• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby's Epic Yarn |OT| The Grass Feels Like...Pants

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
What completely blew me away was the detail in the little things.

For instance, on my second playthrough I finally noticed that when you're fighting a boss their yarn gets tattered after a hit or two. I didn't even notice it the first time. I absolutely love this game.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
zigg said:
Playthrough? Did you 100% it already?

I meant on my second playthrough of that boss battle. With the word "playthrough" being associated with completion of the game, I probably should have used another word.

zigg

Plinko said:
I meant on my second playthrough of that boss battle. With the word "playthrough" being associated with completion of the game, I probably should have used another word.
Phew. I was feeling pretty insignificant for a minute there :D

totowhoa

Banned
So this game is a good deal better than Shake It? I was not huge on that game for the same reasons that others were not, which is why I've been leery about Kirby despite the cuteness. ...hm.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
This game.

Is

Awful. Sorry, its just that bad. I might even sell my copy. It is that bad. Not even fun :lol I am bored to tears, especially when I don't care about 100% in games. I just want to play the levels. Die. Retry. Not here though.

Co Op is just as bad.

Sorry but its an absolutely underwhelming game and in no way deserving of 9s or 8s. A sub 5game. Not even the music appeals to me, its too soft :lol

KevinCow

Banned
Relix said:
This game.

Is

Awful. Sorry, its just that bad. I might even sell my copy. It is that bad. Not even fun :lol I am bored to tears, especially when I don't care about 100% in games. I just want to play the levels. Die. Retry. Not here though.

Co Op is just as bad.

Sorry but its an absolutely underwhelming game and in no way deserving of 9s or 8s. A sub 5game. Not even the music appeals to me, its too soft :lol

You're awful. :mad:

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm kind of with Relix on this one. I was high on the game at first, the visual style and the cutesiness got to me as well as denial from spending $50 on it. After getting about halfway through, I've lost the desire to put it back in. It's not just that it's easy, I can deal with easy, but it's so shallow. You go from A to B and collect bees and useless treasures. That's it. It's not a bad game, it's great for babies, but I guess it's just not for me.

It's my fault for being impulsive and picking it up day one, but I do feel some buyers remorse over this one. I'll be sure to finish it, maybe I'll change my mind, but I kinda wish I could get that $50 back.

Snuggler said:
I'm kind of with Relix on this one. I was high on the game at first, the visual style and the cutesiness got to me as well as denial from spending $50 on it. After getting about halfway through, I've lost the desire to put it back in. It's not just that it's easy, I can deal with easy, but it's so shallow. You go from A to B and collect bees and useless treasures. That's it. It's not a bad game, it's great for babies, but I guess it's just not for me.

It's my fault for being impulsive and picking it up day one, but I do feel some buyers remorse over this one. I'll be sure to finish it, maybe I'll change my mind, but I kinda wish I could get that $50 back.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23910587&postcount=552

Relix said:
This game.

Is

Co Op is just as bad.

Hey, you were warned when you were told there was no way to die.

If you can't enjoy the charm in it or try to 100% it, this was not a game to get. Super Meat Boy and Donkey Kong Country Returns will most likely fit your tastes much better.

zigg

Sklorenz said:
So this game is a good deal better than Shake It? I was not huge on that game for the same reasons that others were not, which is why I've been leery about Kirby despite the cuteness. ...hm.
I think so. Shake It seemed okay but quickly grew boring. Kirby just keeps getting better, particularly in co-op.

Plinko

Snuggler said:

I guess I'm not sure what else you were expecting from a Kirby game. They've all been like that (except for Canvas Curse).

Damn this is even easy on Kirby standards :lol

The bet part of the game so far was the intro movie. I swear, I've never gotten high in my life but it really made me consider it :D

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
My import arrived and I'm in love. The simple fact that it isn't stupidly challenging is the whole point - if I wanted to die constantly in levels, I'd play other games. The graphics are beautiful, the little touches throughout are typical Nintendo charm (poor little Waddle Dee's running away and cowering in fear when Kirby is in a UFO :lol), the music already has me humming and whistling around the house. I'm really enjoying it a lot.

More to the point, Nintendo have really impressed the heck out of me this generation in both software and hardware. Much more than I thought was possible. Hopefully their current track record can stay with them for Zelda: Skyward Sword (and perhaps Pikmin 3?).

Tenbatsu

Relix said:
This game.

Is

Co Op is just as bad.

Go play your space marine games.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Tenbatsu said:
Go play your space marine games.

:lol :lol

The game really sucks. I know how the GAF hivemind usually works, which is... Hey... unique style, and CUTE... insta win. I thought it would actually be a good game, but there is no challenge at all for someone not caring about getting 100%. I just want to beat levels, get to the end, have pals for Co Op and have a blast, but me and two friends sat last night to play it Co Op and in 25 minutes we were bored to tears. Its pathetic, and from the bottom of my heart I really want it to BOMB. Sorry, but playing a game with yarn graphics doesn't make you original.

