• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby's Epic Yarn |OT| The Grass Feels Like...Pants

KennyLinder said:
UK Gaf.

Play.com just emailed me saying it's been delayed until 25th March!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: (if true, retailers are not always right but a lot of times its an indication)

YagizY

Emonga said:
*facepalm*

The challenge IS to get 100%. You don't get to say it isn't challenging when you just skip the part that actually makes it challenging.

I must come from a rare breed that believes that in a 2d platformer, first and foremost the challenge should lie in the levels. Not in collecting coins, beads, stars, etc. That's what made all the NES and SNES Mario games that great. Collecting coins didn't matter so much as your platforming skills.

I really like the art style of this game but unfortunately I will not get it until it becomes real cheap due to the lack of any difficulty reported. I know the first couple levels should be easy and I'm not looking for an insanely challenging platformer like Super Meat Boy but I do want to be challenged by the levels every once in a while. Challenges suck when they become collectathons.

Oli

bryehn said:
How do I get gold on the first boss?

On the bosses, you just have to stall. Just keep chucking stuff at them until they stop producing beads. Once they're dry, you can start doing damage.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
For the first boss, you don't have to stall at all, just toss a meteor back at him both times he starting flining them, and does get hit, that will be enough Beeds to not only get Gold, but to get the patch to unlock anther level in Grass Land.

My god, I just got the game. Really pretty, and nice music so far. It's easy, but fun.

I need a gif when Kirby does Jumping Rope idle animation!

sfried

YagizY said:
I really like the art style of this game but unfortunately I will not get it until it becomes real cheap due to the lack of any difficulty reported. I know the first couple levels should be easy and I'm not looking for an insanely challenging platformer like Super Meat Boy but I do want to be challenged by the levels every once in a while. Challenges suck when they become collectathons.
Technically the challenge isn't really a collectathon. It's more of a shmup: The less you get hit, the better.

There's nothing satisfying than getting Gold on all stages and then unlocking the special bonus stage in the area. Speaking of which...

zigg said:
But I almost sort of feel like I don't want to rank this with other Kirbies, because it's got a completely different feel that succeeds on its own. Even Canvas Curse still felt Kirby-ish in the end; but I can definitely see where this game was its own thing before Kirby came along.
This is a tough one because, for one, I agree with you! This game is really solid. People coming expecting a challenge by simply breezing through the levels will be disappointed, but people who actually try to find all three items (it's no different from 8 red coins and the 5 flowers from Yoshi's Island, really) will find where the real depth of the game is. And yes as YagizY prooves, not everyone will be satisfied, mainly because GAF has come to hype this up and everyone will merely see this is nothing more than a superficial kiddy game, which, in reality, all Kirby games sorta pose to be (at first). But if they took the time to not get hit, they will see the cleaverness in the level design (no collision damage suddenly becomes "reasonable"!), as there is a cdertain flow that this game captures that has been missing since Kirby's Adventure.

I like it simply because how off-beat it is from the traditional "suck up and absorb powers" formula which didn't debut until Adventure. For the longest time people where looking for the second coming of Super Star (which manifested itself already), and expected the next installment to be more but bigger/better (the canceled GC/Wii Kirby game?).

Overall, I guess it's really close to Kirby's Adventure.

Koren

sfried said:
This is a tough one because, for one, I agree with you! This game is really solid. People coming expecting a challenge by simply breezing through the levels will be disappointed, but people who actually try to find all three items (it's no different from 8 red coins and the 5 flowers from Yoshi's Island, really) will find where the real depth of the game is. And yes as YagizY prooves, not everyone will be satisfied, mainly because GAF has come to hype this up and everyone will merely see this is nothing more than a superficial kiddy game, which, in reality, all Kirby games sorta pose to be (at first). But if they took the time to not get hit, they will see the cleaverness in the level design (no collision damage suddenly becomes "reasonable"!), as there is a cdertain flow that this game captures that has been missing since Kirby's Adventure.
Interesting... This give me some Yoshi's Story vibes. Yes, the game was insanely short and easy at first. But there was challenges in getting 30 melons, finding secrets (black/white yoshi), etc. And this way the game changes quite drastically.

Have to say, I'm on the last world, and there's still no challenge to speak of. Aside from a couple auto scrolling stages, the game throws so many beads at you that Gold medals are easy on your first try. Finding all three treasures is also likely on your first try in a stage, as they are not very well hidden. This is not the game to go to for a challenge of any sort......you have to be content with soaking in the visuals, the great music, the "charm" (GAF should have a drinking game for every time that word's used).:D

NoE, suck my dick. March, really???? Does this need epic translation skills or what? Strategic release? In March?

