• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KINGSGLAIVE: Final Fantasy XV Thread: Everything for the future king

Griss

Yeah, I watched it a couple of days ago. Was expecting it to be unwatchable, but for what is essentially a commercial, it was surprisingly coherent. By Square Enix standards, anyway.

Basically, the peace accord was obviously a sham and Nyx had to protect the princess. That single plotline was clear throughout the movie and easy to follow. That in and of itself was far more coherent storytelling than what I had expected. The fact that everything surrounding it was pretty much a clusterfuck didn't bother me too much.

I basically watched for the eye candy, and it delivered in spades on that - it was spectacular to look at. The fact that I liked Nyx and Luna well enough and was invested in what would happen to them throughout was an unexpected but very welcome bonus. I knew nothing about FFXV going in, so seeing the world and how things operate there was really cool, and certainly served to get me interested in the game.

I also liked how Luna was just the classic helpless princess. You don't see many of those any more in modern entertainment. I kept waiting for her to have some lame cringeworthy 'girl power' moment but it never came, which was surprising and cool. I did think Lena Heady didn't sound appropriate for her, though. I guess I just think 'Cersei' immediately when I hear that voice, and Luna was far younger looking than that voice suggested. Nyx's voice actor was by far the best, and the only one whose lip syncing consistently matched up with his lines. There were multiple times I couldn't believe he was CGI watching him.

Everything to do with Libertius (sp?) was absolute garbage, though. And the big twist was absolutely hilariously bad.

I thought the action scenes were fantastic until the last 10 minutes where it became impossible to follow what was going on and the action became too unrealistic and weightless.

Overall, though... good job.

Watched it earlier, loved it tbh. In large part because I don't think I've ever seen fantasy and real life meshed like that.

Brilliant setup for another story imo. Would have liked to fight the
Captain guy
in the game. Nyx is boss. Real shame if we don't see the
Kingsglaive uniforms again. Wish Crowe had been in it more too, love her design

Didn't like Libertius from beginning to end, and agree that the action became tough to follow at the end.

Alienous

Just saw this. I thought it was great.

It blows a film like Warcraft out of the water, but that's hardly a compliment. It had great characters, great visuals, great art-design, great set pieces, even a pretty good story. It isn't easy to pull off a villain (or several) you feel compassion for, and I think they did a good job.

Reading the action gets a little messy at the end, and there are times where they didn't even bother trying to lip-sync dialogue. But overall it was a good film, I felt.

They fall into tropes but not in a way that betrayed the characters, who I felt were well written in general.

A good job, I'd say. I'd give it at least a 7.5/10.

I thought it was worse than Warcraft, personally. The action was good and it looked fantastic, but everything else was messy and mediocre. Voice acting was awful and inconsistent, and the writing was crap. I also hate how different and westernized the characters look compared to the game.

I'd give it 5/10 at most.

Advent Children may have been a glorified AMV, but I enjoyed it a lot more than this.

Derpot

Saw it too with my bf and a friend, we enjoyed it, even if the fights were confusing as fuck lol

Just two things:

-
I was disappointed about Crowe for obvious reasons. She seemed to be a cool character and was the only female protag in the Kingsglaive and she just got killed like that off-screen...
-
I hope that Drautos/Glauca is still alive. Dude killed Noctis' father, Gladio and Iris' father and Ravus and Luna's mother, that's a lot. He's OP as fuck, he can't just die with a stab in the chest, come on. Need a boss fight against him.

DieH@rd

Banned
Just saw it.

I really liked it. Not amazing, but it's very watchable and it held my attention from start to end.

I have no idea why people want Luna to be some kind of action hero. She's ordinary girl, she was totally fine in the film.

I wonder if Nox has somehow survived... I expect him to at least to become a "force ghost" inside of that ring.

I thought this was really fun and worth seeing as someone excited for FF15.

It doesn't really matter to me if it stands on its own because idk why someone who doesn't know the game or series would want to watch it.

There were so many scenes where I just forgot it was CG and it looked like actors on a set or on CG backgrounds.

Anyway, really a fun movie and especially so for final fantasy fans. Better than any videogame movie I've seen. I'll admit that the quality of the CGI impresses me a lot and made it worth watching. I very easily glossed over what was probably bad dialog and editing. I don't watch a ton of movies anyway so my sense of that is not great.

