• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KOF: Maximum Impact Pre-Order Bonus -- I'm screwed

mosaic

go eat paint
Everyone I trust is telling me that KOF: Maximum Impact is garbage....

So I pop onto EBGames today and see this:

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/242013.asp

242013x.jpg

I've wanted a Terry Bogard hat for 10+ years. It looks like I'm going to be spending $50 for a hat (unless I can beg one outta SNK, but that'd be pretty lame).

Why can't they give this away with KOF 2002/2003 instead??????

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
oh man. you shouldn't have mentioned it. now i'm buying a $50 hat as well. screw you playmore. although i suppose the fun of wearing a ridiculous hat and confusing my friends with heavily-accented shouts of BASTA WOOF will make up for all the fun i won't have with a stupid 3d version of stupid kof.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
mosaic said:
I've wanted a Terry Bogard hat for 10+ years. It looks like I'm going to be spending $50 for a hat (unless I can beg one outta SNK, but that'd be pretty lame).

Why can't they give this away with KOF 2002/2003 instead??????

I feel your pain. I have a few avenues with SNK worth treading.

*puts on begging head*

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Um, KOFMI isn't that bad. I’ve played it a few times, both in London, once at the preview day and once at GSL, two weeks ago. It’s not KOF and it’s not VF, but it’s better than, say, Capcom’s 3D titles.

If you are into juggling/wall juggling and extreme, seemingly endless combos, all with a flavour of KOF, it’s amazing. Just KOF in light mode and rendered in 3D.

As with anything, two player can be averagely rewarding.

:)

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Can one of you film yourselves tossing the tap off to side and yelling OK!

Thanx.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Yep, fun game, and I was even able to get my KOF-hating friends to enjoy it.

What new fighting games DON'T get hate these days? :p

mosaic

go eat paint
I've been known to throw my cap into the air and shout "OK!!" on occassion... It's spooky how I can mimic Terry's voice comments.... I seem to be able to put the right mix of bravado and sorta-Brit accent into it...

But it's not something you should do in front of your live-in girlfriend too often. And certainly not in public.

Although I also do a mean "Livewire... GO BANG!", which I tend to say in the soda aisle.... and sometimes if I say "man, I like Livewire," she'll say, "It goes bang."

Heh.

i suppose the fun of wearing a ridiculous hat and confusing my friends with heavily-accented shouts of BASTA WOOF will make up for all the fun i won't have with a stupid 3d version of stupid kof.

Haha, this was almost my exact response. "Won't my coworkers be boggled when I burst in through their office door wearing that swank cap and screaming 'AH YOU OH-KAY!!! BASTA WOOF!' -- shame about the game, though."

Edit: Anyone know if Wavelflack still posts to OA? I'd die to see a picture of him sporting this cap. Bonus points if he does the Power Kaiser/Geyser pose. Whenever me and MAF would play KoF I'd go "I'm picking Wavelflack!" and choose Terry, and then we'd get all giddy laughing like drunken schoolgirls. Yeah, I'm lame like that. :(

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
mosaic said:
I've been known to throw my cap into the air and shout "OK!!" on occassion... It's spooky how I can mimic Terry's voice comments.... I seem to be able to put the right mix of bravado and sorta-Brit accent into it...

But it's not something you should do in front of your live-in girlfriend too often. And certainly not in public.

Although I also do a mean "Livewire... GO BANG!", which I tend to say in the soda aisle.... and sometimes if I say "man, I like Livewire," she'll say, "It goes bang."

Heh.

DON't let's enter the "videogame quotes we use in everyday life" swamp of shame. You have to remember, this stuff will be around forever. Like, our children might read it, the board at the golf club...

I have a stream of videogamesourced shit running through my head the whole time, though these days, I manage to filter most of it before it comes out of my mouth.

belgurdo

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
What new fighting games DON'T get hate these days? :p

Fighting game fans died off a long time ago. Now all you have are tourney/tier whores and people who won't even regard the series unless it has Tekken/Soul Calibur/a picture of Link on the box

Lyte Edge

belgurdo said:
Fighting game fans died off a long time ago. Now all you have are tourney/tier whores and people who won't even regard the series unless it has Tekken/Soul Calibur/a picture of Link on the box

I love you man. :)

Look at the hate the game is getting in this thread from PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T EVEN PLAYED THE GAME YET.

