• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby's Epic Yarn |OT| The Grass Feels Like...Pants

Blizzard

Banned
Oh, I forgot to mention that for the most part, the controls worked really well for Kirby. They work so well and so easy for the different moves that it helps make things even easier since some (most?) enemies don't attack you. The only really awkward controls were the tilty motion controls to aim the nukemissilebombcannon.

zigg

Blizzard said:
The only really awkward controls were the tilty motion controls to aim the nukemissilebombcannon.

I thought those were just fine and really worked well.

Now, the train, that can die in HELL.

Since we're on the subject of controls, am I the only one who keeps attacking or throwing enemies diagonally by accident when I meant to attack or throw forward? My remote's dpad is so tiny and sensitive to diagonals that it's impossible to stop myself from accidentally hitting both directions with my thumb 100% of the time. I starting having issues with this when I had to replace my original remote with a black one, so I guess they made the d-pad smaller on those or maybe mine was just poorly built or something. Until now this had only been a minor issue in the other Wii games I've played since then which used the d-pad, but it seems to be messing up a lot more for me in Kirby for whatever reason.

Big One

Banned
nincompoop said:
Grab one of the fireball things he sends at you and throw it at him.
Heh, thanks. It's actually easier and faster to beat him without doing that so I figured just to jump over them (they balls look realistic, and in this game realistic is dangerous!).

On the game itself, it is pretty easy, but honestly I don't think this game would've been enhanced by a difficulty setting. It's also a bit jarring in how this is a Kirby game, even though barely any of the elements from the series in it aside from the characters and some of the enemies. You can tell this wasn't originally a Kirby game, in the very least, as the level design and control isn't really reminiscent of the series. However none of that is really much of a problem since the game is so enjoyable. I declare this to be 2010's feel-good game of the year, to just sit back and relax as you play.

TwiztidElf

This is the first game I can honestly say I enjoyed watching it more than playing it.
I got super frustrated and up tight playing it due to the non-challenge and ease, but when I put the Wii-mote in my 7yo boys hands, I sat back and enjoyed watching him smash through it.

This game reminds me a lot of Dora the Explorer Journey to the Purple Planet on the PS2. You can't die in that either. Lots of fun for kids and is also cute and adorable.

zigg

elektrixx said:
What's the go with the bars on the top and bottom, and why haven't I seen this anywhere else?

Oh God. Those show when you're playing in 4:3. They stretched 4:3 footage to 16:9 for their video. Who the heck approved that?

Boney

Banned
Ok just got to World 3. Maybe I'm one of the worst gamers ever, but I seem to get hit a lot. Especially by bosses. But I've had a golden medal on every level and missed 2 Treasures so far which I'm planning to go get later.

So far so good, love every stage motiff, and they're varied in themselves. Music is amazing as well. The game is very easy, and you seem to play on auto pilot, but it's been a great ride so far. Like it a lot.

sfried

Amir0x said:
Kirby: Epic Yarn has zero challenge anywhere at anytime. Its appeal seems to be solely from the charming and unique aesthetic it has, since the level design is unfun and provides no compelling obstacles to your advancement (but it's not bland, at least) and the enemies are about as easily avoidable as a turtle running at you at 0.2mph.
I'm sorry, but having optional goals as challenges does not constitute as "zero challenge". Epic Yarn delivers it in spades when invoked, as practically every level was designed with bead collecting in mind as opposed to just being some last minuite afterthought. There are even portions which require quick reflexes lest you'd be one to take a significant huge hit. Granted there is nothing to stop you from progressing, but that does not mean you will unlock everything in one sitting.