Also using classic Final Fantasy supervillains and monsters and summons in this way is totally awesome. Its a good way to use the best/fan favorite designs in future games and media with refreshed designs. I legit gasped at seeing emerald weapon and ultros. The giant statues that fought in the end reminded me of odin and Gilgamesh but i'm not sure that was intended.

FLAguy954

How does this compare to Spirits Within and Advent Children?

Way more enjoyable to watch than both in my opinion. I had a lot of fun watching this movie and the fan service was fucking awesome.

Some people here take this shit too seriously. Just have fun and enjoy the spectacle.

Way more enjoyable to watch than both in my opinion. I had a lot of fun watching this movie and the fan service was fucking awesome.

Some people here take this shit too seriously. Just have fun and enjoy the spectacle.

How can I enjoy the Spectacle when the Editing is awful? The movie does take itself seriously, like half of the movie is rather serious dialogue based scenes. So I as the viewer have the expectation to demand more development out of those dialogues, but it really wasn't of avail. I think it could have done both perhaps if the Kingsglaive did not fight outside the capital but rather inside of it and thus connected the scenes more logically, I could have bought it better.

Majmun

It was a fun movie. Made me more excited for FFXV.

The celebration scene in Insomnia during night was a total eyegasm. I loved the setting.

Very fun movie. I enjoyed it even if it lacked any recognisable FF reference for me except the Chocobo Van and maybe some spells?

Couple of spoilery questions:

==================================================
animated-gifs-alarm-07.gif
Mod edit: Some stuff here references 4chan rumors, which may or may not be a game spoiler depending on how much you believe said rumors (!!!)

==================================================
- was the octopus boss on the Nilfheim ship Ultros?
- so the bad guy with the hat (chancellor?), the right hand of Nilfheim's Emperor - is the final boss of FF15 according to the leaked info?
- the "old Kings" that gave Nyx powers - are they the normal FF summons like Ifirit and Shiva? Or were they indeed Kings?
- and the huge sculptures that came to life to battle the Demon - were they Summons? Or not?
- as for the Demon itself - why so important? I do not remember such powerful demons from FF series... is this a new thing in FF15? Was he a "Weapon" like Ruby Weapon or Omega Weapon? He looked way to organic for that... like Diablo-like not FF-like.

I really liked the Crowe and Nyx characters. Very much disliked the good fat guy and Luna who was pretty much actless.

The human boss of the movie was ultra cool. His armor and all those resistances reminded me of two things:

- judges from FF12
- Havel The Rock

FarmerGiles

Very fun movie. I enjoyed it even if it lacked any recognisable FF reference for me except the Chocobo Van and maybe some spells?

- so the bad guy with the hat (chancellor?), the right hand of Nilfheim's Emperor - is the final boss of FF15 according to the leaked info?
- the "old Kings" that gave Nyx powers - are they the normal FF summons like Ifirit and Shiva? Or were they indeed Kings?
- and the huge sculptures that came to life to battle the Demon - were they Summons? Or not?
- as for the Demon itself - why so important? I do not remember such powerful demons from FF series... is this a new thing in FF15? Was he a "Weapon" like Ruby Weapon or Omega Weapon? He looked way to organic for that... like Diablo-like not FF-like.

I really liked the Crowe and Nyx characters. Very much disliked the good fat guy and Luna who was pretty much actless.

The human boss of the movie was ultra cool. His armor and all those resistances reminded me of two things:

- judges from FF12
- Havel The Rock

Potential big main game spoilers here; not just Kingsglaive. If you don't want to know about the leaks, don't look at these.

el87

Just watched it. Just as horrible as I expected.

Used to be a fan of the series, now it's just an anime cliche. Probably won't be even playing FF15.

Quentino

Neo Member

- judges from FF12
- Havel The Rock

Thanks for the spoiler regarding the leaks about a MAJOR plotpoint of the Game.
Watch out guys if you dont want to know anything from the potential leaks.

I enjoyed the movie for what it was. Good action and visually stunning. definitely the most enjoyable of the three FF movies.

