• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby's Epic Yarn |OT| The Grass Feels Like...Pants

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Doesn't look all that amazing in Dolphin, as I expected. The extra resolution is nice, but its really only valued on parts of the game that use polygons, like the zippers. Everything else seems to be heavily focused on the yarn texture, which seems like it was built for a 480p display and thus doesn't gain any detail from higher resolutions.

Still looks great. Just nowhere near the shock of something like NSMBW and it's high res assets.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The lava level was fun. I love his change when he goes through a tunnel, that made me giggle. The game is still easy, but searching for chests and trying to nab every bee I see is enough to keep it interesting for me. I'm happy with it so far.

Great success. How do you unlock the hidden levels?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
syllogism said:
It's really pretty and charming, but it's difficult for me to appreciate a game that is utterly devoid of any challenge.

try playing it with the wiimote upside down

KrawlMan

Anybody know why the ***** 6.5/10 review is no longer there? N4G had it posted, but by the time I actually got around to clicking the link it was no longer available.

Edit: Removed the N4G link, didnt know you couldn't say the name of that site.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Got the game yesterday and played up through the majority of world 3... like others said, the game is extremely easy, but I actually kinda like that. It's a nice change of pace from what I usually play, and it's a great, non-stressful game. Nintendo should market this instead of "Wii Relax".

I love the piano-based music, some of it has shades of the old Peanuts cartoons, and others are surprisingly very melancholy for a game like Kirby, which usually features real upbeat music.

I'm enjoying the game much more than Wario Land: Shake It, also by GOOD FEEL. Wario Land seemed to be pretty punishing if you wanted to collect all the treasures, you had zero margin for error, and if you missed a treasure once, you would not be able to go back and get it, without requiring a whole stage restart. Apart from the auto-scrolling stages (usually the vehicle ones), this hasn't been a problem with Kirby for me. Plus, Kirby moves much smoother than in Shake It. The level design is very clever, I only wish there was a way to die or something.

The animations when you unlock new levels with patches are usually adorable, too!

This game is sooo sacharin and cute :lol Had me smiling immediately. At first impression, the presentation does make it feel likes its for babies though.

Also, the visuals are absolutely amazing.

Struct09

1049228942_ZWeyE-L.jpg

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ok, game has been delivered, now I just have to wait till I get home to play it. Then maybe work some sleep in someplace.

Does the game play off an HDD ok, or will I need to play if off the disc?

Edit: Oh wait, game is still in transit. If you skip my house UPS driver, I will murder you the next time I see you. Don't mess this up.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Erasus said:
Seeing the Giantbomb QL on this makes me want to get a Wii. How horrible does it look on a 42 HDTV? :p

I'm not on on the Dolphin thing, but it looks great on my 32inch.
Seems to be one of the better looks Wii games on an HD set, but I'm no tech expert.

Yeah, if you don't have 'em, get some cheapo components from monoprice

Erasus said:
Seeing the Giantbomb QL on this makes me want to get a Wii. How horrible does it look on a 42 HDTV? :p

Get component cables and you'll be fine.

On my 42" + component cables I haven't had many problems with most games, personally.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Does any soundtrack beat Mario Galaxy's? It's pretty hard to top that.

I enjoy Kirby's music and it's a perfect fit but it's nothing I'd listen to outside of the game.

Aeana

I don't think there's a whole lot of value in comparing the two soundtracks.
Kirby's is really good, though, and I've already listened to several songs quite a bit outside of the game. I really love it.

Adam J.

I'm playing it on my 42 panny plasma (through component) and it looks weak. Tonight I'm going to take my Wii down to the living room and hook it up to my Trinitron CRT. Wii looks amazing on HD CRTs.

Drkirby said:
Ok, game has been delivered, now I just have to wait till I get home to play it. Then maybe work some sleep in someplace.

Does the game play off an HDD ok, or will I need to play if off the disc?

Edit: Oh wait, game is still in transit. If you skip my house UPS driver, I will murder you the next time I see you. Don't mess this up.

works fine off of hdd
Erasus said:

I have a 50" plasma HDTV and it's one of the better looking games on the Wii. Looks really good.

RobbieNick

Just picked it up at K-Mart and got my $20 gaming coupon that I will use tomorrow for Vanquish which will get me ANOTHER $20 coupon!! I'm doing all my Game Shopping at K-mart from now on. I can't believe I just said that.

BTW, the game is so adorable, I may just puke up rainbows.

RobbieNick said:
Just picked it up at K-Mart and got my $20 gaming coupon that I will use tomorrow for Vanquish which will get me ANOTHER $20 coupon!! I'm doing all my Game Shopping at K-mart from now on. I can't believe I just said that.

BTW, the game is so adorable, I may just puke up rainbows.
The coupons don't become valid until the 24th, or at least they're not supposed to.

Got the game Sunday, partially into World 2 with my bro, and oh man.

The music being mostly piano based is surprising. Expected there to be more, and yet, I'm content.

The lack of death does not mean the difficulty is easy. Getting hit, missing treasures and beads, defeating bosses. Those are difficulty factors without the YOU DIED mantra. It essentially makes Kirby a wholly more accessible product, and when you are venturing through a FREAKING WORLD MADE OF FABRIC, it just makes it such a positive, happy experience.

I think this game is going to definitely do well, with the way it just feels. So soft and aahhh my brain its melting me with cuuuute...

Hylian7

I just beat the game, I didn't gold every level or find every single item or even do the minigames, so I still need to go back and do that. I might even put this as one of my favorite games of this year. That last world was incredible!

Playing into world 2 right now. Having fun. Though I really feel like a moron when I get hit, as if Kirby is going to pop out of the console and just say, "lern 2 vidjagame."

Top Bottom