• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby's Epic Yarn |OT| The Grass Feels Like...Pants

Kifimbo

Just finished it. It gets harder, but it's easy until the end. Except some challenges and finding some secrets. I agree with Destructoid on the difficulty. Because you can't die, you want to achieve perfection, so when you lose beads, you're upset and you'd like to retry.

It was still a wonderful journey. Joyful, creative, relaxing.

GWX

I'm loving this game. Just made to
Water Land
, and it has been great so far. While not very challenging, it can be tricky to get all the treasures and the gold medals, and the level design has been varied and well crafted so far. A shame that it'll end soon :/

fake edit:
Melody Town is incredible. Wow.

I just completed everything in World 1. Had to go back to the boss and figure out how to get him to drop more gems before I unlocked the bonus stages. The bonus levels were a lot better than the regular levels in the sense that you could actually take damage and miss some gems or treasures if you weren't paying attention. They were still really easy to get gold on though. I take it you can't get a better medal than gold on any of the levels? (Since I had to go back to the second bonus level to get one of the treasures and I ended up tripling my score from the first attempt, but I still only received gold.)
Amir0x said:
Seriously. Like, the only game I've ever actually purchased that has been easier has literally been edutainment titles for my niece. I've never actively purchased a game this easy in my life. It's ridiculous. It's like they sat there and whenever something could impede advancement they said "no, no, no...add more yarn. More yarn. Take away the mean things. This is a world of bubblegum and lollipops, whimsical and fancy free!"

I have not got hit ONCE yet. Not even ONCE.
Did you play the two bonus levels in world one? Those two levels actually feel like they weren't designed exclusively for children.

Naruto

I think I'm in love with this game. The art-style is jaw dropping, truly one of the most beautiful looking games out there, and the gameplay mechanics, specifically Kirby's transformations are great fun for the most part(the train and the race car being my favourites so far). Also, the music is incredible and really sets the tone for a relaxing, somewhat nostalgic experience.

Haven't had this much fun since Super Mario Galaxy 2.

izakq

Used my Enslaved $25 gaming coupon to purchase this for $25, and got a $20 gaming coupon in return over at Kmart.

Playing coop with my son and we're both enjoying it.

BLagiver

Banned
If you get hit all you have to do is pick back up all the jewels you lost before they disappear like sonics gold rings. I say at least check out some YouTube videos before you purchase because you may feel cheated as this might not be the game for you.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I lost like half of my jewels in 2-1. Goddamned cactuses.

I got 2nd place in the race so I killed the other 2 guys. I'm a sore loser, I guess.

Easy or not, this is a fun game. I got a slick plasma TV and a roast turkey for my apartment.

Boney

Banned
AniHawk said:
What about Super Mario Galaxy?
Exactly what I was gonna say. It's very easy, except for the last stars, but the enjoyment comes from the different locales and how you interact with them.

Haven't gotten my mitts on this one yet though.

Amir0x

Banned
Boney said:
Exactly what I was gonna say. It's very easy, except for the last stars, but the enjoyment comes from the different locales and how you interact with them.

Haven't gotten my mitts on this one yet though.

Please. Super Mario Galaxy compared to Kirby Epic Yarn is like fucking Demon's Souls. In fact, if you play Kirby and don't think the comparison is absurd then I can only believe you're being intellectually dishonest.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Maybe I'm just weaksauce, but there was about 10 or so prankster comets in Super Mario Galaxy that gave me a hard time. It wasn't hard enough to make me cry or anything, but it was a challenge. The purple coin challenges in the Dreadnaut galaxy and especially the Toy Time one kicked my ass. The daredevil run at Melty Molten was pretty tough, too.

Anyways, it doesn't really compare to this game.

Aeana

Errr... yeah, as much as Kirby's Epic Yarn is not really bothering me with its lack of difficulty, I don't think comparing it to Super Mario Galaxy makes any sense whatsoever. Super Princess Peach is probably more comparable.

Amir0x

Banned
I mean some people like this type of gameplay so that's cool i just thought the level design/platforming challenges would be sort of compelling, but they're not doing it for me at all.

But to compare it to the difficulty of Super Mario Galaxy... nah.

I've gotta play this Starfy to see how easy it is. Aeana made me genuinely curious :lol

Boney

Banned
Amir0x said:
Please. Super Mario Galaxy compared to Kirby Epic Yarn is like fucking Demon's Souls. In fact, if you play Kirby and don't think the comparison is absurd then I can only believe you're being intellectually dishonest.
Yeah I haven't played it, that's why I can't really tell, came out different because I saw Anihawk's quote.

But maybe it's the extra dimension that makes galaxy more difficult.. regardless it still is apparently.

I guess you can't be wooed by strugging at your heartstrings :p

Amir0x said:
I've gotta play this Starfy to see how easy it is. Aeana made me genuinely curious :lol
You're gonna hate it. It has collecta thon in their levels, incredible easy and dull. But goddamit he's so cute. Maybe the gba games are better?

