogue and general script is.

I'm constantly forcing myself to stop watching cause it's too much, this has only happened with one other movie for me...

Big Money Rustlas

Watched this earlier today too. Felt like a giant videogame cut-scene. As a standalone movie, it's an overwrought convoluted mess. Strange editing choices and the cinematography during the battle scenes was incomprehensible.

At least I know what happened in Insomnia now, I guess.

Namikaze

I found myself dozing off during the movie..it definitely helps you understand what happens after
Noct's departure
, but wow, I truly couldn't bring myself to care about any of the characters outside of Luna/Noct/Noct's father

I wish
Crowe lived longer
and that's about my only major gripe. Gorgeous animation and action scenes but some terrible voice acting... especially Libertus. Nyx is top notch though, imo. What a badass.

DeathPeak

So, basically this is the "World of Balance" part of the game. I enjoyed it. Best not to treat it like an actual movie. More like a long opening cutscene to the game.

Peterthumpa

What's with the bar shot at the beginning that looks way worse than everything else?

I guess that the characters were first and foremost designed with their soldier vests in mind, as they also help to hide some body shape imperfections (IMO). When you see them in casual clothing, it looks weird.

Protome

The whole movie felt like it took what should have been like three scenes in a good movie and spread it across 90 minutes. Some good moments but mostly incredibly dull.

Between this and the reviews/impressions on FFXV I'm definitely not expecting much from FFXV's story or world.

kromeo

I'm going to have to watch this later today, I need context as to why these young men are driving a Chrysler Crossfire through the desert.

You very clearly see Ford Transit vans, a Toyota and several VWs in the movie although they have different badges. It stupid as well when they try so hard to make it look like a modern earth city then have all the soldier's wearing medieval knight armour

Rymuth

Thoughts

- VA is so bad in places, Libertus and Crow in particular are the biggest offenders.
- Luna looked like a ghost
- When characters are standing still, they look so life-like. During action sequences, though, the quality dips in their movements.
- Destruction reached Zack Snyder level wankery...no way did the population survive that

I liked the film, it entertained me and set me up with the back-story and got me excited for the game itself. I'll probably watch it again when i get around to watching Brotherhood on youtube.

Top Bottom