Whatever, just don't do this for Donkey Kong please.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
StevePharma said:

I'm pretty sure DK is locked in for a December release, but, you know PAL and all...

Anywho, my import from the states arrived and I'm really loving the game. I like that while it's a platformer, it's more focused on scores and medals and not intricate jumps and lives. I quite like that you cant die. It's clearly aimed for the younger crowd and people not very good at games, but it's a really relaxing game to play.

Well worth the import.

Myriadis

Koren said:
Interesting... This give me some Yoshi's Story vibes. Yes, the game was insanely short and easy at first. But there was challenges in getting 30 melons, finding secrets (black/white yoshi), etc. And this way the game changes quite drastically.

Oh man,that reminds me that I still have to get all 30 melons on world 4-4.Trying to get them in each level is really harder.

StevePharma said:
NoE, suck my dick. March, really???? Does this need epic translation skills or what? Strategic release? In March?
The rerelease of Super Mario All-Stars is the culprit. They don't want to release three 2D platformers at the same time, so they pushed Kirby to March so that there are only two left (Mario All-Stars and DKCR).

Doorman

Ok...Frigid Fjords. What the hell am I doing wrong? I cannot gold medal this level to save my life.

I feel like there's some sort of special route that I'm missing that would somehow make this incredibly easy, but I've done the level enough times now that I kind of doubt that. It doesn't help that I'm rushing to finish first and the goddamn Waddle Dees go just slowly enough to provide a huge nuisance. Every other level feels like getting the gold is at least fairly easily manageable after an attempt or two, but this one has thwarted me way longer than it should have.

As I said, the game has no challenge for golds except a couple auto scrolling levels.....I think frigid fjords is one of the ones that took me a few times to gold. You basically have to memorize an exact path through the level to maximize beads.....and one part in particuar you may have missed is right after the cave, there is a boost and three jutting rock platforms...when you hit the boost, DON'T jump.....run into the rock platforms and you'll trigger a crapload of big orange beads........keep at it, it's just a matter of finding the line to take and executing perfectly....oh, and jump on waddle dees to get a bead too.

Doorman

I did manage to finally snag the gold...but only thanks to hitting the 500-bead bonus panel at the end of the level, so it feels like kind of an empty victory. :p

Like I said, I know most of the paths for it (as well as that line of orange beads), the problem with that was with the timing of the line I took through the level, I could never just collect all of those because one of the Waddle Dees was always right there for me to ram into if I don't avoid him. There are several points where that seems to happen.

Anyway, with that done, just a few more treasures and gold medals to nab, as well as the rest of the apartment tenant challenges. I'm going to feel a little sad about totally clearing this game in only a week, but it's done a great job of keeping me sane and entertained while my internet service was down. Thanks, Kirby. :D

The game is easy, but it isnt THAAAAT easy. Ive fallen into a few pits.

Also, the team needs to start work on Yoshis Story 2, which will be the cutest game ever made.

sfried

jamesinclair said:
Also, the team needs to start work on Yoshis Story 2, which will be the cutest game ever made.
Oh God, THIS. Good-Feel is the perfect team to tackle the next installment given the level design they've serviced so far in Epic Yarn. Fossil Reefs + Dolphin = WIN.

Nabs

While that would be a great fit, I'd much rather have a real Yoshi's Island by Miyamoto and his crew.

sfried

Nabs said:
While that would be a great fit, I'd much rather have a real Yoshi's Island by Miyamoto and his crew.
It seems Miyamoto doesn't feel like making another Yoshi's Island, though, given the rush of Mario games he's developed. I would rather he and his team focus on that new character IP, while newer development teams take up the mantle. Epic Yarn works because it's a fresh take on the series, even though it technically wasn't a Kirby game to begin with. But this is exactly what we need (as opposed to Other M, which was made by the same team, but didn't feel as Metroid as other games in the franchise).

Similarly, I await Retro's results with this new DKC game. It's quite obvious they did a lot of franchise distilling.

tl;dr - Newer teams are better with old IPs, because of newer concepts and nostalgia goggles from fresh blood.

It looks like Good-Feel might become Nintendo's platform game developer. They did excellently with capturing Wario and Kirby's universes, I'd love to see what they can do with other properties.

Finally up to the last World. Man, so much love went into this game. The little animations after you lay down a level patch are like their own reward. All the transformations diversify the style. I can't believe I'm still seeing new ones into the sixth World. The apartment tenants add some new ways to appreciate the level design. I particularly enjoy racing Mara since that's how I play through a lot of conventional Kirby stages anyway.