I know reviewers dig it, I know some Gaffers are digging it, but for me it was a huge waste of money. Also, at least space marine games pose a challenge and don't look made for 3 year old kids. Now I know the following replies so save them (You are unsure of yourself bla bla bla). Really, the game is for kids. It's my opinion though, so if you are enjoying it, good for you.

Total. Complete. Utter disappointment. Hopefully Donkey Kong will fill the void.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Opinions are a bit like that.

The game isn't for you, simple. No need to carry on like a Shakespearean theatre actor.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
speedpop said:
Opinions are a bit like that.

The game isn't for you, simple. No need to carry on like a Shakespearean theatre actor.

Yes but I felt the need to rebut a stupid comment.

Anything else?

I forced myself to like it but no go :lol

Drkirby said:
The Music is awesome D:

The orchestrations are AMAZING. They do sound well. But I think they are (some, not all, fire dragon has a nice theme =P) too soft and dream-like. They bore me. At least some more "moved" music would have helped with some of the levels.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Relix said:
This game.

Is

Co Op is just as bad.

The Music is awesome D:

How much did you play? Did you get a chance to finish it, or quit after stage 4?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Drkirby said:
The Music is awesome D:

How much did you play? Did you get a chance to finish it, or quit after stage 4?

About 3 hours in. I think I passed that desert level with the volcano, got to a... cake world? Then stopped after it because I died inside every time I played it =P

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I mean sometimes people have wrong opinions, it can't be helped. It's okay Relix there are support groups for things like this.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Plinko said:
I guess I'm not sure what else you were expecting from a Kirby game. They've all been like that (except for Canvas Curse).

The only other Kirby I've played was the 64 one, which I can't even remember at this point. I was aware of how easy it was, but I acted on impulse and got it day one. Oh well, I'll finish it and maybe I'll feel differently as I go on. As I said before, it certainly isn't a bad game at all, but I started to lose interest pretty fast.

Snuggler said:
The only other Kirby I've played was the 64 one, which I can't even remember at this point. I was aware of how easy it was, but I acted on impulse and got it day one. Oh well, I'll finish it and maybe I'll feel differently as I go on. As I said before, it certainly isn't a bad game at all, but I started to lose interest pretty fast.
This is pretty much standard kirby design in all honesty, except it feels even more easy this go round. If you are interested in trying out a kirby game with a more challenging edge to it, pick up Canvas Curse immediately.

My lord, the visuals and charm are certainly in full effect though. I have no idea why the narrator and story are appealing to me, but I feel like im being brainwashed or something. It's like Teletubbies 2.0 :D

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'll check out Canvas sometime soon, with a touch more challenge this would be an excellent game.
There's like 6 Kirby games on the virtual console. I might get the N64 to play again, since I fuckin love 64 games, but which of these (if any) are must-plays:

Kirby's Adventure
Kirby's Dream Course
Kirby's Avalanche
Kirby's Dream Land 3
Kirby Super Star

Even though my feelings are a little mixed on this game, I'd like to explore the series a bit more

Boney

Banned
practice02 said:
As a multiplayer game NSMBW sucks and without that it's just a 2d mario rehash.
god damn crazy :lol

Snuggly, get SuperStar. Ultra for the DS if you wanna spend the cash, but I guess Snes version should be enough.

I own...

Canvas Curse
Squeak Squad
Super Star Ultra
64 (VC)
Adventure (VC)
Dreamland 3 (VC)

I know I need Nightmare in Dreamland, Amazing Mirror, and Dreamland/Dreamland 2, and Tilt 'n Tumble...

starmud

im just not seeing the huge difference between this and many other kirby games. kirby hasn't been a "normal" platformer for a very long time. its been about visual styling, presentation and simplicity. while some of these ideas haven't been presented as strongly in early kirby vs modern kirby, they've always been there.

not since SNES and game boy have i ever wanted to speed run a kirby game like other platformers.

play difficulty and kirby have always been a rare happening. while i do feel like i want more from this game, its all in the way of features that feel like they weren't taken to fruition (namely the apartments, gem use).

epic yarn evolves and tries a few new ideas for the franchise. there's very few kirby games that do this. for modern kirby, canvas curse comes to mind.

canvas curse used the hardware to evolve the game. i do feel epic yarn lacks a bit here. they could have imported some better ideas to incorporate motion controls in the game. that said, this games evolution comes much more from the story and design itself.

taking the idea of dying out of kirby really is mute. i'm having a hard time understanding why some kirby fans cant give over it. even if you could die in epic yarn... it would add very little to the game.

and i have to say... kirby. is made out of yarn... in a cloth storybook subworld that he was sucked into :lol

what is death in such a context? the game goes out of its way to be void of seriousness. the death sequence in epic yarn is completely fitting of the game.

you as the player know when you screw up or die. just like any game that inserts "zomg 100% must get" completionist values. its not forced upon you, its your choice to accept the challenge or not.

for a fan of the series it gives me everything i wanted. i do wish they would have ran further with the new add ons to the game (you got animal crossing in my kirby @___@).

