• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby's Epic Yarn |OT| The Grass Feels Like...Pants

Gravijah

Snuggler said:
I've brutally murdered every Waddle Dee so far. I grab them then I throw them straight up into the abyss. My Kirby is an evil, blood thirsy SOB.

Gotta stop playing for now. : (

hey guy you aren't supposed to play kirby like fallout :/

this game is the perfect compliment to attempting a game like halo reach on legendary co-op. once you hit the point where it doesn't seem to want to let you play any more, pop in kirby and massage your soul

evanft said:
Sooo.....when does the actual game start? So far all I've been doing is breezing through levels collecting beads.
That's pretty much my impression after playing the first four levels. It seems really dumbed down so far compared to Wario Land Shake, even the first few levels in that game required some effort if you wanted to collect all the treasures and complete all the missions.

Aeana

nincompoop said:
That's pretty much my impression after playing the first four levels. It seems really dumbed down so far compared to Wario Land Shake, even the first few levels in that game required some effort if you wanted to collect all the treasures and complete all the missions.
It does get a little more challenging to collect everything as you go on, but, well, the game isn't hard. Not even close.

I'm iffy on getting this. On one hand, it looks like a really neat platformer, but the "you can't die" and lack of challenge is scaring me away.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
riceandbeans said:
I'm iffy on getting this. On one hand, it looks like a really neat platformer, but the "you can't die" and lack of challenge is scaring me away.

Well, it is meant for babies but it seems like a lot of fun so far. There isn't any tension or pressure, it's leisurely and pleasant. Just seeing the visuals and the animation in motion, on your TV is worth the price of entry. It's dazzling.
...but I guess there is no rush. I think we're all just getting started so maybe we'll report back later with more detailed impressions.

atomsk

Party Pooper
riceandbeans said:

beadrix challenge 18

>_<

(._.)

Banned
Just played it for about 17 minutes, first impressions: Love it. I have some work to do now but I hope to play it for a couple more hours later tonight.

Tiktaalik

Played the first 5 or so levels at my friends house in coop before we put it aside and played street fighter.

I'm 100% behind Sp0rsk's impressions from the 8-4 podcast. It's obviously incredibly well made, but my overall impression is that it's just a ho hum, nice game. It really is the definitive "game for babies." It would be awesome to play with a child, but it's not really made for me. With this game the challenge is just isn't there and so it's not all that compelling.

I'm actually not really into the music. At least in these initial 5 or so levels it's not upbeat enough. It actually doesn't feel like a good match to what's going on on the screen a lot of the time.

Tiktaalik

DevelopmentArrested said:
what? the music is incrediblely upbeat.

and every review has said that the game gets harder later on. what did you expect from first 5 levels?

I can give impressions on what I play, nothing more. The second level tune is like a lullaby.

Also almost always the beginning of a game is the most polished by far, and so if the beginning disappoints that is not a good sign.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Sn4ke_911 said:

I like their take on the difficulty issue.

As a hardcore gamer, you may think that the lack of traditional "challenge" would make the game boring. After all, if Kirby can't die, what's the point? Fortunately, the lack of dying does nothing to affect the game -- in fact, losing precious points and not getting a Gold Medal at the end of a level often makes the game even more engrossing. Rather than feeling protected by an energy bar, each hit represents a real failure. Sure, even if you take a fair few hits, it's usually still possible to obtain a Gold, but it becomes increasingly difficult, and somehow, failing to get that Medal seems even more punishing than seeing a Game Over screen.

In short, there is no way that you can not beat the game, but mastery is another matter entirely.

Penguin

Gravijah said:
This looks like the kind of game I'd play to reach the next stage, to hear the next song, etc.

Yeah pretty much this.

I beat a stage, and can't wait to see how the world map evolves (seems like they took the Super Mario World approach and did it like 10x), finding out what the next stage holds, what new transformations he can go through, etc

Aeana

Yes, playing to see/hear the next thing is one of the main things for me too. The game has remarkably little asset reuse as far as I am (5th world).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Penguin said:
I beat a stage, and can't wait to see how the world map evolves (seems like they took the Super Mario World approach and did it like 10x), finding out what the next stage holds, what new transformations he can go through, etc

Yep, this and I wanna pimp out Kirby's little apartment. I like stuff like that.