Doorman said:
Difficulty is not this game's strong suit, no. One thing I'd say it does do quite well (and this is something that Good-Feel did a decent job on in Wario Land as well) is the way that nearly every level has some sort of focus around a different platforming style or mechanic, even well into the final world. I do, however, wish that they'd actually taken the whole craftworks-into-platforming even farther and included a few more features. Stuff like the pullstrings to bring platforms closer and unzipping towers are awesome but it doesn't feel like there are many variations on that. Why not a level where you lasso a pencil and use it to draw yourself some new platforms, or some more uses for the "thread-unwinding" mechanic a la Capamari, or using scissors to cut up and unravel larger roadblocks? The concept is wonderful but it feels to an extent that they kind of gave up on it after a few neat ideas and just relegated the yarn to art-style only.
I agree with you that the concept could perhaps be taken further. I was expecting maybe a final hidden boss where the fabric of the level was slowly being burned and that you'd have to outrun it to get to maybe a yarn version of the Fountain of Dreams to stop the flames or something
, but perhaps that gameplay aspect was already covered by the Kracko chase stage

Amir0x

Banned
sfried said:
I'm sorry, but having optional goals as challenges does not constitute as "zero challenge". Epic Yarn delivers it in spades when invoked, as practically every level was designed with bead collecting in mind as opposed to just being some last minuite afterthought. There are even portions which require quick reflexes lest you'd be one to take a significant huge hit. Granted there is nothing to stop you from progressing, but that does not mean you will unlock everything in one sitting.

As extensively covered in the review, all the superfluous "collecting" challenges were offensively easy as well. Nothing was well hidden and getting gold is as easy as i think it is possible to design a game to be.

I mean, like I also said, it's fine if you like that sort of lack of challenge, but I don't. My review is only going to be how I feel, now how I think others will feel.

sfried

Amir0x said:
As extensively covered in the review, all the superfluous "collecting" challenges were offensively easy as well. Nothing was well hidden and getting gold is as easy as i think it is possible to design a game to be.

I mean, like I also said, it's fine if you like that sort of lack of challenge, but I don't.
I don't see how Frigid Fjords would be considered "lack of challenge".

Just how the hell did you Gold that stage in one run? I won by the fluke of the multiplier.

Amir0x

Banned
I didn't get gold in every level because i got bored before the end due to the extreme lack of challenge in every aspect of the design, so I just ended up finishing the game. I'm not sure if I got the gold in the level you mention there. I'll check and screenshot it for you.

sfried

Amir0x said:
I didn't get gold in every level because i got bored before the end due to the extreme lack of challenge in every aspect of the design, so I just ended up finishing the game.
And here's the contradiction to your statement. As I said, the level was designed with the Gold medals already in mind, while finishing it will obviously be very very simple. The bonus stages you unlock from them also contain more of the meaty levels.

I understand you do not appreciate this design of "not being able to die/lose" as the game was intended to be finished by anyone, but completion is another matter entirely.

Amir0x

Banned
sfried said:
And here's the contradiction to your statement. As I said, the level was designed with the Gold medals already in mind, while finishing it will obviously be very very simple. The bonus stages you unlock from them also contain more of the meaty levels.

I understand you do not appreciate this design of "not being able to die/lose" as the game was intended to be finished by anyone, but completion is another matter entirely.

I was getting gold medals in everything, but eventually the lack of challenge bored me to tears and i decided to just finish the game and get it on with.

I was not going to try to keep digging through every tedious boring level to find the one that had even a modicum of challenge :lol

It's bad enough that "collection" is what defines a challenge here, but since even me playing the game "as intended" was boring me to tears, I did not want to prolong the experience. I gave up on trying to 100% complete the game

If you're going to go Kirby Air Ride on me and say I need to play 98% of the game for that 2% that finally offers a challenge, then I'm sorry, it's not worth the investment, nor does it justify the other 98% being completely boring stuff for me.

Anyway, that's my word. Glad you like the game :D

I am so tired, sleep for real now

KevinCow

Banned
To make it challenging, try getting a gold metal while playing with someone who's not very good at games.

NO DON'T RUN INTO-- oh, well there goes all our beads. :(

sfried

Lard said:
Got it tonight, really digging it.

Kirby.png
That avatar...:lol You sure you're getting sleep?