Watched it and thought it was okay.
The fight scenes near the end are so messy, very difficult to keep up. Why nobody of the production crew noticed that beforehand, I can't understand it.
Nyx is a damn cool character though, and yeah, I wish he were the main character of the game for sure.

Just saw the movie (with the german dub. The dub was done very well!).

Do you know whether the german dub cast is the same for both the game and this movie? Might be worth checking it out again in german.

Why the hell aren't you putting a warning for that (possible) game spoiler??
I only epected to read movie spoilers here!

Potential big main game spoilers here; not just Kingsglaive. If you don't want to know about the leaks, don't look at these.

Thanks for the spoiler regarding the leaks about a MAJOR plotpoint of the Game.
Watch out guys if you dont want to know anything from the potential leaks.
Too late. :(

Shai-Tan

Banned
it is a shame it seems like we get the typical animu characters and interactions from the game because I did like the characters in this a lot more than the game videos thus far

regarding warcraft vs kingsglaive, kingsglaive actually has some passable dialogue unlike warcraft which was so cringey in its writing that you can see it in the acting that they were not happy doing that movie. whoever played Durotan and the other orcs were ok but Ben Foster completely shit the bed as Medivh even if he wasn't given much to work with. all the scenes with humans in them were terrible

doemaaan

Man, I finally saw it... So much flash and spectacle, yet so BORING. Guess that's SE in a nutshell.

I can only hope XV doesn't follow suit.

Zafir

I finally got round to watching it now there's a rental version, and I had a coupon for a rental.

I went in expecting it to be terrible, and actually it ended up being alright.

(Film thoughts - no game spoilers)

The action scenes were pretty cool, besides maybe the final one which got super cluttered. I will say I don't really get the Malboro/Octopus thing in the airship, it just seemed really out of place.

The story was okay, I mean everyone was as naive as hell on the Lucius side. The soldiers who betrayed and everyone thinking peace was a good idea. But, I feel like it was a believable naivety somehow. (Maybe we can blame Brexit and Trump being a thing for the reason I find it somewhat believable)

I can see why Luna pissed people off. It's not even her personality that annoys me. Like she clearly does have inner strength, she didn't buy the peace, and she can think on her own. But the writing just makes her sound like such a doting princess. "My duty is to protect Noctis", "I must fulfil my duty"(No one speaks like that, come on) and the fact she just doesn't do much at all besides do stupid shit in the name of her "duty".

Crowe was a massive let down. I was just thinking to myself "Oh it seems like they might have actually made an interesting female character here" and literally two minutes after I thought that she was dead, lol.

Why the hell aren't you putting a warning for that (possible) game spoiler??
I only epected to read movie spoilers here!

Too late. :(
Ditto, ffs. I mean I'm really not surprised by the spoiler, but it's annoying never the less.

Wish people would put some comments on the fact they're spoiling the game too. :|

Nesther

Just watched the movie in the plane, expecting a pile of nonsense (given how a few EZA allies talk about it). Absolutely loved it. The story, voice acting and the CGI were great imo. Some of the combat was a bit of confusing, but seeing as everyone was porting around like crazy
which was incredible to watch
that's understandable. Still never lost the plot.

Buttons

Watched it last night and I enjoyed it.

I purposely have been avoiding all FFXV trailers and information so I went into Kingsglaive practically blind. I enjoyed it and it really made me want to play the game, so I guess that's a pro. :)

MilkBeard

Just saw it. Going against what some have said here.

Kingsglaive was a surprisingly good film. Will write a bit more later but the only major disappointment was Luna.
Yeah, I just watched it for the first time yesterday.

I found it a surprisingly watchable film, despite a few nitpicks (some of the side character voice actors, lip syncing, and Luna).

The important thing is that the movie was exciting, the writing was leagues better than Spirits Within, and it got me excited to play the game and to be more invested in the universe.

Good watch, will watch one more time before Nov. 29th.

Ferr986

- judges from FF12
- Havel The Rock

Go fuck yourself with your leaked game spoilers, man.

MilkBeard

As for the action scenes, I had no problem following them. Although, I was watching it on a laptop, so I'm assuming that the size of the screen will determine if you have a hard time following it.