Blizzard

Banned
K-mart didn't seem to have the game, no big surprise, though I did not try to find anyone to ask. It turns out that they do seem to sell some PC games, though they are locked in the counter instead of with other games.

Toys R Us, on the other hand, had the game listed in the games section, had an actual piece of paper describing the gift card and mentioning the free guide, and had the game in stock. The guy checking out talked about his modded X-box and how he played the new Fallout game early, among other things, but seemed to have no clue about the strategy guide...except the manager lady who actually got the game brought the sealed strategy guide along with it. Overall I'd say it's a nicer experience than K-mart, or say, GameStop...I had always been lucky there, but last time I went in I had to say no like six times to the guy trying to give me a free trial membership or whatever. I finally had to be blunt and explain that it did me no good since I don't sell games, and I only usually buy PC games. He was like, augh, Steam. :lol

I'm sure I will need the in-depth strategy guide. Kirby games are known for being some of the hardest games in existence, I hear.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Blizzard said:
I'm sure I will need the in-depth strategy guide. Kirby games are known for being some of the hardest games in existence, I hear.

Yeah, it's brutal.
I've been on the phone all day with the Nintendo Power Hotline getting tips from the operator.

Amir0x

Banned
I really do feel like I'm playing a child's game in the literal sense of the word. This doesn't feel like one of those 'all-family' games that Nintendo usually makes. This is the easiest Kirby I've ever played, and that's saying something. It's like they made a platformer specifically for the 6 and under set.

I...i don't even know if the visuals will be enough to sustain me. I sure as fuck don't like collecting things. I got a better impression at ComicCon when I played for a few minutes fucking with a co-op buddy, so maybe that's the only way to play :lol

zigg

Amir0x said:
I got a better impression at ComicCon when I played for a few minutes fucking with a co-op buddy, so maybe that's the only way to play :lol

For what it's worth, it's a good deal of fun playing with an actual child. :lol

Amir0x

Banned
Snuggler said:
My cat could probably play it if I strapped the wiimote to her paw.

Seriously. Like, the only game I've ever actually purchased that has been easier has literally been edutainment titles for my niece. I've never actively purchased a game this easy in my life. It's ridiculous. It's like they sat there and whenever something could impede advancement they said "no, no, no...add more yarn. More yarn. Take away the mean things. This is a world of bubblegum and lollipops, whimsical and fancy free!"

I have not got hit ONCE yet. Not even ONCE.

Amir0x said:
I really do feel like I'm playing a child's game in the literal sense of the word. This doesn't feel like one of those 'all-family' games that Nintendo usually makes. This is the easiest Kirby I've ever played, and that's saying something. It's like they made a platformer specifically for the 6 and under set.

I...i don't even know if the visuals will be enough to sustain me. I sure as fuck don't like collecting things. I got a better impression at ComicCon when I played for a few minutes fucking with a co-op buddy, so maybe that's the only way to play :lol

It really seems like an "OHHHHH SHINY" kind of thing. Still going to get it for the wife.

ryan-ts

Amir0x said:
Seriously. Like, the only game I've ever actually purchased that has been easier has literally been edutainment titles for my niece. I've never actively purchased a game this easy in my life. It's ridiculous. It's like they sat there and whenever something could impede advancement they said "no, no, no...add more yarn. More yard. Take away the mean things. This is a world of bubblegum and lollipops, whimsical and fancy free!"

Keep playing and stop crying. Kirby can't suck up your tears this time, if you don't stop you'll drown.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Amir0x said:
Seriously. Like, the only game I've ever actually purchased that has been easier has literally been edutainment titles for my niece. I've never actively purchased a game this easy in my life. It's ridiculous. It's like they sat there and whenever something could impede advancement they said "no, no, no...add more yarn. More yard. Take away the mean things. This is a world of bubblegum and lollipops, whimsical and fancy free!"