Amir0x

Banned
Boney said:
Yeah I haven't played it, that's why I can't really tell, came out different because I saw Anihawk's quote.

But maybe it's the extra dimension that makes galaxy more difficult.. regardless it still is apparently.

I guess you can't be wooed by strugging at your heartstrings :p

i swear to god if you say something about a lack of soul i will not be very polite at all, ser

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Amir0x said:
i swear to god if you say something about a lack of soul i will not be very polite at all, ser

You just don't appreciate it's charm. Maybe someday you'll loosen up and let the sun shine in.

Aeana

Boney said:
You're gonna hate it. It has collecta thon in their levels, incredible easy and dull. But goddamit he's so cute. Maybe the gba games are better?
My experience comes from the GBA games. I haven't even played the one on DS that came out in English.

Boney

Banned
Aeana said:
My experience comes from the GBA games. I haven't even played the one on DS that came out in English.
I heard 3 or 4 was the really good one or something. But 5 is so dull... not a big fan of Super Princess Peach either...

I might not even like this one. But I loved WL Shake It, so I don't know.

i don't understand. i mean everyone has said from the beginning that this would be 'go right to win' until much later in the game. how could anybody be surprised by this now i have no idea

DevelopmentArrested said:
i don't understand. i mean everyone has said from the beginning that this would be 'go right to win' until much later in the game. how could anybody be surprised by this now i have no idea

It's Enslaved for cats and you know it..

Amir0x said:
I mean some people like this type of gameplay so that's cool i just thought the level design/platforming challenges would be sort of compelling, but they're not doing it for me at all.

But to compare it to the difficulty of Super Mario Galaxy... nah.

Get 3 for GBA I would say. Yeah it's easy, other than a few spots, but it's a really well done platformer. 5 (the only one in English) is good but I'd put it only above 4.

Super Princess Peach is harder on average than any Starfy game, I'd say.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Go right to win is thankfully not the point of the game, the point is to finish a stage with all three treasures and the gold medal from bead count. Though this is not always hair-pullingly maddening it does at least require some level of exploration and problem solving.

It's nothing any different from virtually every other Kirby game in that regard!

So far I've played the first three levels and the hide-and-go-seek mini-game, and I absolutely love it! Everything about it is just so darn cute.

Even as I'm posting this, Kirby is busy jumping rope on screen with his own thread. He tripped at one point, but it looks like he's ok. <3

I will say it's quite an easy game. I've managed to gold each level and find all the items so far without putting much thought into it. Though that's never been something very important to me, so it's no big deal. Everything else about the game more than makes up for it anyway.

It's my game of year so far.

Blizzard said:
K-mart didn't seem to have the game, no big surprise, though I did not try to find anyone to ask. It turns out that they do seem to sell some PC games, though they are locked in the counter instead of with other games.

Toys R Us, on the other hand, had the game listed in the games section, had an actual piece of paper describing the gift card and mentioning the free guide, and had the game in stock. The guy checking out talked about his modded X-box and how he played the new Fallout game early, among other things, but seemed to have no clue about the strategy guide...except the manager lady who actually got the game brought the sealed strategy guide along with it. Overall I'd say it's a nicer experience than K-mart, or say, GameStop...I had always been lucky there, but last time I went in I had to say no like six times to the guy trying to give me a free trial membership or whatever. I finally had to be blunt and explain that it did me no good since I don't sell games, and I only usually buy PC games. He was like, augh, Steam. :lol

I'm sure I will need the in-depth strategy guide. Kirby games are known for being some of the hardest games in existence, I hear.

You should've asked! They hadn't bothered to put it on the shelves yet at mine, but the lady at the counter got one out the back for me real quick.

Got my $20 coupon, which will go towards Vanquish on Tuesday, netting me another $20 coupon. Win.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Well I had some free time today and I decided to test out Nabs WIP config for Kirby's Epic Yarn (a benefit of being tight with him and having him as the thread co-creator) and my god does it look spectacular. After the underwhelming results of Wario being emulated, the team really knocked it out of the park with the art assets in this game. They also didn't use pre-rendered cutscenes!!!!

Anyways, the game feels great on the Wiimote, has been a near perfect 60 fps, and the music is goddamn amazing. If you are a sucker for incredible graphics/art, this game is a must buy. It instantly shot to the top of my favorite graphics of the year and I'm digging the laid back gameplay too.

Anyways, I have begun my photo album as promised. If you want to save a picture, click "view on Skydrive" in the upper left and then middle-click the pic to open the raw file in a new tab:

Stallion's Photo Album for Kirby's Epic Yarn

And some samples:

Kirby%20005.jpg

Kirby%20013.jpg

Kirby%20014.jpg

Kirby%20016.jpg

Kirby%20019.jpg

Hylian7

I bought this game today and holy shit it's incredibly good! The music is much better than I was expecting as well, especially the stuff playing during a certain boss later on:
Meta Knight

I'm tackling the last world now, I was overjoyed to be back in Dream Land, I can't wait to see the rest of this. Also, I LOVE the transformations.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So is the same team that did Wario Land: Shake It, then? No wonder they feel so similar.
So far I like Kirby a bit better, Wario was good but the repetition killed it for me towards the end. It was the same damn process every level, I've already seen more variety in Kirby in the first 1 1/2 worlds.

dwebo

Hmm, doesn't look as good as I thought it would at 1080p. The objects that are rendered in 3-D like the zipper and the gems pop out too much.

