• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KINGSGLAIVE: Final Fantasy XV Thread: Everything for the future king

The one thing I didn't really get was why Luna was good? If she's on Niflheim side isn't she supposed to be evil and deceitful? Also the bit at the beginning when they're running away and she stays with Niflheim. How did that situation happen to begin with? Why was the king with her back then and Noctis in a wheelchair wtf? And why does everyone want this wedding to happen so bad if Niflheim is so evil?

Also the ring come out of nowhere it reminded me of LOTR yet the princess didn't use it or talk about where or how she got it. Is it explained more in the game?

Watched this yesterday, and it was pretty much garbage to me. Terrible dialogue, and too many unmeaningful fight scenes. It did get me interested in the ring though, which is something, I guess.

Are the Japanese and English version re-rendered to sync with the characters mouths? I want to watch this in Japanese with subs, but I was wondering if I get an blu-ray from this region it would be the same as one from another region.

sappyday

The one thing I didn't really get was why Luna was good? If she's on Niflheim side isn't she supposed to be evil and deceitful? Also the bit at the beginning when they're running away and she stays with Niflheim. How did that situation happen to begin with? Why was the king with her back then and Noctis in a wheelchair wtf? And why does everyone want this wedding to happen so bad if Niflheim is so evil?

Also the ring come out of nowhere it reminded me of LOTR yet the princess didn't use it or talk about where or how she got it. Is it explained more in the game?

Umm a lot of this is explained in the movie

luna is from Tenebrea. A country that was independent from any other nation until that opening scene in the movie where Niflheim takes over and kills Luna's mom. She could have ended up like her brother Ravus who blames Regis on the death of his mother. Luna on the other hand doesn't blame Regis and blames Niflheim.

Noct is in a wheelchair cause of the event in Brotherhood/Plat Demo. This isn't explained in the movie but it isn't a detail that was necessary imo.

I don't know what you mean by everyone. The wedding on the surface is supposed to be a symbol of peace between Lucis and Niflheim. Some people want this while others don't (specifically the KG soldiers)

The ring was given to Luna by Regis before he dies. She knows not to use it, especially after seeing her brother's arm get burned off by using it. Plus it's not for her to use since it belong to Noctis. The ring is important in the game but since the game hasn't come out we don't know what it's role will be exactly in the game.

Abdiel

Just watched this with my best friend. Wasn't perfect, but we both really enjoyed it. Especially as part of the whole lead up to FFXV.

I tell you what, I really fucking wish I had FFXV in hand right now. Long wait to the end of November, but after Brotherhood and this, I'm definitely even more excited.

Mesoian

Watched this tonight. Enjoyable movie, very entertaining, more so if you know FF lore.

But I have no idea what FF15 is supposed to be now that I've seen this.

Abdiel

Watched this tonight. Enjoyable movie, very entertaining, more so if you know FF lore.

But I have no idea what FF15 is supposed to be now that I've seen this.

Did you see the very end of the credits? That's how the game starts. A different side of the story, with very different characters and consequences for their journey, very still very much influenced by all the Shit that went down in insomnia.

Mesoian

Did you see the very end of the credits? That's how the game starts. A different side if the story, with very different characters and consequences for their journey, very still very much influenced by all the Shit that went down in insomnia.

I did. I was just under the implication that Noctus escaping the city was a big part of the start of the game.

I've also been on media blackout for the past 4 months.

Beware if you're buying this on PS4: there are two versions, one that comes with bonus features and one that doesn't. They're both $15. Pretty scummy of Sony to have both listings when one is unconditionally inferior to the other.

Uhyve

So I just activated the ultraviolet code (UK) and went to watch it on Flixter... it's currently showing me Spirits Within instead, lol.

I already watched it directly from the Blu Ray so I don't care, I was mainly just curious about the quality of UltraViolet ("HD" looks like low bitrate 480p, at least for Spirits Within), I suppose it's almost like a bonus feature, haha.

This isn't improving my opinion of Ultraviolet though. Also, why can't I watch Ultraviolet on Android TV yet? It's meant to be a universal library... Universal means I can watch it anywhere, like on my TV right?

But yeah, in my opinion the movie was fine as long as you can excuse the JRPG quality dialog. I mean, as an example, that bit in the market after their first mission was bad to the point where you could almost hear the VOs trying to make it bearable. But I think it serves well as a long, high quality intro to the game. If you watch it with that in mind you won't be disappointed.

xion4360

Was the movie rendered ONLY with the English dubs in mind? Even the Japanese release was just dubbed over?

Cant imagine they have the budget to render so much of the movie twice. With the games it works but not with something this expensive and with multiple teams involved.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
To anyone who bought the limited edition bluray, what was included in the "extended cut" of the anime? The 6th episode?