There were actually only a few scenes that actually did the rapid cuts that a lot of people complained about. Many of the scenes had longer cuts, for example the final fight at the end.

Anyway, I think this is going to be different from person to person, and also depending on your viewing equipment.

Gbraga

Why are so many people talking about
how cool it would've been to fight Glauca
? Did I miss something?

He's clearly breathing at the end, just before the "Rule well, young king" line from Nyx.

Was something confirmed by the devs?

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
My Bluray should be arriving any minute now with episode 6 of Brotherhood.

Edit: Looks like the extra episode is actually a series of bonus scenes between every episode and after the ending.

Summary:

The first 3 scenes are just 5 second scenes of Luna paging through a notebook looking at notes on each of Noctis's party after their respective episodes.

After episode 4 there is a more substantial episode where we see Regis wheel Noctis into Luna's room where they meet for the first time and Regis tells him to introduce himself.
It then transitions to an animated version of the Kingsglaive opening where Regis runs away with Noctis leaving Luna behind.
Then there's a short scene of Luna looking at the Ring with Gentiana commenting on its power.

Post credits scene is Luna wondering if Noctis is safe, then we see the bros in the boat with Noctis thinking to himself "Sorry for the wait Luna, I'll be there soon".

Not very exciting.

cj_iwakura

Really enjoyed it. Glad thhat jarring fade to black crap stopped after the first ten(mostly).

Film:
Crowe, WTF. The treaty scene was everything I wanted. The tension and the multiple angles was great.

Dat Thundaga.

Watched it via Amazon rental

Film is legit a fucking spectacle to look at! Seriously, I can't emphasize this enough that it's worth watching just for visual splendor alone (though the constant fade-outs felt like you were watching a REALLY extended trailer at times.... weird stuff)

That being said, it's pretty damn bad from a writing standpoint and REALLY deserved FAR better. All the dialog felt like it had been a first draft and they just said, yep, that's good enough. Dialog is insultingly amateur at points yet okay at others. Like they gave all the best stuff to King Regis/Sean Bean.
It also deserved to be more of a standalone piece instead of so slavishly attached to the game.

I still enjoyed it in the end though and yeah, there's some good fanservice in there :)

Spirits Within is still the closest thing to an actual film though at this point.

Pachinko

Seeing as this was finally up for rental I decided to give it a chance (6$ is much better than 25$) , it was actually better than I was lead to expect given all the hatorade going around but... it missed the mark by just enough so frequently that it was a frustrating watch.

The biggest problem ? the first 15 minutes were a total mess and totally unnecessary for telling the story of this film - that is the story of Nyx. I chock it up mostly to the downright terrible editing job , you should never cut to black during an action scene , this isn't a videogame but it sure felt like a poorly directed cutscene from one a little too often.

Sure- you can say a bunch of cool looking shit is happening but it's nearly impossible to tell what is going on or even who is involved , just a bunch of men in suits dancing around a bunch of monsters and then here comes a big monster (and yeah I know that thing was just there for fan service reasons). This is to say little of what amounts to a title crawl to explain the over convoluted backstory that is all pretty much unnecessary for Nyx' character arc. Basically everything after the title of the film is revealed isn't bad outside of a couple of odd plot holes.

This really could have been a fun little tale involving Nyx, Crow and Libertus going on a covert mission that ultimately ends in their sacrifice but instead Nyx' buds quickly get sidelined before you can gain much attachment to them. So while Nyx himself and his character arc almost work, there's too much junk happening around him. I think ultimately - this film was rushed through production to get it done as quickly as possible so things like scene blocking (still important in CG) weren't done to the level they needed and - the editing again , this movie does cuts to black CONSTANTLY which just breaks up the flow of everything. I could go on and on about all the little details that could have tweaked this film into something better but , it simply is what it is for now and at the end of the day - if you are excited for FFXV and enjoyed something like Advent Children , there's some cool shit happening here with some generally pretty nice looking CG. Just know that there's literally nothing beyond that to witness here. It's pretty much a 2 hour CG intro to FFXV that might not even be required viewing to enjoy the game... but it might quell some of the hype for the game if you watch it now seeing as there's still almost 2 months until the game is out.