Hylian7

Stallion Free said:
From my Dolphin thread:

Well I had some free time today and I decided to test out Nabs WIP config for Kirby's Epic Yarn (a benefit of being tight with him and having him as the thread co-creator) and my god does it look spectacular. After the underwhelming results of Wario being emulated, the team really knocked it out of the park with the art assets in this game. They also didn't use pre-rendered cutscenes!!!!

Anyways, the game feels great on the Wiimote, has been a near perfect 60 fps, and the music is goddamn amazing. If you are a sucker for incredible graphics/art, this game is a must buy. It instantly shot to the top of my favorite graphics of the year and I'm digging the laid back gameplay too.

Anyways, I have begun my photo album as promised (100% quality jpegs converted from lossless bmp, full 1080p). If you want to save a picture, click "view on Skydrive" in the upper left and then middle-click the pic to open the raw file in a new tab:

Stallion's Photo Album for Kirby's Epic Yarn

And some samples:

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com...qLH_-1Hz42CYA_xhdhcEJC6SBr_YMUg/Kirby 005.jpg

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com...SHcfx4Af7inZzXKROL_7_b13qP4FDnQ/Kirby 012.jpg

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com...sPVzXdIlH997rlMh1ZxIEcqnZM_80_w/Kirby 014.jpg

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com...5xywVaJA2wZMiWrjZazV7KFN3CVhf_g/Kirby 019.jpg
Awwww yeah!!!! I knew this would look fantastic in Dolphin!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
dwebo said:
Hmm, doesn't look as good as I thought it would at 1080p. The objects that are rendered in 3-D like the zipper and the gems pop out too much.
Go play it, see it in motion and then come back with your opinions.

dwebo

Stallion Free said:
Just calling it like I saw it from the pictures you posted. In any case, my laptop isn't powerful enough to run Dolphin at anywhere near those settings.

I've added it to my gamefly queue though, due to all the positive impressions. Now I just need to find me a woman, make a baby, and raise said baby before the game arrives so I can play with him. :-/

Oli

Got the game around 1, and played it for 4 hours over the day. Kind of unheard of for me, but I'm glad it has that quality of drawing me back in for more.

Red

dwebo said:
Stallion Free said:
It looks good, Stallion, but it's not something that's as strikingly improved as Other M was. Regardless of how it looks in motion, the fabric textures don't seem to be as crisp as what's being rendered in 3D.

Still, it's a ridiculously pretty game, HD or not.

AwRy108

Crunched said:
...but it's not something that's as strikingly improved as Other M was.

Odd, I must've missed that part of Other M. Probably to busy gritting my teeth at Samus' nonsensical ramblings...

Played the first three levels thus far. Very easy, but veeeeerrryyy charming. Every time Kirby transformed into his car or tank self I could hear my GF behind me make her little "AW!" sound that is normally reserved for her baby niece.

Alright, I want to buy this game from someone when they finish it. I'll pay $35 shipped (Club Nintendo code must be unused)

Just PM me. I have Paypal.

Can't wait to play it! I just love Kirby.

I played the first world, including the two bonus levels. Obviously the bonus levels were the best for providing some sort of challenge. Still, I think the objectives for getting the treasures and music are enough to make this more than just "hold right to win." I'm enjoying it.

It's not epic like Galaxy or a glorious marathon of platforming like NSMB Wii, but it's a fun, relaxing platformer. It's fun, much in the same way that controlling Mario in Mario 64 was just fun. Exploring the world of the castle. Music and graphics are obviously excellent. After just beating MegaMan 9, I'm okay with the lack of hardcore difficulty. I just wouldn't want every game to be this easy.

Ryn

Just beat the game. Welp..that was easy. Crazy adorable as all hell but, still I didn't think there was any difficulty at all, especially not being able to die. I don't know if I can make myself go through and 100% it though.

BlueMagic

Ryn said:
Just beat the game. Welp..that was easy. Crazy adorable as all hell but, still I didn't think there was any difficulty at all, especially not being able to die. I don't know if I can make myself go through and 100% it though.

Completing it brings some of the difficulty some of you may be looking for.

Ranger X

Ok wow.

Just WOW.

It's rare I post right away after starting a game but I really needed to vent. I only have the first 2-3 levels done (including) tutorial and I am MEGA SOLD.
This game is completely going overboard in the "charming" style and it stinks imagination from kilometers away. It simply is incredible. Best Kirby game since Kirby's Adventure NES and will probably end up my favorite one ever I suppose.

Incredible. Wii pwning my nostalgia yet again!! (NSMBWii was better than SMB3)

Top Bottom