I'll just quote me from last page. All together it's about 2 minutes of footage. One of the scenes is just an animated version of what we see in the Kingsglaive opening, and another is an animated version of a scene that has been seen in a recent trailer.

My Bluray should be arriving any minute now with episode 6 of Brotherhood.

Edit: Looks like the extra episode is actually a series of bonus scenes between every episode and after the ending.

Summary:

The first 3 scenes are just 5 second scenes of Luna paging through a notebook looking at notes on each of Noctis's party after their respective episodes.

After episode 4 there is a more substantial episode where we see Regis wheel Noctis into Luna's room where they meet for the first time and Regis tells him to introduce himself.
It then transitions to an animated version of the Kingsglaive opening where Regis runs away with Noctis leaving Luna behind.
Then there's a short scene of Luna looking at the Ring with Gentiana commenting on its power.

Post credits scene is Luna wondering if Noctis is safe, then we see the bros in the boat with Noctis thinking to himself "Sorry for the wait Luna, I'll be there soon".

Not very exciting.

Finally got around to seeing this. It's not too bad at all. It actually managed to get me excited for FFXV so I guess it worked.

kurahador

I'll just quote me from last page. All together it's about 2 minutes of footage. One of the scenes is just an animated version of what we see in the Kingsglaive opening, and another is an animated version of a scene that has been seen in a recent trailer.

Bummer. Thanks. Guess I'll wait for the LE to be cheaper.

I had literally no expectations and i thought it was awesome. Had me grinning through the whole thing. I do love popcorny action flicks though and this movie was beautiful and fun to watch.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I got a chance to watch this during my recent flight. I would have been very disappointed if I saw this in a theater, but I enjoyed it overall. It definitely got me interested in the world and story of Final Fantasy XV. I hadn't really been paying attention to the story of the game much and only really knew about the bros on a road trip thing, but with Kingsglaive serving as the set up for the game, I'm genuinely excited for it.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I rented this 2 days ago and watched just for the backstory on FFXV. I thought the character animations weren't so great but it was "ok" overall. I don't plan to watch again but I know more about the FFXV world now then I did before.

Dead

well not really...yet
Watched this last night with a buddy

The voice of the Fat Glaive was just brutal, awful stuff and took away from the movie any time he was on screen. Why.

I'm assuming the Kingsglaive Blu-ray that comes with the $90 Deluxe Edition of FFXV is not the version that includes the extended cut of Brotherhood.

Can someone confirm?

Setsu00

Watched this last night with a buddy

The voice of the Fat Glaive was just brutal, awful stuff and took away from the movie any time he was on screen. Why.

Libertus is one of the worst characters in the history of the franchise.
It's a shame he's most likely going to pop up in the main game too going by Kingsglaive's ending.

AwShucks

I enjoyed it. Will watch in Japanese next time because a few of the voices are just so bad. Love the king and some of his advisors. The story is decent and combined with Brotherhood has me caring about the FFXV world before the game is even out. Action was mostly great if a bit jumpy.

And other than the lip syncing it's gorgeous.

I bought this yesterday and I enjoyed it, but it highlighted something that I've never been comfortable with in FFXV. It all looks futuristic but they drive around in present day vehicles and there are giant billboards that look like NYC. It's some weird uncanny valley thing for me.

Kssio_Aug

Just watched the movie, and I think it was very good! =)

However, I'm quite disappointed with all the changes the game seems to suffer in it's lore, based on Versus XIII trailers.

I mean, just for comparison sake, it's worth to watch this trailer again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGyVZRHZ2ow

I'm not really following FFXV story leaks or anything, but if I'm saying something wrong, please correct me.

Stella is now Lunafreya, right?
In Versus XIII she seems like an antagonist, if not, at least she seemed way stronger!!

Overall, in Versus XIII seemed different. A bit more mature think. Noctis getting out of the the castle and killing everyone, characters were all different and more badass... I think none of these scenes will be in FFXV anymore.

I think FFXV has a chance to become a great game. But I'm sad that FFvsXIII is really dead.

Kamek

Just watched this, and just watched all of the Brotherhood anime. My hype for this game is at the levels it was in '06. Haven't watched any of the recent trailers, except for the OMEN one. Played teh Duscae and Platinum demos. This will be an amazing experience.

Mcdohl

I just rewatched.

I have 2 lingering questions:

1. What is so important about saving Noctis that the King
was willing to let Insomnia fall
?

Potential game spoilers too:
2. When does Luna get the ring of the Lucii? Or does it not happen in the movie?