I pretty sure my opinion isn't shared on this particular subject, but most of the Kirby games run together. I don't really feel like there are some that are MUCH better than others(I don't remember playing squeak squad though). I like all of them equally, with the odd ball of the bunch, Canvas Curse, being far ahead of the rest as far as being enjoyable.

BiggNife

Relix said:

The game really sucks. I know how the GAF hivemind usually works, which is... Hey... unique style, and CUTE... insta win. I thought it would actually be a good game, but there is no challenge at all for someone not caring about getting 100%. I just want to beat levels, get to the end, have pals for Co Op and have a blast, but me and two friends sat last night to play it Co Op and in 25 minutes we were bored to tears. Its pathetic, and from the bottom of my heart I really want it to BOMB. Sorry, but playing a game with yarn graphics doesn't make you original.

I know reviewers dig it, I know some Gaffers are digging it, but for me it was a huge waste of money. Also, at least space marine games pose a challenge and don't look made for 3 year old kids. Now I know the following replies so save them (You are unsure of yourself bla bla bla). Really, the game is for kids. It's my opinion though, so if you are enjoying it, good for you.

Total. Complete. Utter disappointment. Hopefully Donkey Kong will fill the void.
I can understand if a game not having any challenge doesn't work for you, and of course the game is made for kids, but have you ever played a Kirby game before? They're always easy and made for kids!

I find it odd someone can be surprised by that.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
BiggNife said:
I can understand if a game not having any challenge doesn't work for you, and of course the game is made for kids, but have you ever played a Kirby game before? They're always easy and made for kids!

I find it odd someone can be surprised by that.

I loved the older ones...

*walks away with head down*

Snuggler said:
I'll check out Canvas sometime soon, with a touch more challenge this would be an excellent game.
There's like 6 Kirby games on the virtual console. I might get the N64 to play again, since I fuckin love 64 games, but which of these (if any) are must-plays:

Kirby's Adventure
Kirby's Dream Course
Kirby's Avalanche
Kirby's Dream Land 3
Kirby Super Star

Even though my feelings are a little mixed on this game, I'd like to explore the series a bit more

Adventure and Super Star are the best ones in the series by a long shot.

BiggNife

cosmicblizzard said:
Adventure and Super Star are the best ones in the series by a long shot.
While I certainly agree those games are great (especially Super Star-see avatar), I think Dreamland 3 is pretty underrated. It has fantastic graphics for a SNES game, and some of the animal powers are pretty neat.

You can skip the other two. Avalanche is a Puyo Puyo game, and Dream Course is a weird minigolf-esque game. Interesting diversions but they're nothing like the mainline Kirbys.

KevinCow

Banned
If you're not enjoying Epic Yarn because it's too easy, I can't imagine you'd enjoy any of the previous games in the series much. With the exception of a few parts of Superstar like Revenge of Meta-Knight, everything in the series is ridiculously easy. It's just not the series to go to if challenging platforming is what you're looking for.

bh7812

Banned
Snuggler said:

Kirby's Adventure
Kirby's Dream Course
Kirby's Avalanche
Kirby's Dream Land 3
Kirby Super Star

Honestly, you should at least check out, if not play through all of them. I'll keep this as short as possible so it doesn't end up being a long book..I tend to have a habit of that which I apologize for if anyone's ever seen one of those kind of posts from me. I'll just go down the list and briefly explain the specific reasons I think you should check each one out.

Kirby's Adventure-Boy, for one of the last great NES games..that system sure went out with a helluva bang! It's simply one of the best NES games period. Very creative, imaginative fun game with a lot of levels. There's a lot to see, and do. For those whio've never played ANY NES games, if you ever only get to play one game out of that system's library make this one that game. Music is excellent as well and really showed off at least in my opinion the how far the NES's sound capabilities advanced over the system's lifetime. I've still got my original cartridge :D

Kirby's Dream Course-of all the Kirby games this is probably the weirdest one. It's certainly an interesting take on mini-golf that's for sure. It's mini golf with a few twists..Kirby's the ball and you need to use copy abilities to get past obstacles to get to the hole. Getting a hole in 1 on each hole is a frickin challenge. I've not managed it myself. BUT I'll say this much..if you don't ever experience the game itself, you owe it to yourself to check out the soundtrack to it! Of all the Kirby games the soundtrack in this one is one of the most underrated :( I loved it and thought the music was excellent. Especially the title screen theme! The music is just superb imo.