Just finished the last world......the final boss was a joke. They threw so many beads at me, it's like they were worried I wouldn't enjoy the ending if I didn't get a gold and the extra patch :lol The two extra stages of world 7 were ridiculously easy. Gold first try, 3 treasures first try. I think frigid fjords was designed by some guy they fired, because it's the only remotely challenging stage in the entire game. And that's my main problem with this game.....even pathetically easy games usually have SOME ramp up in difficulty.....but when the final boss and extra stages of world 7 are no harder than world 2, that's bad game design in my book.

The game ran out of steam for me.......it was so cute and charming at first, but the graphics and music can only carry me so far when I find the game itself to be so dull.

I'm missing the first treasure chest on World 6 level 4... is it before the area with the last two chests, or after? You would expect it to be before, since it IS the first chest and all, but I couldn't find it anywhere on the first part of the level.

NVM found it. Turns out the first chest was after the last two for some reason

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So, I'm getting towards the end I reckon. I'm loving the game, even though I feel the lack of difficulty is a mark on it's quality. Yes, its all one big casual easy adventure, and yes it helps that the relaxing audio and visions are accompanied by cruisy gameplay, but its still baffling easy in every way. Getting gold is easy, getting gems is easy, avoiding damage is easy, and finding collectables is easy. I think, even though the game was designed to be easy, it would have been good to have an option to die available for players who want a little bit of an extra challange.

Otherwise I really like it, and the only part that I really dislike is the Kirby train levels. They're not particular fun, as basic as they get, and feel a bit tacked on. All the other powers are great.

zigg

EatChildren said:
Otherwise I really like it, and the only part that I really dislike is the Kirby train levels. They're not particular fun, as basic as they get, and feel a bit tacked on.

They're worse than that—they're flat-out broken.

Someone at some point along the game's development should have had the balls to cut them completely. Replace them with more surfboard action. It's not necessarily a bad idea, but the implementation sucks, hard.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Yeah, the train levels sucked... I guess it was trying to be like Canvas Curse, but it just felt so imprecise. Other than that, the game has some pretty creative and awesome level design, makes me wish you could actually die for real in it.

I also hate the one level in world 5, where you're playing as the car (Frigid Fjords I believe it's called). I've tried about 10 times to get gold... I think I was short 18 gems at my best effort. But damn, this is frustrating.

Getting golds and wrapping up a few more treasures in worlds 6 and 7 and I'm done with the game. Don't think I'm gonna bother with all the apartment complex minigames.

suaveric

What is the trick to getting
Dedede
to give you enough beads to get the next patch? I can take him down without getting hit, but I always end up short, it's not even that close. So what am I missing?

My US copy arrived on Saturday and I started playing this yesterday. Played for a couple of hours today and I'm at the last world
(the real one after the space world)

Have to say that I've been amazed at just how good this is! OK, it has no challenge but, just to state the obvious, it oozes charm. Some fantastic music here too and it just plays really well. Some of my favourite bits have been:

- Dino Land!
- On Splash Beach when you reveal the sun and everything brightens up
- The shmup bit in the Space World

Should have this wrapped up later today and at this point I think it has a place somewhere on my GOTY list, something I never expected I'd be saying.

Well I did indeed just finish it and nothing more to add really, just that the last world seemed a little harder (major emphasis on little :p) than the others. Final boss battle was great too. Loved it! :)

zigg

suaveric said:
Dedede
to give you enough beads to get the next patch? I can take him down without getting hit, but I always end up short, it's not even that close. So what am I missing?

Are you
rolling up his shockwaves and tossing them back?

Lard

Banned
Blizzard said:
Oh, I forgot to mention that for the most part, the controls worked really well for Kirby. They work so well and so easy for the different moves that it helps make things even easier since some (most?) enemies don't attack you. The only really awkward controls were the tilty motion controls to aim the nukemissilebombcannon.

Agreed. The only thing that was throwing me off was I kept thinking there was a double jump, and I kept turning into a parachute by accident.

