• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KOF 2003 PS2 Initial Impressions

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I'll most likely be doing some editing and turning this into a full review; I want to take some screen captures, but my web space is still maxed out from last month and won't let me upload anything new right now. :\ I'll use some really blurry pics from The Magic Box for now.

kof_2003.jpg

SNK Playmore's KOF home console ports have been getting better and better with each new release. KOF 2003 is easily the best port of a KOF game to date; the visual and audio changes make it almost feel like a brand new game.

kof03d.jpg
kof03c.jpg
kof03b.jpg

This time around, rather than just having 3D versions of the Neo-Geo version's 2D backgrounds, 2003 expands the settings and creates new 3D stages set in same areas, at different times during the day. Some of the stage variations are quite different from each other, and combined with the original 2D versions, you get at least five different versions of each stage to play on. Quality varies on the 3D backgrounds, but overall, it looks very good.

Another new option that has been added is a "soft" graphics mode, which adds a slight blur to the sprites, making the edges around less jagged. The blur/transparancy effects on special moves returns, and looks great as usual, but for some reason doesn't seem to be present on all moves this time around.

KOF 2003 is still without a doubt the best-looking KOF game to date, even beating out KOF Neowave, which while having sharper colors and sprites that look better against its high-res 2D backgrounds, still doesn't look as impressive as this title now does.

kof03i.jpg
kof03m.jpg
kof03o.jpg

For the first time since SNK Playmore was formed, KOF gets an arranged soundtrack, which for the most part sounds fantastic. Kusanagi's BGM remix of the old Kyo Esaka theme is my favorite.

And finally, you can also choose to play in the classic KOF 3-on-3 mode in addition to single player and the main arcade tag mode, which lets you tag in and out of matches
(when the tag meter is full) similar to Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, and is far better than the striker-based gameplay of KOF '99-2001. A gallery mode (including concept art and game cutscenes) and two survival modes have also been added.

The game's roster has also gotten some major changes, dropping certain key characters and adding in new some brand new faces, as well as bringing back older characters, and adding in Gato and The Griphon Mask from Garou: Mark Of The Wolves. Terry Bogard has been redrawn and now plays in the Garou style as well. Robert and Yuri have been redrawn, as have returning characters Billy Kane and Yamazaki. New characters include a brand new hero team, led by Guile-clone Ash Crimson, Karin's sister Malin, and new bosses Adel (sort of like a younger version of Rugal) and Mukai. All five boss characters (Adel, Mukai, Kusanagi, Chizuru, and Maki) are now fully playable as well. And Finally, Benimaru, Athena, and Kyo have new outfits.

The changed roster and new game play are different enough from KOF 2002 to make both games well worth playing; 2D fighting fans will have a lot to look forward to when the KOF 2002/2003 pack releases for the PS2 on Novemeber 16th in the U.S.

Lyte Edge

Blackcherry said:
Danm, one more reason for me to buy a PS2 but how much is the game?? 49.99 US???

The U.S. version will contain both KOF 2002 and KOF 2003, and should retail for $39.99. :) Expect Mai to be censored as usual, and blood missing.

Both KOF 2002 and 2003 will also be coming out for Xbox with ONLINE PLAY, BTW. The same two pack will also be hitting the Xbox in the U.S. sometime next year, but it's hard to say when, since 2002 hasn't even been released in Japan yet.

Lyte Edge said:
The U.S. version will contain both KOF 2002 and KOF 2003, and should retail for $39.99. :) Expect Mai to be censored as usual, and blood missing.

Supposedly, Ben Herman said the PS2 version will not be censored (but he says a lot of things that doesn't come to fruition). Thanks for the Preview Lyte Edge!

11/17/2004
prod_nav_kofcombo.jpg

$39.99

Truly:
snkm.gif

Lyte Edge

Playmore actually left SvC Chaos for the Xbox alone; it's got the full blood n' bounce in the U.S. version, so I thought that the censorship was finally over...

....And then they censored the music in KOF Maximum Impact for the PS2. :p

The reason I expect KOF 2003 to be censored, however, is because from what I've seen, there is no uncensored English version this time around. Even with a mod chip enabled, Mai is still censored in English mode in the Neo-Geo version.

Lyte Edge said:
Playmore actually left SvC Chaos for the Xbox alone; it's got the full blood n' bounce in the U.S. version, so I thought that the censorship was finally over...

....And then they censored the music in KOF Maximum Impact for the PS2. :p

The reason I expect KOF 2003 to be censored, however, is because from what I've seen, there is no uncensored English version this time around. Even with a mod chip enabled, Mai is still censored in English mode in the Neo-Geo version.

Lyte Edge, didn't the lyrics in some of the music in KoF: MI contained the "N" word? If so then I could understand the reasoning behind the censorship. However, why censor something as trivial as blood.

WarPig

SVC Chaos, interestingly enough, had the cuts removed at the VERY last minute in development. We were given review copies marked "FINAL RETAIL CODE" just a few weeks before the ship date that still had the bounce animations turned off in the English-language version.

DFS.

Lyte Edge

Riskbreaker said:
Lyte Edge, didn't the lyrics in some of the music in KoF: MI contained the "N" word? If so then I could understand the reasoning behind the censorship. However, why censor something as trivial as blood.

Yeah, the song the in the parking garage stage did make some use of the N-Bomb. This has happened before; Capcom Vs. SNK 1 also had a stage with that lyric, and Capcom simply removed all the lyrics from the stage song. In KOF MI, they removed the song completely from the game.

Lyte Edge

Just Mukai and Adel, and all you have to do to get them playable is beat them once in arcade mode, then go to Kyo or Iori and hold L1.

Definitely a lot easier/faster compared to unlocking the five bonus characters in KOF 2002. :)

Top Bottom