How far in are you? I'm still way early, I don't expect it to be challenging but I'm hoping it's at least engaging later on. I do like just about everything else about the game, but so far it is about as easy as it gets.

Amir0x

Banned
Aeana said:
It's at least not as easy as Starfy games.
I've gotten hit a few times.

Never played any Starfy games, but if they're easier then this... does that mean in Starfy you just press A and the game plays itself?

zigg

Gravijah said:
Is it? Should be good for my sister. She always tries to play Mario but it's pretty hard.

Well, the child in question (my 8-year-old daughter) can handle NSMBW to a degree... but we're making a lot more progress in this game. It's quite a bit more forgiving.

That said, I recently played Dream Land for the first time ever, and this game isn't that easy.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
Never played any Starfy games, but if they're easier then this... does that mean in Starfy you just press A and the game plays itself?

You're thinking of Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children.

zigg said:
That said, I recently played Dream Land for the first time ever, and this game isn't that easy.

Ever play Dream Land 2? That one was a lot better.

Snaku

Banned
Picked my copy up earlier today from Kmart, though I had to make the girl go back to receiving to pull it. Cannot wait to dig into it later tonight. :D

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Well, it's on! I just got home and played the first few levels. It definitely has a kids vibe which my kids do love. My 1 year old just stares in glee at the colorful world. It's very fun. Can't wait to play more. Wii is bringing some seriously fun games this year.

Aeana

Amir0x said:
Starfy is easy enough that it actually bores me. A few Kirby games have done that (64, Dream Land games), but not all, and not this one. I think it gets a little trickier as you go, at least in terms of what you have to do to collect everything. You probably won't feel that way, though.

Amir0x

Banned
Aeana said:
Starfy is easy enough that it actually bores me. A few Kirby games have done that (64, Dream Land games), but not all, and not this one. I think it gets a little trickier as you go, at least in terms of what you have to do to collect everything. You probably won't feel that way, though.

Yeah see the problem is I don't like collecting things. I want the challenge to come from compelling platforming obstacles, if not enemies.

I haven't really seen any of that so far. I've played for about an hour so far and have not got hit once. Really, I can't remember the last time that has happened.

Maybe I can challenge myself to see if this will be the first game ever where I never get hit on the first playthrough :/

Oli

Amir0x said:
Yeah see the problem is I don't like collecting things. I want the challenge to come from compelling platforming obstacles, if not enemies.

I haven't really seen any of that so far. I've played for about an hour so far and have not got hit once. Really, I can't remember the last time that has happened.

Maybe I can challenge myself to see if this will be the first game ever where I never get hit on the first playthrough :/

You will get hit. Play it a little more.

Not that getting hit or being in danger adds anything to the game, just enjoy the ride.

I do see where you're coming from with the collecting, I never cared for Wario Land Shake it because of that, even though the game was lovely.

I think I'll enjoy a play through of Kirby though.

Blizzard

Banned
Amir0x said:

No offense, but I probably haven't played a kirby game in years and even I can tell from reviews and impressions that this is not the sort of game you should buy if you want a challenge from platforming obstacles or enemies. Maybe kirby was about that once, but I don't think anyone was saying this game would be that way.

Amir0x

Banned
Blizzard said:
No offense, but I probably haven't played a kirby game in years and even I can tell from reviews and impressions that this is not the sort of game you should buy if you want a challenge from platforming obstacles or enemies. Maybe kirby was about that once, but I don't think anyone was saying this game would be that way.

i definitely did think platforming would take the form of difficulty considering there is no sucking up enemies mechanic so i thought they'd focus more on that. I never expected the game to be hard or even average difficulty, but it has actually shocked me how easy this game is. I am prone to hyperbole but this is bar none that easiest game I've ever purchased for a console.

and then other than that, i thought the visuals would carry me through. Ah well, i'll give it some more time. Sometimes they save the good shit for the second half of the game

Top Bottom