KevinCow

Banned
suaveric said:
Dedede

Ahaha, I had the exact opposite issue. I spent the first five minutes of the fight just throwing his stuff back at him. I didn't figure out how to actually damage him until he stopped giving me beads.

In fact, I kinda did that with every boss. I didn't have to redo a single one to get the patch.

100%. Some of the mini-games towards the end were challenging. Overall, I really enjoyed this one. The gameplay mechanics could've supported more challenging level design, certainly, but they didn't skimp on creative design even though it was easy.

Salsa

So i played this game high for the first time today when a friend came home and we were just at the water/dolphin levels. Awesome.

pulga

Banned
Lard said:
Oh I'm fine. :D

It's pretty epic though, isn't it? :D

(You should have seen my old one!)

Holy shit, it's Kirby transformed into Arseface :lol (Preacher comics). Now I'm in the mood to re-read those.

eXistor

Well I'm officially in love with this game. Everything is just so darn pleasant. The whole yarn concept pays off in spades, it feels just like it should and really adds something to the game. Of course the game is easy as piss, but was anyone really expecting anything differently? This game makes you feel relaxed, maybe, for once, I don't want to be assaulted by enemies that murder and rape you where you stand. I'm certainly not saying I like easy games, I'm saying that it fits and completely works in this case.

The controls are perfect as well. I don't think I'm the only one that instantly got a Castlevania vibe when swinging your yarn-whip around. How I wish a new 2D Castlevania would come around with a decent whip mechanic. I feel it totally works here, so why not for Castlevania?

Anyway that's neither here nor there. Kirby's Epic Yarn is what it's about and boy, do I love it. There's light exploration, lots of different scenery, so much inventiveness all-around really. Every level (so far anyway) tosses a new temporary gameplay mechanic your way, never being intrusive or frustrating, just fun and relaxing.

So how do I get the asshole tenants to show up at my apartment to give me their fabric? (Two of them showed up already but I'm still missing the other 3.) It's the only thing I need for 100%

EDIT - NVM, read Gamefaqs and saw that you had to complete a level to get them to show up. Got 100% now. Is there no reward for getting 100% at all?

BlueMagic

You know the round looking collectibles that you find in levels? (with a little image of a piece of cake I believe). Yeah, what the fuck are those things?

BlueMagic said:
You know the round looking collectibles that you find in levels? (with a little image of a piece of cake I believe). Yeah, what the fuck are those things?
They determine how many beads you can get as a bonus when you ring the bell at the end of the stage.

bridegur

I'm in the final set of levels, I believe. What an amazing, fun, fun, fun game. Excellent, inventive level design to boot.

I just noticed, but did anyone else see that HAL slightly changed their logo?

I just ripped the logo from Epic Yarn's manual, and I got the one from Brawl's (which also seems to be the same seen on the back of Picross 3D):

New:

2w2eolk.png

Old:

t98ayx.png

They changed the bit on the hay at the right side, and just removed the name altogether. The washed out look might be the way they put it on the manual or something I don't know.

Clipper

nincompoop said:
I rang all the bells in quilty square and patch plaza, but nothing happened?
Being able to play tunes on the bells is your reward.

I was also slightly disappointed that there wasn't even a bonus cinematic or a Wii Message Board photo, but just getting to 100% was satisfying enough.

upandaway

Finally got it in delivery a couple days ago. Played the entire thing with a friend and we're now working on 100% (we basically just rushed in about 4 hours to get a feel for things, but we knew we'd try to 100% it anyway).

It's easy as hell but fun. I don't think it would've been that fun if I was alone though. If you're playing it alone and you're not having fun - get another person!

Anyway here's the incredible thing about though and why it's worth the money for me: My 9-year old sister can play this game. It's been hell for me to keep her quiet with games like Mario where she can at most beat the first 2 levels, then give up. Even with other Kirbys, she doesn't get the swallowing mechanic and she hates flying.

The game's actually the perfect difficulty for her. She's quiet. It's so nice.

Top Bottom