Setsu00

Just watched the movie, and I think it was very good! =)

However, I'm quite disappointed with all the changes the game seems to suffer in it's lore, based on Versus XIII trailers.

I mean, just for comparison sake, it's worth to watch this trailer again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGyVZRHZ2ow

I'm not really following FFXV story leaks or anything, but if I'm saying something wrong, please correct me.

Stella is now Lunafreya, right?
In Versus XIII she seems like an antagonist, if not, at least she seemed way stronger!!

Overall, in Versus XIII seemed different. A bit more mature think. Noctis getting out of the the castle and killing everyone, characters were all different and more badass... I think none of these scenes will be in FFXV anymore.

I think FFXV has a chance to become a great game. But I'm sad that FFvsXIII is really dead.

Look, I'm among the first to scream that FFXV is a lackluster version of Versus XIII, but that scene was more edgy than mature.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Everyone who said this was a bad movie is wrong.

Chubby guy's English voice, though... that was bad.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Something about the way his mouth was rendered was really off-putting as well, even though lopsided mouths are pretty common in real life

Didn't like anything about Libertus tbh.
He was a pretty unlikable character for almost the entire movie, no matter what he was doing. Even when they wanted you to sympathize with him, he just came off as a selfish jerk.

I'll rewatch this in Japanese before XV comes out. Outside of "the big three" the English VA was uniformly mediocre. (Actually, I take that back, British racist cop dude was well acted, but only appeared in like two scenes)

SolVanderlyn

You have as avatar one of the worst characters in the movie, your opinion is invalidated.
Ravus hardly did anything in the movie. There's not much to go on there.
Even Crowe had more screen time

Razgreez

Wonkiness in the animation, especially facial, of this movie along with the out of sync audio makes it really difficult to watch for me - but I'll persevere

SolVanderlyn

I watched this in Japanese and it looked like they at least semi-synched the lips at certain close up scenes... was that a placebo effect?

SilentRob

I watched it yesterday and posted my impressions in a different thread but obviously they rather belong in this thread, so i modified them and went into more detail here.

I thought it was atrocious from nearly any angle. The directing, editing, framing, voice acting, storytelling, characters and the plot itself. The movie's only redeeming quality for me is the occasional eye candy, but for that you have to be able to look past the fact that many character's faces are perfect examples of the uncanny valley.

Regarding the most technical standpoints:

The editing, framing and direction of the action is objectively awful. It's full of random cuts to black, transitions, swipes, hard cuts, slow transitions to black, changes of perspective, leading to a completely disconnected viewing experience where you get the sense that most of the time the editor had no idea how to transition from one scene to the next. Luna enters the throne room, we see her approach the throne on which Regis is sitting. There is a slow fade to black...and then she is standing a few meters further ahead and starts talking to Regis. All of these editing techniques are used interchangeably. When a slow fade would make more sense to show the passage of time there are hard cuts. When it's a simple transition from one scene to the other there is suddenly a fade to black in the middle. During the action the camera changes perspective constantly and often in the matter of a few frames, not even giving you a second to orient yourself, understanding where the fighters are in relation to each other. Combine that with Nyx' teleport activity and I had absolutely no idea what was going on during most of the action scenes. Many times punches and attacks don't really connect on screen but instead you see one person charging and when it cuts to another viewpoint the opponent is already flying away. Regularly it seemed there were sound effects missing in relation to hits connecting or weapons being used. It's a jumbled, incoherent mess I wouldn't even expect from a first year film student.

Sadly, the same goes for the story. It's an equally jumbled, unfocused, ill fitting mess and the storytelling heavily suffers from the atrocious editing, only to be outdone by the awful characters: Lunafreya may be the most offensive damsel in distress I have seen in the last few years. The handling of the (TWO) female characters was awful in general and the side characters range from mostly boring and forgettable (most of them) to excruciatingly annoying (Snow impersonator Libertus, that Brother of Luna who has nothing to do with anything at all and is of no consequence whatsoever). The movie starts with exposition in form of a narrator throwing about a dozen names, titles and concepts at you without any context in the span of 3 minutes and it just keeps going from there. It's bloated, it's confusing (not because it's complex, but because they did such a bad job in the storytelling department) and there are at least 2 storylines you could completely cut from the movie without losing any kind of plot progression.

The movie's plot structure, storytelling and characters have serious, serious flaws that any "real" movie would get torn apart for. If you like the universe and can look past many of the characters being deeply rooted in the uncanny valley you can absolutely enjoy the movie for it's exposition, deeper dive into the lore and occasional eye candy but I would make the argument all of this is the case despite of the storytelling, characters, narrative, editing and directing, not because of it. It's amateurish in nearly every way.

Top Bottom