The challenge isn't even average, but I've had to restart a few times to get the Gold Medals or to find a treasure. It's a leisurely stroll and I wouldn't want every game to be this easy, but I'm loving it.

The shmup hidden level and the Metaknight battle were very well done.

Freezie KO said:
I particularly enjoy racing Mara since that's how I play through a lot of conventional Kirby stages anyway.
That's my favorite part of the game too. Are there any more games that are like this? Sort of a racing/platformer hybrid. I really enjoy that.

plufim

sfried said:
It seems Miyamoto doesn't feel like making another Yoshi's Island, though, given the rush of Mario games he's developed. I would rather he and his team focus on that new character IP, while newer development teams take up the mantle. Epic Yarn works because it's a fresh take on the series, even though it technically wasn't a Kirby game to begin with. But this is exactly what we need (as opposed to Other M, which was made by the same team, but didn't feel as Metroid as other games in the franchise).

Similarly, I await Retro's results with this new DKC game. It's quite obvious they did a lot of franchise distilling.

tl;dr - Newer teams are better with old IPs, because of newer concepts and nostalgia goggles from fresh blood.
Well, it doesn't always work out for the best. Yoshi's Island DS wasn't exactly great, and the Starfox IP has not done well at all.

plufim said:
Well, it doesn't always work out for the best. Yoshi's Island DS wasn't exactly great, and the Starfox IP has not done well at all.
WRONG

Also, while the recent Star Fox games have flopped I'm pretty sure that Star Fox Adventures sold really well. Maybe Nintendo should just forget about SF as a rail shooter and buy Rare back from MS to develop SFA2!

Amir0x

Banned
Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
Have to say, I'm on the last world, and there's still no challenge to speak of. Aside from a couple auto scrolling stages, the game throws so many beads at you that Gold medals are easy on your first try. Finding all three treasures is also likely on your first try in a stage, as they are not very well hidden. This is not the game to go to for a challenge of any sort......you have to be content with soaking in the visuals, the great music, the "charm" (GAF should have a drinking game for every time that word's used).:D

yeah :(

I think i'm done with this game. i hope some other game uses this style but includes good gameplay with a challenge. Next time *shrug*. Time to trade-in.

-PXG-

StevePharma said:

*Emails NOE, suggesting they delay DKCR to Summer 2011*

Seda

I just bought this from Amazon since they were offering $10 credit and I had $30 of credit saved. Will get on Tuesday!

I am interested in both this and Metroid but don't feel compelled to buy either one. Maybe someday when there's a sale or when I don't have anything else to play...

ToyMachine228 said:
I am interested in both this and Metroid but don't feel compelled to buy either one. Maybe someday when there's a sale or when I don't have anything else to play...

Based on how game releases are, it might be hard for there to be many breaks in new games. Not to mention that Nintendo is more likely to stop production of a game than let it drop below $30.

Boney

Banned
nincompoop said:
WRONG

Also, while the recent Star Fox games have flopped I'm pretty sure that Star Fox Adventures sold really well. Maybe Nintendo should just forget about SF as a rail shooter and buy Rare back from MS to develop SFA2!
yoshi island ds being good and having no more on rails star fox?

you are the biggest troll of all mister.

Boney said:
yoshi island ds being good and having no more on rails star fox?

you are the biggest troll of all mister.
I don't see how YI DS on itself is a bad game. Not that it is be-all end-all proof, but the gamerankings/metacritic ranking for the game is 80/81. By no account a bad game... People just can't seem to judge a game on itself without comparing it to other games, in this case the original Yoshi's Island.

I wont defend this game too much, but isn't the whole point of the Kirby franchise to be an easier Mario? What were people expecting?

civilstrife said:
I wont defend this game too much, but isn't the whole point of the Kirby franchise to be an easier Mario? What were people expecting?
I was expecting it to be like Wario Land Shake, where the main game is easy and the difficulty comes from the game's extra content. But in KEY, you almost have to purposely get hit or avoid collecting beads to not get gold on a stage, the "hidden" treasure chests are barely even hidden, and the extra hotel tenant missions are a boring waste of time. It's still an enjoyable game, but it failed exactly where Wario Land Shake succeeds, in providing a legitimately challenging experience for experienced gamers while still being accessible for children and new gamers.