Philippo

Why are so many people talking about
how cool it would've been to fight Glauca
? Did I miss something?

He's clearly breathing at the end, just before the "Rule well, young king" line from Nyx.

Was something confirmed by the devs?

I don't know man, i automatically assumed that because if
he's still alive that kinda makes Nx efforts null? But yeah he could be alive, i want to fight him on 1v1 so bad. He could also be dead and the armor moved to someone else, after all it couldn't be the same person wearing the armor in both the Tenebrae attack and the Insomnia invasion (12yrs gap).

Seeing as this was finally up for rental I decided to give it a chance (6$ is much better than 25$) , it was actually better than I was lead to expect given all the hatorade going around but... it missed the mark by just enough so frequently that it was a frustrating watch.

The biggest problem ? the first 15 minutes were a total mess and totally unnecessary for telling the story of this film - that is the story of Nyx. I chock it up mostly to the downright terrible editing job , you should never cut to black during an action scene , this isn't a videogame but it sure felt like a poorly directed cutscene from one a little too often.

Sure- you can say a bunch of cool looking shit is happening but it's nearly impossible to tell what is going on or even who is involved , just a bunch of men in suits dancing around a bunch of monsters and then here comes a big monster (and yeah I know that thing was just there for fan service reasons). This is to say little of what amounts to a title crawl to explain the over convoluted backstory that is all pretty much unnecessary for Nyx' character arc. Basically everything after the title of the film is revealed isn't bad outside of a couple of odd plot holes.

This really could have been a fun little tale involving Nyx, Crow and Libertus going on a covert mission that ultimately ends in their sacrifice but instead Nyx' buds quickly get sidelined before you can gain much attachment to them. So while Nyx himself and his character arc almost work, there's too much junk happening around him. I think ultimately - this film was rushed through production to get it done as quickly as possible so things like scene blocking (still important in CG) weren't done to the level they needed and - the editing again , this movie does cuts to black CONSTANTLY which just breaks up the flow of everything. I could go on and on about all the little details that could have tweaked this film into something better but , it simply is what it is for now and at the end of the day - if you are excited for FFXV and enjoyed something like Advent Children , there's some cool shit happening here with some generally pretty nice looking CG. Just know that there's literally nothing beyond that to witness here. It's pretty much a 2 hour CG intro to FFXV that might not even be required viewing to enjoy the game... but it might quell some of the hype for the game if you watch it now seeing as there's still almost 2 months until the game is out.

well said

Laws00

Neither can I. It's frustrating.

I mean yeah, I just want it because it includes Brotherhood (which I think should have been on the regular blu ray as well) but still. No stores have it.

pretty much this. I don't know why the hell they did that either.

went to 2 targets, walmart, 2 best buys, FYE nothing

funny enough they're selling Final fantasy 7 advent children complete but it doesnt include Final Fantasy VII Last Order . I fucking hate this lol

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

pretty much this. I don't know why the hell they did that either.

went to 2 targets, walmart, 2 best buys, FYE nothing

funny enough they're selling Final fantasy 7 advent children complete but it doesnt include Final Fantasy VII Last Order . I fucking hate this lol

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

To be fair the original release of ACC didn't have Last Order either. It was only on some special DVD edition that came with postcards, a script book, and a small book with a few of the On the Way to a Smile stories.

Watching this now, 3/4 of the way through, and definitely liking it more than I expected, while not without its problems.

Most majorly is how bad/non-sensical some of the dialog is. It's like the characters are just saying things and not actually listening/talking to each other.

Edit: OK screw it. Nothing anyone does in this movie makes any sense.

Superflat

Just watched it. As a side story, I thought it was actually okay. I came into this without expecting anything (not even sure if i'm going to pick up FFXV), and came away thinking that the world be more interesting than the last few FF games.

The story was more like a short story elongated into a feature length film. Some of the editing and cuts are so weird and off at times; there were a lot of moments that would have benefitted from a clean cut, but there were strange fades to black when there wasnt any passing of time or cuts to a different location. It was just there to be there.

Characters are mostly flat and not a lot actually happens in the story to make it worthy of its own film, but it was a decent watch to get me a little more interested in FFXV than I was before.

Top Bottom