Kirby's Avalanche-I haven't really played this one myself honestly but it's a puzzle game-I believe it was actually a Puyo Puyo game brought to the US and Europe and they stuck Kirby and company in it for the Western audience. If ya like puzzlers ala Tetris or Puyo Puyo it's probably worth looking at.

Kirby's Dream Land 3-I agree with the poster above that said it's one of the most underrated games of the whole series. Like Kirby's Adventure on the NES, this was one of the last good Super NES/Super Famicom games released. It's a fun game with colorful graphics and shouldn't take long to finish. When it originally came out I rented and finished it in a weekend.

Kirby Super Star-Probably the most unique and one of the best of all the Kirby games. Every one of the 4 or so games contained in it could very well have been full blown separate Kirby games if they'd developed them more. I wish they'd do another Kirby like this-taking several smaller games and putting them together like they did here. I also wish they'd kept the Japanese name for the Western release-Kirby's Fun Pak, because it's a bit more fitting and says exactly what it is :D Some very good music here too.

So overall, they're all at least worth checking out..the ones I'd try to play completely through are Adventure, Dream Land 3, and Super Star. Hope that helps a little :D

KevinCow said:
If you're not enjoying Epic Yarn because it's too easy, I can't imagine you'd enjoy any of the previous games in the series much. With the exception of a few parts of Superstar like Revenge of Meta-Knight, everything in the series is ridiculously easy. It's just not the series to go to if challenging platforming is what you're looking for.

Maybe I suck, but Kirby Boss Rush is pretty difficult for me. Only game's I've beaten it in are Squeak Squad and Superstar Ultra (both). Probably it's because in most Kirby games it's just an extra mode, so I never put much effort into it. In Superstar, it counts towards your percentage so I felt the need to beat them (there were two Boss Rush modes in SSU, right? My memory sucks)

sfried

So where does this game stack up in the list of Kirby games? I would probably put it close to...Canvas Curse? Above it? May not please people enough to be "Super Star (Ultra) tier", but it's the best Kirby released as of yet. Of course, diehards will brush it off because of the lack of suck-up powers, but I'd be damned if the tranformations and level design doesn't share a lot in common with Yoshi's Island.

GeekyDad

Snuggler said:
It's not a bad game, it's great for babies, but I guess it's just not for me.

I think there's actually a lot of truth to your comment. I don't feel the same way you do, but I think a lot of folks were under a false assumption about what this game would be. They obviously hadn't played many Kirby games in the past. This one, though, even takes that "childlike" thing to new levels of sweetness, and the mechanics are insanely accessible.

All that being said, I'm absolutely head over heels in love with the game. The controls are amazing -- simple, precise, fun. The look and imaginative nature of the game are ridiculous. I do disagree with the poster who claims the game is shallow. Sure, it's easy, and yeah, I think the gameplay could skew pretty young, but there are so many wonderfully clever elements under the hood here.

I wouldn't at all try to sell this game to anyone; it's simply not for everyone -- end of story. And it's not one of those games I feel I need to defend. I'm almost shocked that so many reviewers like it, since the presentation reminds me of stuff my kids used to watch on Noggin. But it is very much still an incredible game, one that has had tons of love and attention given to it. On this occasion, I think anyone who is disappointed with it has only themselves to blame. All of its components were obvious from the start. The gaming sites might have confused some folks, but Kirby fans knew what they were getting.

Awesome game!

zigg

sfried said:
So where does this game stack up in the list of Kirby games? I would probably put it close to...Canvas Curse? Above it? May not please people enough to be "Super Star (Ultra) tier", but it's the best Kirby released as of yet. Of course, diehards will brush it off because of the lack of suck-up powers, but I'd be damned if the tranformations and level design doesn't share a lot in common with Yoshi's Island.

Nothing beats Canvas Curse. (Except possibly Kirby Next DS. Need to find out what that game's about!)

But I almost sort of feel like I don't want to rank this with other Kirbies, because it's got a completely different feel that succeeds on its own. Even Canvas Curse still felt Kirby-ish in the end; but I can definitely see where this game was its own thing before Kirby came along.

ZAK

If you don't care about completion, then I could see how this game could be a chore, even compared to other Kirby games. For me, the usual array of powers gave the games a bit of a "beat 'em up" flavor, where a lot of the fun came from all the different ways you could kill your way through any part of the game. Now that there are no powers, what's left is collection (and there's also more platforming now, since you can't fly; but from what I hear, ehh?), so if you're not into that, there's not much left for you.

Good thing I love collectathons.

Relix said:

The game really sucks. I know how the GAF hivemind usually works, which is... Hey... unique style, and CUTE... insta win. I thought it would actually be a good game, but there is no challenge at all for someone not caring about getting 100%.

*facepalm*

The challenge IS to get 100%. You don't get to say it isn't challenging when you just skip the part that actually makes it challenging.

Top Bottom