Doorman

Difficulty is not this game's strong suit, no. One thing I'd say it does do quite well (and this is something that Good-Feel did a decent job on in Wario Land as well) is the way that nearly every level has some sort of focus around a different platforming style or mechanic, even well into the final world. I do, however, wish that they'd actually taken the whole craftworks-into-platforming even farther and included a few more features. Stuff like the pullstrings to bring platforms closer and unzipping towers are awesome but it doesn't feel like there are many variations on that. Why not a level where you lasso a pencil and use it to draw yourself some new platforms, or some more uses for the "thread-unwinding" mechanic a la Capamari, or using scissors to cut up and unravel larger roadblocks? The concept is wonderful but it feels to an extent that they kind of gave up on it after a few neat ideas and just relegated the yarn to art-style only.

I still find it to be a very enjoyable game and I can totally see myself popping it in later to just relax and cruise through a few levels. Nothing wrong with having a low-stress game experience every now and again.

Amir0x

Banned
civilstrife said:

Imo, every other Kirby game was harder than this one. There is "easy" and then there's "zero challenge."

Kirby: Epic Yarn has zero challenge anywhere at anytime. Its appeal seems to be solely from the charming and unique aesthetic it has, since the level design is unfun and provides no compelling obstacles to your advancement (but it's not bland, at least) and the enemies are about as easily avoidable as a turtle running at you at 0.2mph. It took me until world four to even get hit ONCE. Even collecting everything for Gold is just almost offensively easy.

I think certainly I can understand that people still like it (those that don't require a challenge of any kind to have "fun", and just want to 'relax' or something... although I found the lack of challenge more infuriating then relaxing), but it's just not for me. I certainly was shocked by the level of simplicity on display here.

I know people like to troll certain Nintendo games by saying it's for kids, but this is the first time I literally felt like one of their game feels like it's for babies. Kirby: Epic Yarn FEELS like it's for babies, and the only time it doesn't is when you've got a friend with you who is potentially the only thing that can do anything to impede your progress :lol

Nemesis556 said:
Just how long is this game roughly? I'm playing through it very soon, but just wanna get an idea.

6 hours with most things collected

Blizzard

Banned
I got hit so many times in the first 2-3 levels. Maybe 5-10 times! I first tested and the spearguys didn't seem to attack so that's not dangerous. But then later, I think I landed on a spear, and then maybe ran into a spear! I lost millions of beads which I then regained by walking over them.

And then I got hit a bunch by the unfair nukes the birds launch at you! It was a really rough battle since it's so hard to aim the cannon precisely with the tilt controls, until I realized that you could give yourself carpal tunnel by spamming the missile launch button for rapidfire nukes.

The voice acting sounds like it's a book narration for really little kids and some of it is unskippable, however, so if anyone ever heard you playing it, they would probably conclude you're a sick person or something. :p

The art style is cute though. And unlike some games, it actually looks good on my LCDTV. I don't think I've even noticed ugly jaggies or anything.

Big One

Banned
Been playing it lately, on the third world. How exactly do you strike Gold on the first boss? I've only ever been able to collect enough gems to strike Silver everytime.

Big One said:
Been playing it lately, on the third world. How exactly do you strike Gold on the first boss? I've only ever been able to collect enough gems to strike Silver everytime.
Grab one of the fireball things he sends at you and throw it at him.

How come I didn't unlock a bonus level in Snow Land after beating the boss? I have golds on all the levels and all the treasure chests.

Haunted

nincompoop said:
How come I didn't unlock a bonus level in Snow Land after beating the boss? I have golds on all the levels and all the treasure chests.
Pretty sure you need to get a certain amount of beads on the boss himself.

One notch beyond gold to get the extra patch unlocking new levels.

Haunted said:
Pretty sure you need to get a certain amount of beads on the boss himself.

One notch beyond gold to get the extra patch unlocking new levels.
Thanks, I thought getting gold on the boss would be enough.

Emonga said:
That's my favorite part of the game too. Are there any more games that are like this? Sort of a racing/platformer hybrid. I really enjoy that.
Yeah, I pretty much thought of Wario when you said this. As a matter of fact, I think the escape sections of every level are exactly what you may be looking for.

I sold my Wii early this year (sold it because I planned to eventually buy the black console). I usually play my friends' Wii systems but since there are several titles I really want to play coming out (mainly Donkey Kong Country Returns and Kirby's Epic Yarn), I decided to go ahead and pre-order the 25th Anniversary Mario Bros. Wii System.

From what I've read from everyone's input and all the major site's reviews, I'm very hyped for KEY. The lack of difficulty doesn't seem to be a big problem. Every game doesn't need a level of difficulty in order to be great, it's mainly left to the actual game mechanics to make a game fun. I love having a mixture of games in my library that provide little to a decent amount of difficulty. Plus, I love the creativity that was pumped into this title :)

Top Bottom