Maybe these games just need some years to sink in. I can remember when SF3 didn't get that much love, and now it's "teh bestest unbeatable 2D fightar EVAR" and all that.

mosaic

go eat paint
Hey, yeah, Gamestop has the hat too. Hmm, I wonder if it'll be a bonus that you get with the game or that you have to send a post card in for (like the cards from KOF 2000/2001).

BTW, this is the first time I've ever heard anyone say "im glad i work at gamestop" -- you must be part time or a former school teacher. :)

NotMSRP

Unconfirmed but we're supposely getting the limited edition version. The same stuff found in the Japanese limited edition version.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
mosaic said:
Hey, yeah, Gamestop has the hat too. Hmm, I wonder if it'll be a bonus that you get with the game or that you have to send a post card in for (like the cards from KOF 2000/2001).

BTW, this is the first time I've ever heard anyone say "im glad i work at gamestop" -- you must be part time or a former school teacher. :)

only 9 hours a week!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
KoF: MI garbage? Read this review:

http://www.neogeoforlife.com/nonneoreviews/ps2/the_king_of_fighters_maximum_impact_ps2.shtml

It's inevitable that a 3D KoF game is going to get hate no matter how good it is. Especially from 2D fighting fans who, to be honest, can be some of the narrow-minded snobs on Earth. However, in addition to that review, people at the snk-capcom.com forums - some major NeoGeo fans mind you - generally think it's a great game. In point of fact, one of the main things that keep it from being a superior KoF game is merely some balance issues, which are not even that bad. So far, the game isn't very "broken".

If SNKUSA performs any balance tweaks to the US version and eleminates a few quasi-glitches such as with Athena, KoF:MI should be even better. I've had a copy prepordered for a few months.

robot

Not to derail the thread, but which KOF is everyones fav? I was looking into picking up one of the older ones for the Neo Geo (they're starting to lower in price).

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
A favorite past KoF and a good game to shove in an MVS unit is KoF98 - packed with characters and has something for everyone. Personally, I'm also partial to KoF 96 due to great background concepts and great music. Also, while it gets hate for some aspects like background graphics and music, I rather got in to KoF2001 after playing it a while. I really like the flexibility in structuring the team.

belgurdo

Banned
robot said:
Not to derail the thread, but which KOF is everyones fav? I was looking into picking up one of the older ones for the Neo Geo (they're starting to lower in price).

2000 and 2003

Lyte Edge

robot said:

KOF '98 is the all-time best KOF, no question. After that, I'd go with KOF 2002 (which is essentially the "sequel" to '98) and KOF 2003.

I'm not a big fan of the striker KOF games ('99-2001); the tag system in KOF 2003 is much better. If you want a striker KOF, I'd actually go with 2001, even though as already pointed out, it's got weak graphics and horrible music, even for recent KOF games.

Bottom line though, if you only want one KOF game, go with '98....it's easily one of the best, if not the best fighting game to come out from SNK.

Lyte Edge

Kaijima said:
KoF: MI garbage? Read this review:

http://www.neogeoforlife.com/nonneoreviews/ps2/the_king_of_fighters_maximum_impact_ps2.shtml

It's inevitable that a 3D KoF game is going to get hate no matter how good it is. Especially from 2D fighting fans who, to be honest, can be some of the narrow-minded snobs on Earth. However, in addition to that review, people at the snk-capcom.com forums - some major NeoGeo fans mind you - generally think it's a great game. In point of fact, one of the main things that keep it from being a superior KoF game is merely some balance issues, which are not even that bad. So far, the game isn't very "broken".

If SNKUSA performs any balance tweaks to the US version and eleminates a few quasi-glitches such as with Athena, KoF:MI should be even better. I've had a copy prepordered for a few months.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with Kazuya; the game's a solid 8 and pretty damn fun for what it is. It's also not going to be for everyone though, and that includes KOF fans as well. BTW, that Athena "100% combo" is going to be almost impossible to pull off in anything but training mode, since your opponent is always going to recover before it can finish.

Top Bottom