• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koshien 2015 | Japan National High School Baseball Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monumma

And with the RBI hit from the star (that is double the size of the umpire) this game said all that it had to say.

And the inning continues, first and third, 1 out.

edit: has Kiyomiya taken a pitch in the first inning? both is second and third AB he swung at the first pitch.

6-0.

Beckx

6-0, Imbari does not have the firepower to come back.

打点 (daten) (abbreviated sometimes in stat lines as 点)

I have some kanji & terms in the OP

Edit: but oh, if you're asking what it generally, see post below.

Beckx

Imabari down to their last 3 outs. Matsumoto on cruise control. Early games are hard to judge but Waseda Jitsugyo could go pretty far.

Monumma

And this is it.

Back in half an hour as the spring champions try to double up.
This is how Hiranuma dominated 5 months ago.

edit: why can't I see the aquarius ads? ;_;

scotcheggz

Cool OP, thanks for this. I don't even like baseball, I'm from the UK so I just don't get it, but my dad has always been a big fan and tried to get me into it a few times in the past. I learnt Japanese for over a decade now so know all about Koshien through pop culture etc. but never actually seen it.

For some reason this is more fun than the MLB (is that what its called? Think my dad subscribes to MLB to watch games..) Is it just because they're a bit shit in comparison, so it's really fast paced or something? I can't put my finger on it.

Cool OP, thanks for this. I don't even like baseball, I'm from the UK so I just don't get it, but my dad has always been a big fan and tried to get me into it a few times in the past. I learnt Japanese for over a decade now so know all about Koshien through pop culture etc. but never actually seen it.

For some reason this is more fun than the MLB (is that what its called? Think my dad subscribes to MLB to watch games..) Is it just because they're a bit shit in comparison, so it's really fast paced or something? I can't put my finger on it.

MLB is a lot less messy. They have the training and whatnot. That's for starters. Here is just a display of raw talent, will, and crushing defeat.

Beckx

Welcome! Kokoyakyu is awesome :)

The single biggest difference is the pace between pitches. Pitchers don't take long and batters don't step out.

---------------

aww man, I knew Hiroshima Shinjyo was going to run into a train in the second round but per @eigokokoyakyu they've drawn Waseda Jitsugyo.

scotcheggz

MLB is a lot less messy. They have the training and whatnot. That's for starters. Here is just a display of raw talent, will, and crushing defeat.

Welcome! Kokoyakyu is awesome :)

The single biggest difference is the pace between pitches. Pitchers don't take long and batters don't step out.

Ahh right, I found that game really fun. I clicked the link thinking I'll just check it out.. 7 innings later and I'm texting my friend in Tokyo to find out about the teams and rooting for Imabara Nishi lol. Apparently the next team is a pretty famous school or something? Meitoku Gijuku? I'm rooting for the underdogs again!

Beckx

Ahh right, I found that game really fun. I clicked the link thinking I'll just check it out.. 7 innings later and I'm texting my friend in Tokyo to find out about the teams and rooting for Imabara Nishi lol. Apparently the next team is a pretty famous school or something? Meitoku Gijuku? I'm rooting for the underdogs again!

They're playing Tsuruga Kehi, the school that won Senbatsu (the spring Koshien tournament, which is less prestigious but still hype). If there is an underdog it might be Meitoku Gijuku but this could be a barn burner. The major sports papers rank Tsuruga Kehi as one of the two top dogs in the tournament.

Hiranuma on the mound warming up. Get hype!

Monumma

aww man, I knew Hiroshima Shinjyo was going to run into a train in the second round but per @eigokokoyakyu they've drawn Waseda Jitsugyo.

It was good knowing them.

There are 2 tournaments per year, the first is an invitation tournament and the second (this one) you have to qualify for. Tsuruga kehi won the invitation tournament this spring.

edit: Game started, they are clearly handicapping themselves to keep the game fair, I like the attitude.

Beckx

Oof. Hiranuma not looking sharp at all.

And then bad luck as a wild slap at a pitch out of the zone gets a run in.

Monumma

Wow. I guess you can count that as a hit. Let's see how meitoku comes out for their defence.

Also, 1 bunt and 1 dp. Start drinking, Fass.

Twentieth

This is my first time watching Koshien and I'm excited for the finals. I really apreciate how passionately these kids play and the fact that this is a true national championship (4000 schools? are you kidding me?).

Hoping for some upsets!

Beckx

any rundown on the teams playing now?

I like this summary "a matchup such as this early on means one less team to worry about" for the other competitors.

----

oh. OH. There's that nasty slider.

------

Here's the man Matsumoto, he of the back to back grand slams at Senbatsu

They want nothing to do with him, then hit the next guy. Manrui chance!

Monumma

AMA-CHAN.

Bases loaded. But they get nothing out of it.

edit: Hiranuma pitching all over the places, 1 run scores.
2 run scores. 3-0. That's more earned run than in all senbatsu, right?

edit: that catch. Left field seems way to close in this stadium, i would intentionally walk every right handed batter.

Beckx

Home run!

On the way back

And Hiranuma with three hits tonight

C'mon Yamamoto and Matsumoto, bring in the runs

Monumma

2nd HR of the tournament by (i guess) SS Hayashinaka.
Base hit by Hiranuma

and Tsuruga Kehi tries to rally.
also AMA-CHAN

edit: Yamamoto singles, fist and second, no out. Pitching change.
the man (Matsumoto) is clutch as hell.
sac fly, 3-2, man on first and second, 1 out.
inning over, but Kehi is back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom